Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seagull posted:

I want the next Fire Emblem character to be a cleric, and for them to have exactly the same capabilities for fighting as they would in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbT6Mr2hM3M

oliver's theme song was already in Brawl, good pick Seagull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Scyther would be a totally bitchin Smash character.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Seagull posted:

I want the next Fire Emblem character to be a cleric, and for them to have exactly the same capabilities for fighting as they would in game.

So Lissa swinging around an axe as big as she is? :getin:

Seriously if you promoted Lissa to a Sage instead of a War Cleric you played the game wrong and you should feel awful.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

-Fish- posted:

Scyther would be a totally bitchin Smash character.

yeah, like we need another anime swordbug

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to main a blue-haired anime Mii swordsman, for the purest Smash experience.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah, like we need another anime swordbug

His name is SCYTHEr, not Sworder. Completely different. :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So how many Hitlers and Jesuses can we expect to see within a few online matches? More important question, what kind of Mii fighter would Hitler be if he were alive today (he is)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

So how many Hitlers and Jesuses can we expect to see within a few online matches? More important question, what kind of Mii fighter would Hitler be if he were alive today (he is)?
You can't use Mii Fighters in With Anyone, probably for exactly this reason.

Also Gunner. The power of German Science.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I pray to every god of every faith that Nintendo will do stuff like this again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Louisgod posted:

The first thing I thought when I saw the Mii Fighters was that I'd finally get an use of that Hitler Mii I had. The Jesus Mii I have should probably get some time to play, too.

And I agree with Endorph, Hitler is definitely a Gunner.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

People keep talking up a Hitler Mii, but that's a fighter guaranteed to struggle.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

Also Gunner. The power of German Science.

Von Stroheim confirmed for Smash.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

His name is SCYTHEr, not Sworder. Completely different. :colbert:

Aegislash confirmed!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Unironically.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

SilverSupernova posted:

I pray to every god of every faith that Nintendo will do stuff like this again.

Apparently that GIF is from a longer video of Mario, Luigi, and Peach dunkin' on fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJEG_-9MhU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
If there are five more, which there should be-- why bother leaving all that empty space if you're cutting characters? -- my bets are on Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, Impa(?) and Chorus Men. The first three I feel pretty certain about (people have been asking for them nonstop for like a year straight and Sakurai has been a huge tease).

Dixie would be a good tie in to Tropical Freeze, which was a huge bestseller, and Impa would tie in Hyrule Warriors. She's also one of the oldest Zelda side characters, and was originally the third member of the 'Triforce team' before Ganon came and took her place (according to the Historia). Chorus Kids make sense to tie in Rhythm Heaven, plus there are enemies for them in Smash Run (which does have a direct connection to who shows up, the polar bears are just remnants from before IC were cut).

I think a lot of the older leaks may have been true, but running on old or twisted information (the Gematsu leak must have been very early info, before Chrom was taken off the table, but he was right about everything else, so). There were lots of obviously fake "trust me guys" types of "leaks" but some sounded perfectly legitimate. One leaker said at a small press event they showed two trailers, one for how to play Shulk and one for Ridley's flying.

It would be cool if K.Rool did show up, although I wouldn't expect much (it would be neat if he had alt outfits of his gimmicks in each game he showed up in though, like Aztec K.Rool).

Excels fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 30, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like Gematsu guy kinda shot himself in the foot when he tried to pass his prediction of Shulk off as Robin . . . and then Shulk got revealed anyway. If he didn't try to change horses in midstream I'd be much more inclined to believe him still, but he flew too close to the sun there.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

The Bee posted:

I feel like Gematsu guy kinda shot himself in the foot when he tried to pass his prediction of Shulk off as Robin . . . and then Shulk got revealed anyway. If he didn't try to change horses in midstream I'd be much more inclined to believe him still, but he flew too close to the sun there.

I don't think Gematsu guy ever actually said anything, they just gave the leak to someone else and they posted and said things about it. Besides, it was Chrom not being playable that was the real killer of it, not the Shulk/Robin thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I don't think Gematsu guy ever actually said anything, they just gave the leak to someone else and they posted and said things about it. Besides, it was Chrom not being playable that was the real killer of it, not the Shulk/Robin thing.

Yeah, the Gematsu leak guy went quiet when he was proven wrong (as he rightly should have). It was other people insisting that he was still legit that started claiming 'well maybe he mistook Robin for Shulk' and 'Sakurai switched Chrom out for Lucina because of the leak'.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Gematsu leak was probably wrong because his info was from early development, that's what he said anyway (long before Chrom was confirmed not to be playable).

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm still disappointed Toon Link's FS isn't him jumping off an opponent and shoving his sword into their forehead after descending, like he did to Ganondorf in Wind Waker. :black101:

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Gematsu leak was wrong because the leaker made everything up.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm still disappointed Toon Link's FS isn't him jumping off an opponent and shoving his sword into their forehead after descending, like he did to Ganondorf in Wind Waker. :black101:

That was full on murder if I'm to believe the timeline of the Historia.

Truly Toon Link is the most metal of Links.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Everything on his original post has been right so far though, except Chrom was cut later. We got Palutena and Shulk. If we get a Chorus Men trailer then we'd have to admit he was right all along

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: ^^ I went over this back at E3, every single guess he managed was easy as poo poo. Everyone could've seen a Gen VI Pokemon coming, Little Mac had a resurgence between Smashes, Palutena was from Sakurai's last game, and Pac-Man is the mascot for a company that'd been involved from the word go.

We give him points for getting the names of Wii Fit trainer, Villager and Mii Fighter right, but I maintain that there's nothing else they could have really been named, and they were all still pretty natural guesses to make. He didn't get Greninja despite what people like to assert, and he didn't get Rosalina at all, so he failed out on the only two difficult guesses until Robin came along and hosed him up completely.

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Yeah, it's really just that simple. He got greedy at the end, though; he could've conceivably gotten away with saying that he had early production info (hence why he had Chrom who might've been planned), and just 'a Pokemon from X/Y' instead of Greninja (which he didn't pick because there wasn't an obvious standout in Gen VI, which was also why Greninja wasn't chosen as the new Pokemon until later in development). But he decided that in his story, he was still working for Nintendo, and decided to make a guess that blew up in his face and was ultimately detrimental to his position to make anyway.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 30, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Maybe it goes even deeper than that.

Maybe Nintendo told their employees different information, to keep potential leaks under control by discrediting them... :tinfoil:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's really just that simple. He got greedy at the end, though; he could've conceivably gotten away with saying that he had early production info (hence why he had Chrom who might've been planned), and just 'a Pokemon from X/Y' instead of Greninja (which he didn't pick because there wasn't an obvious standout in Gen VI, which was also why Greninja wasn't chosen as the new Pokemon until later in development). But he decided that in his story, he was still working for Nintendo, and decided to make a guess that blew up in his face and was ultimately detrimental to his position to make anyway.

Did he say he worked for Nintendo?

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Uh Sakurai said he picked Greninja pretty much right at the start of development just based off concept art if I recall correctly

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

and just 'a Pokemon from X/Y' instead of Greninja (which he didn't pick because there wasn't an obvious standout in Gen VI, which was also why Greninja wasn't chosen as the new Pokemon until later in development).

They had decided from the beginning to use an X/Y pokemon. They picked Greninja before the game even came out; He's actually been one of the longest in development since the drawing phase.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

WadeBartender posted:

Uh Sakurai said he picked Greninja pretty much right at the start of development just based off concept art if I recall correctly

Yes, but the fake leaker didn't know that. That's why they just said "a Pokemon from X/Y" instead of "a sweet ninja frog" or something similar. Even if you didn't know anything about pokemon, you'd probably be able to remember vaguely what it looked like.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

WadeBartender posted:

I don't think it was 'right at the start', because he mentioned that they had a spot reserved for a Gen VI Pokemon, and they decided on Greninja after getting concept art sent over. That does mean that, even for a short time, the character list for the game would have had a 'Pokemon from X/Y' reserved spot that this guy could have conceivably gotten it from.

But it's all moot now, since over the months he's only been proven wronger and wronger. You can't tell me that if you smuggled out a character list for Smash 4, you'd withhold the fact that loving Duck Hunt Dog was gonna be there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He didn't know all of the characters (see Rosalina, Robin).

VVVVVV: We'll never know I guess, but he got many of them right.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 30, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

He didn't know all of the characters (see Rosalina, Robin).
He didn't know any of the characters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

How are you people still talking about that.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Kurtofan posted:

VVVVVV: We'll never know I guess, but he got many of them right.

Yes because most of them are easy guesses and a couple lucky ones.

This is literally all there is to it. The gematsu leak is not complicated. Someone guessed and got a lot of guesses right until they got some wrong.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's interesting that Greninja was chosen before X/Y came out. I mean he became the most popular starter I think, but it woulda been odd if he was the chosen starter for Smash if one of the other two had been more pooular.

Luckily the other two starters' final evos look dumb as gently caress :smug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's interesting that Greninja was chosen before X/Y came out. I mean he became the most popular starter I think, but it woulda been odd if he was the chosen starter for Smash if one of the other two had been more pooular.

He's a ninja. Picking him for most popular starter is a pretty safe bet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

HJE-Cobra posted:

Apparently that GIF is from a longer video of Mario, Luigi, and Peach dunkin' on fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJEG_-9MhU

Why can't this whole video be avatar size...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My favorite part about Greninja is that he's come out as an across-the-board favorite from Gen VI, for entirely unrelated reasons. Sakurai picked him as the new Pokemon because he was gonna be fun to make a moveset around, kids like him because he's a ninja frog, and the competitive scene likes him because he's got a good hidden ability and movelist. He's the Gen VI headliner, but not because anybody pushed him into it like with Lucario; he's just legitimately awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Macaluso posted:

Uh giant spiky hedgehog chestnut knight is here to gently caress you up (fire witch fox is boring though)

• Locked thread