Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Tramontira or however the gently caress you spell it has one for closer to $50

I saw those on Amazon and they look nice but unfortunately they are made in China. It's looking like I'm going to end up with the Le Creuset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I saw those on Amazon and they look nice but unfortunately they are made in China. It's looking like I'm going to end up with the Le Creuset.

Just out of curiosity, what is your rationale behind avoiding products from India and China? I'll take my answer off the air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Midniter posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is your rationale behind avoiding products from India and China? I'll take my answer off the air.

Lead concerns? :911: Might be paranoid but if it's something you plan on cooking with for 10+ years I could understand.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BeanBandit posted:

I think what I've learned is that you can't have too much fat in the pan when you're working with cast iron.

Make some "fat cakes" someday. Pancakes with made with way too much bacon fat left in the pan after cooking bacon. The stuck on bacon parts end up stuck in the pancakes, it's glorious. Edit: Even better if you also cooked sausage.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Poor working conditions, quality issues, etc..

Also, Chinese pet food killed my cat. gently caress China.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
kind of a cool little walk through of the Lodge factory

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Thanks for posting that, it was really neat!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hi.

I have two Lodge cast iron pans, a heavy one and a light one. I may be moving into a place with a glass stove top. It's not my stove, so I'd really rather not damage it with my cast iron, and thus lose the security deposit. This is what I have: http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/deep-skillets/combo-cooker-LCC3 , and I use both halves of it.

I've heard bad things about plain cast iron on glass stove tops, so what can I do to mitigate the damage? Would it be worth it to just invest in one enameled pan, for the duration of me living there? Lodge has ones on sale through Amazon. Would I get the same iron health benefits as using the regular cast iron? Thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

I have two Lodge cast iron pans, a heavy one and a light one. I may be moving into a place with a glass stove top. It's not my stove, so I'd really rather not damage it with my cast iron, and thus lose the security deposit. This is what I have: http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/deep-skillets/combo-cooker-LCC3 , and I use both halves of it.

I've heard bad things about plain cast iron on glass stove tops, so what can I do to mitigate the damage? Would it be worth it to just invest in one enameled pan, for the duration of me living there? Lodge has ones on sale through Amazon. Would I get the same iron health benefits as using the regular cast iron? Thanks!

I have no idea about using cast iron on a glass cooktop but no, you would not get the iron health benefits from an enameled pan as the enamel completely covers the iron so there's no direct exposure to your food or the cooking utensils you use.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

Grab a DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner 8100MC if you are worried. Works great with cast iron.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mr. Wookums posted:

Grab a DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner 8100MC if you are worried. Works great with cast iron.

You are my new best friend and hero :glomp:

Amazon Wish List, here I come! Along with some trivets, so I don't destroy my counters. Trivet suggestions also requested, please.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

AFAIK, a glass cooktop can support the weight of the pan just fine, just don't shake the pan around on the glass (it may scratch, which can lead to breakage) and don't drop it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

I was surprised to find in that Lodge factory walkthrough they actually use an induction furnace to melt the iron for casting. Probably a little higher wattage than the one you recommend though.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have that DUXTOP Induction Cooktop and it works great with my cast iron. It does have a glass top on it but I haven't scratched or broken it, yet.

Lodge induction furnace-

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

But is that cool to the touch :downs:

I don't really care if I scratch mine up, I don't think I have yet though.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr. Wookums posted:

My cast iron was exiled to the basement kitchen when we got a new glass top and my wife was worried about scratching. We bought a set of stainless steel glass top-safe pots for the new stove. Three years on and the main burner is showing scratches, even though we're careful to lift and not slide.

I think I will get one of these countertop induction sets for the basement and laugh my arse off if the cast iron doesn't scratch it.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

AFAIK, a glass cooktop can support the weight of the pan just fine, just don't shake the pan around on the glass (it may scratch, which can lead to breakage) and don't drop it.

