Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

My US based company is converting from Solaris to SUSE. I have no idea why, tbh, I would have expected them to go RHEL, since we already have some RHEL from prior to the decision to move to a Linux platform.

You could defend choosing between SEL or RHEL easily, but defending supporting two different linuces? Ehhhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

You could defend choosing between SEL or RHEL easily, but defending supporting two different linuces? Ehhhh...

I actually officially support Solaris 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, SEL, RHEL 4, 5 and 6, and I think we have a couple HPUX boxes still active.

My company does not update anything if its not forced on us, but we do install new stuff when we do new builds. Some of those solaris 6 boxes have uptimes of over a thousand days, and upper management will not let us even reboot them for fear they will not come back(its happened once with a production critical server since I have been here)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

I actually officially support Solaris 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, SEL, RHEL 4, 5 and 6, and I think we have a couple HPUX boxes still active.

My company does not update anything if its not forced on us, but we do install new stuff when we do new builds. Some of those solaris 6 boxes have uptimes of over a thousand days, and upper management will not let us even reboot them for fear they will not come back(its happened once with a production critical server since I have been here)

I know this is super pedantic, but there never was a Solaris 5 or 6. There was Solaris 2.5 and 2.6

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

I know this is super pedantic, but there never was a Solaris 5 or 6. There was Solaris 2.5 and 2.6

and even 10 is actually 5.10. Their versioning doesn't match up to what anyone actually calls it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's the same when people say Red Hat 7 or w/e. They mean RHEL 7 but if you want to get anal about it it's not.

Nobody really cares, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Except there actually was a Red Hat 7.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Except there actually was a Red Hat 7.

Exactly, but nobody acutally means that old-rear end release when they talk about Red Hat 7 these days, they mean RHEL.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

It's the same when people say Red Hat 7 or w/e. They mean RHEL 7 but if you want to get anal about it it's not.

Nobody really cares, though.

If somebody says Red Hat Linux 7, they mean RHL, not RHEL. At least inside Red Hat.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

and even 10 is actually 5.10. Their versioning doesn't match up to what anyone actually calls it.

Sure, in some cases. Nobody calls 7,8,9,10,11 5.anything, but I've never heard anyone talk about Solaris 5/6, either. Maybe it's because the last time I saw 2.6 was in 2003, but there was a very clear distinction between "Solaris 2.x" and "Solaris X" at the time.

Also, 5.10 isn't... It's SunOS 5.X, not Solaris 5.X, if we want to keep being pedantic.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 30, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

Sure, in some cases. Nobody calls 7,8,9,10,11 5.anything, but I've never heard anyone talk about Solaris 5/6, either. Maybe it's because the last time I saw 2.6 was in 2003, but there was a very clear distinction between "Solaris 2.x" and "Solaris X" at the time.

Also, 5.10 isn't... It's SunOS 5.X, not Solaris 5.X, if we want to keep being pedantic.

Holy crap, even the guy I work with who spent 25 years at Sun doesn't call it SunOS.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

Holy crap, even the guy I work with who spent 25 years at Sun doesn't call it SunOS.

Because SunOS effectively died with Solaris 2.x, which effectively died with Solaris 7, but "uname" -> 5.11 is SunOS 5.11, not Solaris 5.11. It's Solaris 11. But 5.6 is SunOS 5.6, Solaris 2.6, not Solaris 6.

SunOS was a very different thing, but they kept continuity in naming (plus retroactively naming SunOS 4.x Solaris 1.x) to not scare people, despite SunOS and Solaris having different lineages and being basically incompatible.

Naming for marketing is hard.

SunOS until Solaris
Solaris -> SunOS 5
Solaris 2.6 until 2.7
Solaris 2.7 -> Solaris 7
Solaris 11 -> SunOS 5.11

Doesn't matter anyway. Just saying that I've never seen anyone talk about Solaris 5 or 6, and Sun didn't either. They differentiated minor -> major at 7, though there was some talk of making Sol11 Solaris 3.x/SunOS 6.x

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

Because SunOS effectively died with Solaris 2.x, which effectively died with Solaris 7, but "uname" -> 5.11 is SunOS 5.11, not Solaris 5.11. It's Solaris 11. But 5.6 is SunOS 5.6, Solaris 2.6, not Solaris 6.

SunOS was a very different thing, but they kept continuity in naming (plus retroactively naming SunOS 4.x Solaris 1.x) to not scare people, despite SunOS and Solaris having different lineages and being basically incompatible.

