Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

homeless poster posted:

What's the SM that most people are PVP-ing / Co-oping at? I'm around 14M on my main dude and I don't see any summon signs anywhere (even in the new DLC) and it's far and few between that I get a hit with a cracked red eye. Even the OIK bridge is just empty right now.

I'm at about 4.5SM in NG+ and I'm getting this too. I only get summoned like... once every two hours with my sign down by the FK bonfire or in the memory waiting room, and I haven't seen a player summon sign at all. I'm hoping my SM is just too low to be with the main body of players.

But OIK bridge being empty worries me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pretty lovely design decision to lock one of this DLC's bosses behind a late game key. Maybe I don't want to trek through Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie in NG+4, FROM. Maybe I can't...........

Screw it, I'm making a new character.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

homeless poster posted:

What's the SM that most people are PVP-ing / Co-oping at? I'm around 14M on my main dude and I don't see any summon signs anywhere (even in the new DLC) and it's far and few between that I get a hit with a cracked red eye. Even the OIK bridge is just empty right now.
I'm around 11M ng+ and get summoned at Fume knight in under 4 seconds. Do you have a name ring active or burned an effigy or something?

Although yesterday i've seen summons and other stuff being super wonky, i just assumed that was a global FROM server issue (though i don't know how their matchmaking infrastructure works exactly).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I'm wondering if the NG count effects whether or not the game will match you with other people in addition to SM? I'm on the cusp of NG+3 but I'm waiting for the final DLC to come out before I decide if I want to take another lap through the game. Is the matching just straight SM or does your NG+ level factor in as well? I always thought it was just based on SM total but even with the new tiers, a red eye orb should let me invade 3 tiers up, and I think from 14M that puts me all the way to the endgame tier of 999M SM. Is everyone just hacking their SM down to unobtainable levels to PVP?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

enojy posted:

Pretty lovely design decision to lock one of this DLC's bosses behind a late game key. Maybe I don't want to trek through Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie in NG+4, FROM. Maybe I can't...........

Seriously, if you're alert then you'll be able to handle most of the DLC as soon as you reach it. Just warp back when you have the ashen heart for its optional boss.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

homeless poster posted:

I'm wondering if the NG count effects whether or not the game will match you with other people in addition to SM? I'm on the cusp of NG+3 but I'm waiting for the final DLC to come out before I decide if I want to take another lap through the game. Is the matching just straight SM or does your NG+ level factor in as well? I always thought it was just based on SM total but even with the new tiers, a red eye orb should let me invade 3 tiers up, and I think from 14M that puts me all the way to the endgame tier of 999M SM. Is everyone just hacking their SM down to unobtainable levels to PVP?

It's split into NG and NG+ summoning pools, and SM is the only factor after that. Whether you are on NG+2 or NG+4 is unimportant, you're still in the NG+ pool.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

enojy posted:

That's what I did. Playing the vanilla on NG+3 is okay but the DLC is terrible because most of the time you need to juggle multiple enemies that you'd otherwise thin out fast.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

I didn't see anything special about Maldron, I was really disappointed actually. Just some stabby dude who kept running away to lure you into the cursed tower, otherwise it was a normal dumbass AI phantom.

Jester Thomas, however..

Last time I fought Jester Thomas he just stared at me and rolled away. Really great phantom, there.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I'm wondering about the mechanics of item find. Namely: do the jester/merchant hat, the prisoner's tatters, and the gold serpent ring all stack if you wear them all at once?

I've also idly pondered whether reinforcing the hat(s) or tatters will boost the item find effect, although I would guess that's not the case.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Yeah, what's so bad about Jester Thomas anyway? He's neither particularly aggressive nor very good at defending himself. Sure, he's got some nasty AoEs in a small arena, but given how crap he is at casting anything without leaving himself open to being stunned out of it, it's not much of an issue.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm wondering about the mechanics of item find. Namely: do the jester/merchant hat, the prisoner's tatters, and the gold serpent ring all stack if you wear them all at once?

I've also idly pondered whether reinforcing the hat(s) or tatters will boost the item find effect, although I would guess that's not the case.

Yes, stacking works.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpruceZeus posted:

You can stack all item find bonuses. Item find bonuses are set effects applied to each piece so upgrading them doesn't boost it*. All of the armor pieces have the same bonus, so Jester Hat is just as good as Prisoner's Hood.