Correct. I lived in a place with one for a few years and never had any problems (aside from the fact that glasstop stoves are, in and of themselves, obnoxious to clean). I used cast iron stuff almost exclusively. Even shaking the pan around a bit never caused any problems, just make sure you don't drop or slam the pan on it and it should be fine.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

I use cast iron on a glass stovetop all the time. Its fine as long as you gently place the pan on the stove.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

I've heard bad things about plain cast iron on glass stove tops, so what can I do to mitigate the damage?

I've got a Maytag "smooth top" stove, not sure if that's the same as a glass top. It came with the house, and I'm not sure how old it is. Other than some boilover stains that I haven't cleaned up yet, it's in good shape. I use a cast iron skillet on it three or four times a month. Just don't be an oaf and drop it or scrape it around, it should be fine.

That said, I can't wait to get rid of the loving thing. I want gas. You should read the list of crap I'm not supposed to do on it. Don't leave it on High for too long; don't slide pans around; clean with our Special Cleaner Sponges; get out a ruler to ensure your pot bottoms are flat. Blech. Why do people buy these? It's going to get used, and your property manager should be able to deal with day-to-day damage, or they shouldn't be buying such fragile stoves.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

I've got a Maytag "smooth top" stove, not sure if that's the same as a glass top. It came with the house, and I'm not sure how old it is. Other than some boilover stains that I haven't cleaned up yet, it's in good shape. I use a cast iron skillet on it three or four times a month. Just don't be an oaf and drop it or scrape it around, it should be fine.

That said, I can't wait to get rid of the loving thing. I want gas. You should read the list of crap I'm not supposed to do on it. Don't leave it on High for too long; don't slide pans around; clean with our Special Cleaner Sponges; get out a ruler to ensure your pot bottoms are flat. Blech. Why do people buy these? It's going to get used, and your property manager should be able to deal with day-to-day damage, or they shouldn't be buying such fragile stoves.

A) They're pretty

B) Some houses just don't have gas routed to the kitchen for some reason or another. My parents' home doesn't and I think all the homes in their city were planned that way. Maybe to reduce what they perceived to be hazards or some poo poo.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Thanks all! I put a deposit on the place with the glass stovetop. I'm not getting a hotplate, as they're 'highly discouraged', but other appliances (like crockposts, rice cookers, etc.) are allowed. And - I got the room directly across from the group kitchen :dance:

I also talked to the landlord about my love of the holy cast iron, and my fears that it'll scratch up the glass stovetop in the group kitchen. She says that she's not worried about it; her grandmother uses her cast iron on her glass stovetop, with no ill effects. I'll probably examine the bottom of my pans anyway, and if they look like they'll cause scratches, find a way to sand them down.

Hopefully her grandmother can convert her.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks to the tips in this thread I had a fairly successful first go with my Lodge pan and some nice thick steaks using the Alton Brown method. Aside from my smoke detector going off it went fairly well although since my apartment has an electric stove/oven it took a really long time to get to a nice hot temperature. Overall cast iron is sweet and I have been converted.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Another thumbs up for the chicken and potatoes, and also the "bacon sprouts," recipes itt. I made them in my (fairly) newly stripped and seasoned skillet and my tummy was happy. Rubbed the drumsticks in Weber's "N'Orleans Cajun" seasoning (if pre-made seasonings are a GWS no-no, oops?) and it made everything even better.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Qu Appelle posted:

Thanks all! I put a deposit on the place with the glass stovetop. I'm not getting a hotplate, as they're 'highly discouraged', but other appliances (like crockposts, rice cookers, etc.) are allowed. And - I got the room directly across from the group kitchen :dance:

I also talked to the landlord about my love of the holy cast iron, and my fears that it'll scratch up the glass stovetop in the group kitchen. She says that she's not worried about it; her grandmother uses her cast iron on her glass stovetop, with no ill effects. I'll probably examine the bottom of my pans anyway, and if they look like they'll cause scratches, find a way to sand them down.

Hopefully her grandmother can convert her.

Just dont drop it. I dropped one of my cast iron skillets on a gas rangetop, and chipped the gently caress out of the coating on the range. It'd probably go poorly for a glass top as well.

I currently use my cast iron on a glasstop with no issue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bachelard rear end posted:

Another thumbs up for the chicken and potatoes, and also the "bacon sprouts," recipes itt. I made them in my (fairly) newly stripped and seasoned skillet and my tummy was happy. Rubbed the drumsticks in Weber's "N'Orleans Cajun" seasoning (if pre-made seasonings are a GWS no-no, oops?) and it made everything even better.

I don't think most people here will give you poo poo for premade seasonings. You may find yourself using them less and less as you get more into cooking, or not.

I think curry powder is the only premade mix that most people will tell you to absolutely stay away form.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I don't think most people here will give you poo poo for premade seasonings. You may find yourself using them less and less as you get more into cooking, or not.

I think curry powder is the only premade mix that most people will tell you to absolutely stay away form.

Chili powder, too.

Other than that, whatever. I use Spike, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, Slap Ya Mama (upgraded from Tony Chachere's), and a couple other seasoning blends on occasion. Just keep in mind that like any preground spice, the potency will fade much faster than buying whole spices and grinding them on the spot.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use one from Suriname sometimes that is actually not bad.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've decided to re-season my cast iron pan. When I did the initial seasoning I was using a propane oven with terrible temperature control (and was paying for propane) so I ended up not doing as many coats as I wanted to. I'm now doing it with an electric oven with pretty good temperature control, and I'm not paying for the electric bill. Hope it turns out better than it did before!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm about to go to a ranch for Labor Day weekend where the SOP is get drunk until 3am, then wake up by 7:30 and cure the hangover with bacon, sausage and eggs all cooked in the same cast iron skillet. It's the way it's been and the way it will always be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm about to go to a ranch for Labor Day weekend where the SOP is get drunk until 3am, then wake up by 7:30 and cure the hangover with bacon, sausage and eggs all cooked in the same cast iron skillet. It's the way it's been and the way it will always be.

You'd feel double better if you drink a shitton of water before you go to sleep. Then you can enjoy your eggs and bacon without the Warhammer of Damocles bashing you in the face every two minutes. Also a giant morning pee.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Mix some powerade or gatorade in there too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

Mix some powerade or gatorade in there too.

The last thing you need is sugar and all that other poo poo in there. Water's just perfect.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
theres no sugar in my powerade or gatorade. it's actually quite helpful to drink it, but to each their own.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

theres no sugar in my powerade or gatorade. it's actually quite helpful to drink it, but to each their own.

It's got electrolytes. It's what plants need.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I found that drinking a glass of water between alcoholic beverages helps in every way, keeps you hydrated, feel better in the morning and prolongs the feeling good stage of drinking while helping to prevent over consumption.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Drifter posted:

It's got electrolytes. It's what plants need.

I hate to correct you, but it's actually what plants crave. I know, I sound gay.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

I found that drinking a glass of water between alcoholic beverages helps in every way, keeps you hydrated, feel better in the morning and prolongs the feeling good stage of drinking while helping to prevent over consumption.

It's true and it's what I do at whisky or beer festivals and stuff, but when I'm out drinking with friends it's just not happening.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

psychokitty posted:

I hate to correct you, but it's actually what plants crave. I know, I sound gay.

No no, if I'm going to sarcastically quote a movie to poke fun at someone's beliefs, I should at least have the correct quote.

Thanks for looking out. I had just watched the thing like 6 months ago, too. I should drink more gatorade to help with my memory.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

After putting 6 or 7 coats of seasoning on my pan, it looked pretty drat good. I cooked in it, and it seems like some of the seasoning on the cooking surface came off - and thats the only area it did. The seasoning on the walls of the pan and on the outside seems pretty good still. Not sure if I should strip it and start over again or just try to keep seasoning it - but right now it doesn't seem like anything is sticking to certain spots.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stop worrying about it. The seasoning will grow sturdier with time.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread