Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Raiad posted:

This show is so stupid, but I adore every loving second of it.

Retconning someone's death by making it into a horrible prank played on the stupidest party member is the best thing

The reason DIO isn't equipped for the hell he's called down is because even he isn't as evil as the people coming to kill him. He's all big, flamboyant evil that is designed to show how much better than you he is and just how evil he's being. The entire JoJos team will horrifically brutalize their own team members for casual entertainment, and not even care that much. Man just isn't in the same league as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Spacedad posted:

I mean compared to American (mainstream superhero) comics. In fact, characters dying and staying dead was one of my earliest memories of anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5i3H-mgoTE

(And this series is the king of 'anyone can die and will stay dead' series.)

There's plenty of manga/anime that plot-armors its heroes just as badly as American comics often do. But there's a considerable amount that don't, and that always set them apart for me from western comics.

Oh gently caress off. You can't use ideon to make a point that point. It's a tomino show that's what he does.

loving Goku has come back to life more times than any american comic book character I can remember.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Seriously, Goku is the example people are going with? That series explicitly had a plot contrivance for bringing people back to life.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not that surprised that a character in jojo has come back to life considering it happened 2 times already in the previous arcs (Dio and Stroheim)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dio's come back 3 times. Also Joseph came back after the Cars fight.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Uznare posted:

loving Goku has come back to life more times than any american comic book character I can remember.

yeah because two is such a high number.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

After this episode Avdol and Joseph being old friends makes perfect sense.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Manga has less nonsensical resurrections than superhero stuff because you don't end up in the situation where a new author wants to use someone else's expired creations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Could someone post the "bam" sfx used when Avdol said "YES, I AM!"? I tried looking it up but I can't recognize japanese characters terribly well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BambooEarpick posted:

This episode had so much good stuff in it. Oh my god. Just a great episode.

And Avdol is back! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUnDhf97C0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyDOoRt2wo

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:smug: TSK TSK
:stare: You?! But you're dead-
:smuggo: TSK TSK TSK TSK

Goddamn I love this part of the series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Eeevil posted:

Seriously, Goku is the example people are going with? That series explicitly had a plot contrivance for bringing people back to life.

Seriously, you want some bullshit plot armor, look at Bleach. Motherfuckers getting gashes the size of traffic lanes across their chest and being totally cool as long as someone wraps it up sometime this year. It's only after Kubo decided to quit after this arc that he decided the character sheet can use some pruning.

VanFTMan
Jun 10, 2014
You know, I'm surprised no one mentioned that the submarine says "4U" on it. Was that in the original?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VanFTMan posted:

You know, I'm surprised no one mentioned that the submarine says "4U" on it. Was that in the original?

Yeah, but I must be dumb or something because I don't get the deal with it. What's so special about 4U?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Seriously, you want some bullshit plot armor, look at Bleach. Motherfuckers getting gashes the size of traffic lanes across their chest and being totally cool as long as someone wraps it up sometime this year. It's only after Kubo decided to quit after this arc that he decided the character sheet can use some pruning.

On their defense, they are spirits. And those gashes? spirit gashes. That gallon of blood? ghost blood. Hinamori cut in half? here, have some specter aspirin.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah I think you get a bit of an exception when like 90% of the cast is actual dead people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

VanFTMan posted:

I brought that up. Though, in hindsight, it might've been in the general thread.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, but I must be dumb or something because I don't get the deal with it. What's so special about 4U?

Just a continuation of the Hail/Hell 2U gag.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
After all that zombie horror shenanigans, I think Avdol being really gung-ho about peeing in a guy's mouth was the scariest part of the episode. I guess he's been a little stir-crazy for the last couple of weeks.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Every episode of Jojo has at least one of the good guys getting stabbed/shot/superpunched (usually in a vital area) and/or leaking gallons of blood and barely feeling it or slowing down even as they formulate their plan. Then they don't have as much as a scratch next episode because it's not called Jojo's Lay Down in a Hospital Bed for Two Months to Recover and Still Have Permanent Injuries Adventure. I'm not trying to insult you, I just don't get why you'd pick Bleach as an standout example of bullshit biology in regards to the effects of combat in fiction.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

you're a big poster

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Uznare posted:

Oh gently caress off. You can't use ideon to make a point that point. It's a tomino show that's what he does.

And I agree with that - the plot armor in a lot of anime is ridiculous. However, for kids who grew up on lovely cartoons and comics where everything was sanitized and sugar-coated, exposure to characters dying with consequences was a mind-blowing revelation that actually helped get me into anime in the first place.

I remember being blown away by the idea that an apparent main character could actually get killed off a few episodes in to one of the shows I was watching. It left a pretty indelible impression on me.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 30, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulcleaver posted:

Every episode of Jojo has at least one of the good guys getting stabbed/shot/superpunched (usually in a vital area) and/or leaking gallons of blood and barely feeling it or slowing down even as they formulate their plan. Then they don't have as much as a scratch next episode because it's not called Jojo's Lay Down in a Hospital Bed for Two Months to Recover and Still Have Permanent Injuries Adventure. I'm not trying to insult you, I just don't get why you'd pick Bleach as an standout example of bullshit biology in regards to the effects of combat in fiction.

Well all anime and manga have ridiculous bullshit, I'm not saying they don't. Some just throw out everything we know about biology way more than others. I'm sure you can pick crazier poo poo than my example, it's just one of the series I'm most familiar with. Despite what you're saying, Jojo's is actually much better about it than other series. At least people actually die from their injuries.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Soulcleaver posted:

Jojo's as we've seen often has the characters being horribly maimed and then being a-okay in the next story. It used to be you could justify the healing as being part of hamon in arcs 1 and 2, but not so in this arc - so the absurd gore (with notable exceptions, when characters lose limbs or really do die) is really just there for exaggerated entertainment.

I think it might be a result of Araki just taking for granted that his characters would heal up for a new story the following week. Still, if he was cycling through different characters under attack each week, he could have had the ones not on the menu with their arms in a sling and stitches or something. Or have Jotaro doing surgery with SP, or Joseph using hamon to heal up bad wounds. (Hell, even getting Avdol to cauterize bleeding would be nice.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 30, 2014

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Uznare posted:

Jean Grey. These days none of the X-Men are even surprised when she comes back.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tell me about DIO, why does he wear the mask?!?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Zeruel posted:

Tell me about DIO, why does he wear the mask?!?

If I pull that fleshbud off will you die?

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 30, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhygezenguro posted:

Jean Grey? Pfffttt. Amateur.

Mister Immortal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhygezenguro posted:

Her power is literally called Phoenix though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

trucutru posted:

Jean Grey? Pfffttt. Amateur.

Mister Immortal.

But Mr Immortal never really leaves, does he?

Could anyone recommend me an anime or manga similar to Battle Tendency? I really enjoyed Part 2 for the creative use of Hamon and Joseph's ability to always stay one step ahead of his enemy, but I've never got that same wit from the other parts. I loved the concept of having a very straightforward power that doesn't suddenly level up in the middle of a fight but was used in unorthodox but really satisfying ways, and JoJo's sleight-of-hand fit this perfectly. And although Stands were a cool addition and ultimately get more milage than Hamon, I'd have loved to see more stuff like this.
So is there anything you could recommend?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Boogaleeboo posted:

The reason DIO isn't equipped for the hell he's called down is because even he isn't as evil as the people coming to kill him. He's all big, flamboyant evil that is designed to show how much better than you he is and just how evil he's being. The entire JoJos team will horrifically brutalize their own team members for casual entertainment, and not even care that much. Man just isn't in the same league as that.
TEAMWORK
manga spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 30, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Relin posted:

TEAMWORK
[/timg]

This isn't the manga thread.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bringing a dead character back to life because the fans liked him is the most stupid, indulgent thing.

But it's exactly the kind of thing I like to be in my JoJos :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when he said 'yes i am' i just started clapping like this reflexively out of joy

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I clapped out of joy when Polnareff and Avdol took part in the timeless male bonding ritual of pissing together (into another man's mouth).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

horriblePencilist posted:

But Mr Immortal never really leaves, does he?

Could anyone recommend me an anime or manga similar to Battle Tendency? I really enjoyed Part 2 for the creative use of Hamon and Joseph's ability to always stay one step ahead of his enemy, but I've never got that same wit from the other parts. I loved the concept of having a very straightforward power that doesn't suddenly level up in the middle of a fight but was used in unorthodox but really satisfying ways, and JoJo's sleight-of-hand fit this perfectly. And although Stands were a cool addition and ultimately get more milage than Hamon, I'd have loved to see more stuff like this.
So is there anything you could recommend?
Hunter X Hunter has some pretty good combat strategy, if that's what you want, especially with some unorthodox power sets/power uses. For instance, one of the ideas brought up in the series is that even if a person generally has better combat ability than you do, that person isn't guaranteed to win due to a number of factors, like the person's physical/mental condition being lower one day versus another, your physical/mental condition being better one day, your outsmarting them, etc.

RatHat posted:

Her power is literally called Phoenix though.
That's arguably not her power, but a spooky thing that uses her as a host.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This loving show... :allears:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Still catching up. I thiiiink I like part 2 more so far, but it's still early on (just got past yellow temperance). Joseph is just such an awesome character with his idiot plans and constant taunts. Also it felt like part 2 had things besides fights but I could be remembering wrong, part 3 is very much "here's who we are fighting today" at this point.

Holy poo poo what does part 3 have against animals though. Why you gotta cut off a puppy's head :( heard it gets worse

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Still catching up. I thiiiink I like part 2 more so far, but it's still early on (just got past yellow temperance). Joseph is just such an awesome character with his idiot plans and constant taunts. Also it felt like part 2 had things besides fights but I could be remembering wrong, part 3 is very much "here's who we are fighting today" at this point.

Holy poo poo what does part 3 have against animals though. Why you gotta cut off a puppy's head :( heard it gets worse

It'll be hard to compare until both series are concluded and you can look at them side by side, but Battle Tendency was by its nature a very focused, driven story, whereas Stardust Crusaders is much more about Araki exploring what Stands can do and having just amazing characters that bounce off each other fantastically. And it does keep getting better and better as Stands get stranger and the fights get longer, with more twists and turns.

Araki is well known to love animals, so the most tragic/evil thing he can think of is violence to animals. It's his fast-track to making someone an irredeemable villain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I clapped out of joy when Polnareff and Avdol took part in the timeless male bonding ritual of pissing together (into another man's mouth).

With attendant rainbows.

I know people were grumbling about the lack of fabulousness after Battle Tendency, so it's nice to see this season getting super gay sometimes. Insofar as non-consensual muscleman watersports can be described as 'nice'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This series is a different sort of homoerotic, much like slapping a mans rear end in a gym.

• Locked thread