Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My gear is usually in pretty good shape, it just gets slightly uncomfortable seeing my HP get on the wrong side of 50%, speaking as someone who usually plays healer. But yeah I guess as I'm not dropping dead from neglect I'll try and stay a bit chiller about it.

The only threshold you should be getting uncomfortable at is 0%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So I'm tanking for the first time (Warrior with 22 in Gladiator) and still pretty unsure what my responsibilities and expectations of others should be (outside of the obvious aggro dudes and don't die). If I'm frequently dropping below a third health against trash should I be giving my healer a hard time? As a rule of thumb should it be my responsibility or the DPSs' to kill adds? In the latter case I've had a couple of runs go tits-up now because we've been flooded with adds and I didn't want to burn through my entire TP bar trying to kill them by myself (obviously I've taken aggro but otherwise stuck to the main boss), is that just bad play on the DPSs part or what?

Your primary responsibility is to mark targets and hold hate. Mark them 1, 2, 3 and the DPS will kill them in that order, if adds show up flash them and mark them. Don't bitch out your healer unless you die multiple times. Also, yes always burn through your TP bar using combos on trash mobs. What the hell are you saving it for? Use TP until things die, Flash is MP based and Voke is on a timer, combos build hate like crazy and you should be spamming the hell out of them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also use your cooldowns. A little bit of damage reduction goes a long ways.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My gear is usually in pretty good shape, it just gets slightly uncomfortable seeing my HP get on the wrong side of 50%, speaking as someone who usually plays healer. But yeah I guess as I'm not dropping dead from neglect I'll try and stay a bit chiller about it.

You usually play healer in other games or in this game? For instance, in some games you're only dinged on the aggro meter for the actual amount you heal. In FFXIV if your heal had 1000hp of potency, that's how much your aggro goes up, even if your effective heal was 600hp. Because of this, its generally considered bad form to top up unless you expect a big hit to come or you have total confidence in your tank's ability to control the fight.

It's hard to know without knowing the context, really. But being like Fonzie is probably a good idea, anyway.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Fishious posted:

which can edge out over Garuda with contagion but you will need MP like a drat fix,

As a typical garuda summoner that uses ruin 1 and not ruin 2, this would honestly be a new experience.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Your primary responsibility is to mark targets and hold hate. Mark them 1, 2, 3 and the DPS will kill them in that order, if adds show up flash them and mark them. Don't bitch out your healer unless you die multiple times. Also, yes always burn through your TP bar using combos on trash mobs. What the hell are you saving it for? Use TP until things die, Flash is MP based and Voke is on a timer, combos build hate like crazy and you should be spamming the hell out of them.

What I meant was when bosses summon adds, obviously I go nuts on trash but I figure if I blow out all my TP trying to kill goons in the middle of a bossfight I'm not gonna be able to keep up my bread and butter combo on the main target consistently. I had this happen in the level 30 guildhest vs the Malboro boss where I ignored the bubble stream unless they actually turned into a mob thinking the DPS would take care of it, and then we had 15 adds and everyone died. I didn't know about marking though, how do I do that?

PhilippAchtel posted:

You usually play healer in other games or in this game? For instance, in some games you're only dinged on the aggro meter for the actual amount you heal. In FFXIV if your heal had 1000hp of potency, that's how much your aggro goes up, even if your effective heal was 600hp. Because of this, its generally considered bad form to top up unless you expect a big hit to come or you have total confidence in your tank's ability to control the fight.

It's hard to know without knowing the context, really. But being like Fonzie is probably a good idea, anyway.

Mainly from WoW, this is good to know and probably explains alot, thanks!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sacro posted:

Tank while taking no actions besides flash and defensive cooldowns. Say "I didn't queue as dps" whenever anyone mentions what you're doing. Link to your twitch stream where you murder puppies live. You'll still get 3 commendations.

Totally the same thing.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

What I meant was when bosses summon adds, obviously I go nuts on trash but I figure if I blow out all my TP trying to kill goons in the middle of a bossfight I'm not gonna be able to keep up my bread and butter combo on the main target consistently. I had this happen in the level 30 guildhest vs the Malboro boss where I ignored the bubble stream unless they actually turned into a mob thinking the DPS would take care of it, and then we had 15 adds and everyone died. I didn't know about marking though, how do I do that?

That guildhest tends to be a bit of cluster. Ideally the dps (particularly ranged dps) are killing the blue bubbles before they summon adds and letting the purple bubbles go by, but people can't read. (Or some people like to burn the boss and ignore the adds? Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.) A complete disaster is about par for the course when it comes to guildhests after level 10.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

PhilippAchtel posted:

That guildhest tends to be a bit of cluster. Ideally the dps (particularly ranged dps) are killing the blue bubbles before they summon adds and letting the purple bubbles go by, but people can't read. (Or some people like to burn the boss and ignore the adds? Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.) A complete disaster is about par for the course when it comes to guildhests after level 10.

I've done that one a total of once for each class I've got at 30+ for the bonus exp and I'll never do it again at this point. If the DPS doesn't handle the adds before they pop it is an unmitigated disaster every time.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I've done that one a total of once for each class I've got at 30+ for the bonus exp and I'll never do it again at this point. If the DPS doesn't handle the adds before they pop it is an unmitigated disaster every time.