Naming for marketing is hard.

SunOS until Solaris
Solaris -> SunOS 5
Solaris 2.6 until 2.7
Solaris 2.7 -> Solaris 7
Solaris 11 -> SunOS 5.11

Doesn't matter anyway. Just saying that I've never seen anyone talk about Solaris 5 or 6, and Sun didn't either. They differentiated minor -> major at 7, though there was some talk of making Sol11 Solaris 3.x/SunOS 6.x

Weird. The handful we still have on 6(which all report SunOS 5.6) all all referred to as Solaris. I don't remember what the one or two that still ran 5 were referred to as other that 'that piece of poo poo again?'

You would think a fortune 500 company would want to spend a little on keeping a consistent environment, but noooooo...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love Linux version number discussion.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

I love Linux version number discussion.

It's more fun to plot upgrade naming from RH7.2 to RHEL Server to AS to RHEL to whatever the Fedora Workstation/Server groups turn into downstream in 8

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's a Beefy Miracle

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like the really old red hat ones like Mothers Day, Colgate, Cartman, Zoot, Guinness etc...

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I've been accumulating various web-facing services that I run from my Ubuntu PC, for personal use (e.g. RStudio Server, IPython notebook). I access them by specifying a port. They each have their own authentication process, some of which seem more secure than others.

The next step, it would seem, would be to have separate URLS for each service, so I don't have to remember the port numbers. Even better would be to handle authentication there so I don't have to implement it separately for each service (is there some way I can use the SSH keys I'm already using? that feel secure). It would also allow me to close all those ports and just use one HTML port, I think.

Can someone point me in the direction of what I should be reading to learn the next steps? Is this where Apache comes in? I know very little about this kind of thing, and I really do want to learn myself instead of having someone tell me what to do. But I don't know where to start.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I've been accumulating various web-facing services that I run from my Ubuntu PC, for personal use (e.g. RStudio Server, IPython notebook). I access them by specifying a port. They each have their own authentication process, some of which seem more secure than others.

The next step, it would seem, would be to have separate URLS for each service, so I don't have to remember the port numbers. Even better would be to handle authentication there so I don't have to implement it separately for each service (is there some way I can use the SSH keys I'm already using? that feel secure). It would also allow me to close all those ports and just use one HTML port, I think.

Can someone point me in the direction of what I should be reading to learn the next steps? Is this where Apache comes in? I know very little about this kind of thing, and I really do want to learn myself instead of having someone tell me what to do. But I don't know where to start.

Check out nginx, it's a web server that's built specifically to 'reverse proxy' to other services like what you want to do. Digitalocean.com has some decent tutorials on setting it up and configuring it too: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tags/nginx?secondary_filter=popular This one is nodejs-specific but you can ignore that and just check out the nginx configuration: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-host-multiple-node-js-applications-on-a-single-vps-with-nginx-forever-and-crontab

As far as authentication goes, the situation kind of sucks. HTTP basic authentication alone is not safe for anything because your password is sent in effectively clear text (it's base64 encoded but that's trivial to decode). HTTP digest authentication is more secure but not many servers support it well (including unfortunately nginx).

What a lot of people fall back on is forcing their pages to go over SSL so they're encrypted and then using HTTP basic authentication. That way you've got a basic means of auth and are also secure from people sniffing the connection and getting your password. You have to be careful to make sure your sites are only accessed over SSL though, because if they aren't over SSL then the password is just being sent in the clear. You can configure each nginx path to make sure it redirects to an SSL version if accessed over non-SSL.

This does require SSL to be setup which can be a pain, but you might look at cheap/free places to get an SSL cert like startssl.com. You can also generate a self-signed SSL certificate that will work great for encryption but make your browser freak out and throw warnings. Can find info on setting up your own cert with nginx here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-a-ssl-certificate-on-nginx-for-ubuntu-12-04

If the apps are just for you, I would go the self signed cert route and just ignore the browser warnings. The connection is still encrypted so its secure, it's just that the browser can't verify the server being accessed is the one that generated the SSL cert.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Excellent, thank you. I've already navigated the SSL stuff and am using a self-signed cert for the IPython Notebook. It sounds like that's the hardest part. Looking into nginx.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Completely unrelated question. The ~. escape sequence to quit an idle ssh session doesn't seem to work from fish shell. Any idea why? Google turns up nothing.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I've been playing around with Linux directory solutions the past week or so in my spare time. All I'm really interested in producing is central user account authentication with a secure file-system. I'm purely curious because this is an area of Linux I'm not versed in at all. Here's the things I've tried:

OpenLDAP with Debian server/clients. Worked fine, set up some users and then NFS. Put NFS share in client fstab and the users basically get roaming profiles when you map a home directory. Client setup was a breeze. Then I discover NFS basically has zero security, you can root a machine and change your UID and get access to anything. No go.

