Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

netcat posted:

Killing the pirate king in his house is fun since he still spawns when you try to steal his boat. Or that might just be in BG2:EE, I can't remember what happened in vanilla.
To be fair, one of his henchmen might have dragged his corpse to the local cleric while you were off getting your soul extracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

netcat posted:

Killing the pirate king in his house is fun since he still spawns when you try to steal his boat. Or that might just be in BG2:EE, I can't remember what happened in vanilla.

Also he doesn't turn hostile when you try to steal his boat, but you can still kill him. This prevents the cutscene of you stealing the boat from happening, though, which can be pretty frustrating if you don't realize why it's happening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MorgaineDax posted:

Also that isn't near the rapiest thing in this mod, at least playing as a female. How else was my character supposed to get to the Pirate King to send me to Spellhold? :gonk:

Introduce him to Minsc, of course. It's nice to see a fantasy RPG acknowledge every once in a while that the protagonists are a bunch of lunatics.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm nearing the end of BG1.In the last chapter, when you find Duke Eltan and bring him to the Harbormaster, you're are supposed to get an invitation. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere in my inventory. Does it show up as an actual item, or did something get screwed up?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Oh, and another :stare: for when I looked up the list of encounters. No Irenicus, but Bodhi? Sendai? A cambion? Cyric? What?

The Seldarine took my sex-drive, too. I look upon you and feel nothing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I'm nearing the end of BG1.In the last chapter, when you find Duke Eltan and bring him to the Harbormaster, you're are supposed to get an invitation. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere in my inventory. Does it show up as an actual item, or did something get screwed up?

Did you meet Tamoko? She hints as to where you should go (the top floor of the Iron Throne building). If you've done that and didn't catch the next leg in the quest, you need to go to the Undercellars, accessed through the Blushing Mermaid in NE Baldurs Gate.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fong posted:

Did you meet Tamoko? She hints as to where you should go (the top floor of the Iron Throne building). If you've done that and didn't catch the next leg in the quest, you need to go to the Undercellars, accessed through the Blushing Mermaid in NE Baldurs Gate.

I actually did things out of order. I beat Cythandria in the Iron Throne buiding and got Saverok's diary before I spoke to Tamoko. I've found the Undercellars, but I got there by going through the sewers underneath the Docks.

I took a look at a different walkthrough, and it turns out that you get the invitation from the assassins in the Undercellars.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well it doesn't matter where you access them from really, you just need to kill the two baddies there and loot them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I've made it up to the battle with Sarevok, and I've run into another problem. Once the fight starts, someone sends out a spell that instantly kills whoever is near. I even tried using a Potion of Invulnerability, and I still died. Do I have to reload from the start of the maze, and go get another Protection from Magic scroll, or is there another way around this?

EDIT: This fight is near impossible. The best I was able to do was lure out Tazok and Angelo, but after I beat both of them, my character and Minsc had lost a lot of health. I don't know what spell Semaj casts (I think it's Tattoo of Power), but in one of my attempts, it killed my entire party. I had Dynaheir summon monsters to try and take the spell so all my party members survive, but it never seemed to work.

Regardless, I was able to draw Saverok out without Semaj following, but I just can't seem to beat him. Even after using Draw Upon Holy Might to drop my THAC0 to 8 and my AC to -6, he can still hit me more than I can hit him. I have the rest of my party (Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Imoen) attack with +1 arrows/+1 bullets, cast spells, and use wands, but it doesn't damage him fast enough.

I'm at the point where I'm considering cranking down the difficulty, or failing that, using cheats.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 30, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are a few things you can do to make the fight much easier. Probably the main thing that makes the fight so much more manageable is to buy some arrows of dispelling from Sorcerous Sundries and use them to strip the haste and buffs from all of them (stick a decent bow user with arrows of dispelling on the mage guy and he'll probably not be able to get any spells off). You can use summons to absorb the death spell and dispel the mage casts at the start of the fight. Make sure you buff (particularly with haste). If you're really struggling you can pull each guy separately or use summons to pull Sarevok off to the side so he doesn't come after you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have never legitimately completed Baldur's Gate but I hold it in the highest esteem and it affected my development into the autistic neutral good man I proudly am today.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

More blog and this time I take a look at the Dungeons and Dragons movie as well as Baldur's Gate. http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/baldurs-gate-shadow-of-whatever-boing

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Woffle posted:

More blog and this time I take a look at the Dungeons and Dragons movie as well as Baldur's Gate. http://duckfeed.tv/infinityengineers/baldurs-gate-shadow-of-whatever-boing

god that was such an awful movie

Really enjoying these btw!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tee hee, I never knew what happened if you got enough money to trigger the "Choose between the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi" thing, but then spent enough to not be able to afford them.

Bodhi: I had planned to invite you here to make a counter offer, but you need to control your spending.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I finally managed to beat Sarevok. I had to drop the difficulty down from Normal to Easy to do so, but the loading screen messages advise you to adjust the difficulty if you're having trouble with a fight, so technically it's not cheating.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've now started BG2. What I want to ask is if the fights/encounters in BG2 are easier or harder than in BG1 (keep in mind that I've been playing BG1 via the Trilogy mod). On top of that, who should I have in my party?

Also, as entertaining side note, BGT messed up the music in BG1 (I don't think it's a problem with the mod; probably something I did wrong during the installation), so not only did the tavern music play in temples, it also played constantly in the Undercity & in the Temple of Bhaal.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 30, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I finally managed to beat Sarevok. I had to drop the difficulty down from Normal to Easy to do so, but the loading screen messages advise you to adjust the difficulty if you're having trouble with a fight, so technically it's not cheating.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've now started BG2. What I want to ask is if the fights/encounters in BG2 are easier or harder than in BG1 (keep in mind that I've been playing BG1 via the Trilogy mod). On top of that, who should I have in my party?

Easier if you're remotely good with mages, harder to impossible if you don't. Learn to love spell protections and stripping spell protections basically.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: This fight is near impossible. The best I was able to do was lure out Tazok and Angelo, but after I beat both of them, my character and Minsc had lost a lot of health. I don't know what spell Semaj casts (I think it's Tattoo of Power), but in one of my attempts, it killed my entire party. I had Dynaheir summon monsters to try and take the spell so all my party members survive, but it never seemed to work.

I hate Semaj. His name is James, he's not in the rest of the game at all and he's plainly there to add a decent caster to a fight which they probably thought was too easy. While I can see why he needs to be there I'd much rather have anyone else.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got patched. So now that's out, Beamdog are focusing on Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition bugs.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got patched. So now that's out, Beamdog are focusing on Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition bugs.

Wow, I can't say I expected that would happen after this (relatively) much time. Cool!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

The Iron Rose posted:

Learn to love spell protections and stripping spell protections basically.
People always say this and it's always rubbish. My fighters hit things very hard, my clerics healbot and ward a couple of dangerous effects, and my mages blast things. Enemy protections and buffs run out and/or are vulnerable to the proper weapons. If you want to overcomplicate it, you can, but there's absolutely no need to.

E: Woffle, miniature giant space hamsters are also a dumb Spelljammer joke. As are about fifty other varieties. They never really bothered to put the brakes on with that MM entry.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 30, 2014

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They are also making some kind of announcement today at PAX. I'd guess either BG expansion, or IWDEE, or maybe both.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sleep of Bronze posted:

People always say this and it's always rubbish. My fighters hit things very hard, my clerics healbot and ward a couple of dangerous effects, and my mages blast things. Enemy protections and buffs run out and/or are vulnerable to the proper weapons. If you want to overcomplicate it, you can, but there's absolutely no need to.

Breach is about the only protection-stripping you'd ever need, and even that's only if your fighters don't have weapons that can deal damage (and hence interrupt spellcasting) through Stoneskin.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zilkin posted:

They are also making some kind of announcement today at PAX. I'd guess either BG expansion, or IWDEE, or maybe both.

I think it's an expansion. Wasn't there talk of them wanting to make an interquel connecting BG 1 and 2 more directly?

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition would be cool too though and it'd be a nice way for Obsidian to get some free money since they own the IP and don't have to do too much work besides provide some of the original documentation and coding and all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

Breach is about the only protection-stripping you'd ever need, and even that's only if your fighters don't have weapons that can deal damage (and hence interrupt spellcasting) through Stoneskin.

It gets a little more important with the more annoying sequencers in ToB and once you get in the habit in ToB in just gets to be automatic in SoA replays to save a turn or two in a wizard fight.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Now that the BG1EE patch has finally landed I'm going to roll my first character. I played through the tutorial and quickly got tired of the tooltip sound effect. Luckily that can be removed by putting an empty wave-file called paper.wav in the Override directory.

Are there any other good quality of life tips (or mods)?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

natlampe posted:

Now that the BG1EE patch has finally landed I'm going to roll my first character.

I'm surprised and must have missed something... I remember a BG1EE patch months ago that fixed some fairly minor issues, but after that the game seemed quite "done" and in no further need of patching. I was waiting for them to fix all of those annoying bugs in 2 so I could import my dude from 1 and finish the saga, but it looks like I'll have to wait X more months for that.

Can someone link the patch notes? I'm not trolling or whining; I'm genuinely curious as to what they fixed in 1 as I thought that it was basically perfect.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

quote:

Crash Fixes
- Game no longer freezes when canceling an imported priest character
- Double-clicking a stack on ground slots no longer crashes the game
- Custom portraits larger than 1024x1024 no longer crash the game; instead, a message appears informing the - user that the image is too big
- (Android) Returning to the game from sleep mode should no longer cause the game to close

Critical Fixes
- Aldeth's quest no longer gets stuck in cutscene mode during multiplayer
- The tutorial now grants the player a weapon they can actually use (Exception: Clerics with Strength 3 cannot use any weapons)
- Systems with out of date graphics drivers should no longer see graphical distortions in the game's UI
(Android) Game no longer drains the battery when not in use
- Auto-Pause will no longer stop a random encounter area from appearing; instead, the area will appear before the pause takes effect