*Just gonna make a side note about how disappointing this is. Not for item find but in general. In Demon's, a weapon's upgrade level actually affected its effects; HP regen, MP regen, bleed damage, poison damage, the magic boosting power of the Kris Knife, etc. And that hasn't been true for Dark Souls or Dark Souls II.

Cathair posted:

Yeah, what's so bad about Jester Thomas anyway? He's neither particularly aggressive nor very good at defending himself. Sure, he's got some nasty AoEs in a small arena, but given how crap he is at casting anything without leaving himself open to being stunned out of it, it's not much of an issue.

Depends on your setup, really. Some weapons, such as straight swords, are really good at keeping him stunlocked. But slower weapons he tends to dodge very easily, and then nail you with a Great Combustion or fireball or something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm around 11M ng+ and get summoned at Fume knight in under 4 seconds. Do you have a name ring active or burned an effigy or something?

Although yesterday i've seen summons and other stuff being super wonky, i just assumed that was a global FROM server issue (though i don't know how their matchmaking infrastructure works exactly).

What's the deal with the name rings? Should I be using one if I want to get summoned more often?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Finally finished the DLC and I still maintain that Smelter Demon 2.0 is the worst boss :colbert:

This is very true, at least in the last DLC when they did Notshandra she was a different type of boss, A way better boss then Shandra in my opins. this one was just blue and had one extra AoE in the beginning. I was really hoping for another player based boss like the Gank Squad and got a recolored boring boss.

In other news my "Magic and Faith is for sissies" run has been a resounding success, I love my twinblades, especially the Red Rust, absolutely crush invaders and PvE alike. Still use pyromancy since I can't be %100 non sissy, new spells are pretty fun, still trying to get used to dance of flames arc though.

Cathair posted:

The only thing that wrecks my poo poo and makes Jester Thomas such a hard fight for me is that he is constantly interrupting his own casts to dodge or poo poo, gets me every time. I usually path him out to the water where I feel more comfortable killing his stupid smug face.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

What's the deal with the name rings? Should I be using one if I want to get summoned more often?

No. It only allows you to be summoned by people who chose the same god. It also allows you to reach across more SM tiers, so it's good for summoning a specific person, but for random people it's bad.

Cainer posted:

This is very true, at least in the last DLC when they did Notshandra she was a different type of boss, A way better boss then Shandra in my opins. this one was just blue and had one extra AoE in the beginning. I was really hoping for another player based boss like the Gank Squad and got a recolored boss.

I liked blue smelter, but this is true. Unlike Elana who is a unique boss, he is literally just smelter with a few minor differences. I wish he had been somewhere in the DLC, maybe in the middle of the cave, as just a regular big enemy, like the second/third Pursuer fights, and then there was an actually new boss for the boss. Oh well, missed opportunity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It would also have been better had the run up to him not been so obnoxious. The Iron Passage isn't particularly fun to go through. This is also a problem with Alonne, especially if you're trying to kill him without healing for the alternate death animation.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Jester Thomas can be really easy if you immediately run to the water and get that buff. His pyros do way less damage.

Do not cast profound still on him, he pulls out a sword and spams crits on you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cainer posted:

This is very true, at least in the last DLC when they did Notshandra she was a different type of boss, A way better boss then Shandra in my opins. this one was just blue and had one extra AoE in the beginning. I was really hoping for another player based boss like the Gank Squad and got a recolored boring boss.

Blue guy isn't great, but I don't think he's particularly worse than the gank squad. That was also zero design effort and, for a single player, an extremely monotonous and silly fight. It's not like fighting three players, it's like fighting three NPC phantoms, which are often some of the worst and most irritating fights in the Souls games because usually they have lovely AI and compensate by cheating like hell (tons of HP, apparently infinite stamina, etc).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jester Thomas is fun because his dodging is just crazy good, sure he does dumb things like any AI but it felt like a unique fight.

The BP in brume tower is just like any other BP in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Blue guy isn't great, but I don't think he's particularly worse than the gank squad. That was also zero design effort and, for a single player, an extremely monotonous and silly fight. It's not like fighting three players, it's like fighting three NPC phantoms, which are often some of the worst and most irritating fights in the Souls games because usually they have lovely AI and compensate by cheating like hell (tons of HP, apparently infinite stamina, etc).

Gank squad was fantastic. It was very much a PVE version of a gank squad. Only thing lacking was a spell spammer.

