Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azraelle posted:

Please link

Kojima made those tweets for a reason, there was more than a little backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

like 10 writers have developed a whole narrative where they made up an enemy and trumped it without ever talking to anyone outside the group of 10 writers and it is amazing

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

send everyone associated with indie electronic entertainment media to reeducation camps

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

lovely Wizard posted:

I thought an organized conspiracy was retarded and that they were just sort of circling the wagons to protect their friends, but then in about a day's worth of time they all write pretty much the same article.

This is sort of weird.

wasn't it something like 14 different articles on the very same topic in a single day?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
ngl, I think Quiet's design looks pretty dumb. A bikini top, holey fishnet stockings and a thong I guess.
Those straps are gonna chaaaaafe.

still don't get how mute characters=raped

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

EasternBronze posted:

Holy poo poo I literally got a similar call from a friend of mine like an hour ago.

He has an XBOX and has only ever played the HALO games and KOTOR.

He called me with the assumption that I would automatically be on the pro-Zoe side of things so it was a hoot getting to explain that 4chan is in the right, ie the one time a bad kid really did get detention because the teacher singled him out

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
patrick klepek didn't join in, that makes me respect him a little more

or maybe he was writing an article and gerstmann swatted him with a newspaper.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Either way you look at it it's kinda stupid to be sniper in the loving Hindu Kush and be dressed like that.

Having said that, Metal Gear Solid 2 is the most feminist game ever.

There could be a million different reasons Quiet is dressed the way she is, It's deeply ironic that Anita assumed it was a sexual thing rather than a practical thing.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Forums Barber posted:

blown the gently caress out. "Hey, it's dad, sorry my kid flamed you, he's not allowed to use twitter anymore."

lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

ngl, I think Quiet's design looks pretty dumb. A bikini top, holey fishnet stockings and a thong I guess.

The way the word rape is thrown around these days how would it surprise you if people said that.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Peter Bazooka posted:

Even the guy who runs the escapist is getting sick of his writers bullshit.

Bob Chipman is back peddling on his twitter now.

IS he the one who said gamers are worse than ISIS?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Alexzandvar posted:

There could be a million different reasons Quiet is dressed the way she is, It's deeply ironic that Anita assumed it was a sexual thing rather than a practical thing.

Well let's be honest it really does look sexual.

With that said lol at looking for realism in loving Metal Gear Solid

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

EasternBronze posted:

What if she chose to wear that, isn't attacking her for that slut-shaming?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Alexzandvar posted:

she dressed that way because kojima wanted her dressed that way, but if anyone can pull off a good reason for quiet, then it's kojima

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sjws ideal vision for society is so boring

can't wear a burka, because those are inventions of men to keep women suppressed

can't be naked/scantily clad, because male gaze

can't dress in typically girly clothes, because gender stereotype

everyone is gonna just wear gray jumpsuits with shaved heads or something

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Falsum posted:

She's dressed like a WWE Wrestler.

Let's just assume that people see half naked people and get sexual thoughts, like is that a crime or some poo poo?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falsum posted:

With that said lol at looking for realism in loving Metal Gear Solid

Pretty much, the shear amount of male rear end shots in MGS is staggering, also not to mention the fact nanomachines are literally magic.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

quote:

There's a battle going on. An Internet War. Over the past two weeks it's spilled out all across the web, to the point where it's hard to go online without feeling part of the impact.

On one side of this battle there are The Gamers--a group of self-proclaimed hardcore video game fans who have made a crusade out of defending their hobby.

On the other side there are The Social Justice Warriors--the people who fight for, well, social justice.

The Social Justice Warriors are upset because The Gamers are all fedora-wearing misogynistic manbabies who harass women and send death threats to critics.

The Gamers are upset because The Social Justice Warriors are an oppressively radical group that censors debate and wants to kill video games (or replace them all with Gone Home).

A couple of days ago, the Internet War really escalated. A number of high-profile media sites declared their allegiance; "'Gamers' are over," proclaimed Leigh Alexander at Gamasutra, and some other sites followed.

Now, any rational human being with a sense of empathy and a desire for equality might think, "Well of course we should fight for social justice. Sexism is a serious problem in the video game industry. That needs to change." It's true: anyone who doesn't think video game culture needs to be more inclusive is stuck in a world that will not exist for much longer. Games are getting more diverse, progressive values are growing more popular, and big publishers like Ubisoft will no longer be able to get away with flimsy excuses like "women are too expensive to animate."

But anyone who dismisses the concerns brought up by The Gamers because they are The Gamers--because so many of their points are buried in sloppy, misleading imgur compilations and nasty YouTube videos--is also doing a disservice to video game culture. There are ethical concerns being ignored or dismissed because they are smothered by misogynistic rhetoric. There are some reasonable points among the grime. Some of those points--that games reporters loathe their audience; that games reporters are too close to the people they cover; that games reporters are too unwilling to see multiple angles of an issue--are valid, critical, and worth plenty of scrutiny.

