Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
If I pick up an AE-1 will my canon EF mount lenses work with them? I'm assuming there would be no AF drive right? For some reason I think shooting some Portra with the 85 1.2 would be pretty fun.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No, you won't get to mount EF lenses on an FD-mount camera. There are two problems, first the FD mount has a shorter flange focal distance, meaning you would need a mount converter with optical elements, which would make it much more expensive and degrade picture quality, and second is that EF lenses are controlled electronically (in particular the aperture control is electronic) while FD lenses are controlled mechanically, so you wouldn't be able to control the aperture of the lens either.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nielsm posted:

No, you won't get to mount EF lenses on an FD-mount camera. There are two problems, first the FD mount has a shorter flange focal distance, meaning you would need a mount converter with optical elements, which would make it much more expensive and degrade picture quality, and second is that EF lenses are controlled electronically (in particular the aperture control is electronic) while FD lenses are controlled mechanically, so you wouldn't be able to control the aperture of the lens either.

Awesome, thanks. I have a bunch of bodies and lenses that I inherited (film) so when I get back to the states in a week, it's cleaning them up and trying out film!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FYI the register distance is higher on FD so you could have a glassless adapter. The aperture control problem remains.

You can get a decent film EOS body for peanuts though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

FYI the register distance is higher on FD so you could have a glassless adapter. The aperture control problem remains.

You can get a decent film EOS body for peanuts though.

So something like an EOS3 work work with them?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yep get an Eos 3 or 1n, all your EF lenses will work but not EFS obviously.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
amro3 by PC-P, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

This seems super shady, but looks like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pho/4636283267.html

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

This seems super shady, but looks like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pho/4636283267.html

Can't determine if there's anything of real value there, the Minolta SLRs look like the most interesting of it. Maybe offer $80 or $100.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Buying that box would be like paying someone $150 for their trash.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Buying that box would be like paying someone $150 for their trash.

fair enough. It's kind of a mix and match of everything, so if I did use anything out of it, it'd be like 2 things...so yeah. Like I said above, I really just need to get myself an EOS-3 so I can use the glass I have. That'll be a start anyways.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
everyone should get an eos 3

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Tony Two Bapes posted:

yeah, I think that's the plan. I'm in Hanoi for another week, I bet I can find a good deal on one here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's probably going to be weeks before I get all the stuff to develop at home.

So I made this:

The idea is I send this to a eurodork (or wherever but it's going to take longer) who wants to shoot it and develop it, worst case scenario the film is ruined or it's 60s erotica and someone's wasted some chemicals.
If the planets align some parts of it are usable and we get to try something cool.

What do you think ?

Finally got around to develop the roll too.

What I did:
Rodinal 1+50 (8 ml dev, water up to 400 ml total), temperature 20 C
Develop for 6 minutes, one inversion per minute
Stop with water
Fix for 3 minutes in Ilford Rapid Fixer

The result is pretty bad. The roll is definitely damaged/partially flashed. There are some odd patterns on it that almost look like fireworks, radiating splotches of clear film on the exposed roll.
It seems I did manage to get a few pictures on it, but they are poor contrast. The development probably needs to be adjusted.

However, since it was a short length of film (about 12-15 exposures worth) it doesn't say much about how the film further in on the original long roll will be, there is a good chance it's less flashed and more usable.

Waiting for the film to dry now, will post pictures later.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Tony Two Bapes posted:

35mm is dead to me. I also may have sold my only 120 camera to fund further LF insanity.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

8th-snype posted:

35mm is dead to me. I also may have sold my only 120 camera to fund further LF insanity.
I feel kind of terrible about this, but I've barely touched the 150mm lens you sold me once I got into LF.

Maybe it's cursed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Waiting for the film to dry now, will post pictures later.

Most interesting part of the strip, inverted and a bit of curves applied:

Edit: The visible frame processed a bit further:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 31, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

I feel kind of terrible about this, but I've barely touched the 150mm lens you sold me once I got into LF.

Maybe it's cursed.

Yeah, the rest of my Hassie gear went to a guy that offered me an XE-2 and cash. 6x6 is great but my heart belongs to 4x5.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

8th-snype posted:

120 is fun but also a pain

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

If the shipping isn't too bad, maybe get this instead:
http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-colour-chemistry-rollei-digibase-midi-literbrfor-films-40027brfor-films-10021-p-2340.html

I've gotten great results from the Digibase kits.

Have processed almost 200 rolls with Digibase kits in the past two years, got very good results with every single one of them.

Also, looks like Ferrania is being heavily subsidized by the Italian government, which at the beginning may be a good thing, but can turn out actually a curse, hopefully they can kickstart a self sustaining business. We'll see.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The Italian government has money to subsidise film production??

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

The Italian government has money to subsidise film production??

I don't know the terms, it's probably local funds being used (may even be EU funds?), but they (Ferrania) mention it explicitly in the press release.

Edit: looks like it's the local government. Probably they're reclaiming the original facilities and giving a shot at starting up a business that will create jobs. Seems a not-so-outlandish plan: http://www.filmferrania.it/news/the-lrf/2014

maxmars fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 1, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for taking the time though.
The whole reel is probably too damaged to do anything worth using chemicals on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe you can sell the entire roll to another weirdo on ebay or some classifieds site, €20 might be a reasonable starting point. You're welcome to use my developed pictures if you try that.

acev
Dec 14, 2013

IMG_0890.jpg by joshuavorse, on Flickr

Hi, I'm new, have been lurking for a while, and though this was worth posting.
I got a Canon A35F from craigslist the other day, and put a roll through it already. I'd never used a rangefinder style camera before, so it was kinda a novelty to shoot with, and I'll definitely hang on to it.
I came across this one by chance, and wondered if anyone has another particular rangefinder they like, or know of any that would be worth keeping an eye out for?

ape
Jul 20, 2009
If you don't have much of a budget and want to go fully manual the FSU rangefinders can be fun. My favorite is the FED 2. Some of the Russian lenses are pretty awesome for the price, too. They basically took a few Zeiss factories back to Russia on trains as war reparations after WW2 and started producing their own copies using the German tooling.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I love my Olympus 35 probably a bit more than I should.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

acev posted:

Hi, I'm new, have been lurking for a while, and though this was worth posting.
I got a Canon A35F from craigslist the other day, and put a roll through it already. I'd never used a rangefinder style camera before, so it was kinda a novelty to shoot with, and I'll definitely hang on to it.
I came across this one by chance, and wondered if anyone has another particular rangefinder they like, or know of any that would be worth keeping an eye out for?

Congrats, that's a nice camera to shoot with.

I also like FSU rangefinders, the FED 2 with the collapsible 50mm lens is sweet though you don't get a light meter.. May be a bit intimidating.
The Cosina-produced Voigtlander Bessa serie is a cheap way to get into rangefinders using a modern camera. It's not very tough though. I have the R model and find it nice to use.
In the end the two rangefinder cameras I use the most happen to be non-assisted focus cameras, used with a small external rangefinder, because they have great lenses and are so small I can always carry them with me (Rollei 35 and Minox GT-E).

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I'm picking up an EOS-3 that's in great condition for $225. Seems like a decent deal and from adorama, so I can trust it.

Is it work picking up a kit to process the negatives, or should I dive into that later? Seems that B&W might be more of a process.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

Seems that B&W might be more of a process.

What do you mean by this? Shooting B&W film and paying someone else to process it is shameful in the extreme and if you are gonna do that you might as well shoot Portra 400 and convert to B&W in PS.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

B&W developing at home is absurdly easy and you should be doing it. It'll be cheaper than sending to a lab after some 5 rolls.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah get a developing tank with reels ($30 second-hand) some Rodinal R09 One Shot ($15) and fixer ($15?). The Rodinal and fixer will last for ages.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

deaders posted:

Yeah get a developing tank with reels ($30 second-hand) some Rodinal R09 One Shot ($15) and fixer ($15?). The Rodinal and fixer will last for ages.

Ok, that sounds ridiculously easy. I watched some lovely youtube video and they made it sound like it was a pain. 10-4 good buddies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Ok, that sounds ridiculously easy. I watched some lovely youtube video and they made it sound like it was a pain. 10-4 good buddies.

It's kind of tedious but pretty drat easy.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
If you stick with the same film you'll memorize the process after the 2nd or 3rd try.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

BANME.sh posted:

If you stick with the same film you'll memorize the process after the 2nd or 3rd try.

If you use rodinal, you don't even have to stick to the same film for an identical process.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

cool. I'll take my chances on my first roll.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I've finished my move and I'm still quite happy to give this weird old film a shot. Maybe a piece from further towards the center of the spool is less flashed/damaged?

Edit, this is from a couple of pages back:

BANME.sh posted:

I know some pros still exclusively use film, and more and more hobbyists are taking to film for it's aesthetic value, but how much time is left, really? I know this is impossible to answer but I feel like total film abandonment is inevitable in less than 20 years.
No technology has ever really been lost. We might not have the exact, detailed recipe for something like Greek Fire but there are modern equivalents that accomplish the same thing and their invention and development were undertaken in light of the knowledge that this result is possible because it's been demonstrated before. To apply that logic to film, we might never see Kodachrome again, but colour slide film is here to stay, somebody will be making it, somewhere, for much longer than we can speculate.

You can still buy a buggy whip (and their quality is much higher than when they were a daily necessity). You can still fly in a hot-air balloon. You can sail across the ocean in a wooden ship. Old tech never dies, it just quietly sits in an out of the way place and benefits from improvements in materials and manufacturing techniques. Even if you have to cut it to 35mm wide with sprokets yourself, you'll be able to get film in 10, 20, 50, and 100 years.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 3, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It looks like I could get a tank, Ilford ID-11 and Formulary TF-4 and be covered, right? I looked around for the Rodinal you guys are talking about and it must either be hard to find or go by a different name.

Well, those plus measuring cups and clips etc. And a doohickey to actually open the canisters.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rodinal goes under many names today, but not the original one. I think the most common is R09, you might also see Adonal.