Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I rarely listen to power metal. I found Dragonforce way too cheesy and only sampled a bit of Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle-Earth. The newest Sabaton album Heroes has taken me by storm. Such powerful songs and great stories! It's like getting a history lesson with my metal.

Listen to Angra. Temple of Shadows is one of my favorite Euro power albums, and it's got a really cool historical/philosophical concept behind it. There's some really cheesy ballad-type songs, but the majority is fast and energetic stuff with amazing guitar work and drumming.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Oh man, is Gory Blister still around? I really dug Art Bleeds. Actually everything that was on the now (presumably defunct) Sekhmet records was pretty good.

Yeah they just released something this year. I've heard it's not too great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but are there any more groups that sound like or similar to Deafheaven? In all candor I normally don't go in for metal at all, but I heard Sunbather yesterday and really, really liked it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sunshine Mix posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but are there any more groups that sound like or similar to Deafheaven? In all candor I normally don't go in for metal at all, but I heard Sunbather yesterday and really, really liked it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Blackgaze/

I would also recommend screamo bands like City of Caterpillar, Daitro and Gospel. In all honesty I think Sunbather is closer to that sound than to black metal.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
boris

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

sucks

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Sunshine Mix posted:

Griefloss will probably do it for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lassKx3SH2c.

Also that rateyourmusic list has some similar good stuff on it, but also a lot of bands that would never be considered "blackgaze." I'd recommend checking out Alcest, Lantlôs, Heretoir, Fen, or Falloch.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Sunshine Mix posted:

Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy. Best blackgaze album ever IMO

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

John Magnum posted:

http://metalblade.com/anaalnathrakh/
New Anaal Nathrakh song "Icon", new album Desideratum comes out October 28th.

It feels like Anaal Nathrakh has rewritten this same song dozens of times, but it's still awesome

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i was just browsing through a collection of old riders (bands' catering/setup instructions to the venue) when I came across pantera's

"Philip's Gym"

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Blackgaze/

I would also recommend screamo bands like City of Caterpillar, Daitro and Gospel. In all honesty I think Sunbather is closer to that sound than to black metal.

I would really recommend Envy.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

gggiiimmmppp posted:

i was just browsing through a collection of old riders (bands' catering/setup instructions to the venue) when I came across pantera's

"Philip's Gym"

So what happens to anything left over? Chucked in the garbage? I mean, it is Pantera, and their probably wasn't much left over, but that's a lot of food and drink for anyone.

I know nothing of the catering biz, so that's why I'm asking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's usually a chain of leftovers consumers.. like when the top brass gets catering where I work, middle managers get first dibs on leftovers, then the support staff (because they know that the leftovers exist) and maybe by 4:30 in the evening all the cubicle drones get word that there's leftovers (which by that point is actually just some limp lettuce, some soggy sandwiches, and some crumbs from the cheese and crackers tray).

I've never worked a concert but I imagine once the band leaves the roadies get a shot at it, then venue staff, and whatever's left gets shoveled into the dumpsters.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

2004 Metallica's is 24 pages and this is the only mention of booze:

All they want backstage is a bunch of diet coke and sugar free redbull and poo poo :gay:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Well if they get alcohol, then James will have to run off to Siberia for another year and then we get another St Anger

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NarkyBark posted:

Well if they get alcohol, then James will have to run off to Siberia for another year and then we get another St Anger

Which leaves it up to we, the fans, to drink all the alcohol in James' place.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vargatron posted:

Which leaves it up to we, the fans, to drink all the alcohol in James' place.

Beers on me.

I AM THE TABLE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That box set Metallica put out like 20 years ago had a copy of one of their riders in there. IIRC it was massive because they had a couple diabetics in their crew so they had to have two sets of a bunch of stuff.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hey st. Anger is a pretty good album , just not a good Metallica album. :v:

Also it is very weird to read a thread about poo poo Fucker and GRIEFLOSS being discussed completely deadpan.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-DUlSz8g4

Thoughts on the new Midnight album? Seems to be more of the same blackened speed metal goodness of their last album only better and with more of a budget.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zodijackylite posted:

Beers on me.

I AM THE TABLE

:golfclap:

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

deadking posted:

Griefloss will probably do it for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lassKx3SH2c.

I'm just getting around to listening to this now, and drat is it good. Thanks for the post...I'd never heard of 'em.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

God drat this new Opeth is on point.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's like they took Heritage and actually made songs with that stuff.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh I am really impressed, it sounds really focused and removes all of the rambling lack of direction that Heritage had.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I'm one of those "old fans." I miss the early Opeth. I appreciate their musicality to the moon and back but damnit I need more Black Rose Immortal. I think those days are over, except for live performances. :(

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

COOL CORN posted:

Can we take a second to recognize how amazingly crushing the new Triptykon is?

gently caress, it's so good.

It really, really is. I didn't think they could top the debut, but goddamn, Warrior never ceases to amaze me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IronLawnmower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-DUlSz8g4

Thoughts on the new Midnight album? Seems to be more of the same blackened speed metal goodness of their last album only better and with more of a budget.
It's pretty ace for background music while playing Diablo 3.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Do you like Iron Maiden? Do you like vinyl? Here you go!

There are very few bands better at selling the same songs a dozen times over than Iron Maiden.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

HJB posted:

There are very few bands better at selling the same songs a dozen times over than Iron Maiden.

ACDC are the masters of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-3liHqANyg
I wish Joel Grind would release more War Ripper material.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IronLawnmower posted:

ACDC are the masters of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-3liHqANyg
I wish Joel Grind would release more War Ripper material.

Holy poo poo those vocals. Yeah I agree, some more yellowgoat/this would be awesome.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Holy poo poo those vocals. Yeah I agree, some more yellowgoat/this would be awesome.

Doesn't seem likely however as Toxic Holocaust is basically a licence to print money.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure there are like five metal bands in the US who can claim to print money and Toxic Holocaust is not one of them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
More like 5 in the world

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've always assumed bands have an easier time in Europe since well-known metal bands seem to have albums chart there frequently and they have tons of big festivals.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've always assumed bands have an easier time in Europe since well-known metal bands seem to have albums chart there frequently and they have tons of big festivals.
A platinum album in Finland sells 20,000 copies. A platinum album in the United States sells 1,000,000 copies. Charting doesn't have quite the same financial reward in each country.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Misogynist posted:

A platinum album in Finland sells 20,000 copies. A platinum album in the United States sells 1,000,000 copies. Charting doesn't have quite the same financial reward in each country.

Yeah bands here have actually been promoting themselves by purchasing enough copies of their own singles to top the singles chart. It's relatively cheap PR and a slightly depressing indication of the current state of physical media sales in Finland.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't think anyone anywhere buys CDs these days.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I do. I haven't caught onto that whole downloading thing just yet. :toot:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I saw somewhere that around here there are sold far more new turntables than new CD players now. Expect vinyl will survive as a niche product for collectors long after CDs are gone.

(The above statistic certainly does not take into account computers with optical drives -- what I've done with all the CDs I've bought during the last decade is basically to rip them to mp3 and rarely touch the physical CD after that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I gotta recommend Cauldron, they've delighted me lately.

Say, anyone have recommendations for recent heavy metal / speed metal bands? Or power metal in that ballpark, stuff like say Enforcer? Also Zuul, etc?

I'll also throw a recommendation for the fun Finland band Battle Beast, cheesy in a great way, great riffs, a band to keep an eye on.