Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Everything is over for gamers..............OR IS IT?!
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Yesss Throw another log on the fire boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the best part of this whole thing is /v/ trying to sponsor women in gaming, because it makes zoe's defenders look really non-credible when they try to claim the harassment due to her being a woman in games.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Lobster Harmonica posted:

send videogame bloggers in there to snort up all the scent like dogs in heat

haha

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Breaking rank would probably bring the wrath (being unfollowed oh no) by more important people.

Someone will likely do it in the next week or two because their precious game reporting job is at stake.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

argondamn posted:

the best part of this whole thing is /v/ trying to sponsor women in gaming, because it makes zoe's defenders look really non-credible when they try to claim the harassment due to her being a woman in games.

it's honestly win win and I'm really glad to hear theyre doing it

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Actually this would be pretty funny if we got this trending.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So is this the end of SJWs? Will rational discourse and reasonable attempts to correct social inequalities return to the Internet? I am on the edge of my seat here folks.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So is this the end of SJWs? Will rational discourse and reasonable attempts to correct social inequalities return to the Internet? I am on the edge of my seat here folks.

yes I think we're gonna see some real changes around the internet after this for sure

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

toggle posted:

how would you get the smell of her out of a room/house?

Same way the coroner clears smells out of houses where people die unside and rot for several days.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

argondamn posted:

not just that, but also to be like "see, there IS stuff you can do to get women into gaming/women involved in gaming but you guys don't cover any of that poo poo because you are garbage journalists that only know how to quote your roommates"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

yes I think we're gonna see some real changes around the internet after this for sure

#hope #change #canyouhearthepeoplesing

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm pretty sure that /v/'s still sexist otherwise this drama wouldn't have existed in the first place. But they're just trying to convince themselves that they aren't and there totally is a higher cause and reason to get mad about this poo poo so they ended up actually doing something good for once.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

#hope #change #canyouhearthepeoplesing

my favorite part is how we also get the bonus exile of Phil Fish since he latched real hard onto this sinking zoe ship for no reason

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

drat they nailed everything in that. Wondrous.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Frank Viola posted:

Same way the coroner clears smells out of houses where people die unside and rot for several days.

Enzymes

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

This is pro click as gently caress.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

lol, srs reddit creator/reddit bomb guy/former goon losing his mind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

my favorite thing in thread

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Since game journos have been harping on the "evil gamers" thing, I think this is a pretty good read that makes excellent points (long as gently caress though, I only read about half and skimmed through the rest)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Getting ready to take this post on the road. Reddit uses the same bbcode as this place, right?

A charity event to promote women in gaming is the victim of a complete media blackout from gaming press

The Fine Young Capitalists (I'll call them TFYC) are running a game jam with the goals of encouraging women to join the gaming industry, producing a game, and donating to charity. They have taken ideas from women about cool games they'd like to make, produced five pitches, produced concept art, and are now asking for votes to determine which of these games will be made.

The woman who has their idea selected will be placed it the role of Producer, and recieve an 8% cut of the proceeds. TFYC's own production staff will produce the game over 6 months. Most of the money goes to charity.

Over the past week, TFYC has recieved thousands of dollars in donations from 4chan. I'll repeat that. A charity event to promote women in the gaming industry has recieved thousands of dollars in donations from 4CHAN. Does this sound interesting yet? Newsworthy, even?

On February 28th, TFYC was attacked. The were doxxed, banned from twitter, and their server was hit with a DDOS attack. They have recovered from this and are still pushing the event forward, despite losing $10,000 cash out of pocket when their sponsors backed out.

No gaming website will report on any of this. They will not even acknowledge the existence of this charity game jam. People who are aware of this situation have been trying to reach gaming journalists through comments sections, twitter, or anything else. I can only imagine what their inboxes look like as requests to run the TFYC story come in.

The media blackout continues on every gaming site. There are a few non-gaming sites that have run the story, though. They all have something in common: when they report on the February 28th attack, there is a conspicuous absense fact checking or investigation of any kind.

Let's look at all 4 of these articles.

Cinemablend ran this story on the FYC Game Jam. Here's their explanation for the attack directed at TFYC on Feburary 28th:

quote:

Sadly, the original campaign was derailed and shutdown. I can openly say that The Fine Young Capitalists are back up and running after incurring several hack attacks and additional shutdown attempts by detractors. The iron will of those supporting the project refuse to let it die.

