Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

echoMateria posted:

"finally released" might be a bit strong since Among the Stars was available since 2012. It was released in Europe by 2012 in English after a successful IndieGoGo campaign. But American customers found it too much of a trouble to buy a game from Europe, so they did a Kickstarter last year to co-publish it with Stronghold Games. They also did a Kickstarter for its expansion Among the Stars: The Ambassadors in 2013 and another Kickstarter for a new game set in the same universe called New Dawn a couple of months ago.

It has been Artipia's most successful title so far and I recommend it heartily with its expansion. It is widely popular and considered as the go-to drafting game by most, though die hard fans of 7 Wonders disagree due to brand loyalty.:awesomelon:

Oh wow. I did not know much of this stuff
Is it strictly 3+ players? Also saw something about a alternate way to play with dummy ai, effectively, from Rhando run through so might check that out too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lord Frisk posted:

That's a pretty bold statement. I've never even heard of the game, so I'm inherently doubting your claims of "most". It's cool to claim you like it, but don't stuff words in other people's mouths.

You shouldn't take statements that end with a smiley too seriously just because they take a friendly jab at your favorite game. Even though that smiley is a cylon it doesn't make it any less valid! :awesomelon:

Secondly, your being ignorant of a game or people's comments about it doesn't make it any less popular nor the comments false. It is talked about dozens of times on this very thread and its previous iterations.

It is a good game that I can recommend to people without reservations, especially if you are a fan of the sci-fi genre and building a tableau.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is it strictly 3+ players? Also saw something about a alternate way to play with dummy ai, effectively, from Rhando run through so might check that out too

Yes, there is a method to play it with 2 players where the game simulates 2 other players as AI dummies. Each player has some control on a dummy, so they can be manipulated into your advantage, so people like Rahdo who exclusively play 2 player games are able to play it and love the game. I prefer to play it with 3-4 players since I don't like dummy AI players, but tastes differ, there are a lot of people who like playing board games solo too, while I get no joy from that, for example.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Playing off a comment about a game being considered the best as tongue-in-cheek probably works better if you don't do it in-between breaths of singing the praises of that same game.

Also, repeatedly using phrases like "recommend without reservation" is a bit careless. I wouldn't recommend anything without reservation, not even my favorite game in the whole world.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Interestingly, contrary to an above poster, I value going for multiples of the same science symbol over sets, as they build into each other for cheaper. However, 2-2-2 does score better than 3-2-1, but I think 3-0-0 is easier to get than 1-1-1.
Yeah, I didn't want to get into too long a spiel, but 3-0-0 is perfectly valid if you can get it. I think it requires a somewhat more specific set of circumstances to be able to get it, if there are other science-y types grabbing them, since duplicates within the same age tend not to help you. But if the opportunity presents itself, it's just as good as 1-1-1. I did see somebody get like 5 or 6 of the same symbol in a game (using guild and a wonder stage of course), that was unfortunate.

Another good 7 Wonders tip is to strive for access to every resource either locally or via neighbors, so that you at least have the option to pay for most any card that comes along. Not necessarily an ironclad rule, but a decent starting goal for newbies.

When I'm teaching someone, I usually just say "if you get lost, focus on what you need to build your Wonder stages." That's usually enough to get them through a game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

If I'm really into zombie stuff, TWD, and games like that, is Zombicide a good purchase? Is Zombies!!! ? Do you have any games in that genre you would recommend?

Zombies!!! is terrible, as is Last Night on Earth and frankly most zombie games. Zombicide is solid if you like pure coop and are okay with the sticker shock. City of Horror is recommended if you're into really vicious PvP. I hear good things about Dead of Winter if you like fragile alliances towards a common goal being undercut by personal agendas.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Radho actually did a variant they made official in the expansion in his run-through. It normally does two dummy players, but that one has you drawing a card and discarding a card after you play. It's way better.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

echoMateria posted:

You shouldn't take statements that end with a smiley too seriously just because they take a friendly jab at your favorite game. Even though that smiley is a cylon it doesn't make it any less valid! :awesomelon:

Secondly, your being ignorant of a game or people's comments about it doesn't make it any less popular nor the comments false. It is talked about dozens of times on this very thread and its previous iterations.

