Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quoted for truth. Lord Haw Haw did not actually have any legal obligation to the British government, but people were angry enough at him that it didn't matter. Any similarities to rendition (by any government, not just the U.K.) are left to the reader.

He was British enough to become a leader of the British Union of Fascists and he chose to become a British citizen.

And why the gently caress are people trying to defend Nazis and fascists in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

He was British enough to become a leader of the British Union of Fascists and he chose to become a British citizen.

And why the gently caress are people trying to defend Nazis and fascists in this thread?

Getting the facts right and trying to understand people does not equal defending them

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ThomasPaine posted:

Getting the facts right and trying to understand people does not equal defending them

If he became a British citizen, what prevented him from being tried for treason?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kurtofan posted:

If he became a British citizen, what prevented him from being tried for treason?

Hell if I know, I'm not a lawyer!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jedit posted:

Although legally an American citizen, he held a British passport in 1939; in September 1940 he was granted German nationality and held a German passport thereafter.

quote:

Because due process of law matters, especially when applied to Nazis, fascists, or terrorists. From the Penguin Famous Trials summary.

J.W. Hall posted:

... much to my surprise I have found, with a universal reprobation of Joyce's conduct, a very considerable feeling, shared by lawyers and laymen, servicemen and civilians, that (with the utmost respect to the eight out of nine learned judges) the decision was wrong, and that an unmeritorious case has been made bad law. The feeling is not so much that Joyce, having been convicted, should have been reprieved, but that he should not have been convicted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I think you can believe that broadcasting shite shouldn't be a capital offense without defending fascists.
I'll make an exception for Piers Morgan though.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Ddraig posted:

Against civilians and badly disciplined local militias they're making major gains, against any sort of real resistance they're having less effect.
Are the Peshmerga or Syrian army badly organised militia? It's good to oppose intervention but there's no need to misrepresent the capabilities of IS. An extremely well armed and funded state terrorist organisation with a strong beef with the UK legitimises greater scrutiny of IS recruits from the UK.

quote:

ISIS are not particularly scary if you're reading this, sorry. You may feel scared but it's largely irrational. They're not going to be bringing down Western civilization any time soon. Thinking they will is almost at Israeli levels of delusion, but at least they have the fact ISIS are quite near as an excuse.
LOL

Who is saying anything close to that? Or is it double-Israeli to ask?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, I doubt even UKIP nutters think ISIS poses any threat to "Western civilization", nobody wants to the ones to die in the odd bombing, though (+ the political consequences).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 30, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Regarding the attack on George Galloway, I heard that the police are going to charge the loon who attacked him with "religiously motivated assault", I'm no expert in British law, but shouldn't an attack against an MP be considered an act against the state ( or better yet terrorism) or something? It makes it seem like it's a scuffle between private citizens rather than an attack against an elected official.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The less connection between George Galloway and the state, the better.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Survation did a constituency poll of Clacton

:shepicide:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Regarding the attack on George Galloway, I heard that the police are going to charge the loon who attacked him with "religiously motivated assault", I'm no expert in British law, but shouldn't an attack against an MP be considered an act against the state ( or better yet terrorism) or something? It makes it seem like it's a scuffle between private citizens rather than an attack against an elected official.

Supposedly it's this guy (top post is "Neil is my carer and I stand by him and this attack that he obviously felt he had to do to George Galloway. He is a very kind and decent man who obviously felt he had to do what he did"), seems to be a big fan of Israel, UKIP, Britain First, and not such a big fan of Muslims.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Brown Moses posted:

Supposedly it's this guy (top post is "Neil is my carer and I stand by him and this attack that he obviously felt he had to do to George Galloway. He is a very kind and decent man who obviously felt he had to do what he did"), seems to be a big fan of Israel, UKIP, Britain First, and not such a big fan of Muslims.

Wowzers that.... sure is a thing!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

twoot posted:

Survation did a constituency poll of Clacton

:shepicide:

Why the hell does a seaside tourist resort care that much about Immigration?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

Probably because there's no jobs, they need someone to blame and an undefined, sinister mass of immigrants is an easy scapegoat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Not So Fast posted:

A seaside resort in Essex.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Probably because there's no jobs, they need someone to blame and an undefined, sinister mass of immigrants is an easy scapegoat.

The immigration rate is too high. The people don't have a say. Even when the ruling coalition wants to restrict, it can't. There are a lot of reasons without having to resort to ad hominim.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

SelfOM posted:

The immigration rate is too high. The people don't have a say. Even when the ruling coalition wants to restrict, it can't. There are a lot of reasons without having to resort to ad hominim.