"I can openly say...". Writers don't include a phrase like that unless a gag order is involved.

When Vice Media ran a story on the charity event, they wrote this:

quote:

To add fuel (irrelevant fuel, but fuel nonetheless) to the fire, a Reddit user claimed that Quinn purposely sabotaged a female-centric “game jam,” sponsored by feminist group The Fine Young Capitalists, in order to promote her own female-centric game jam, Rebel Jam. Needless to say, this is not the kind of event that 4chan’s gaming community would get excited about. But they’d developed a taste for blood, and they saw an opportunity to make Quinn look bad...

The reddit user in question was SillySladar, one of the main organizers of the event.

The comments section on that article is being heavily moderated. It used to look like this.

When Techcrunch ran their article, they were deliberately vague.

quote:

This attack was not one of hackers looking to take on Indiegogo as a whole, but was related to a specific online controversy between gamers and their supporters which TFYC was involved in. The narrative involves Zoe Quinn, the game developer who was reportedly sexually harassed. Further details came out after news about her story hit that put her claims into question.

That has led to an ongoing mini-war between the two sides in this matter, which 4chan has also been involved in.

You can find an identical strategy in the piece on Slate.com

quote:

When I hear that 4chan gamers raised $13,000 for the project, I thought, “Fantastic!” Some people will say that male gamers are just doing it out of spite, that the only reason you’re donating to women in gaming is because the organizers of the campaign don’t like Zoe Quinn either (they allege she sabotaged their project). Let them think that.

Again, a simple link to knowyourmeme.com and no research or fact checking of any kind.

Nobody will discuss or investigate the attack on TFYC from February 28th. No gaming website will report the existence of the FYC Game Jam at all.

Well, here. You can do your own research on the February 28th attack on The Fine Young Capitalists. I was able to dig up this information after deploying my marginal Twitter skills.

Scroll down to about 7 pm EST and work your way up to watch everything unfold. You will see the tweets from Zoe Quinn (@zoequinnzel) and Maya Kramer (@legobutts) as they discover and discuss the FYC game jam.

6:59: @legobutts discovers TFYC
7:09: @zoequinnzel demonstrates a massive failure in reading comprehension
7:18: @zoequinnzel decides she is 'skeeved out'
7:19: @legobutts notices her followers are all talking about this
7:28: @zoequinnzel decides to contact TFYC
7:30: @zoequinnzel contacts TFYC
7:32: @TFYCapitalists offers to schedule an interview
7:32: @legobutts retweets a post by @aerox47 showing a screencap of the facebook page of an FYC organizer, doxxing them
7:33: @zoequinnzel notices that the FYC website has crashed
7:34: @zoequinnzel begins asking questions
You can see that, at 7:38 and 7:39, @TFYCapitalists posted a couple answers. They were unable to participate in the conversation after this point because their twitter account was banned. Everyone else carried on making fun of TFYC.
7:48: @zoequinnzel wishes should could talk to TFYC a bit more

11:26: TFYC sarcastically thanks @legobutt for pointing out the flaws in his facebook privacy settings.
The facebook screencap (which has since been deleted) showed a post from december asking for an actress who could 'sound smart' to come in. These videos were produced when they hired that actress.

It didn't stop there.

May: TFYC was unable to get any journalists to cover them.
Even as work proceeded and concept art was being produced, they still couldn't get ay attention.
July: They resorted to paying for press releases.
August: Quinngate explodes. TFYC finally gets some attention. The original post has been replaced by a soundcloud link where you can hear the whole story.

This morning The Fine Young Capitalists posted their truce with Zoe Quinn.

quote:

Regarding our grievances with Zoe Quinn, an associate of hers, posted my Facebook information. Zoe did not add any information to the post, nor did she post my phone number or email. The subsequent death threat I received via email was not orchestrated by Zoe. Nor was the DDOSing of our website or the banning of us from Twitter. She was simply the most famous voice in a choir of people that did not understand the project.

Zoe Quinn has posted her own response to everything that's happening.

quote:

Regarding the claim that I doxxed and destroyed The Fine Young Capitalists, that is also incorrect. ... I know that when things kick up online it can be hard to sort out who did what, but aside from their own statement, there is zero evidence of this. What I did do was be critical of some of their policies on twitter, because as someone who has taught women game design and created programs to help them get started making their first games I get really passionate about this stuff. We have different approaches but share the same wish to get women involved with game development, and I wish them the best of luck in accomplishing that.

Still, no gaming websites are mentioning, or even acknowledging the existence of the FYC game jam. Nobody anywhere is to mention that a small indie dev community attacked a charity game jam. Not a single gaming site is willing to touch this. As the media blackout goes on, a charity organization that needs donations is being denied the attention they need in order to be successful.

Let it be clear that this is not a gender issue. The MRAs and the SJWs can have the biggest, most pointless twitter war they feel like having. It really doesn't matter. TFYC is working to promote women in the gaming industry, working to provide money to cancer research, and working to keep their own operation running while everyone who should be supporting them works against them in the most harmful way possible.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Azraelle posted:

I know the guy who wrote this and I can confirm that this is 100% true. Video game companies are pretty loving livid at journalists pissing on their audience instead on doing real reporting. EA apparently is pretty angry that coverage of the sims 4 is being pushed back by lovely SJW bullshit.

Neato as poo poo.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ, I can't believe Zoe Quinn killed gamers.

What's the point of even posting anymore.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Waltzing Along posted:

my favorite thing in thread

Full playlist

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Adams posted:

Getting ready to take this post on the road. Reddit uses the same bbcode as this place, right?

A charity event to promote women in gaming is the victim of a complete media blackout from gaming press

The Fine Young Capitalists (I'll call them TFYC) are running a game jam with the goals of encouraging women to join the gaming industry, producing a game, and donating to charity. They have taken ideas from women about cool games they'd like to make, produced five pitches, produced concept art, and are now asking for votes to determine which of these games will be made.

The woman who has their idea selected will be placed it the role of Producer, and recieve an 8% cut of the proceeds. TFYC's own production staff will produce the game over 6 months. Most of the money goes to charity.

Over the past week, TFYC has recieved thousands of dollars in donations from 4chan. I'll repeat that. A charity event to promote women in the gaming industry has recieved thousands of dollars in donations from 4CHAN. Does this sound interesting yet? Newsworthy, even?

On February 28th, TFYC was attacked. The were doxxed, banned from twitter, and their server was hit with a DDOS attack. They have recovered from this and are still pushing the event forward, despite losing $10,000 cash out of pocket when their sponsors backed out.

No gaming website will report on any of this. They will not even acknowledge the existence of this charity game jam. People who are aware of this situation have been trying to reach gaming journalists through comments sections, twitter, or anything else. I can only imagine what their inboxes look like as requests to run the TFYC story come in.

The media blackout continues on every gaming site. There are a few non-gaming sites that have run the story, though. They all have something in common: when they report on the February 28th attack, there is a conspicuous absense fact checking or investigation of any kind.

Let's look at all 4 of these articles.

Cinemablend ran this story on the FYC Game Jam. Here's their explanation for the attack directed at TFYC on Feburary 28th:

"I can openly say...". Writers don't include a phrase like that unless a gag order is involved.

When Vice Media ran a story on the charity event, they wrote this:

The reddit user in question was SillySladar, one of the main organizers of the event.

The comments section on that article is being heavily moderated. It used to look like this.

When Techcrunch ran their article, they were deliberately vague.

You can find an identical strategy in the piece on Slate.com

Again, a simple link to knowyourmeme.com and no research or fact checking of any kind.

Nobody will discuss or investigate the attack on TFYC from February 28th. No gaming website will report the existence of the FYC Game Jam at all.

Well, here. You can do your own research on the February 28th attack on The Fine Young Capitalists. I was able to dig up this information after deploying my marginal Twitter skills.

Scroll down to about 7 pm EST and work your way up to watch everything unfold. You will see the tweets from Zoe Quinn (@zoequinnzel) and Maya Kramer (@legobutts) as they discover and discuss the FYC game jam.

6:59: @legobutts discovers TFYC
7:09: @zoequinnzel demonstrates a massive failure in reading comprehension
7:18: @zoequinnzel decides she is 'skeeved out'
7:19: @legobutts notices her followers are all talking about this
7:28: @zoequinnzel decides to contact TFYC
7:30: @zoequinnzel contacts TFYC
7:32: @TFYCapitalists offers to schedule an interview
7:32: @legobutts retweets a post by @aerox47 showing a screencap of the facebook page of an FYC organizer, doxxing them
7:33: @zoequinnzel notices that the FYC website has crashed
7:34: @zoequinnzel begins asking questions
You can see that, at 7:38 and 7:39, @TFYCapitalists posted a couple answers. They were unable to participate in the conversation after this point because their twitter account was banned. Everyone else carried on making fun of TFYC.
7:48: @zoequinnzel wishes should could talk to TFYC a bit more

11:26: TFYC sarcastically thanks @legobutt for pointing out the flaws in his facebook privacy settings.
The facebook screencap (which has since been deleted) showed a post from december asking for an actress who could 'sound smart' to come in. These videos were produced when they hired that actress.

It didn't stop there.

May: TFYC was unable to get any journalists to cover them.
Even as work proceeded and concept art was being produced, they still couldn't get ay attention.
July: They resorted to paying for press releases.
August: Quinngate explodes. TFYC finally gets some attention. The original post has been replaced by a soundcloud link where you can hear the whole story.

This morning The Fine Young Capitalists posted their truce with Zoe Quinn.

Zoe Quinn has posted her own response to everything that's happening.

Still, no gaming websites are mentioning, or even acknowledging the existence of the FYC game jam. Nobody anywhere is to mention that a small indie dev community attacked a charity game jam. Not a single gaming site is willing to touch this. As the media blackout goes on, a charity organization that needs donations is being denied the attention they need in order to be successful.

Let it be clear that this is not a gender issue. The MRAs and the SJWs can have the biggest, most pointless twitter war they feel like having. It really doesn't matter. TFYC is working to promote women in the gaming industry, working to provide money to cancer research, and working to keep their own operation running while everyone who should be supporting them works against them in the most harmful way possible.

gently caress this thread.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Let's get SA touching the poop this is a great idea for reasons

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

Let's get SA touching the poop this is a great idea for reasons

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
everybody be calm and pray for my man @AdamBaldwin as he is collecting chi to defeat the gay eve online magazine once and for all

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Unless something funny happens before PAX, this thread's gonna take a little break.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Welcome back, cucksters!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Its like they found a new level of stupid to obtain.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
whatever gamer+ entails, i'm prepared to denounce it and propose gamer++ in response

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lmao somebody go start a #ProGamer hashtag

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Welcome back, cucksters!

CUCKAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD, BROTHER!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm a gamer+™ brought to you by Mtn. Dew™ and Microsoft® Xbox® One™. i'm friendly and accessible to everyone.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
peak drama has been achieved

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
God I hope this is real, just because if it is, it will ensure that this stuff will never stop.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Announcing to the world that it is no longer allowed to use a nondescript inoffensive word because Team Zoe Quinn says so will go over great

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
no clue what atheism+ is so I looked it up

rationalewiki posted:

Atheism Plus (also rendered Atheism+) was a movement proposed in 2012 by blogger Jen McCreight. Its original definition was rather nebulous, but in general it is intended to be a subset of the atheism movement that attempts to unite atheists who wish to use their shared atheist identity as a basis for addressing political and social issues and engaging in related activism. Its scope is intended to go beyond the question of (non-)belief to address additional issues, including but not limited to critical thinking, skepticism, social justice, feminism, anti-racism, and combating homophobia and transphobia. In other words, a place for some of the more liberal (in the American meaning of the word) atheists who are sick of being lumped together with people whose ideals they don't share.

The idea originated as a reaction to the nastiness flung about during a controversy over (sexual) harassment policies at atheist/skeptical conferences, which in turn was a re-ignition of the controversy over sexism in those two movements that had been smoldering since Elevatorgate.

The initiative largely went nowhere, and proponents don't use the term any more. But the phrase remains in use by those implacably opposed to the idea of being an atheist but not being an rear end in a top hat, particularly Reddit anti-feminists and fans of Thunderf00t. Unironic use of the term is a reliable indicator of an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Atheism+?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/08/atheism/

quote:

We are…
Atheists plus we care about social justice,
Atheists plus we support women’s rights,
Atheists plus we protest racism,
Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

• Locked thread