FreeIPA with Fedora server/clients. Works fine for authentication, easiest setup on client/server. Could not get NFS to run kerberized following any guide whatsoever. I'd get as far as everything working and wouldn't be able to remove auth=sys from the NFS export, so it wasn't any better than OpenLDAP. Disappointed that there is no ipa-client for Debian distros either.

Samba, Debian server/Deb+Win7 clients. Successfully added a Win 7 machine to the domain, user home directories map to H:. Working on getting a Debian workstation on the domain, but I'm finding it's actually more complex to do a client than setting up the goddamn server was.

Anyway, am I missing anything? Am I in over my head or is every directory solution on Linux really this obtuse, complex, and decentralized? The sanest Linux solution for this seems to be just mounting poo poo with sshfs or smb piecemeal. The whole experiment has really made me appreciate that I administer Active Directory for my living. Anything else out there that I should try?

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 1, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

babies havin rabies posted:

I've been playing around with Linux directory solutions the past week or so in my spare time. All I'm really interested in producing is central user account authentication with a secure file-system. I'm purely curious because this is an area of Linux I'm not versed in at all. Here's the things I've tried:

OpenLDAP with Debian server/clients. Worked fine, set up some users and then NFS. Put NFS share in client fstab and the users basically get roaming profiles when you map a home directory. Client setup was a breeze. Then I discover NFS basically has zero security, you can root a machine and change your UID and get access to anything. No go.

FreeIPA with Fedora server/clients. Works fine for authentication, easiest setup on client/server. Could not get NFS to run kerberized following any guide whatsoever. I'd get as far as everything working and wouldn't be able to remove auth=sys from the NFS export, so it wasn't any better than OpenLDAP. Disappointed that there is no ipa-client for Debian distros either.

Samba, Debian server/Deb+Win7 clients. Successfully added a Win 7 machine to the domain, user home directories map to H:. Working on getting a Debian workstation on the domain, but I'm finding it's actually more complex to do a client than setting up the goddamn server was.

Anyway, am I missing anything? Am I in over my head or is every directory solution on Linux really this obtuse, complex, and decentralized? The sanest Linux solution for this seems to be just mounting poo poo with sshfs or smb piecemeal. The whole experiment has really made me appreciate that I administer Active Directory for my living. Anything else out there that I should try?

Not sure how its implemented, but I know in my work environment root does not actually have access to the contents of an NFS share, and I am unable to remount certain NFS filesystems as root, and this is using an LDAP implementation, so I think you may be missing something there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

root_squash means your client's root will map to nobody on the nfs server but you can change your uid and access other people's files, yes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

root_squash means your client's root will map to nobody on the nfs server but you can change your uid and access other people's files, yes.

This really works in an LDAP environment? I have never tried, outside of su(which I assume is the main flaw in all N*X security, become root and you are EVERYONE) but that seems awful easy, even without gaining root.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

This really works in an LDAP environment? I have never tried, outside of su(which I assume is the main flaw in all N*X security, become root and you are EVERYONE) but that seems awful easy, even without gaining root.
NFS was designed in a time where NFS shares were accessed by restricted, professionally-administered computer labs, not personal computers owned by someone with administrative access. Like most protocols, security was an afterthought.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Misogynist posted:

NFS was designed in a time where NFS shares were accessed by restricted, professionally-administered computer labs, not personal computers owned by someone with administrative access. Like most protocols, security was an afterthought.

NFSv4 supports NT-style ACLs enforced server-side if you use Kerberos authentication.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/s3-nfs-security-hosts-nfsv4.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

NFSv4 was not designed in a time where NFS shares were accessed by restricted, professionally-administered computer labs, not personal computers owned by someone with administrative access. Like most protocols, security was an afterthought.