A quick search finds you talking about it, Foehammer saying it's divisive and jmzero saying it's ok but not great (without the expansion) and suggesting it doesn't even scratch the same itch as 7 Wonders. I don't know if people's opinions have changed but my recollection of discussion about it here was not one of overwhelming positivity either.

I've never played it personally so my only opinion is it seems to take up an unreasonable amount of table space.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's a bit more complicated than 7W, and the fact that the layout of your station (the cards you draft) matters is interesting. I hear a lot of people say it needs the expansion to keep from getting stale quickly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Zombicide is the very definition of meat and potatoes mechanics wrapped up in bling. It's playable but dull. Zombies!!! is a complete piece of crap. It's only redeemable features being that it is cheap compared to Zombicide, and it wouldn't be hard to use the bits in the box to invent a better game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I went to FanExpo, and was shown a prerelease copy of Tragedy Looper. I don't remember who was talking about it/ran a PbP of it earlier, but if you do another PbP, I'd really like to join in.

The person demoing the game ran me and another person through the first scenario. By the second loop, we saw how much there is to like about the game. We were really terrible, and the game was intentionally handed to us by the scriptwriter, but I'd love to play again. I don't know how much my gaming group would like it though :(.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Babbys first mage knight trip report: reading rules plus setup took about 1.5 hours, started game at 830. 1/4 players dropped for sleep, finished introduction scenario at 145am. Had a lot of fun, cheated somewhat to finish faster. One player that need much assistance, was winning until Mario party like comeback by myself at the end, literally winning every extra thing to rubberband blow out. All enjoyed greatly and looking forward to next game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does Mage Knight's setup take ages, then? Or was that mostly reading/comprehending the rules that inflated the setup time?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Gort posted:

Does Mage Knight's setup take ages, then? Or was that mostly reading/comprehending the rules that inflated the setup time?

Both.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There's a whole lot of moving parts to set up in Mage Knight, and the rules seem very dense at first glance. Once you know what you're doing - and once you get the hang of planning everything out or doing all your upkeep on other people's turns - it speeds up a lot, but it's still not exactly a quick game.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Let's talk Thunderstone. I've been wanting this game forever, but good god is it confusing to decide where to start. From what I gather, Towers of Ruin, Numenera and Worlds Collide are all base sets with all necessary components, and the starter set is some sort of gutted base set for poor people. Towers of Ruin being out of stock at my FLGS and Numenera's deal being some lovely setting by some hack I don't give a poo poo about and sure as hell don't want to pay extra for, Worlds Collide seems like the safe bet to start with. Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

e: vvvv Thanks for this thought out and well written effortpost.

Hra Mormo fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 30, 2014

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hra Mormo posted:

Let's talk Thunderstone. I've been wanting this game forever, but good god is it confusing to decide where to start. From what I gather, Towers of Ruin, Numenera and Worlds Collide are all base sets with all necessary components, and the starter set is some sort of gutted base set for poor people. Towers of Ruin being out of stock at my FLGS and Numenera's deal being some lovely setting by some hack I don't give a poo poo about and sure as hell don't want to pay extra for, Worlds Collide seems like the safe bet to start with. Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

It's not a very good game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hra Mormo posted:

e: vvvv Thanks for this thought out and well written effortpost.

I got Numenera because the box looked nicest. I don't really know anything about the setting or whatever; but the game was pretty fun. I think the base sets all have different cards so maybe get all of them?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Hra Mormo posted:

Having played Numenera and Towers of Ruin, Towers of Ruin is a bit simpler and more straightforward, so I would recommend that to start with if you can find it. However, Numenera has an alternate use for the XP counters, called Ciphers, giving minor bonuses to various aspects of the game and generally making play smoother. I haven't played Worlds Collide, but I would imagine it would play more like Towers of Ruin.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

About the nicest thing I can say about Thunderstone is it has recently been dethroned from the position of most forgettable deckbuilder I've ever played by Star Realms.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
i forgot how good dominion was

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scyther posted:

I wouldn't recommend anything without reservation, not even my favorite game in the whole world.