Features and Gameplay Enhancements
- Added "Font Size" to Graphics Options (changing this during play will empty the combat log)
- Quickloot feature from BGII:EE has been implemented
- While viewing a mage's Spellbook screen, players can now switch to a priest character and the game will immediately switch to the Priest Spells screen (and vice versa)
- Spell scrolls that can be written into a spellbook for the current character now display a green-tinted overlay
- Non-friendly NPCs that are Blinded will no longer stand still; they will wander aimlessly until they are close enough to see someone worth attacking
- Phandalyn is now a Lawful Good Paladin
- Drizzt is now properly equipped with his scimitars, and has been recolored to match his description in the books
- All golems in the game now possess appropriate immunities to Poison, Charm, Hold, Fear, Sleep, and Backstab
- All crossbows now require the same strength as their non-magical counterparts
- Rogdok now grants 400 experience points when defeated
- Rasaad's bracers and boots are now only usable by Rasaad
- Neera's staff is now only usable by Neera

Modder Features

- Items can now be flagged as unusable by Half-Orcs
- Profsmax.2da "FIRST_LEVEL" value can now be set higher than 2 to let characters place more pips in a proficiency type at level 1
- Clswpbon.2da "GETS_PROF_APR" value can now be set to 1 to allow non-warrior classes and kits to benefit from APR bonuses
- Neutral Evil, Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Neutral no longer prevent usability by True Neutral characters
- Portrait.2da is now alphabetized for easier reference, and the "M" values for each portrait have been populated; Dorn's alternate portrait has been updated to use the Half-Orc portrait from BGII:EE

And some other miscellaneous stuff listed at the bottom here.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm surprised and must have missed something... I remember a BG1EE patch months ago that fixed some fairly minor issues
I don't believe BG1EE was that buggy, but I was specifically waiting for the font size option and that was patched yesterday with v1.3.2053. The typography still isn't great, but now at least I can read what's being said.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It's not possible to steal equipped items, right? So I guess you now need to kill Drizzt to get his scimitars?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

The Iron Rose posted:

Easier if you're remotely good with mages, harder to impossible if you don't. Learn to love spell protections and stripping spell protections basically.
BG2 has no need for mages if you have an Inquisitor. I finished the game with a party that had no mages and simply relied on Keldorn equipped with Carsomyr to take care of spellcasters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

BG2 has no need for mages if you have an Inquisitor. I finished the game with a party that had no mages and simply relied on Keldorn equipped with Carsomyr to take care of spellcasters.

You can beat the game with a single fighter if you want, but that doesn't mean it's not inefficient.

I mean the game's easy enough even on insane you don't need to worry about it overmuch but I'd really recommend bringing a mage to strip protections.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Iron Rose posted:

You can beat the game with a single fighter if you want, but that doesn't mean it's not inefficient.

Inquisitors are the most efficient dispelling machines in the game, I'd say

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Did anyone find out what the Beamdog announcement at PAX was? A quick google search turned up nada.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean the game's easy enough even on insane you don't need to worry about it overmuch but I'd really recommend bringing a mage to strip protections.
It's just that I had trouble throughout BG1, and I was playing on Normal difficulty. Everything I've heard about BG2 has given me the impression that it's a lot harder.

I imagine that mages are a little easier to deal with in BG2 if you know all the spells that deal with using and breaking magic protection. What worries me more are all the various monsters, like beholders, dragons, and liches. Mind flayers sound like they're the worst, since they can take out party members by draining their intelligence.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Beholders become a joke if you use the shield of balduran. I have no idea how you kill dragons without a mage though. You'd have to like wait out that their protection wears off or something.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I've never played BG1 so the changelog is absolutely hilarious to me because I can imagine that everything is caused by Beamdog's incompetence

quote:

- Montaron no longer leaves the party when force-talked at Reputation 12
- There is no longer a strange woman's scream in Cloakwood Mine
- Luck spell no longer erases the target's weapon proficiencies

How does any of this happen

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Callick posted:

Did anyone find out what the Beamdog announcement at PAX was? A quick google search turned up nada.

yeah
http://www.icewinddale.com

they're gonna gently caress this up

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I've never played BG1 so the changelog is absolutely hilarious to me because I can imagine that everything is caused by Beamdog's incompetence

How does any of this happen

Those all look like Beamdog's incompetence to me.

Wait, lol. "A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens"

It's Icewind Dale. It's a loving dungeon crawler, what the poo poo are you doing buying the game if you don't want fighting?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Trent Oster is the Guy Fieri of video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

IWDEE was probably the cheapest option for the Beamdog devs going forward but they know that IWD as a property has significantly limited appeal outside the nostalgia cult (relative to BG, anyway, which has a rep for being story-driven), and aside from the still-gorgeous environs there's actually not a whole lot to recommend IWD over more recent dungeon crawlers. So they're working to make the game actually appealing to people who own tablets. And why shouldn't they? I absolutely would not recommend a 2E dungeon crawler to anyone who hasn't already played it. Get a Spiderweb game instead.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2014