:shobon:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Things i don't miss: running AFS cells. Or writing client code for AFS.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I was having problems with NetworkManager so I switched to wicd. But I still get disconnected every so often and I don't know why (because I'm generally clueless). Sorry for posting long logs but here is what it looks like when I connect:

code:
3473 2014/09/01 01:14:58 :: Autoconnecting...
3474 2014/09/01 01:14:58 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
3475 2014/09/01 01:15:01 :: trying to automatically connect to...RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
3476 2014/09/01 01:15:01 :: Connecting to wireless network RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
3477 2014/09/01 01:15:01 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3478 2014/09/01 01:15:01 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3479 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3480 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3481 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Putting interface down
3482 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Releasing DHCP leases...
3483 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3484 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3485 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Setting false IP...
3486 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Stopping wpa_supplicant
3487 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Flushing the routing table...
3488 2014/09/01 01:15:02 :: Putting interface up...
3489 2014/09/01 01:15:04 :: Generating psk...
3490 2014/09/01 01:15:04 :: Attempting to authenticate...
3491 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Running DHCP with hostname laptop
3492 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3493 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3494 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.4
3495 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Copyright 2004-2012 Internet Systems Consortium.
3496 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: All rights reserved.
3497 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: For info, please visit [url]https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/[/url]
3499 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Listening on LPF/wlan0/e8:2a:ea:d4:77:1d
3500 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Sending on   LPF/wlan0/e8:2a:ea:d4:77:1d
3501 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: Sending on   Socket/fallback
3502 2014/09/01 01:15:05 :: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0x5bda8712)
3503 2014/09/01 01:15:07 :: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.1.106 on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 (xid=0x5bda8712)
3504 2014/09/01 01:15:07 :: DHCPOFFER of 192.168.1.106 from 192.168.1.254
3505 2014/09/01 01:15:08 :: DHCPACK of 192.168.1.106 from 192.168.1.254
3506 2014/09/01 01:15:08 :: bound to 192.168.1.106 -- renewal in 42820 seconds.
3507 2014/09/01 01:15:08 :: DHCP connection successful
3508 2014/09/01 01:15:08 :: not verifying
3509 2014/09/01 01:15:08 :: Connecting thread exiting.
3510 2014/09/01 01:15:09 :: Sending connection attempt result success
After this the wifi works for a few minutes and then I get the same thing every time:

code:
3553 2014/09/01 01:18:31 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3554 2014/09/01 01:18:31 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3555 2014/09/01 01:18:31 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3556 2014/09/01 01:18:31 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3557 2014/09/01 01:18:32 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3558 2014/09/01 01:18:32 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3559 2014/09/01 01:18:32 :: attempting to set hostname with dhclient
3560 2014/09/01 01:18:32 :: using dhcpcd or another supported client may work better
3561 2014/09/01 01:18:35 :: Autoconnecting...
[start connection process identical to above]
Should I install dhcpd? The arch wiki says you shouldn't have dhcpd running alongside wicd (I'm using ubuntu not arch).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
This doesn't give any indication at all of anything to do with wireless, other than that you connected and wicd's dhclient.conf is probably broken on Ubuntu. But not setting the hostname shouldn't kill your wifi.

What happens when it disconnects? Does it reconnect? Does it not? Does it show connected but wifi just doesn't work?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for responding. It reconnects and works fine. It disconnects and reconnects every few minutes (sometimes within a minute, sometimes after 30).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fuf posted:

Thanks for responding. It reconnects and works fine. It disconnects and reconnects every few minutes (sometimes within a minute, sometimes after 30).

There's no good way to tell from the logs you posted, since it doesn't show a disconnect (or reason for disconnect). Is that the wicd log? What problems were you having with NM?

What's your wireless chipset? Signal strength? lspci -kv? iwlist ${nic} scan? (you can cut the last down to just your SSID)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that's the wicd log.

NM would also disconnect, but when it tried to reconnect it would get stuck on "authenticating" and eventually give up. I would have to turn wifi off and on again.

lspci -kv:

code:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 83)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 60
        Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number e8-2a-ea-ff-ff-d4-77-1d
        Capabilities: [14c] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Capabilities: [154] Vendor Specific Information: ID=cafe Rev=1 Len=014 <?>
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
iwlist ${nic} scan:

code:
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:62:2C:5C:92:D8
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=70/70  Signal level=-34 dBm  
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman"
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                    Bit Rates:24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Mode:Master
                    Extra:tsf=00000015cf9ecee7
                    Extra: Last beacon: 276108ms ago
                    IE: Unknown: 001A524950205068696C6970205365796D6F757220486F66666D616E
                    IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C121824
                    IE: Unknown: 030106
                    IE: Unknown: 0706474220010D14
                    IE: Unknown: 2A0100
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    IE: Unknown: 32043048606C
                    IE: Unknown: 2D1AAC011BFFFF000000000000000000008000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 3D1606000500000000000000000000000000000000000000
                    IE: Unknown: 4A0E14000A002C01C800140005001900
                    IE: Unknown: 7F080100000000000040
                    IE: Unknown: DD180050F2020101800003A4000027A4000042435E0062322F00
                    IE: Unknown: DD0900037F01010000FF7F
                    IE: Unknown: DD8E0050F204104A000110104400010210570001001041000100103B000103104700102CF
9CE9BFB73580198834AADE20855A410210002425410230005487562203510240009$
25420487562203541104200122B3036383334332B4E5133343635353930341054000
800060050F204000110110010425420486F6D652048756220352E3041100800020084103C000101
I have the same issue on other wifi networks.

fuf fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 1, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You may want to read through this and try the suggestions.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I created an EC2 image using Packer, based off of the most recent available paravirtual AMI for Ubuntu 12.04.5. At boot, it hangs waiting for network to become available. If I attach the EBS volume to another system so I can view /var/log/syslog, I see ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready, and I never see any subsequent messages about eth0. Any idea what might be up?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Any idea what might be up?

Not eth0 thats for sure :hurr:

But its probably udev persistent network device naming. i.e. the network device gets eth1 and it keeps waiting on an eth0 that doesn't exist. Scrub (empty) the file /etc/udev.rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (from memory, might be a bit different) and try again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fuf posted:

Should I install dhcpd? The arch wiki says you shouldn't have dhcpd running alongside wicd (I'm using ubuntu not arch).
small note: dhcpd is not the same as dhcpcd.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

I created an EC2 image using Packer, based off of the most recent available paravirtual AMI for Ubuntu 12.04.5. At boot, it hangs waiting for network to become available. If I attach the EBS volume to another system so I can view /var/log/syslog, I see ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready, and I never see any subsequent messages about eth0. Any idea what might be up?

Serial output for the console may help grab dmesg, at least.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I almost feel bad asking this question but I really am out of my depth. I have a little Linux server running on an ARM CPU that runs TTRSS with a MySQL server with innodb. Roughly once a week, the MySQL server losses it's mind, declares a page corrupted and then proceeds to restart about once every few minutes to hours, successfully coming back up each time but then hitting the same bad page eventually. Rebooting the machine fixes absolutely everything until it reoccurs (with a different page this time). Using innochecksum doesn't find any problems with the database after a reboot. There aren't any filesystem problems that I can see either (I usually do a sudo touch /forcefsck before rebooting). I don't know what it's issue is. The storage for this machine is an SDcard which I assume MySQL doesn't care for.

Here is a snippet from my MySQL error log:
code:
InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 17819.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
140902 13:34:14  InnoDB: Page dump in ascii and hex (16384 bytes):                                                                                    
InnoDB: End of page dump
140902 13:34:15  InnoDB: Page checksum 1324349533, prior-to-4.0.14-form checksum 4044056326
InnoDB: stored checksum 1238429946, prior-to-4.0.14-form stored checksum 4044056326
InnoDB: Page lsn 3 1177753966, low 4 bytes of lsn at page end 1177753966
InnoDB: Page number (if stored to page already) 17819,
InnoDB: space id (if created with >= MySQL-4.1.1 and stored already) 0
InnoDB: Page may be a BLOB page
InnoDB: Database page corruption on disk or a failed
InnoDB: file read of page 17819.
InnoDB: You may have to recover from a backup.
InnoDB: It is also possible that your operating
InnoDB: system has corrupted its own file cache
InnoDB: and rebooting your computer removes the
InnoDB: error.
The last statement there "It is also possible that your operating system has corrupted its own file cache and rebooting your computer removes the error", could that be what's happening? If so what would be a potential solution?

edit: Mysql version is 5.5.38-0ubuntu0.14.04.1, the database was created originally with a slightly different version I think.

edit2: Is my reading that this is mostly likely caused by a hardware error (faulty memory etc) correct?

Naffer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
What's the most ideal Linux rescue disk and HDD data recovery? Currently I have SystemRescueCd installed on a USB and I'm considering whether or not I should change it.

Titor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 3, 2014