If you can't enjoy Twilight Struggle you're a broken person :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

If you can't enjoy Diplomacy you're a broken person :colbert:

FTFY

Also, actual content: Why doesn't every game have awesome start player rules? Power Grid just does "random player", whereas Tzolk'in has "whoever last sacrificed something" (cool but impractical), Targi has "whoever last ate dates", Love Letter has "whoever was on a date last" and pandemic has "whoever was sick last", all of which randomizes the start player a bit. Unless you play a lot of games in one sitting. Or one guy is sick or date-crazed all the time.
And then there's "youngest player begins". I hate that. Some with Myrmes and "lowest player"

BonHair fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I liked For Sale's start method: the player with the biggest house.

Generally we roll dice to see who starts, but I agree with you. It can set the tone of the game.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Not sure how many people check out Shut up & Sit Down, I'm not always a fan of there reviews, but They did a quasi review on X Com and Dead of Winter

Suffice it to say it did perk my interest in the X Com game, as I've seen next to nothing about it, and I still want Dead of Winter. Just gotta wait a while longer sadly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonHair posted:

FTFY

Also, actual content: Why doesn't every game have awesome start player rules? Power Grid just does "random player", whereas Tzolk'in has "whoever last sacrificed something" (cool but impractical), Targi has "whoever last ate dates", Love Letter has "whoever was on a date last" and pandemic has "whoever was sick last", all of which randomizes the start player a bit. Unless you play a lot of games in one sitting. Or one guy is sick or date-crazed all the time.
And then there's "youngest player begins". I hate that. Some with Myrmes and "lowest player"

Alien Frontiers gives the start to the player who has spent the longest time on the planet Earth. Note that this is not specifically the same as saying whoever is oldest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Small World's "player with the pointiest ears" is cute, but it isn't likely to change between plays so it's a lot less interesting in practice than all those other ones.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The only proper way to determine player order is to bid for it with victory points, Puerto Rico tournament style.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only proper way to determine player order is to bid for it with victory points, Puerto Rico tournament style.

What do they do in the event of a tied bid?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Countblanc posted:

What do they do in the event of a tied bid?

The bidding protocol won't ever have a tie:

quote:

BIDDING FOR SEAT POSITION: All quarterfinal, semifinal and Final round games will use mandatory bidding for the seats. Each player will randomly draw a plantation tile from a set of one each of four types. The trading house values determine initial bid order, highest to lowest.
Going around in plantation order value (coffee goes first), each player will place a matching plantation tile on a bid value ranging from 0 to 5.0 VP (in increments of 0.5 VP) on a chart to be furnished by the GM. Bids may be zero but in all instances must be higher than any previous bids for a particular seat. Any player who has been outbid will have his marker removed and will, when his turn comes, bid again; either a higher value for the same seat or a different amount for another seat. A player whose bid is not topped by another bid does not get another bid; instead the bidding goes around to the next player without a bid marker in play. The process continues until all players’ bid markers are on a different seat, with the resulting bids representing the VP handicaps to be assigned for that particular game. These VP handicaps will be noted at the top of the particular seat position (1, 2, 3 or 4) on the scoresheet above the player’s name and will be subtracted from that player’s VP total at the end of the game.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I think it's Smash Up where the player who woke up earliest goes first, which is a really cool rule... except that you then have to play Smash Up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I think it's Smash Up where the player who woke up earliest goes first, which is a really cool rule... except that you then have to play Smash Up.