I liked how the two guildhests you have to do for the story are this one and Gil Turtle. Good choices, Yoshi-P. :thumbsup:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm a bit confused by the class/job system. I understand that you gain levels in a class by using their weapon type so that you can gain levels in multiple classes, and I get that there are advanced classes that require you to have reached a certain level in two classes. But I'm seeing guides online saying that eventually you will level all classes to maximum which sounds weird, and I don't understand the cross-class skills. Are they skills you pick up leveling one class that you can use if you switch weapons to a different class?

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah, you've pretty much got it. If you have a thaumaturge at 26 you can use swiftcast on other classes, for example. Only certain skills can be cross classed.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm a bit confused by the class/job system. I understand that you gain levels in a class by using their weapon type so that you can gain levels in multiple classes, and I get that there are advanced classes that require you to have reached a certain level in two classes. But I'm seeing guides online saying that eventually you will level all classes to maximum which sounds weird, and I don't understand the cross-class skills. Are they skills you pick up leveling one class that you can use if you switch weapons to a different class?

You don't have to level all classes to max. Cross class skills are ones that your selected job (advanced classes are what you called them) can inherit from two other base classes. Paladin draws from conjurer and marauder for example. So yes, if you were to level conjurer and marauder some, you could use some of those abilities while you play as a Paladin. Often this is encouraged because the skills you can get are very helpful buffs or additional damage dealing capabilities.

Scruffybub
Aug 10, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I main Warrior, and dropping below 50% with pubbies is pretty common. When you run with a decent healer, they should be able to do a noticeably better job than pubbies, which definitely makes you feel more comfortable since you don't have to worry so much about your HP. Also, DPS should be killing adds. To be fair though, some will argue that the tank should be marking targets, but it all depends on the group you're with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dick Trauma posted:

As an example, here's a list of what Black Mage can have from its cross-classes, Archer and Arcanist: http://xivdb.com/?skilltree/Black-Mage

So yeah, you don't have to get them to max at all, though it can be incentive when you get half way through one to get a skill and think "You know, this is actually pretty good too..".

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Always attempt to grab adds, there will be exceptions but typically the tank can handle anything a boss is throwing at them. Times you don't want to worry about adds is like, the first boss of Stone Vigil Hard and all four bosses for Pharos Sirius but that's way later. For Warriors this means Overpower Spam with Berserk when the adds spawn so you maintain hate on everything, and with Paladin yes, it does mean target switching and spamming flash. If you have a caster in the group, this is typically when you want to call out for a Caster Limit Break when everything is nice and grouped up.

Add phases of a fight are also typically what you want to be saving your big money defensive cooldowns for.

Marking is right click-mark target, or square/x on a controller.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone, I shall endeavor to become the not-the-worst Warrior on the server!

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Verranicus posted:

Totally the same thing.

Yeah actually it is. I wouldn't lose aggro to the vast majority of random dps players by only using flash, so clearly I'm doing my job.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
I logged on this morning and Nandi (S-rank) spawns so I invite random shout pubbies. One of them was a BG member leader.

:qq:

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 30, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sacro posted:

Tank while taking no actions besides flash and defensive cooldowns. Say "I didn't queue as dps" whenever anyone mentions what you're doing. Link to your twitch stream where you murder puppies live. You'll still get 3 commendations.

The last couple LLDR I've done as a tank have had me taning and teaching pugilists that no, you don't flank/rear attack 100% of the time unless you want to do poo poo DPS and to read their skill descriptions.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

dangersandwich posted:

I logged on this morning and Nandi (S-rank) spawns so I invite random shout pubbies. One of them was BG's leader, Calloway.

That's not BG's leader, since that isn't Carraway. :v:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

dangersandwich posted:

I logged on this morning and Nandi (S-rank) spawns so I invite random shout pubbies. One of them was BG's leader, Calloway.

I think 45 seals is a fair price to pay for saving yourself the slot in your blacklist for another entitled baby.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Smart Car posted:

That's not BG's leader, since that isn't Carraway. :v:

Ah, got them confused. Either way, he's still a big baby.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

dangersandwich posted:

Joke's in him, his blacklist is probably full of gilsellers and can't be arsed to make room for you anyway.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If it happens consistently with a particular healer but not that much in general, then yeah, you may want to chat with that healer about it. Though as long as you're not dying, no harm no foul, and consider it an excuse to practice cooldown use to mitigate oh-poo poo moments.

If it happens consistently on a particular pull regardless of your healers, then just make a mental note of that pull being extra painful and one you should use a cooldown for, if possible. For an early example, in Halatali normal, those mantis enemies after the first boss are like lalala boringboring, OMG SPIKE DAMAGE.

