Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blurry! posted:

Friends tease and compete with each other all the time. Didn't you ever try to beat your friends in games, or needle/tease them, and get it in return?

There's a pretty significant difference between trying to win a game and what you said, where they're competing in everything from eating to getting through a door.
There's also a fairly significant difference when one has the best super of super-magical powers in the entire world. It opens to a lot of inequality which is far more likely to engender bad feelings than it is friendship.

Asami is incredibly supportive but that is also a part of friendship, not 'being an assistant.' It seems like it is devaluing their scenes together like the car scene or even the one where Asami is being a sparring partner for Korra and saying 'those don't count' or aren't true friendship because they're not snarky enough is just weird. There are friends like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

ImpAtom posted:

There's a pretty significant difference between trying to win a game and what you said, where they're competing in everything from eating to getting through a door.
There's also a fairly significant difference when one has the best super of super-magical powers in the entire world. It opens to a lot of inequality which is far more likely to engender bad feelings than it is friendship.

Actually i think we're talking about the same thing and you probably misinterpreted what i said as something ouyrageous. They'd probably compete at things that weren't bending to even the odds. Like that time Aang and Sokka were playing rock-paper-scissors and Aang flicked him in the face for losing. That was funny and charactetizing. Korra would probably enjoy it given her character. It'd be more fun to watch each girl have an outlet for a little immaturity in a world that demands responsibility of them 24/7 than Asami simply following Korra around all day facilitating her goals with none if her own to speak of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blurry! posted:

Actually i think we're talking about the same thing and you probably misinterpreted what i said as something ouyrageous. They'd probably compete at things that weren't bending to even the odds. Like that time Aang and Sokka were playing rock-paper-scissors and Aang flicked him in the face for losing. That was funny and charactetizing. Korra would probably enjoy it given her character. It'd be more fun to watch each girl have an outlet for a little immaturity in a world that demands responsibility of them 24/7 than Asami simply following Korra around all day facilitating her goals with none if her own to speak of.

I think I get what you're saying now, although I'm not sure I agree.

I think, to me, the reason Korra and Asami works is because they're not competitive. Korra already has to deal with everyone around her challenging her or arguing with her or so-on. She has some supportive people but even then they have a hard time giving her the trust she needs. Asami seems to be the only person, at least as of Season 3, that Korra can really trust and talk to. I think that is more important to her both on a personal level and on a plot level than someone she can directly compete with.

I mean, I wouldn't turn down an episode that was more about their friendship in downtime but the scenes we see feel more like what Korra needs. Asami encouraging her to try to drive the car (even if she sucks at it) feels like the kind of friendship Korra needs more than Asami challenging her to races. What Korra needs most of all from a friend is trust and that is something Asami provides to her.

It does leave Asami having less goals of her own, which is unfortunate. I do hope they improve on that in Season 4, especially if Korra is going to be out of commission for a few episodes, but I also don't think it's the end of the world if a character's primary plot role is being a confidant.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 29, 2014

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

ImpAtom posted:

I think I get what you're saying now, although I'm not sure I agree.

I think, to me, the reason Korra and Asami works is because they're not competitive. Korra already has to deal with everyone around her challenging her or arguing with her or so-on. She has some supportive people but even then they have a hard time giving her the trust she needs. Asami seems to be the only person, at least as of Season 3, that Korra can really trust and talk to. I think that is more important to her both on a personal level and on a plot level than someone she can directly compete with.

I mean, I wouldn't turn down an episode that was more about their friendship in downtime but the scenes we see feel more like what Korra needs. Asami encouraging her to try to drive the car (even if she sucks at it) feels like the kind of friendship Korra needs more than Asami challenging her to races. What Korra needs most of all from a friend is trust and that is something Asami provides to her.

Yeah I'm mostly talking friendly competition and teasing. Korra likes to compete and fight and win and prove herself. Its an upper for her. I think she'd thrive with a friendship based on low stakes competing in non-threatening (her enemies), non condescending (the press and politicians and her challenges at learning airbending) ways would be right up her alley. it'd also be fun to watch. Asami and Korra challenging each other all the time to card games, or eating contests, or first one down the stairs wins would be funny. Especially when it wouldn't be completely appropriate, since they are still teenagers and all.

