Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Another fun thought experiment is imagining Hercules summoned as another class instead of Berserker, since it's said that he could be summoned into any class but Caster.

I wonder what an assassin Hercules would look like?

ActionZero posted:

Arturia has Excalibur and Avalon which are both kind of a big deal. Lancelot is probably more skillful in combat though and Arondight isn't nothing.

Assuming her master has and tells her about Avalon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, Lancelot is supposed to be a better fighter than Arthur, but not by a whole lot I think. But when it comes to Arturia as Saber and Lancelot as Berserker, Saber is at least evenly matched with him as long as he doesn't pull Arondight out. It's not like Saber knew the specifics of Berserker's Master, and she still managed to dodge his attacks long enough to stay alive and gradually get closer to him.

Still, if you have Lancelot as Saber and Arturia as Saber, just as a hypothetical, it would probably come down to swords. Then Saber would need to be the one keeping her distance, since I don't think I've ever heard Arondight has a powerful ranged attack like Excalibur. All Saber really would need in that fight would be one really good hit to take him out, like she did to Rider's chariot. That would be a pretty awesome fight to see, I have to say.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
The metric I use for how strong Lancelot is the following: when Fate/Zero was coming out, my friend was taking an Arthurian Legend class. So for all intents and purposes, he was basically a scholar on many different interpretations and mythologies of the Arthurian Legend at that time. When Zero Berserker's identity was finally revealed (or finalized since he obviously was guessing Lancelot for the longest time), his exact words were, "Oh poo poo, Saber is so hosed."

Lancelot is basically a better fighter than King Arthur in every form he shows up in and has an instance where he beats King Arthur in a fight. The whole thing about King Arthur being the strongest saber probably has more to do with how broken Avalon is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Twiddy posted:

The metric I use for how strong Lancelot is the following: when Fate/Zero was coming out, my friend was taking an Arthurian Legend class. So for all intents and purposes, he was basically a scholar on many different interpretations and mythologies of the Arthurian Legend at that time. When Zero Berserker's identity was finally revealed (or finalized since he obviously was guessing Lancelot for the longest time), his exact words were, "Oh poo poo, Saber is so hosed."

Lancelot is basically a better fighter than King Arthur in every form he shows up in and has an instance where he beats King Arthur in a fight. The whole thing about King Arthur being the strongest saber probably has more to do with how broken Avalon is.

I mean, its a pretty bog standard case of anime abusing the whole authority equaling asskicking thing. The king is always the king because they can kick everyone else's rear end in a fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Where was Arturia said to be the strongest Saber, anyway? Hercules and Gawain are both pretty strong too, depending on the circumstances.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

She surely is the heroic spirit more suitable to the saber class. There is no pair "hero+sword" more famous than Arthur and Excalibur, after all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Where was Arturia said to be the strongest Saber, anyway? Hercules and Gawain are both pretty strong too, depending on the circumstances.

I looked it up it's the first episode. Jubstacheit is talking about Avalon and says it will allow them to summon a sword wielding Heroic Spirit that is perhaps the strongest of servants.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Silver2195 posted:

So was she the Saber in the first First through Third wars too? It seems like her "deal" should require that, right? But I think they said somewhere in HA that it wasn't actually Arturia in the Third war?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think one of the wars had two Sabers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think one of the wars had two Sabers.

Hollow Ataraxia spoilers: That was the Third War. Due to their family's unique two-part Magic Crest, the Edelfelt sisters, taking up a single "slot," both summoned Saber-class Servants, which were two different aspects of the same Heroic Spirit (represented by the normal Arturia and her Saber Alter version in Bazett's dream world, though they weren't necessarily Arturias in the actual Third War).

I like the idea that one sister summoned an Arturia who had just gone through the events of Fate or UBW and the other summoned one who had just gone through the events of HF, but that's probably contradicted somewhere.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 23, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gaius Marius posted:

I wonder what an assassin Hercules would look like?

Heracles can't be an assassin, either. Technically, the only person able to be summoned as an assassin is one of the several individuals who took the name Hassan ibn al Sabbah. Sasaki Koujirou was an oddity since he was irregularly summoned.

A saber or rider class Lancelot would've been nutso not only because he could probably beat Arturia in a one-on-one, but because he would have been able to use his illusionary mask ability without the need of a command seal in addition to his noble phantasm theft ability.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Heracles can't be an assassin, either. Technically, the only person able to be summoned as an assassin is one of the several individuals who took the name Hassan ibn al Sabbah. Sasaki Koujirou was an oddity since he was irregularly summoned.

Jack and Semiramis prove that this "rule" is more of a guideline.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silver2195 posted:

Jack and Semiramis prove that this "rule" is more of a guideline.

Apocrypha doesn't count since it is a different Grail.

It is like the Moon Cell in the PSP games. Different source for the summoning. The mainline greater grail can only bring in Hassan. Only Hassan! HASSSSSSAAAANNN!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Apocrypha doesn't count since it is a different Grail.

Nope, same Grail. Darnic just stole it and moved it to Romania. Extra and Strange Fake do involve different Grails, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Would John Wilkes Booth count as an assassin?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beef Waifu posted:

Hey. If Shakespeare can be a Caster, why the gently caress not?

I will say, though. There have been some pretty awesome concepts for assassin in the secondary material. One was a manifestation of the black plague. And Jack would've be great if the design was a little less.......otaku-bait.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

One was a manifestation of the black plague.

The story this appears in is actually getting a full novel series made! It also has a different Jack the Ripper as a Berserker, who was so mad, Mad Enhancement actually tips him back over to sane. Also Gilgamesh is back, and Enkidu is Lancer! There's also no Saber, but the seventh Master has multiple command spells and can summon multiple Servants.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Archer Heracles would be the best because those arrows would probably be like artillery shells and put Archer Shirou to shame but alas we'll never see it happen like Caster Cu Chulainn or Saber Diarmuid.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beef Waifu posted:

This needs to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjG1HSSaGI

Abe can be berserker.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can Batman kill servants?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sylphid posted:

I don't think I've ever heard Arondight has a powerful ranged attack like Excalibur.

Arondight is an anti-unit noble phantasm compared to Excalibur's anti-fortress status so its activated power is probably a monstrously powerful physical attack probably affected in some way by being corrupted into a demonic sword when Lancelot killed his fellow knights with it, it also apparently has an "anti-dragon attribute" due to being used against dragons so much, and apparently Arturia counts as vulnerable to anti-dragon stuff because type moon.

So yeah, Arondight is basically a perfect weapon to go against Arturia with.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Arondight is an anti-unit noble phantasm compared to Excalibur's anti-fortress status so its activated power is probably a monstrously powerful physical attack probably affected in some way by being corrupted into a demonic sword when Lancelot killed his fellow knights with it, it also apparently has an "anti-dragon attribute" due to being used against dragons so much, and apparently Arturia counts as vulnerable to anti-dragon stuff because type moon.

So yeah, Arondight is basically a perfect weapon to go against Arturia with.

That's true. Forgot about Arondight's anti-dragon thing. Good thing the Einzberns got on the ball with summoning a Saber first.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Beef Waifu posted:

Batman would be a great assassin.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The story this appears in is actually getting a full novel series made! It also has a different Jack the Ripper as a Berserker, who was so mad, Mad Enhancement actually tips him back over to sane. Also Gilgamesh is back, and Enkidu is Lancer! There's also no Saber, but the seventh Master has multiple command spells and can summon multiple Servants.

Is that the one by the Baccanno guy with Dumas as Caster?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Is that the one by the Baccanno guy with Dumas as Caster?

Indeed. Also, if you pay close attention, the Player is "A" from the ghost story at the beginning of Hollow Ataraxia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fate/Strange Fake is actually the first piece of Fate media I've been really excited for in a while. The series has been kinda underwhelming to me lately, though part of that may be that I never gave Apocrypha a chance because of its initial focus on Jack.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
It's honestly pretty lame that Arturia is in every single war ever no matter what. Or someone who is identical to her at least.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Honest Ray posted:

It's honestly pretty lame that Arturia is in every single war ever no matter what. Or someone who is identical to her at least.

There are no Saber clones in Strange Fake.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's the face of the fate series and also hands down the most popular character.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The only Saber clone that annoys me is Nero, because it's so contrived for her to look like that. For one thing, I don't even get the impression that Nero hid her gender while she was alive, so it makes no sense that even Nero's worst enemies never claim that he was a woman.

I have no problem with Jeanne and Mordred because Jeanne looking like Arturia was a plot point in Zero, and Mordred is a literal clone of Arturia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The only Saber clone that annoys me is Nero, because it's so contrived for her to look like that. For one thing, I don't even get the impression that Nero hid her gender while she was alive, so it makes no sense that even Nero's worst enemies never claim that he was a woman.

I have no problem with Jeanne and Mordred because Jeanne looking like Arturia was a plot point in Zero, and Mordred is a literal clone of Arturia.

Nero was actually kind of an interesting character but her looking just like Arturia and being a woman was almost as dumb as Nero being considered a hero. Francis Drake being gender swapped in that game was also weird.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Nero was actually kind of an interesting character but her looking just like Arturia and being a woman was almost as dumb as Nero being considered a hero. Francis Drake being gender swapped in that game was also weird.

Nero and Drake are both awesome though :colbert:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It was left out of the lovely translation, but it's strongly implied that "Drake" is actually Queen Elizabeth I in disguise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Nero and Drake are both awesome though :colbert:

I ain't gonna argue with that. Unless you mean real life Nero who was a unexperinced nut job who bankrupted one of the richest countries in the world.

Silver2195 posted:

It was left out of the lovely translation, but it's strongly implied that "Drake" is actually Queen Elizabeth I in disguise.

Huh seems like she should've been kind of busy running her country but whatever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I ain't gonna argue with that. Unless you mean real life Nero who was a unexperinced nut job who bankrupted one of the richest countries in the world.

Huh seems like she should've been kind of busy running her country but whatever.

The real Drake was running the country, pretending to be Elizabeth.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought the more modern take on Nero was that the economy was going into the shitter anyway and he spent a lot of money on public works projects because of it. Also, champion of the poor and all (cutting their taxes, etc), meaning there was a concerted effort to portray him in the most negative light possible by the elites who were the only ones who could write in the first place.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I thought the more modern take on Nero was that the economy was going into the shitter anyway and he spent a lot of money on public works projects because of it. Also, champion of the poor and all (cutting their taxes, etc), meaning there was a concerted effort to portray him in the most negative light possible by the elites who were the only ones who could write in the first place.

Historians certainly aren't as harsh on him as in the past but he was still an incompentent emperor. Being a champion of the people means nothing when you destroy the economic livelyhood of your country to do it. The idea of Rome going broke despite him is nonsensical just look at what Vespasian managed to do once he had gained control of the throne. Besides no amount of public works is going to change the fact that he probably killed his brother definitely killed his mother and castrated a young boy so he could marry him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beef Waifu posted:

With enough prep time Batman can do anything

Nyaa posted:

Batman would be a great assassin.
Except he doesn't kill

Gaius Marius posted:

Well if you're going to have anywhere near parity of male/female servants then you're going to have to do some gender swapping.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I always figure gender swapping is a good twist to the original tale and hide the servant's identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

I always figure gender swapping is a good twist to the original tale and hide the servant's identity.

Reusing that same trope is exceptionally lazy writing.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well if you're going to have anywhere near parity of male/female servants then you're going to have to do some gender swapping.

Naw man you just gotta get more creative Morgan le Fay, Boudica, Penthesilea, Calamity Jane bam there's four right there.

• Locked thread