If it seems to happen semi-consistently regardless of outside factors, double-check the gear thing. While every goddamn job benefits a lot from having an up to date and preferably HQ (or pink/green quality) weapon, tanks in particular also benefit a lot from left-side armor. Physical and magic defense stats actually help quite a lot in damage mitigation, and you get very big increases in them from each of the following:

- Up to date item level (even just 5 ilevels is appreciable)
- HQ/pink/green vs. NQ/store-bought/quest-rewarded
- The armor actually being intended for tanks

The first two points should be obvious enough. For the third, you probably already know to avoid generic Disciple of War or even worse, "all classes" gear. (And if you didn't know before, you know now.) And WAR/PLD gear is always safe. The tricky part is the WAR/PLD/DRG gear:

If the WAR/PLD/DRG gear has equal physical and magic defense, it's good tank gear.

If the WAR/PLD/DRG gear has unequal defense (specifically it'll be about twice as much physical defense as magic defense), it's not good tank gear.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

My comfort zone for health while tanking is less "oh I'm not comfortable <50%" or whatever and more "I don't like it when it looks like the damage I'll take in the next two seconds will probably kill me". I can get knocked to 20% on t8 and not really give a poo poo because I know there's a good 3-4 GCDs before the boss does anything remotely dangerous. Meanwhile if you've got 8 mobs on you in a 4man and you notice your HP is running for the hills and the WHM is revving up Holy #4 then I hope you have holmgang or he has benediction.

Dick Trauma posted:

Equipping a weapon causes you to completely change to the class that uses that weapon. There are some abilities that can be equipped on classes other than the one they belong to, like Fracture from Marauder and Swiftcast from Thaumaturge. If you've completed a quest that becomes available when you get a class to 30 (and a specific other class to 15) you can equip a job crystal for that class that gives you more abilities in exchange for restricting your cross-class skill options (you can only pick 5 instead of 10 at max level, and you can only pick them from two classes which depend on what job you are). This is not a big deal most of the time because cross class abilities are mostly kind of "eh" anyway.
It is not unusual for someone to level most or all of the classes to 50. To start with though, you generally level one thing to 30, then the required second class to 15, then take the level 30 one to 50, and then level what you need to get the appropriate cross-class skills. So if you're leveling pugilist, you'll eventually need lancer at 34 to get Blood for Blood and Invigorate, and Marauder at 26 to get Mercy Strokeand Fracture if that's how you want to be.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Sometimes I let the tank's HP drop into the 100-900 range in 4 man stuff. I never let 'em die, but I like them to get a little worried that I've forgotten I'm supposed to be healing.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The healer's job is to deal as much damage as possible while keeping everyone alive. If your tank is constantly on the brink of death, that just means you're playing optimally :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

Is he? I only use him on trash mobs, since I'm tired of seeing garuda all the time. I don't remember seeing any "buff" to ifrit however. I still use him anyway though. He's my fav.

They fixed all the major bugs he had, so now he works properly. On top of that, all his skills got a slight buff. His main attack is 120 potency vs. Garuda's 90, his AOE attack is 110 vs. Garuda's 100, and his enkindle attack is a 200 potency cone that inflicts a 100 potency DOT (Garuda's is just a flat 250). And on top of that, he even auto-attacks in addition to his main attack, and his damage benefits from a monk's blunt resistance debuff. Ifrit will always do more damage than Garuda.

On the other hand, all of Garuda's attacks are ranged so positioning isn't a huge issue, and Contagion is really REALLY good.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

You can burn the boss or pop the bubbles, the only really annoying hest is the one with the resurrecting demons.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Greetings, fellow goons.

I am sufficiently OCD and spergy enough to reinstall FFXIV just so that I can remove myself from the FC properly. :wtc:

Scruffybub
Aug 10, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Greetings, fellow goons.

I am sufficiently OCD and spergy enough to reinstall FFXIV just so that I can remove myself from the FC properly. :wtc:

You'll get drawn back in.....You will.....I know it.....Just like FFXI...

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
:lol: shitlord withered drydick is gonna blacklist you hahaha gently caress bg

oh hi thread :toot:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Any goons on Brynhildr? I just leveled my first job to 50, and I'm having a blast so far. When exactly does crafting become a thing? I started at around the same time as three other dudes, all playing separate classes, and we haven't figured out the point of crafting things yet.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
How am I supposed to unlock my relic weapon on a new job? I went to Nedrick Ironheart but he's not giving out the relic quest anymore, and when I go to Gerolt he just mumbles something about Jalzahn. :(

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Mattybee posted:

How am I supposed to unlock my relic weapon on a new job? I went to Nedrick Ironheart but he's not giving out the relic quest anymore, and when I go to Gerolt he just mumbles something about Jalzahn. :(

I had the same problem a while back. Have you finished all your new job's quest line? The relic quest won't unlock until you've done all the other job quests.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I had the same problem a while back. Have you finished all your new job's quest line? The relic quest won't unlock until you've done all the other job quests.

... oh. :saddowns: That would do it, yeah!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Mattybee posted:

... oh. :saddowns: That would do it, yeah!

And the quest will start at gerolt when you are eligible.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Even though 2.4 is (at least) over a month away, I'm wondering how I'm going to level a Rogue without the ease of starting area quest lines. Admittedly, I haven't played in about 10 months, but I still got my character to Dragoon and Paladin in the time I did play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Another issue is if you have any of the zodiac books for another relic in your key items you can't start the relic quest.

• Locked thread