I've been enjoying Smash Up, even went out and got a couple expansion for it to add some variety. Obviously not as good as Agricola but its a lot better than Munchkin and you can convince anyone that wants to play Munchkin to play Smash Up instead.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I've been enjoying Smash Up, even went out and got a couple expansion for it to add some variety. Obviously not as good as Agricola but its a lot better than Munchkin and you can convince anyone that wants to play Munchkin to play Smash Up instead.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I'm still new at Diskwars and I think I'll be playing my first game in an hour or so, and I know people have recommended SnipeTroll for a resource for Diskwars but I am wondering about other starter armies or if the game scales down to an 'easy mode' four players easily. I usually go out to games nights where there are lots of people so having a game I could quickly introduce with 3 others is preferable than trying to do a whole bunch of 1v1s.

So, simply, would it play alright with 4 people with small 'sample' armies, and if so, what would you use for the other two (and tweak to the original two from the rulebook?) from the core set alone?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I've started another PBF game of Dead of Winter if anyone's interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661482

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

It's looking like I'll be playing the Game of Thrones Board Game for the first time this week with either 5 or 6 players. All of us will be playing it for the first time. Anything important to know that it is easy to gently caress up on?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Print out some reference cards for each house's generals. Also, if you're using the tides of battle cards, remove any cards more potent that +1 otherwise you'll make war swingy unpredictable nonsense and discourage attacking.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm still new at Diskwars and I think I'll be playing my first game in an hour or so, and I know people have recommended SnipeTroll for a resource for Diskwars but I am wondering about other starter armies or if the game scales down to an 'easy mode' four players easily. I usually go out to games nights where there are lots of people so having a game I could quickly introduce with 3 others is preferable than trying to do a whole bunch of 1v1s.

So, simply, would it play alright with 4 people with small 'sample' armies, and if so, what would you use for the other two (and tweak to the original two from the rulebook?) from the core set alone?

The booklet actually has some other "starter" armies under the advance section. I've dabbled with them just be aware that they are pretty swingy. Archaon is all about delivering himself and/or Bloodthirster to the opposing army in some fashion. The issue, besides potential real swingyness only commanding one general, is that they are STRICTLY by the points
IE the "starter armies" for the first couple games although its actually like 54 points and 56 while normally they'd be like 33 and 34(Guessing here but I know my other numbers are right)
I personally LIKE that better for starting out but you gotta make a list yourself for the Chaos and High Elf army to do that with 4 people

Digging around The Sniper Troll more he actually has some starter armies setup, so maybe thats the way to consider going?
If so you wanna look here

edit: The more I glance at his list the more I like em to be honest. The biggest "gotcha" thing to know ahead of a time, and maybe warn new players, is Archaon Impact + Hitting you within short range. As if he lands on 2 disk not only will he do 2 impact damage he'll also do the additional + 2 damage to each of them, plus anyone within short range.
Basically if he manages to jump on 2 weaker disk he will wipe em out in one glorious movement.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 31, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Game of Thrones is a Fantasy Flight game, so there's plenty of easily missed rules. Here's some highlights:

Ships at sea can support land battles. Land units cannot support sea battles.

You don't need to build a ship in a port. You can kick them straight into the sea. Ports are there to let you avoid violating army limits or to help break blockades. (Ports are a bit weird in general. Just accept that you're going to be checking those rules every time a port is involved in a thing somehow.)

The "Supply" track doesn't update immediately when a player captures or loses a supply territory. You only update Supply when a Westeros card tells you to.

If you use a Raid order on someone's Consolidate Power order, you also steal one point of power from them.

Your life will be much easier if you print off this player aid for checking rules, rather than trying to search the rulebook.

Also. this isn't a rule but a strong suggestion: If you have to play it with 5, don't play with the variant given in the rulebook (with Martell as Neutral). This almost always gives Baratheon or Tyrell an easy win. Instead, play without Greyjoy, and use the "Pike" token from the 3 player game, which makes Pike inaccessible.

If you have 3-4 players, play something else entirely. I don't care what the box says. The box is lying to you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only conclusion I can draw from SU&SD's glowing recommendation of Cash n Guns 2e is that they've never played 1e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can I find City of Horror relatively cheap? Is there a place I can buy it for like 15 / 20 bucks?

• Locked thread