Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On the other hand it had Silver Stallion by the Highwaymen, so it kind of balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This horror music discussion gives me the opportunity to admit what may be my greatest music/gaming sin.

I like Silent Hill by Korn.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Shattered Memories is the shaky, amateur proof-of-concept for the best exploration/personal horror game that will never be made.
I pretty much agree with this.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Hadooooken posted:

Adding to the Silent Hill discussion, I honestly like the cult aspect a lot, and if you consider that it's not really "about" the cult as much as what happened as a result of what the cult did, it's way more interesting than "Silent Hill just wants you to face your demons!!!!"

Also, I want more people to watch this video series on the franchise.
It's pretty extensive, and it touches on a lot of misconceptions about the series. It even got Tomm Hulett(producer of SH:SM and DP)'s attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M

Thank you for this series, holy poo poo

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

It's a really well done series, and it taught me a lot about the series as a whole (Although I never ever subscribed to the alternate dimensions theories). The SH collection and downpour parts especially are highly recommended.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Butt Ghost posted:

This horror music discussion gives me the opportunity to admit what may be my greatest music/gaming sin.

I like Silent Hill by Korn.

This is a sin - from Republic Commando - not a horror game as such, but after all the John Williams style music, this is so out of place..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DlHk49S2s

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Five Nights at Freddy's apparently gets into some crazy backstory poo poo.

One of the signs visible on the security cameras is occasionally replaced with a random news clipping that you can only really read if you screencap it and zoom in. The news clippings talk about poo poo like a child murderer who lured his victims into the backstage area of Freddy's where all the costumes were kept, and how the children's remains were never found. They also talk about poo poo like a horrible rotting smell coming from the animal mascots at Freddy's.

And then someone ran into a bug that caused the scream voice clip in the game to not get cut off. It's a child screaming for several seconds. :cry:

The gameplay is still sorta off but I can't fault them for trying to put their heart into it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's apparently gets into some crazy backstory poo poo.

Oh yeah the creator has even confirmed that (story spoilers) Freddy's is haunted, and that (presumably) is the reason the animatronics are "malfunctioning". Personally I think that actually makes the game less scary than if they were just simply robots going haywire but that's just personal preference.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

As far as Silent Hill 1 goes, I think it's actually the best game from a technical perspective. 2 and 3 are more enjoyable because of the superior graphics and enemy design, but SH1 managed to make those lovely graphics and generic enemies still really really scary. It still managed to be creepy and frightening despite the terrible dialogue and the confusing storytelling. And that is an impressive accomplishment.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also the sound design for SH1 was completely out of control for the time, loving amazing. The story's vagueness works for me though, the back story you get via the files is a much more brazen take on Twin Peaks than future games. The little subplots that don't really go anywhere are there for that reason (like the Indian drug runner), the way the other world is described, they're all just things taken from various Twin Peaks episodes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is a horror game good if you're terrified of the concept, yet when you actually play or watch the game it completely kills any dread you have about it? Because that's where I am at with Five Nights at Freddy's. I'm unfortunately having no trouble in scaring myself silly when I think about this game at night, yet when I watch one of the many jump-on-the-fad videos or steams about Freddy, I'm just laughing at every stupid jump scare or doofy plot reveal.

Has this game succeeded in a sense if I'm still scared by the concept, or am I giving this game too much credit if my imagination's doing all the work that the dev possibly should have done?

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Crabtree posted:

Is a horror game good if you're terrified of the concept, yet when you actually play or watch the game it completely kills any dread you have about it? Because that's where I am at with Five Nights at Freddy's. I'm unfortunately having no trouble in scaring myself silly when I think about this game at night, yet when I watch one of the many jump-on-the-fad videos or steams about Freddy, I'm just laughing at every stupid jump scare or doofy plot reveal.

Has this game succeeded in a sense if I'm still scared by the concept, or am I giving this game too much credit if my imagination's doing all the work that the dev possibly should have done?

I think Five Nights at Freddy's pulls off the character designs and the feeling of dread well, which are the parts that scared me, but after you figure out the game's mechanics it really loses its luster. Once you know cues for when you screwed up the suspense is gone. Freddy's AI kind of tries to counter that, but it didn't quite pull it off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Are you actually playing the game or just watching it? Because games are best experienced, not filtered through someone's reactions on a face cam.

But I've experienced what you're feeling before. I never found Alien scary, even as a kid. Beyond the slow pacing and brooding atmosphere of the first half, the movie devolves into predictable slasher tropes. But it's still a thrilling and beautifully shot movie and I appreciate that much more than its attempts at being a scary film.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Alien seemed all right in concept, but the greenish face in the corner of the screen constantly making exaggerated scared expressions kind of killed the mood for me.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Freddy's isn't really scary when watching someone else play it. When you aren't trying to keep track of the dudes, you are fully aware of how dumb the stuffed animals look when they pop up and go "OOGA BOOGA BOOGA" while flailing their arms. Especially the fox, who casually leans into the room with no tension at all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I know this post is from like 20 pages ago and sometime around the first of July, but I have not laughed that hard in a long time.
Holy poo poo, that was amazing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Shattered Memories is the shaky, amateur proof-of-concept for the best exploration/personal horror game that will never be made.

Believe in Silent Hills :unsmith:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So this inspired me to start playing Silent Hill 4 again. It's pretty much like I remembered it. The gameplay is kind of rear end (drat invincible ghosts giving you no time to explore things), but ye gods, that game is atmospheric. There's this sense to it where it's hard to tell just what's happening and what isn't. You're in a hole, you're out of a hole, Cynthia dies in one of the uglier death scenes in the series, you get brief police chatter about it, then you get static. I really like everything about it except how they implemented the fighting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HellCopter posted:

Freddy's isn't really scary when watching someone else play it. When you aren't trying to keep track of the dudes, you are fully aware of how dumb the stuffed animals look when they pop up and go "OOGA BOOGA BOOGA" while flailing their arms. Especially the fox, who casually leans into the room with no tension at all.

Yeah, the reason the scares are so effective is because the game is making you spin so many plates that you can't help but let your guard down, so when the eventual scare comes, you're not expecting it. It's like a magic trick, obviously if you sit down and pay attention, the guy is just moving the ball from one hand to the other, but by throwing in all this misdirection and pulling your focus away from what's actually going on, you can get a really good reaction.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Speaking of death scenes and SH1 being unnerving in all the right ways, I used to get so unsettled by the nurse's death (Lisa?) in Nowhere near the end of the game. She is smiling insanely and begging you for help, then blood starts running from her eyes and mouth...

Also the first time you were outside in the town when things went rusty (aside from the beginning), not just dark but the streets became grates over bottomless pits... blew my mind and terrified me as a kid.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm confident that Five Nights at Freddy's is not the greatest horror game of all time, but I think it is well worth the price of $5.00 in terms of enjoyment. Decently scary as a game and miles above Slender and the others in that genre so don't be fooled if you think it is anything like those in play/quality.

The mechanics behind the play are interesting enough for me to consider it $5.00 well spent but I'm a nerd for thinking about the functions behind horror games so that bias is there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Are you actually playing the game or just watching it? Because games are best experienced, not filtered through someone's reactions on a face cam.

But I've experienced what you're feeling before. I never found Alien scary, even as a kid. Beyond the slow pacing and brooding atmosphere of the first half, the movie devolves into predictable slasher tropes. But it's still a thrilling and beautifully shot movie and I appreciate that much more than its attempts at being a scary film.

I've tasted the demo but it didn't give me any intention to buy the whole thing. But its become the next Amnesia and is so popular that its inescapable. So sometimes I think about it too much and I slowly freak myself out over a very good concept. :v:

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the reason the scares are so effective is because the game is making you spin so many plates that you can't help but let your guard down, so when the eventual scare comes, you're not expecting it. It's like a magic trick, obviously if you sit down and pay attention, the guy is just moving the ball from one hand to the other, but by throwing in all this misdirection and pulling your focus away from what's actually going on, you can get a really good reaction.

I get how that can work, but I can only laugh at the scare-me when it arrives. It just looks so goofy when they run through the door and come at you. Everything up to that is fine and maybe its just the limitations of trying to work with a good foundation and little else. The lack of sound and the idea of something unseen coming for you works well even outside the game, but I almost expect a squeaky toy sound to play when they grab you.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 29, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oriongates posted:

As far as Silent Hill 1 goes, I think it's actually the best game from a technical perspective. 2 and 3 are more enjoyable because of the superior graphics and enemy design, but SH1 managed to make those lovely graphics and generic enemies still really really scary. It still managed to be creepy and frightening despite the terrible dialogue and the confusing storytelling. And that is an impressive accomplishment.

I think the lovely VA in the Silent Hill games is part of what contributes to their atmosphere, which is why it stuck around well after they had the budget to do better. All the really stilted delivery just contributes to the sense of things being off in a David Lynch sort of way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the lovely VA in the Silent Hill games is part of what contributes to their atmosphere, which is why it stuck around well after they had the budget to do better. All the really stilted delivery just contributes to the sense of things being off in a David Lynch sort of way.

SH1 had it because of budget/game voice acting sucking in general* but in SH2 this was a specific choice. They also had a much older (than the character) woman voice and motion capture Angela also to make her seem off too. SH3 and 4's VA though is just oddly bland outside of some of Heather's lines.

*Obviously stuff like Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain and other examples were already around but game voice acting, in general, still wasn't considered a thing you put any real effort into at the time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Claudia in SH3 seemed to be way into her role. This might not have been a *good* thing, but she was certainly enthusiastic.

"IT IS THE ASCENSION OF GAWWWWWWD!"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I liked Douglas' too, he sounded like an old man that got completely worn down by life to the point where he barely gives a poo poo anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I liked Douglas' too, he sounded like an old man that got completely worn down by life to the point where he barely gives a poo poo anymore.

I still can't believe they didn't somehow get this character into one of the movies and have him played by Donald Sutherland. It'd be like if The Terminator was a video game character first and then in the movie they used anyone other than Arnold.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Seemed like the best place to ask. For anyone playing Silent Hill 3 on PC, do you know how to skip the song that plays at the start? Every time I try to play the game I have to sit through the drat song.

edit: I had to bind a key to "Skip"

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 30, 2014

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Five Nights at Freddy's seems like a game that I'd like see get an expanded remake. Not too much added, just a few more rooms and some more animations. Maybe the rabbit and the chicken could come in through different doors?

As for the "real backstory" I'm not a fan. having the whole thing just be an innocent, if oddly specific hardware malfunction that the management refuses to fix is a lot more original and in keeping with the game's goofy and satirical tone than [spoiler]the place being straight-up haunted[spoiler].

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think that's why the developer didn't emphasize that newspaper story, and why you had to basically freeze-frame, zoom and enhance just to see it. It's there for people who really want to dig into the game and find some hidden backstory, everybody else can just make up their own interpretation for why it's all happening.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Seemed like the best place to ask. For anyone playing Silent Hill 3 on PC, do you know how to skip the song that plays at the start? Every time I try to play the game I have to sit through the drat song.

I remember being able to skip it in the PC version. I think you may have to press return or escape. Kinda like the equivalent of the start button on a ps2 controller. Barring that just mash all the keys on your keyboard.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Whats everyone's thoughts on the Fatal Frame games? Should I play them?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

You're going to get nothing but resounding yes yes yes from everyone. Yes! Go! Enjoy one of the few truly scary series out there!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Yeah. As far as I'm concerned they're the best (only?) example of a horror game mixing a genuinely scary atmosphere with legit fun gameplay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The first three are all on PSN now too so you don't have spend that much.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Thinking about P.T/Silent Hills it's actually really nice that we'll be getting a new SH game made by a competent team again.

You can like all the SH games after Team Silent all you want but gently caress if they didn't have a whole range of technical problems. Bugs, glitches, framerate suttering, freezing, lovely texture work and overall shoddiness. It's pretty shameful really when the first 3 games are technically and artistically brilliant. I don't how Kojima and Del Toro will handle the story and atmosphere side of things but I do know they care about what they put out and Kojima's team puts stuff out that loving works and never breaks or bugs out on you. Just because of that it's going to be the best SH game since 4 by default.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As far as I'm concerned Kojima is the person I trust most to make a really great Silent Hill game. Who else could pull it off nowadays?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bossie Lott posted:

Thinking about P.T/Silent Hills it's actually really nice that we'll be getting a new SH game made by a competent team again.

You can like all the SH games after Team Silent all you want but gently caress if they didn't have a whole range of technical problems. Bugs, glitches, framerate suttering, freezing, lovely texture work and overall shoddiness. It's pretty shameful really when the first 3 games are technically and artistically brilliant. I don't how Kojima and Del Toro will handle the story and atmosphere side of things but I do know they care about what they put out and Kojima's team puts stuff out that loving works and never breaks or bugs out on you. Just because of that it's going to be the best SH game since 4 by default.
A lot of that is on Konami's shoulders though. They tended to screw over the Western devs pretty hard, just look at Origins' development for the biggest example.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

They're all pretty good, but Crimson Butterfly is probably the best of the lot and mostly standalone plot-wise, so feel free to start with that one. It's a PS2 game and emulates very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah the second installment is a good starting point, as weird as that may seem. I like all three but the second one has a vibe that the others don't, somehow.