We just can't cope with all these immigrants coming here! It's too high!

*cuts funding to everything*

See?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SelfOM posted:

The immigration rate is too high.

Says who?

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Says the people of Clacton, evidently - which in an election is really all that matters.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 30, 2014

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Democracy only if it gets the result I want! Proles can't think for themselves. Duh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SelfOM posted:

These are all tied into the politicised idea of an undefined, sinister mass of immigrants though. "There's too many and even the government can't stop them!!!"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

SelfOM posted:

Democracy only if it gets the result I want! Proles can't think for themselves. Duh

-The arm of the mass media propaganda machine

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

SelfOM posted:

It's ok to call a majority position loving stupid/xenophobic/whatever if it actually is.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

namesake posted:

It's ok to call a majority position loving stupid/xenophobic/whatever if it actually is.

How is it xenophobic to want to restrict immigration. Studies have shown that immigration doesn't do anything above having population growth that having more children would also do.

edit: and the per capita wealth can drop depending on GDP growth.

SelfOM fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 31, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SelfOM posted:

How is it xenophobic to want to restrict immigration.

I dunno, how is it homophobic to hate faggots?

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

-The arm of the mass media propaganda machine

Which is consistently in favor of more immigration.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

SelfOM posted:

How is it xenophobic to want to restrict immigration. Studies have shown that immigration doesn't do anything above having population growth that having more children would also do.

So it's literally the same as people having children except for they have different names and religions and languages? That's the xenophobic part.

Edit: Unless you're into forced population control for everyone of course.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

TinTower posted:

I dunno, how is it homophobic to hate faggots?

Restricting is not hating.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

SelfOM posted:

Good luck, fella :munch:

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

namesake posted:

So it's literally the same as people having children except for they have different names and religions and languages? That's the xenophobic part.

Except the act of having their own children makes most people happier?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

SelfOM posted:

Except the act of having their own children makes most people happier?

Well ok but I doubt people are thinking 'well I'd love kids but these bloody immigrants are taking up all the space in my womb'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Says everyone who can't comprehend the scale of the numbers involved or any of the nuance effects population change has on job opportunities, and so analogise it in their heads as a big game of musical chairs (where the number of chairs is a) static and b) never larger than the total population minus all immigrants)

SelfOM posted:

There are a lot of reasons without having to resort to ad hominim.

Just because the townspeople involved would take offence to being told they're wrong and stupid does not make it an ad hom.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
When you think about it in terms of birthrates, it's probably xenophobic to hate faggots.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

namesake posted:

Well ok but I doubt people are thinking 'well I'd love kids but these bloody immigrants are taking up all the space in my womb'.

A larger population on finite resources makes it a lot harder to have children. It simply isn't affordable for a lot of people. 11-15% of the UK population is foreign born and this doesn't include their children. To say that immigration hasn't significantly increased the population size and density is an outright lie.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just because the townspeople involved would take offence to being told they're wrong and stupid does not make it an ad hom.

Calling people stupid does make it ad hom? And you're only arguments presented are, that it's xenophobic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

SelfOM posted:

Calling people stupid does make it ad hom? And you're only arguments presented are, that it's xenophobic.

Technically it's only really an ad hom if the validity of the argument rests on a personal attack.

Insulting someone after you've already proved them wrong is just insulting them and doesn't really make a difference to anything.

e: Also I can't tell if you're a troll or not.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 31, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

SelfOM posted:

Immigrants also bring massive gains in the form of taxes paid and money spent, as well as filling holes in the job market for workers with particular skills.

You twat.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Immigrants also bring massive gains in the form of taxes paid and money spent, as well as filling holes in the job market for workers with particular skills.

You twat.

Did you not read the first statement I said where gains are no different than a normal increasing population size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

SelfOM posted:

A larger population on finite resources makes it a lot harder to have children. It simply isn't affordable for a lot of people. 11-15% of the UK population is foreign born and this doesn't include their children. To say that immigration hasn't significantly increased the population size and density is an outright lie.

So immigration does have other effects, that's not what you initially said before but ok.

Having children being so expensive that it puts people off doesn't necessarily relate to immigration at all, it relates to income and access to the sorts of services that parents and children need, which is a much more general economic issue; it still can be a problem if there were no immigration at all and if population growth was suddenly fueled entirely by native births then there'd still be a problem at the current level of provision of these services and income levels because they are insufficient for the level of demand.

Immigration isn't the root cause, is the basis of my argument, and stopping immigration is at best a half solution for those living in the UK and a serious detriment to the people of the rest of the world.

• Locked thread