When Asami messed with Korra in the car, that was good. Or when Korra was messing with Mako. More of that. Asami bringing out the fun, feisty side of Korra and providing her an outlet should feature more than it did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the main thing is that there's not much of a group dynamic. Back in Legend of Aang, a character like Toph had a defined and distinct relationship with every other member of the main cast. I don't think Asami has that—how many times have we seen her interact meaningfully with the important characters who aren't Korra or Mako? I remember the pai sho game with Bolin and that's it.

Of course, part of this is the compressed timescale of seasons 2 and 3. We don't get to see Korra's pals hang out much because it's been a while since they actually got to do that.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

My favorite choice of words for dialogue in the whole season, maybe all of LOK, was when Zaheer said "The Earth Queen was taken down by revolutionaries, including myself." He does not deny his involvement, but he does not single out that he was the one who did it, because he doesn't want to be a figure. More than not even saying his name, which would become apparent after they figured out how the queen died and someone with any brains at all put two and two together, that really showed that he was not at all about personal glory when doing this.
Even when he seemed legit, the show had Amon purposefully built himself up as a savior. None of that with Zaheer.

I agree, this was cool. Zaheer is a foil to Amon and that is highlighted in the final episode when Korra hallucinates Zaheer with Amon's mask.

The key difference is that Zaheer believes every word he says about who he is, even the completely hard-to-believe stuff. Him learning to fly isn't just so he can be a threatening bad guy, it's his "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" moment. His mastery of spirituality manifests in *literal* enlightenment with his ability to fly. It's an even more extreme proof of his views than, say, a firebender being able to lightning-bend proves they can focus. Zaheer doesn't just think he's enlightened--whatever spiritual force that determines whether you're a detached enough airbender to fly agrees with him.

I also think it is cool that it is not a technique he was born with like Noatak's. He earned it through years of meditation and spiritual study, not some Naruto-esque bloodline ability. Amon's preaching of equality and balance was a lie. Zaheer may have been wrong, but he was not lying. Amon wears a mask. Even when Zaheer is pretending to be someone else, he doesn't wear a mask. The hypocrisy of Amon felt like a huge cop-out where the creators of the show didn't want to face the issues they themselves brought up because they want their world to stay the same. Zaheer is ultimately defeated by the fledgling Air Nation, and not basically defeated by himself like Amon was when he waterbended in front of everyone. And unlike the anti-bending movement, the Red Lotus and their agenda will probably not dissolve with their leader. People like their serial shows to actually be serial, with ongoing consequences of actions, rather than just resetting every season finale. So seaosn 3 is a big step up in this way hopefully.

Note that this is probably the first time in the Avatar series where we had a person who has reached a major zenith in spiritual enlightenment as a bad guy. Iroh, Guru Pathik, Aang, Jinora, their spiritual understanding is a big part of what makes them good people and their enlightenment assists them in doing good things. Zaheer's understanding of detachment grants him similar unique powers, and he himself thinks he is a good guy, but the show does not present him as one. It ties in with Aang deciding against total detachment and Iroh telling him he made the right decision.

The Legend of Korra is pretty good for a webseries.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
JV Club podcast with Mike and Bryan, direct link. Not a lot of Korra discussion but still interesting.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think Asami has that—how many times have we seen her interact meaningfully with the important characters who aren't Korra or Mako? I remember the pai sho game with Bolin and that's it.
She's interacted a few times with Bolin in Book 2, when she took him as his assistant to see Verick, gave him counsel on what to do about Eska and accompanied him to the finale of The Nuktuk Chronicles. Except for the one in the middle, those were good moments and I was a bit annoyed that they just happened at the beginning and end. In general, Asami and Bolin seem to have an easy friendship.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Did the Avatar state go down in power level since Korra lost her connection to all the past Avatars because Ang's final Avatar State form where he's like orbited by all the elements was way more on point than anything Korra ever did. Even before mastering all the elements Ang went Avatar state and fought like an entire army as a big water monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Did the Avatar state go down in power level since Korra lost her connection to all the past Avatars because Ang's final Avatar State form where he's like orbited by all the elements was way more on point than anything Korra ever did. Even before mastering all the elements Ang went Avatar state and fought like an entire army as a big water monster.

The only time Korra used the Avatar State significantly this season she was dying of mercury poisoning.

The time Aang became a giant monster wasn't just the Avatar state but another spirit involved as well. The final battle with Ozai also had Aang getting a power boost from Sozen's Comet.

So it's basically "Aang at two times he was abnormally powerful" vs a Korra who is literally dying.

As written, Korra's pure power shouldn't be any weaker but she wouldn't have access to the combined knowledge of her predecessors and thus couldn't do any bending she didn't personally know how to do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 29, 2014

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
According to IGN, Book 4 will air in Australia in January or February. A fall release in the US seems too soon, so maybe they're doing a worldwide release early next year.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I refuse to believe that no one taught the Avatar, especially Roku, to lightningbend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I refuse to believe that no one taught the Avatar, especially Roku, to lightningbend.

It might not have actually been a thing when Roku was around. There was over a hundred years since his death and lightning seems to be a relatively new ability considering only Ozai's family uses it in the original show. That would mean the only Avatar who could learn Lightningbending would be Aang and considering it seems to exist almost entirely to kill people it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Aang never got around to it.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

She picked up a mountain

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rosalind posted:

Korrasami people are going nuts now. I mean that scene almost had to be intentional. "If you want to talk... or anything" as Asami holds Korra's hand after dressing her. I know I'm a pervert who sees innuendo everywhere, but that's got to be intentional.

Sorry for quoting something from twenty pages back, but you do know that Asami is basically her nurse, right? Korra probably has trouble with chewing her food.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
One of the coolest parts of this season was what they did with airbending. We got to see a very aggressive airbending style, we saw multiple airbenders cooperating, we saw masters dueling (finally Tenzin gets to show what he's made of), we saw the advanced techniques on par with bloodbending, combustion-bending, lightningbending, seismic-sense, metalbending and the like.

I think this is the first season of Korra to really emphasize something we saw in TLA: just how powerful Sozin's Comet made firebenders, and just how incredible the genocide of the Airbenders would be. Airbending ain't nothing to gently caress with, and I think the other nations are really lucky the Air Nomads were a peaceful race until they were wiped out, because drat. In this season, we have the following: Two or three masters (Tenzin, Jinora, Zaheer), three elites (Korra, Ikki, and Meelo), and a bunch of novices (Bumi and the rest). Airbending is consistently shown to outclass most other disciplines in straight combat. The airbending masters basically wipe the floor with anybody and everybody of other bending disciplines unless they're outnumbered. I chalk Tenzin's lack of fighting ability in the last seasons as clumsiness/conceits of the writing (just throw the robots into the air Tenzin, gosh. you can control the wind). Even the novices, using basic airbending, overwhelm a platoon of Dai Li agents. Those same novices also run over a group of hard-bitten rustlers.

Of course, the world isn't used to fighting airbenders anymore, and in some situations, the airbenders had the element of surprise, but my point still stands. Airbenders are pretty scary foes. Their mobility, situational awareness (its like if every earthbender had seismic-sense), the sheer availability of their element, coupled with its nature as invisible, make them very hard to fight. This just goes to show how scary the firebenders would be under Sozin's comet, if they could successfully assault the airbenders on their own ground and overwhelm dozens of airbending masters simultaneously, along with any elite and novice who may have been there as well. When I eventually watch TLA, I think that'll give me a new appreciation for just high the stakes would be.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i hate meatloaf posted:

According to IGN, Book 4 will air in Australia in January or February. A fall release in the US seems too soon, so maybe they're doing a worldwide release early next year.
And it's gonna be released all at once for binge-watching (albeit not for free streaming), unless I'm reading that wrong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow, they're really shoving this out the door.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

blurry! posted:

Airbending is consistently shown to outclass most other disciplines in straight combat. The airbending masters basically wipe the floor with anybody and everybody of other bending disciplines unless they're outnumbered.

I don't think this is true. I would argue that firebenders are the most powerful in combat situations. Azula was able to best Aang in straight combat a few times, if I remember correctly, even without Mai and Ty Lee present. In "The Chase" she even beats Zuko and Aang at the same time.

Edit: I mean I know Azula is considered a firebending prodigy, but still even at the end of that episode she is cornered by a master of every type of Bender and still manages to escape unscathed. Then at the end of the season she kills Aang while he's in the Avatar state. Firebenders can be insanely powerful.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 29, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rosalind posted:

I don't think this is true. I would argue that firebenders are the most powerful in combat situations. Azula was able to best Aang in straight combat a few times, if I remember correctly, even without Mai and Ty Lee present. In "The Chase" she even beats Zuko and Aang at the same time.

Edit: I mean I know Azula is considered a firebending prodigy, but still even at the end of that episode she is cornered by a master of every type of Bender and still manages to escape unscathed. Then at the end of the season she kills Aang while he's in the Avatar state. Firebenders can be insanely powerful.

I think that has less to do with the type of bending she does and more to do with the fact that Azula (before she flipped her poo poo) was always very aware, completely ruthless (so willing to do whatever it takes) and planning 2-3 steps ahead even as situations changed. Like when she had enough forethought as she was falling off a mountain to her death to catch herself with a hairpin.

That's part of why Mai/Ty Lee's betrayal was so effective - she didn't ever expect it and couldn't plan for that.

When you get down to it, every bending discipline has prodigies and masters that have wiped the floor with someone. The main reason that airbending may seem so much more effective I think is because literally no one has fought against an airbender in centuries and there's probably no training for it anymore. Everyone we see fighting Aang, Tenzin, or whoever is just having to wing it which is a big disadvantage. It's the same reason people always talk about left-handed people being good in combat and sports - not because it's a magic superpower but because nobody trains to deal with it because it's more rare.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 29, 2014

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Rosalind posted:

Yeah, Azula is sort of an exception. She's insanely talented, but she was also the aggressor in most situations. Like I mentioned, Aang is a traditional/original Air Nomad; he's so averse to violence that there's almost no instances of him using airbending offensively outside the Avatar State. He uses it for evasion and deflection in almost all instances. Two exceptions come to mind: throwing Zuko into the building using the fans, and slicing the hornet-vulture thing to death. Normally when he attacks, he uses the other three elements because using airbending as a weapon is something pretty foreign to him.

Zaheer showed us how terrifyingly effective offensive airbending can be. Air lends mobility to the airbender, but is hard to evade for others. Azula was slick as hell, but I don't recall Aang utilizing airbending in combat against her very much. When she jumped into the air, Aang could have just knocked her out of the air (like Zaheer throwing people around like ragdolls). But attacking with air was not in his nature.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

You know what always kinds of peeves me about ATLA, though? Azula is fourteen. The Dai Li turned on Long Feng for her, Ozai was going to crown her (puppet) Fire Lord, and aside from her little mental breakdown at the end she could outsmart and outmaneuver basically everyone. I mean, she's a prodigy and a psychopath, but she is fourteen years old. I just like to...ignore everyone's ages in that series and pretend they're each like two-four years older since it makes more sense that way.

Except Aang. He is still twelve because he's the only one who ever actually seems his age.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well Zuko does say she was "born lucky." I just like to think of it as she was unusually charming/manipulative.

But yeah, I usually kind of forget how old the characters are and end up thinking they're older. Even Aang doesn't really seem his age by the end of the show even though technically only a year or so has passed.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Valentin posted:

I mean...yeah? Quite a few of what we think of as "martial arts" today were heavily codified and developed in the 19th century.
Strictly speaking, martial arts means any art devoted to combat. It includes archery and fencing. I imagine the practice of martial arts might decline in an industrial society because more advanced societies tend to be less violent than traditional ones. In medieval England, every boy was obligated under law to practice archery so that the king's armies had an ample supply of capable bowmen (it's a skill that takes years to master). That's how pervasive war was. In modern England, plenty of kids may grow up without ever getting into a serious fistfight.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Serella posted:

I just like to...ignore everyone's ages in that series and pretend they're each like two-four years older since it makes more sense that way.
There is no way to make this sound not-creepy and weird but here goes:
A lot of animation has a clash between the way characters act/influence others, the way they are drawn and the age they are supposed to be.
Somebody like Asami could easily be drawn the same and be a character that is in her mid twenties, Korra and Bolin probably look the most their age from the main 4. TLA had the same thing with Mai, Azula and Zuko; I think only Toph, Aang and Jet do look their age most of the times.

As always with animated shows this is even worse in Anime; I barely watch any of it but something like Gurren Lagann has a 18~ year old that looks like he is closer to 30 really.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

As others have pointed out:

1. Korra has always been more of an overwhelming force kind of fighter, with the presence of mind to disable her opponents if the situation calls for it, whereas Aang was very tactical, very precise, and very anti-violence. He never used any more force than he absolutely had to. Korra seems to take after her dad, who has been displayed as a person with no problem throwing as much force as necessary at an opponent to get them down, and then going in directly for a killshot.

2. Korra was literally dying and still managed to take out two high level benders trying to kill her, pursue and attack a third who was using an ability and powerset that literally no one had access to or even thought existed for 1000 years, and then was almost victorious in her goal to put a fist through his face before the poison weakened her too much.

3. She still managed to use firebending to fly pretty well, while also bending entire mountains off the ground to throw around, and throwing water streams hundreds of feet.

I don't think the Avatar state has lost a step, power-level wise.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Well it's hard to remember she's 14 when she's voiced by someone twenty years older than that (who is not even trying to effect a youthful or immature tone by design). For the other characters, they're mostly written as people who had to grow up fast, but additionally shows like this usually write characters who are eloquent (due to pacing and dramatic needs).

I like to chalk a lot of the young ages up to the era in which the setting is placed, and how in real life you've had some extremely young rulers who actually do well despite being children by our modern standards. Alexander the Great became a fully capable king at 20. Cleopatra was coronated at 17. The Shunzhi Emperor came into full power at 12 and navigated complex Chinese courtly politics. Mozart composed from the age of five. Most people in our modern era don't know how to balance a checkbook well into their 30s. I think it comes down to expectations. Our culture considers age 18 to be the barrier to adulthood, though I'm sure everyone here has met (or are) people who are no more mature than 12 year olds well past that. Conversely, you may know some random 16 year old who has done and experienced more than people many times her age. Maturity is a flexible concept. After all, in medieval Europe, you had a pretty good chance of dying before the age of 20. I'm sure that was a maturing fact for quite a few young people.

Azula is naturally talented, and she was taught from an extremely young age how to rule by a powerful and tyrannical dynasty in the ways of politics, strategy, diplomacy and tactics. I can see how she could bend people to her will even at a young age. We see 14 year olds as silly little people who don't know anything, but that's not how its always been.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Shows targeted to kids but starring adult characters have really fallen out of favor in recent years, so writers have felt obligated to make characters as young as possible while still showing them accomplishing things (running a business, leading an army) that would be impressive for an adult. Although I guess if I'm playing devil's advocate, Joan of Arc started doing her thing at age 16, and even being two years older, she probably faced way more obstacles than a crown princess with unstoppable fire powers would.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

Shows targeted to kids but starring adult characters have really fallen out of favor in recent years, so writers have felt obligated to make characters as young as possible while still showing them accomplishing things (running a business, leading an army) that would be impressive for an adult. Although I guess if I'm playing devil's advocate, Joan of Arc started doing her thing at age 16, and even being two years older, she probably faced way more obstacles than a crown princess with unstoppable fire powers would.

Shows targeted to kids but starring adults were fairly rare to begin with outside of like superhero stories and even then the appeal of Spider-Man to a lot of people was his teenage problems.

A big exception here is kids shows starring nonhuman characters but those have legitimately fallen out of favor for a variety of reasons. If you've noticed an upswing in young protagonists it is because there are less aliens or wallabies or whatever. Animated kids shows with adult human protagonists are pretty rare indeed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blurry! posted:

I like to chalk a lot of the young ages up to the era in which the setting is placed, and how in real life you've had some extremely young rulers who actually do well despite being children by our modern standards. Alexander the Great became a fully capable king at 20. Cleopatra was coronated at 17. The Shunzhi Emperor came into full power at 12 and navigated complex Chinese courtly politics. Mozart composed from the age of five. Most people in our modern era don't know how to balance a checkbook well into their 30s. I think it comes down to expectations. Our culture considers age 18 to be the barrier to adulthood, though I'm sure everyone here has met (or are) people who are no more mature than 12 year olds well past that. Conversely, you may know some random 16 year old who has done and experienced more than people many times her age. Maturity is a flexible concept. After all, in medieval Europe, you had a pretty good chance of dying before the age of 20. I'm sure that was a maturing fact for quite a few young people.
Infant mortality aside, the life expectancy of people in the Middle Ages actually wasn't that much lower than today. If you made to 12 years of age, you were likely to make it to 60. Many of the minimum age requirements for certain jobs were about the same - for instance, you couldn't become a proper knight until you were an adult because you'd grow out of your first suit of armor, and those things were expensive. Cleopatra, Alexander, and the Sunzhi Emperor came to power at a young age because they were the next in the line of succession and thus were obliged to.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

Baron Bifford posted:

Infant mortality aside, the life expectancy of people in the Middle Ages actually wasn't that much lower than today. If you made to 12 years of age, you were likely to make it to 60. Many of the minimum age requirements for certain jobs were about the same - for instance, you couldn't become a proper knight until you were an adult because you'd grow out of your first suit of armor, and those things were expensive. Cleopatra, Alexander, and the Sunzhi Emperor came to power at a young age because they were the next in the line of succession and thus were obliged to.

And many were trained and rose to the challenges presented to them despite their young age, which is my point.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Baron Bifford posted:

Yes, they are exceptions to the rule. Usually when children came to power they had regents rule in their place until 17, 18, something like that. The ages for marriage were much younger though, around puberty for girls, or below in some societies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dj_clawson posted:

Yes, they are exceptions to the rule. Usually when children came to power they had regents rule in their place until 17, 18, something like that. The ages for marriage were much younger though, around puberty for girls, or below in some societies.

Peasant marriages were commonly in their 20s because until then you didn't have enough money to actually be independent of your existing family. You did have multiple generations live with one another but for (eg) second sons this wasn't a concern.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
I decided to watch season 1 and 2 of Korra today and man is season 2 a real stinker. The pro bending in season 1 is basically filler but it's at least an interesting idea and a little bit exciting, it's also an interest for Korra so she has a little bit of personality.

The biggest problem season 2 has I think is that they split everyone up for some reason. Mako's a cop, Bolin tries to help Asami then gets in to movies, and Asami sort of bounces around between the two of them doing... stuff I guess, and then Korra has relationship issues until the falls in to the ocean. At least the second half of the season is good since everyone has a clear goal: stop the Vaatu crew.

Also the relationship drama is kind of interesting if you assune Asami is actually gay and wants to be with Korra. The Asami/Mako pairing has mostly Mako initiating physical contact (arm around shoulder, etc), and she almost seems jealous of Mako spending time with Korra. I actually think that they just wanted to write it so the 2 female leads weren't catty with each other, butni feel kike it ended up if they wanted to they could write so that she was gay. Not saying that they would or should just that they could.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Je suis fatigue posted:

butni feel kike
I feel the same way

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't care about shipping, or which characters end up romantically together as an end-game, and I find a lot of the desperate analysis for unintended relationships in TV shows to be creepy. However, I'd kind of like an Asami/Korra relationship if only because it'd be absolutely fitting for the Avatar franchise to feature a gay romance. Both shows have had extremely diverse casts for television, so it'd basically be par for the course. I also feel it'd also be a societal positive to portray such a relationship in a kids show.

I realize the chances of this are near zero, if not zero, but I do kind of feel like Avatar not having a gay romance is somewhat of a missed opportunity to further promote diversity in media.

Edit: I just realized, an interesting facet of the Korra/Asami platonic relationship is it actually also portrays something that is rarely seen in media; a strong female friendship wherein the main driver of discussion isn't who's slept with whom.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 30, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Nichael posted:

Edit: I just realized, an interesting facet of the Korra/Asami platonic relationship is it actually also portrays something that is rarely seen in media; a strong female friendship wherein the main driver of discussion isn't who's slept with whom.

This is a really great thing, it's one of the few examples I've ever seen on a children's show.

That said, the queer baiting between the two is disappointing. Could you imagine if Korra was a man (or if Asami was a man) and Asami bends down on one knee, grabs his hands tightly while they are in his lap and then says "I want you to know I am here for you?"? Everyone would be talking about their budding relationship.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Are you serious with that queer-baiting accusation? Like two people of the same sex can't even touch each other without it being some queer-baiting conspiracy now?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I just noticed something about Ghazan, is it just me or does he use his elbows a lot when bending, at least a lot more than any other earthbenders? Could this be a part of lavabending or is it just his personal style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Spergatory posted:

Are you serious with that queer-baiting accusation? Like two people of the same sex can't even touch each other without it being some queer-baiting conspiracy now?

If it's one thing I've learned, even the most innocuous neutral gestures in the world will be loaded with sexual innuendo if someone is looking for it in one of these shows. Personally I thought it just looked like Asami was being a good friend offering moral support and acting as Korra's caretaker (which requires a certain closeness by its nature) but then I don't go purposely looking for romance or sex in this show as a rule.

I've also said similar things to real life friends of mine that I was definitely not trying to romance or get into bed.

• Locked thread