Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

burritolingus posted:

Women deserve representation in video games, even the sluts.

They're only sluts when they're dead and the in back of the trunk. They're call girls when they're still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

literally a hog posted:

Legobutts is the person who doxxed The Fine Young Capitalists and tweeted out his personal details to Zoe and her army of twitter users. Now she's selling shirts.

according to the reddit AMA, legobutts also used to be a hardcore misogynist (though she is female) as zoe's PR spokesman until being a feminist seemed more lucrative

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

literally a hog posted:

Legobutts is the person who doxxed The Fine Young Capitalists and tweeted out his personal details to Zoe and her army of twitter users. Now she's selling shirts.

This doxxing poo poo is kind of getting out of hand. I've known people who get doxxed for nothing at all.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Brown Menace posted:

luckily tweets speak louder than actions, so i am a better feminism ally than the guys who, once again, donated tens of thousands of dollars to a feminist charity

It really is baller as gently caress that 4chan raised tens of thousands for a feminist charity and I can't get over it

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Why is this distinction never ever made in the minds of either side?
It is though? Feminists constantly defend the right for real people to dress how they want. They also try to articulate why male creators are often creepy about their fake female characters, and how it relates to the ways men subconsciously and consciously view women. Seems distinct to me.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're only sluts when they're dead and the in back of the trunk.

Isn't that the fate of every video game woman character, though?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Isn't it supposed to be 'Cooties killing video games'?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

burritolingus posted:

no

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

does this have any impact on things outside of videogames

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

literally a hog posted:

quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does "killing videogames" mean? Dear fellow cutie,
There is a theory you might not be familiar with that has been circulating the gamer community for quite some time: that some people have the desire to KILL VIDEO GAMES. If you're unaware of how to determine who might be killing video games, I've started a list for you.
People Who Are Attempting to Kill Video Games, by Felix
-developers of games about "feelings"
-developers of "walking simulators"
-developers who support the developers making these types of games
-people who write about games
-people who like pixel art
-anyone in AAA who makes any change to any AAA FPS
-feminists
-"casuals"
-people working to make games more accessible to those with disabilities
-i'm not even kidding on that last one
-mobile game developers
-good writers
-minorities
-many, many more
Essentially, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that we are, as developers and friends of developers, constantly killing video games. And then it dawned on me:
I'm into it.
If I'm killing video games, I may as well own it, and look cute doing it. So we made a shirt - so that cuties everywhere can tell the world...
~~We are killing videogames~~
Hope this helps,
Maya Felix

More walking simulators for the disabled please...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're only sluts when they're dead and the in back of the trunk. They're call girls when they're still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476e_ck5H-M

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is this finally going to kill "gaming "journalism""?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

burritolingus posted:

Nah none of the karts in Mario Kart have trunks.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's going to kill everything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

burritolingus posted:

:getin:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You do realise this how opinions are changed right? Complaining until people acquiesce and cultural norms change.
But opinions & cultural norms only change is you show people the thing you're complaining about and they go "drat that's hosed up." MLK complained about jim crow and black people being treated like poo poo. Feminists complained about women being locked out of many societal roles and being treated like poo poo. Gay advocates complain about their partnerships not being recognized by the state and being treated like poo poo.

When your audience by and large reacts with "drat that's some trivial bullshit," you can complain forever and nothing will happen. The SJW movement or whatever it might be called, the trigger warning advocates, the intersectionality people, the media representation police -- most of these complaints are things that are so removed from normal experience that people can't emphasize.

Particularly when you're complaining about those horrible gamers, at which point it becomes some trivial bullshit inside of the trivial bullshit that is video games.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont have a mba but if ur business is video games maybe its not good dollars sense to bag on the people who play video games

but hell what do i know maybe there is some long game poo poo going on here

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

No, but expect some hilariously groveling and less pandering to SJW weirdos.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does "killing videogames" mean? Dear fellow cutie,
There is a theory you might not be familiar with that has been circulating the gamer community for quite some time: that some people have the desire to KILL VIDEO GAMES. If you're unaware of how to determine who might be killing video games, I've started a list for you.
People Who Are Attempting to Kill Video Games, by Felix
-minorities
-many, many more
Essentially, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that we are, as developers and friends of developers, constantly killing video games. And then it dawned on me:
I'm into it.
If I'm killing video games, I may as well own it, and look cute doing it. So we made a shirt - so that cuties everywhere can tell the world...
~~We are killing videogames~~
Hope this helps,
Maya Felix

dang, i'm a big ol' mean minority, and i wish you'd gently caress off. what now, maya, what now.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Doxxing is the worst crime someone could experience.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Parallax Scroll posted:

does this have any impact on things outside of videogames

It might have convinced some randos that the hardest edge of the online social justice thing is actually really hypocritical and bad but besides that no

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Klyith posted:

But opinions & cultural norms only change is you show people the thing you're complaining about and they go "drat that's hosed up." MLK complained about jim crow and black people being treated like poo poo. Feminists complained about women being locked out of many societal roles and being treated like poo poo. Gay advocates complain about their partnerships not being recognized by the state and being treated like poo poo.

When your audience by and large reacts with "drat that's some trivial bullshit," you can complain forever and nothing will happen. The SJW movement or whatever it might be called, the trigger warning advocates, the intersectionality people, the media representation police -- most of these complaints are things that are so removed from normal experience that people can't emphasize.

Particularly when you're complaining about those horrible gamers, at which point it becomes some trivial bullshit inside of the trivial bullshit that is video games.

Also all those people actually went out and did things where as internet activists stay home.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
What kind of video games would Martin Luther King play? I could see him dabble in some Infinity engine games and maybe a little saints row for kicks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

i dont have a mba but if ur business is video games maybe its not good dollars sense to bag on the people who play video games

you can get away with making GBS threads on gamers quite a bit, they're fickle as gently caress (see: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 "boycott")

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Danger Mahoney posted:

but hell what do i know maybe there is some long game poo poo going on here

Their long con is sex with Zoe Quinn.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It really is baller as gently caress that 4chan raised tens of thousands for a feminist charity and I can't get over it

Say, what was the name of the feminist charity that 4chan raised tens of thousands of dollars for?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

:gas:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Say, what was the name of the feminist charity that 4chan raised tens of thousands of dollars for?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-fine-young-capitalists--2

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

*adjusts glasses, raises eyebrows* Islamic State

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

There already is a game that sums up Gaza/Israel's conflict perfectly.

It's called Pong.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

There already is a game that sums up Gaza/Israel's conflict perfectly.

Boogerman

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Gotta go fast *spin dashs into a small Palestinian child*

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

reminder that super pro-feminist depression quest developer zoe quinn had her twitter army take this page down

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pawn 17 posted:

I've been listening to \v\ The Musical thanks to this thread and it's p drat awesome. Who knew something good could come from the reddit community.

I agree entirely, I especially like every song that was from Aladdin. Their version of Hellfire is pretty cool too.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

burritolingus posted:

Archduchess Zoe Quinn doxxed by Serbian Anarchist MRAs, world plunges into war.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh is this the one Zoe Quinn tried to kill off?

NutritiousSnack posted:

No, but expect some hilariously groveling and less pandering to SJW weirdos.

This is an acceptable outcome.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

yes

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Brown Menace posted:

reminder that super pro-feminist depression quest developer zoe quinn had her twitter army take this page down

Wait you mean feminist game developer Zoe Quinn (target of unspeakable harassment!!!!) had her followers (on Twitter!?) take down the fundraiser page for a feminist game that 4chan raised tens of thousands of dollars (U.S. Currency!) to support?

But now it's back and she's fine with it!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

yup, a feminist non-profit charity which forwards all money from sales to the woman who came up with the game idea, as well as a colon cancer charity (as a reference to totalbiscuit who had a colon cancer scare a while ago)

the sexist devil, i tells ya.

• Locked thread