OK, now here's the big secret: the Internet War doesn't actually exist. The Social Justice Warriors, The Gamers... they're all just caricatures. Most of the people who believe in social justice are not frothing radicals, and most of the people who consider themselves "gamers" are just normal people who really like video games. By viewing all this drama as a big two-sided conflict between stereotypes, we're missing out on a major opportunity to improve things. Too many in the press believe in this idea of "us vs. them"--us being "developers and press," them being "gamers"--which is exactly what leads to this idea of Video Game Journalism as one big bubble where the press serve themselves and their buddies instead of normal people who play video games. If we want better journalism in gaming--and who doesn't want better journalism in gaming?--that's gotta change. We need to listen. gently caress the Internet War. Let's all just do our jobs better.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s71k8k

Jason Schreier continues to be one of the only voices of reason. I wonder if Alex Navarro is going to yell at him again.

Skunny Wundy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 30, 2014

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

everyone is gonna just wear gray jumpsuits with shaved heads or something

gently caress you i want to live in a world where everyone is in a perpetual beastie boys vid

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sexuality is not a natural human emotion or behavior, it was created by the patriarchy. lack of clothing is rape because nudity is artificial /tumblr

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know what identity politics really have no place in videogames, you wanna know why??

They make sure nobody can have fun.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

they still are circling the wagons, but thats the problem

if they'd let zoe out to dry then this wouldn't have happened

the problem with extremely close cliques like this is that everyone has too much dirt on everyone else

like most of the poo poo people have on zoe is largely circumstantial, if they threw her to the wolves she could blow the doors open to a mcmansion-sized walk-in closet full of skeletons, i bet

also /v/ seems surprisingly good at maintaining some semblance of discipline among all the anarchy, it appears. the whole zoe thing has been reduced to a minor sideshow in all the threads now, with the focus being general games journalism corruption

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

this girl's eyes follow me around the room :stare:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

Women have eyes in the back of their head, welcome to the human race.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I to find it shocking some woman enjoy looking attractive. Bayonetta is a sexist character despite being the most powerful woman ever who killed a god, because she is hot.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

lack of clothing is rape because nudity is artificial

nudity is a construct of the patriarchy and all women are born in a flannel blouse wearing oversized hoop earings

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alexzandvar posted:

I to find it shocking some woman enjoy looking attractive. Lightning is a sexist character despite being the most powerful woman ever who killed a god, because she is hot.

ftfy

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

poptart_fairy posted:

She's the new, improved, Boxxy 2.0.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

did someone say internet war? firing up my ddos scripts now, when are we striking ebaumsworld? what is fark's status?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

what is fark's status?

sad

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You're too loving triggered? then why the hell would you complain about a game that uses a billion guns?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i do think that the way Quiet is portrayed is a little unsettling because in the trailer where you first see her she is bound, nearly naked, and hooded while a dude shocks her tits with two cattle prods so her whole body twitches

so yeah

but i think that's less reflective of gamers as a whole and more of hideo kojima's deeply broken brain. the fact that he is continually allowed to make games makes him basically the Howard Beale of video gaming.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Alexzandvar posted:

I to find it shocking some woman enjoy looking attractive. Bayonetta is a sexist character despite being the most powerful woman ever who killed a god, because she is hot.

are there any sjws who are like no-poo poo bombshells who enjoy being gawked at for being walking, living goddesses because I am starting to think that most of this is just jealousy that they weren't the hot popular girl in school who all the football players liked or are the nerdy nice guys who could never score hot women because they think doting on them makes them attractive for being so nice

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Justin Tyme posted:

did someone say internet war? firing up my ddos scripts now, when are we striking ebaumsworld? what is fark's status?

go lay back down grandpa

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Naturally men are going to write female poorly. We need more female game designers, but we fired them all over the weekend because they kept making drag and drop html games.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
i didn't ask for this war, i just wanted to play AAA batman titles.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

kojima also made old snake have DAT rear end, resulting in probably the most rule 34 for a male character there is being that of a graying 40-something mustachioed chain smoker

the dude is weird as hell, is all

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kojima just distills old anime and action movies down into a pure form, hence the MGS series.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

The owner of the escapist must not have been kidding about chewing these people out because this guy is currently writing some huge apology on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

I thought an organized conspiracy was retarded and that they were just sort of circling the wagons to protect their friends, but then in about a day's worth of time they all write pretty much the same article.

This is sort of weird.

Their PR person (Maya Kramer/@legobutt) is selling "Cuties killed gamers" shirts, the site shows that she sold 260. http://teespring.com/cuties These idiots self-destructed for this poo poo. They really do coordinate through her, 4chan dug it up pretty easily since none of these people thought they were doing anything wrong, so they didn't cover their tracks.

Meanwhile, Zoe is still a strong independent game dev who don't need no journalist man:
http://www.mp4upload.com/1k3y2sla6hbe

(just kidding, that vid was made by Nathan Grayson of Kotaku.)

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread