Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Wow G Generation Overworld just kind of drops you into the thick of things right after the prologue doesn't it. You choose a main character and then boom you're in your army menu with a bunch of funds, a bunch of grunts and no idea what to do. I mean I guess I'll figure it out by experimentation but they really went for the no-tutorial method here didn't they.

Actually what I wanted to ask is how hard is Overworld? I'm curious because the huge roster of recruit-able pilots makes me want to make the silliest team possible (I'll call it the Yamato Orphanage team. Kira and Lacus are going to go around collecting orphans and children for their happy Gundam family) and I wonder how plausible/possible the game is if I just straight up ignore most of the 'good' units and make an army of misfits. Will it work as long as I have good mechs for them, or is it really not that easy of a game unless you start collecting aces or whatever?

(also some developer must really like Gundam 00 and UC, after that opening scene where everyone but those two get corrupted and the two of them have to face down like 5 other Gundam main characters by themselves. I'm sure that's just like someone's fanfic.)

It isn't hard at all. Once you get high-tier unit going you'll be able to clear stages with a single character.

Also Gundam 00 and UC get that because it was released to promote the 00 movie and the early episodes of Unicorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
For Overworld, even if you use some really low-end units, eventually you can grind enough levels for anything to the point where you can solo the map in them.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

For Overworld, even if you use some really low-end units, eventually you can grind enough levels for anything to the point where you can solo the map in them.

When you guys say units do you mean characters or suits?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Mostly suits. That's where most of the "power" lies.

Character sort of helps, but by the time of Overworld, most of the character differentiation has been kind of downplayed so just about any character can learn any skill given enough grinding.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Someone PMed me for the rest of the battle songs, and since I've already uploaded most of what I've unlocked I figured why not. A couple of these were actually on the FMW2 OST, so that's why they're much higher quality. Most of Mystia's songs have really weird attack names, so no idea if I got them right.

Fleeting Flame - Firefly Soul
Grilled Lamprey Under the Moonlight
Open Human Cage
Bye Bye, Chicken Heart
Anti-grill of Anger
The Romantic Flavor of Westernization
(Based on Interstellar Flight)
Pounded Lies and Mochi in the Moonlit Night
Feel Eyes on You
Living in the Capital's Bucket
Upbeat Spider
A Single Oni Strikes as Hard as a Thousand, No Help Needed

And since it's the only map theme I haven't uploaded yet, here's Hell's Mantle. Kind of eh compared to the other ones.

I also updated the FMW3 pastebin to fix all the errors that were pointed out to me. By the way, turns out Yuyuko is hilariously bugged! One of her PS's, Return to Yomi, is supposed to give her 50% of the remaining SP of an allied unit when they get shot down. Except it also works on enemies, so you can spam the poo poo out of Rally and get everyone to max Power by turn 2.

On a final note, with the help of Nages I finally figured out just what the hell Parsee's spell does. As long as she's in her field, she gets a buff to her attack, accuracy, and defense relative to her opponent's upgrades and WP level. I want to say it only works for the person in front when it comes to teams, so I guess the idea is to switch to the weaker person? Or just ignore the bonus and bomb away.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 21, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

On a final note, with the help of Nages I finally figured out just what the hell Parsee's spell does. As long as she's in her field, she gets a buff to her attack, accuracy, and defense relative to her opponent's upgrades and WP level. I want to say it only works for the person in front when it comes to teams, so I guess the idea is to switch to the weaker person? Or just ignore the bonus and bomb away.

That's hilariously fitting.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Since it was brought up a couple pages ago, and I'm late to this thread: I was the one who asked Sanbondo about doing an official English version of FMW E. His response, (roughly) translated:

Sanbondo posted:

幻想少女大戦の英語版については、少し難しい問題です。
おっしゃる通り、普通は(torrent等の違法な方法を除いて)海外で同人ゲームは買えませんし、
実は東方Project作品を海外で売ること自体が禁止されていたりします。

ですので、そういったお話をいただけることは嬉しいのですが、
残念ながら僕たちから公的に許可はできない状態です…
申し訳ありませんが、ご了解いただければと思います。

Regarding an English version of Fantasy Maiden Wars, there's a slightly difficult problem. As you say, foreigners can't directly buy Doujin games (acquiring them through torrents and the like instead), and it's actually forbidden to sell Touhou games overseas.

So, I'm happy that you came to contact me, but unfortunately we can't approve this idea. I'm very sorry, but I believe you'll understand.

I've considered reaching out to him again now that DDC is available digitally.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 21, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Is it really illegal to sell Touhou products outside of Japan? I mean, the "Super Heroine Wars" game that was brought up earlier in the thread can be brought on the English DLsite and that game seems to contain Touhou characters.

Granted, I haven't actually tried buying it yet, so maybe when I click check-out it'll give me some kind of "this product is not available in your region" message.

edit: VVV
Not talking about Super Heroine Chronicles, which I made the mistake of earlier, the game I'm talking about is literally called Super Heroine Wars.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 22, 2014

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Their names are pretty similar but super heroine chronicle and super maiden wars are different series, the first being a cross over game like super robot wars but features a mainly female cast from various animes (I never played it but that's what the trailers showed) and the second being an entirely touhou based fan game with the game play of a SRW game. I can understand the designers of the touhou versions of the game being wary because of the difference between the copyright laws in japan and the usa or other parts of the world.

Still I hope they can find some way to reconcile it because the super touhou wars game are honestly some of the most fun SRW-esque games I have played in a while.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

Is it really illegal to sell Touhou products outside of Japan?

It's not illegal, per se. ZUN has criteria for fan works of his material, and those criteria include not selling them through mainstream online services, and not selling them overseas at all, which effectively means that people overseas cannot physically buy a Touhou product short of having a friend go to Comiket (or other secondary domestic sellers) and buy it for them.

This has changed in the past few months with the release of the latest Touhou game (Double Dealing Character) on an online download service available globally, because ZUN has recognized this as a legitimate issue and wants to address it. ProfessorProf is considering revisiting the issue because of these changed circumstances.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Hey, Blitz, would there be any chance you could zip up the track rips you've made for FMW3 and throw them up somewhere as a package?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I, uh, already did. It's missing two songs though, one I completely forgot about, and one I didn't even know existed even though it was apparently in the demo.

Also for some weird reason FMW3 only has 54 total save/quit messages. Contrast FMW2, which had over 100.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe they realized no one reads those.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

In non-Touhou news, the PV for series 2 of Gundam Build Fighters is up.

Three words. Build Burning Gundam.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It took a while, but I "finished" the FMW3 menu translation pastebin. I'm sure the characters I didn't use have some extra PS's, and I bet I made some more dumb mistakes, but that should be about everything you need to play the game with just SRW experience.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Managed to clear Stage 19 of OG1 with both Viletta and Gilliam at level 23 with all Battle Masteries so far. I feel like I could take on the world!

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like I could take on the world!

Just wait. The brick wall will appear, and your tears will be fierce.

Edit: As a side note, I finally picked up Z3 just now. Gotta wait for it to get here, but for 51 dollars, not a bad deal!

Emuticus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 24, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Emuticus posted:

Edit: As a side note, I finally picked up Z3 just now. Gotta wait for it to get here, but for 51 dollars, not a bad deal!
Which place is selling it for that price? I might consider it... or wait until it drops to like current OG:Gaiden price.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

Davzz posted:

Which place is selling it for that price? I might consider it... or wait until it drops to like current OG:Gaiden price.

Amazon, surprisingly! AkihabaraGames is the seller, specifically. It goes for 46.99 + 3.99 Shipping in USD.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a new G-Gen game coming out anytime soon? I wanna play with more Unicorn units :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

-Troika- posted:

Is there a new G-Gen game coming out anytime soon? I wanna play with more Unicorn units :(

Super Heroes Generation is the next Generation game coming out, though since its divided between Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Gundam I'm not sure how many units from any given franchise it will have. I imagine the next G Generation game will come out after that.

Man, Japan must really hate Pride of Justice. The PS3 version is going for less than $10 these days. I literally paid more for some of my GBA SRW games than I did for that. And it's especially bizarre considering Lord of Elemental 1&2 goes for nearly $50 used.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Coffin of the End's demo reel is now out. Nothing too spoilery in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYyvZodccf4

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Coffin of the End's demo reel is now out. Nothing too spoilery in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYyvZodccf4

O-oh god... that animation... that art style...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I know what the scrolling background is supposed to represent, but it seriously looks like those trees are just moving.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I know what the scrolling background is supposed to represent, but it seriously looks like those trees are just moving.
It's... pretty weird. I think this technique works in 2D sprites to simulate a sense of movement (as opposed to literally believing that two robots are standing still until it's their turn to beat up the opposing party)

But here it just looks like everything is being shot by a drunk cameraman.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I definitely like it better than before, it's different enough from normal SRW to be interesting. Gameplay-wise, who knows...

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I just saw at /m/ that, in UX, if Master Therion counters Shining Trapezohadron with his own version of the attack, the game crashes.

Can anyone confirm this? Because, if true, I refuse to believe that it's not intentional.:vince:

Edit: AHAHA! It's true!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 29, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

According to their twitter, the next patch for FMW I comes out 9/5. General release is slated for 9/27, and the OST will probably hit shelves at the next Winter Comiket, 12/30.

And then going by their usual schedule, FMW4 will hit 2016. :negative:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I kept seeing SRW Z around for about 500 or 800 yen and thinking about buying it but I kept telling myself 'nah you're in the middle of the Alpha series, wait 'til you're done then you can get Z'. But today I saw it for 250 yen and I mean honestly there's no way I could resist just picking it up for that price.

I hadn't even been planning to buy anything on this trip to Book Off, but after finding that and a 750 yen Digital Devil Saga my will caved.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Getsuya posted:

Man, Japan must really hate Pride of Justice. The PS3 version is going for less than $10 these days. I literally paid more for some of my GBA SRW games than I did for that. And it's especially bizarre considering Lord of Elemental 1&2 goes for nearly $50 used.

MK1 isn't a very good game by modern standards, but it's pretty playable and has a big nostalgia oomph behind it. MK2 is a mediocre game by modern SRW standards but is relatively enjoyable to play. MK3 is a torturous, messy shitfest that I couldn't be assed to play more than halfway through even once and I'm likely one of the biggest Masoukishin apologists in this thread.

MK3 was so horribly unfun to play that I don't even give a poo poo about Coffin of the End. The sad part is that Banpresto is going to look at MK3 being despised as "Well I guess they don't want challenging SRW games" instead of "Well I guess they don't want terribly balanced garbage".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There are two very positive early reviews of Coffin of the End on amazon.jp right now. Both say the difficulty is not crazy like before, and the story is much more interesting. I would sure like to finally play one of these games, maybe this is the one?

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I recently started playing Alpha 3, and holy crap do I love this game. I've fallen in love with SRW all over again.
Does anyone know how exactly the Ideon Gauge works? I can't find it on akurasu. So far I've just been letting Ideon take lots of hits and hoping for the best.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't know the specifics but you want Ideon to get low HP and also not to kill or hit anything. Basically the worse you do in battle the higher the gauge gets and the better you do the lower it gets.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Here's a translation of the Ideon Gauge mechanics, taken from here. (edit: fixed)

Cosmos kills something: -1 point
Ideon gets attacked at all: +2 points
For every sub-unit in the Ideon's platoon: +1 point
Ally unit gets destroyed: +3 points
Start player phase with Ideon HP between ~50-99%: +2 points
Start player phase with Ideon HP under ~50%: +5 points

Ideon Gauge stage 1 (10 points): Gain Id Barrier
Ideon Gauge stage 2 (20 points): Gain Multidirectional Missiles
Ideon Gauge stage 3 (30 points): Nothing
Ideon Gauge stage 4 (60 points and under 50% HP): Gain Ideon Gun and Ideon Sword regular attacks
Ideon Gauge stage 4 (60 points and under 30% HP): Gain Ideon Gun and Ideon Sword MAP weapons

Healing the Ideon does not affect the gauge, but it does affect the usability of the weapons that depend on HP level. I prefer to max out HP on it, and then never touch its armor. This ensures that it gets the damage it needs to really get going without risking death.

The MAP weapon is hilarious to use, but the real trick if you want to get maximum optimized kills with the Ideon is to never use it, and to just murder enemy platoons with the regular version of the gun, which is an ALL attack. This keeps the gauge stable by getting attacks for every enemy you kill, rather than killing 30+ at once and losing all those points. That approach is nowhere near as fun, of course.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite thing I did with Ideon is using the Goldion Crusher to damage Ideon enough to trigger the Ideon Cannon so I could wipe out the entire goddamn map.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

Here's a translation of the Ideon Gauge mechanics, taken from here.

Ideon gets attacked at all: +2 points
For every platoon sub-unit that attacks Ideon: +1 point

It's +2 each time Ideon is attacked, and +1 for each of Ideon's own followers that gets attacked.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Ideon Gun reduces the game to a joke but there is something beautiful about sending a civilization destroyer to tank a few waves of mooks then obliterating the entire enemy force all at once.

Its like watching the show all over again.

The fact that one of the subpilots learns Mercy so you can spam the MAPW without worrying about killing the enemy grunts until you've also reduced all the bosses to nothing is a delicious cherry on top.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I never really found Ideon to be worth the effort. Sure you can kill the entire map in one action but you have to wait until turn two or three to do it while Banpreios can easily clear a map of mooks on turn one.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

GimmickMan posted:

The fact that one of the subpilots learns Mercy so you can spam the MAPW without worrying about killing the enemy grunts until you've also reduced all the bosses to nothing is a delicious cherry on top.

:stare:

Would you believe I'd never thought about the possibility of using a MAP weapon with Mercy before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

WrightOfWay posted:

I never really found Ideon to be worth the effort. Sure you can kill the entire map in one action but you have to wait until turn two or three to do it while Banpreios can easily clear a map of mooks on turn one.

I found that Ideon is best used as a way to cut down on the time spent in the late-game missions: Cosmo singlehandedly, via Sybil and Puru's Zeal spam, took away around 60% of Keisar Ephes' HP while also leaving all of his summoned mooks ripe for picking.

Made that potential slog much more manageable (time-wise).

Mind, I never actually understood why people say it's "too much effort" to use it - usually I paired him up with Rei, sent Ideon to the middle of the mooks and let them bounce off the AT Field (busting a quick MAP on him to unlock the attacks).

• Locked thread