Also just wanna say how I hate how if I invade a guy who's at the FK bonfire, I can only spawn at the top of the series of crumbling floors part, meaning they almost always make it through the boss fog before I can possibly get to them.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yes I really do dislike the "player Phantoms" with there stupidly high hp and stamina but at least as a boss fight it was something different, not just a recolor. I can only think that the team ran out of time or something cause after making it through that stupid fire frog stuff, jerk archers and casters I was greeted not with something new or unique but instead a boss fight I had already done before with a new coat of paint.

Gank squad gave me so much trouble on my solo run but when I did it with friends afterwards it was a blast turning them into paste.

Edit: vvvv Well to each there own and all that. Another thing, where the hell is my second piece of the flower set! I want to be a pretty princess and that father mask isn't gonna help!

Edit2: Also I thought there was another new sword that was one handed and looked like the Moonlight Greatsword, have I just missed it or is it not in this DLC?

Cainer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 30, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I thought it was a nice touch. The boss is a huge roadblock for tons of people, so having him reappear again is just like having Thomas invade you.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Azran posted:

I thought it was a nice touch. The boss is a huge roadblock for tons of people, so having him reappear again is just like having Thomas invade you.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

The trick he pulls by delaying his attacks randomly too are also a really great 'gently caress you' to people who thought they had him figured out.

Overall this DLC really seems to go out of it's way to address complaints about DS2's enemies/bosses, I think.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, my host survival rate has really increased since I remembered that Tokens of Fidelity heal the host.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

Man, my host survival rate has really increased since I remembered that Tokens of Fidelity heal the host.

You may be the only person in the world to use these for that purpose.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Does anybody know what Nadalia is saying from those ashen dolls before you spike them? The only thing I can make out is "I am deceitful", but the rest is too hard for me to understand with other sound effects going on in the background.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear she mentions something about a mirror as well?

Also, man, thanks for the suggestion earlier guys but I really dislike the estoc. Going for a strength build doesn't feel at all right when I'm wearing light armour! Also...would it be worth infusing the rapier with poison or anything? It seems as if it'll bring the regular damage down to Ricard's level - minus the fancy R2 attack - but I have no clue if the poison damage will be enough to compensate in fights, even though it looks huge on paper.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Fereydun posted:

The trick he pulls by delaying his attacks randomly too are also a really great 'gently caress you' to people who thought they had him figured out.

Supremely dickish move. I struggle with Smelter Demon every time, so a buffed up version with randomly delayed attacks was a nightmare for me.

Cyberventurer posted:

Does anybody know what Nadalia is saying from those ashen dolls before you spike them? The only thing I can make out is "I am deceitful", but the rest is too hard for me to understand with other sound effects going on in the background.

I kept hearing "Take him to the air! WHAT?!" :v:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You may be the only person in the world to use these for that purpose.

What else can you use them for?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
e: double post

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

What else can you use them for?

Do you still need to pay to fight other blues with those? Or did they finally remove that loving dumb idea?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think I had an easier time with Smelter because I had the sound off, so I was just reacting to the swings.

Also helps I never had the Smelter in muscle memory because I usually use that as a Lucatiel fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Do you still need to pay to fight other blues with those? Or did they finally remove that loving dumb idea?

Pretty sure you still need the tokens of fidelity/spite for that stuff. Though the token of fidelity is used up and the token of spite isn't (I think, I don't really do that stuff). You also need one to join the Blue Sentinels.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You definitely still need to pay for bluecop duels, while bloodbro duels only require that you have a token of spite; I guess this is balanced out by the fact that you lose bloodbro rep for losing duels while I don't think that's true of bluecops.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just ran into Raphael and Leonardo at the old iron king. They were turtles.

Like, they had on the turtle armor and their skin was green. Please tell me it was one of you people because I was laughing too hard and rolled myself into the lava before I could get a picture.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just ran into Raphael and Leonardo at the old iron king. They were turtles.

Like, they had on the turtle armor and their skin was green. Please tell me it was one of you people because I was laughing too hard and rolled myself into the lava before I could get a picture.

You missed on Donatello but yeah I've seen that group too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
What are some good heavy-but-not-Havels-weight armour sets, from eyeballing some numbers I've identified Velstadt's set and the Steel set as good candidates. Any others I should look at?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just died because a sorcerer's lightning orb kept bouncing me between a spike wall and the orb itself. Neglecting poise was a good idea. :downs:

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Soloing the Fume knight with the Zwei was fun as poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Vengarl's set is on the heavy side without being havel's, and it's got a good defense/weight ratio.