Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

If we're talking relevance, shouldn't Micaiah have been in Brawl? :smuggo:

Ike was still pretty much the main character of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

No because Ike still outshone her even in her own game

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CeallaSo posted:

In addition to the above, no one likes Micaiah. That's kind of a big deal when it comes to Smash.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Ah yes let me wear this literal breastplate that covers about 20% of my vital organs

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
That's why Roy never came back. He turned out to be lame in his own FE title and now only people who never played his game want him back in Smash.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Marth is the face of the franchise, so it's not like he could be unpopular. But that's also really the only reason he is popular - I'd imagine people voting for him in polls only do so because he represents the entire franchise, not because of his (lack of) personality. The only people who care about Roy are the ones who have never played his game though.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 30, 2014

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Oh yeah, I don't think anyone honestly bemoaned the inclusion of Ike over Micaiah; she was an awful character, and her segments of the game were easily the worst. Sarcasm on the internet is hard, you guys.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Terper posted:

Marth is the face of the franchise, so it's not like he could be unpopular. But that's also really the only reason he is popular - I'd imagine people voting for him in polls only do so because he represents the entire franchise, not because of his (lack of) personality. The only people who care about Roy are the ones who have never played his game though.

He also has a cool playstyle which is, y'know, a thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

He also has a cool playstyle which is, y'know, a thing.

Oh, I was talking entirely in the context of just Fire Emblem.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Excels posted:

That's why Roy never came back. He turned out to be lame in his own FE title and now only people who never played his game want him back in Smash.
Artix's title says it all, really.

I'm still surprised that Fire Emblem has 4 characters. They're right below Legend of Zelda's 5, and LoZ is one of Nintendo's most famous franchises. Awakening must have been really well-recieved.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm still surprised that Fire Emblem has 4 characters. They're right below Legend of Zelda's 5, and LoZ is one of Nintendo's most famous franchises. Awakening must have been really well-recieved.

It was, and also Fire Emblem has over a dozen titles which is pretty huge

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Supersonic Shine posted:

Extremely. It single-handedly saved the Fire Emblem franchise.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Awakening was the best-selling game in the series as well, doubling sales projections and generating a lot of buzz. Many game developers seem to be fans of the series as well, including Sakurai.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It was, and also Fire Emblem has over a dozen titles which is pretty huge
So huge that I expected FE to be given the Musou treatment instead of Legend of Zelda. Of course, everyone in the series uses some combination of swords, axes, lances, knives, bows, and fire/lightning/wind/light/dark magic, so there's not a whole lot of room for variation there.

Edit: But the Black Knight is an almost perfect analogue for Lu Bu. I can hear him calmly asking "Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge" after cutting down the latest commander to face him.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 30, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let's be fair now though, Roy is the only Fire Emblem lord who is like 99% guaranteed to one-round the final boss.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I'm extremely pleased with the amount of Fire Emblem representation in this game. However, I still want Anna. She has made more appearances than any other character in a Fire Emblem game and is basically the series mascot. Also she rules!!!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sharrrk posted:

I'm extremely pleased with the amount of Fire Emblem representation in this game. However, I still want Anna. She has made more appearances than any other character in a Fire Emblem game and is basically the series mascot. Also she rules!!!

I could see her being pretty fun in her Awakening Trickster gear.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Average Bear posted:

Ah yes let me wear this literal breastplate that covers about 20% of my vital organs

At Nintendo, even the men wear armor bikinis because they're equal opportunity.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Average Bear posted:

Except he's a fast character so it actually makes sense he'd have very limited armor.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yep, also there's not a whole lot they could add from Zelda or at least they didn't want to try. Luciana is also a direct clone, moreso than Toon Link so she barely took any effort at all. FE got as many new characters as Kid Icarus, one new person and a clone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

Also the timeframe wasn't really right.

EDIT: That said Micaiah owns and her chapters were the best part of FE10. They really nailed the 'you're a bunch of dipshits with sticks against the strongest army in the world' feeling.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Also the timeframe wasn't really right.

EDIT: That said Micaiah owns and her chapters were the best part of FE10. They really nailed the 'you're a bunch of dipshits with sticks against the strongest army in the world' feeling.

Yeah I actually liked them, personally. Although Ike in that game kind of stole the show. He outright says "You were dead the moment you raised your sword against me." in the game. It's just so fire emblem.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
People poo poo on the Dawn Brigade in that game (for good reason) but their missions were really tense and fun overall. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn had really good map design, I hope Awakening 2 goes back to that standard. Either way Ike is the best forever though.

Really if people want an answer to 'why so many anime swordsman?' it's because they're all popular, and more popular than those with different weapon types. It's like asking why Luigi isn't cut from the game for being too cosmetically similar to Mario and replaced with a Koopa Troopa.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah even if they dipped into the non-lord characters the most popular FE13 characters were

Chrom (Sword,) Gaius, (Sword,) Cordelia (Lance, but she rides a pegasus in-game and that'd be hard to make playable) Tharja, (Dark magic but lol), Lucina (Sword,) Severa (Sword), Inigo, (Sword), and Owain (Sword)

Sword dudes are cool.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I don't want any more Fire Emblem characters because I don't play that series and as such I can't get hype as gently caress for them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't want any more Fire Emblem characters because I don't play that series and as such I can't get hype as gently caress for them.
Well I want more Fire Emblem characters and Sakurai is my dad

Suspicious Cook posted:

That sounds like the exact challenge Sakurai needs. Maybe she'd ride it around like Wario's bike.
Her big thing gameplay-wise is the fact that she, you know, flies.

Then again I guess that's how the Koopa Clown Car works too so who knows.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Endorph posted:

Cordelia (Lance, but she rides a pegasus in-game and that'd be hard to make playable)

That sounds like the exact challenge Sakurai needs. Maybe she'd ride it around like Wario's bike.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Endorph posted:

Yeah even if they dipped into the non-lord characters the most popular FE13 characters were

Chrom (Sword,) Gaius, (Sword,) Cordelia (Lance, but she rides a pegasus in-game and that'd be hard to make playable) Tharja, (Dark magic but lol), Lucina (Sword,) Severa (Sword), Inigo, (Sword), and Owain (Sword)

Sword dudes are cool.

Owain DLC. He uses hundreds of voiced lines to name each and every item he picks up, no matter how mundane.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Sword dudes are cool.

Where are you getting this from? I had no clue Gaius was so popular

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

The japanese popularity poll. Gaius was the second most popular male in the first gen.

That same popularity poll determined the swimsuit/hot spring scenes, so

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
People throw around Hector a lot as a sword alternative for a FE character, but really it's the definition of wishful thinking. Japan didn't like his game (it's only notable here for being the first FE game released in English), he shares major spotlight with other characters, his game is old, and Lyn - another sword user from the same game - is more popular anyway. It's not as much wishful thinking as thinking that Sakurai would add a Xenoblade character and that it wouldn't be Shulk, though, which I saw a decent amount as well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KamikazePotato posted:

People throw around Hector a lot as a sword alternative for a FE character, but really it's the definition of wishful thinking. Japan didn't like his game (it's only notable here for being the first FE game released in English), he shares major spotlight with other characters, his game is old, and Lyn - another sword user from the same game - is more popular anyway. It's not as much wishful thinking as thinking that Sakurai would add a Xenoblade character and that it wouldn't be Shulk, though, which I saw a decent amount as well.
Lyn is more popular than Hector?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Lucina (Sword,)
Lucina can use lances upon promoting to Great Lord. It's a shame her signature weapon is a sword, because I'd like to see her pull out a Brave Lance or a similar weapon for some of her attacks.

Same with Ike and axes. Just imagine him using Ragnell and Urvan in concert. In fact, if Lucina used lances and Ike used axes, every corner of the FE weapon triangle would make an appearance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nihilarian posted:

Lyn is more popular than Hector?

Guess who's been an assist trophy (twice) and who's nothing?

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

It's from this poll.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

Which was later used to decide who'd feature in the swimsuit/yukata DLCs.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Supersonic Shine posted:

Lucina can use lances upon promoting to Great Lord. It's a shame her signature weapon is a sword, because I'd like to see her pull out a Brave Lance or a similar weapon for some of her attacks.

Same with Ike and axes. Just imagine him using Ragnell and Urvan in concert. In fact, if Lucina used lances and Ike used axes, every corner of the FE weapon triangle would make an appearance.

She's a direct clone of Marth, Robin uses magic which is a new type of FE character we've never seen before. He's the real addition.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I could see her being pretty fun in her Awakening Trickster gear.

Before Robin was revealed, I always pictured her as using the Levin sword for her normal attacks and using staves for her specials.

Up Special - Warp (technically not in Awakening but gently caress it, Robin can't use Dark Magic so who cares)
Neutral Special - Heal (slowly heals damage as you hold it down)
Side Special - idk, probably another staff from a different FE game like Sleep or something
Down Special - Ward (reflect projectiles)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Guess who's been an assist trophy (twice) and who's nothing?
I don't think that's necessarily due to popularity, though. Is there a poll or something for FE7 characters?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleep would be good, or maybe Again to make her next few attacks hit twice.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think that's necessarily due to popularity, though. Is there a poll or something for FE7 characters?

Lyn is more popular than Hector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why do people have to play the games a character is from to be "hype" about them? I thought everyone was really excited for Wii Fit Trainer and really its not like goons are going to play a fitness game, am I right guys, amirite??

• Locked thread