Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Wait, lol. "A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens"
Isn't Icewind Dale considered to have the weakest story of all the Infinity Engine games? Wouldn't something like this be more appropriate to Baldur's Gate, or Planescape even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Basic Chunnel posted:

IWDEE was probably the cheapest option for the Beamdog devs going forward but they know that IWD as a property has significantly limited appeal outside the nostalgia cult (relative to BG, anyway, which has a rep for being story-driven), and aside from the still-gorgeous environs there's actually not a whole lot to recommend IWD over more recent dungeon crawlers. So they're working to make the game actually appealing to people who own tablets. And why shouldn't they? I absolutely would not recommend a 2E dungeon crawler to anyone who hasn't already played it. Get a Spiderweb game instead.
This is sort of what I'm saying. That's got to be the most futile effort ever made, because no one who's done the most minor bit of research can fail to understand that the vast majority of the game is the dungeons. All an easier setting can do is cut a little time and frustration off those dungeons, so you can catch up slightly faster to a plot that wasn't the point of the game in first place.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sperg traps aside, porting IWD to the BG2 engine is something that the much-vaunted mod scene never managed to do and it would be a lot of fun to revisit IWD with all of that game's bells and whistles.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I like how instead of adding new content this time they're relying on incorporating Unfinished Business and destroying the balance using BGEE classes

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sperg traps aside, porting IWD to the BG2 engine is something that the much-vaunted mod scene never managed to do and it would be a lot of fun to revisit IWD with all of that game's bells and whistles.

Untrue.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't Icewind Dale considered to have the weakest story of all the Infinity Engine games? Wouldn't something like this be more appropriate to Baldur's Gate, or Planescape even?
The narrative is kind of boring but the writing is all fantastic. That is the back story for all the dungeons is really good.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I'm kind of disappointed that they're not just upgrading the engine, but that they're also bringing in BG2 mechanics.

e:

What people mean when they say "IWD has no story" is that there are no whining NPC party members, the game is linear & the story isn't about YOU. (You're not even a you, you're an adventuring party!) The plot & writing is a lot tighter than it is in the BG series, IMO.

verybad fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 31, 2014

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The gently caress is story mode supposed to be? No game overs what.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Deaderinred posted:

The gently caress is story mode supposed to be? No game overs what.

Failure makes people feel bad and forces them to think and try things again, that kind of thing has no place in modern gaming. What are you, a grognard?

Actually they just want money from as many people as possible. IWD is a really bizarre choice for such a thing though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

yeah
http://www.icewinddale.com

they're gonna gently caress this up

on the other hand, IWD is like the one game i'd actually want an EE for.

better ui, more coherent systems that work like the other DnD games, THE loving ROLL COUNTER like BGEE has but for a WHOLE PARTY, etc.

also it's the only way atari is able to get their games on steam after hasbro/interplay signed that dumb loving 5-10 year exclusivity contract with gog, so you know, i'll take it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 31, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I like IWD, but the interface really has aged horribly. I'm enthused for this.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I like IWD, but the interface really has aged horribly. I'm enthused for this.

Yep, played IWD last time about a year ago and thought it would really benefit from the EE UI. I'm not really sure if bringing all the BG2 spells, classes, kits, etc. into IWD is really a good idea though. 40 new items, and 6 new quests(whatever that means) doesn't seem like a whole lot of new content either.

Also if the previous Beamdog releases are any indication this will be a buggy mess at launch.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
BG2 kits and spells are going to gently caress so hard with the encounter design.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The whole point of D&D is breaking the system so who cares, really

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I'm not upset, it's just going to be a lot easier and hilarious.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait so are they going to get rid of the IWD spells? Because they kick rear end.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

fong posted:

Wait so are they going to get rid of the IWD spells? Because they kick rear end.

No, IWDEE will have the original IWD spells, and some(all?) BG2 spells.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I can live with this. If they also put in some dark pits-like feature I'll be all over IWD:EE.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm enthusiastic for it because Icewind Dale is a pain to play on modern systems even with mods, but at the same time I am wondering why they're bringing over Baldur's Gate 2 classes and kits into the game as it would screw up the encounter design badly unless they tweaked them.

Story mode is also a dumb idea too, it would have worked better for... Baldur's Gate really, where if CHARNAME dies it wouldn't be an instant game over.

I'll still get it but some of it does seem like weird choices to make.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm enthusiastic for it because Icewind Dale is a pain to play on modern systems even with mods, but at the same time I am wondering why they're bringing over Baldur's Gate 2 classes and kits into the game as it would screw up the encounter design badly unless they tweaked them.

Story mode is also a dumb idea too, it would have worked better for... Baldur's Gate really, where if CHARNAME dies it wouldn't be an instant game over.

I'll still get it but some of it does seem like weird choices to make.

I'm torn on getting this because I *very much doubt* that Beamdog has/will tweak balance to account for the new kits/spells. I expect it's just copying over the engine and all that goes with it to a game not at all balanced for those features. Also, there seems to be hardly any additional content, and that story mode thing seems pointless.

New, smoother engine is tempting though.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Karmalaa70 posted:

I'm torn on getting this because I *very much doubt* that Beamdog has/will tweak balance to account for the new kits/spells. I expect it's just copying over the engine and all that goes with it to a game not at all balanced for those features. Also, there seems to be hardly any additional content, and that story mode thing seems pointless.

New, smoother engine is tempting though.

I'm pretty sure the "new" engine will just be the ToB engine with the unique IWD bits added in. Still, IWD1 is my favorite infinity engine game and the EE ease of use features like resolution scaling and instant saves will mean I will buy this like a chump.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I consider baldurs gate 1s story weaker because I couldn't care one bit about any of the side stories in it or the main story for that matter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Icewind Dale games have nice stories, they just aren't the main focus of the games. They sure as hell beat the OC of say, Neverwinter Nights anyway.

I wonder what they'll do after IWD 2 EE? I don't want them to do Planescape because mods can fix all that and you can't really do EE of Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2... maybe Temple of Elemental Evil EE? Or remakes of the Goldbox games?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition features the following enhancements:

Six expanded quests, featuring content cut from the original game
60 new items
31 new class and kit combinations from Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, well as the half-orc playable race
122 new spells carried over from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Cross-platform multiplayer
A new chapter in the Black Pits saga
Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Icewind Dale games have nice stories, they just aren't the main focus of the games. They sure as hell beat the OC of say, Neverwinter Nights anyway.

I wonder what they'll do after IWD 2 EE? I don't want them to do Planescape because mods can fix all that and you can't really do EE of Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2... maybe Temple of Elemental Evil EE? Or remakes of the Goldbox games?

Pretty sure they are still also working on what they call "adventure Y". Which they have basically admitted being expansion set between BG1 and 2. Kinda would also explain why there is so little new stuff in IWDEE as their content guys are probably spending most of their time on that.

Edit:

quote:

The Underdork @daigledopple · 13 h

And #IWDEE isn't all we're working on, we have some plans in store for Adventure Y.

That's what their producer(?) tweeted right after the IWDEE announcement.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 31, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you play as someone else during that expansion fine but if it's supposed to be the bhaal spawn that is really dumb. It will be a few hours of content at most and they will charge 20 dollars because of course they will. There isn't a whole lot of story to tell in between those games or levels to do it with.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

If you play as someone else during that expansion fine but if it's supposed to be the bhaal spawn that is really dumb. It will be a few hours of content at most and they will charge 20 dollars because of course they will. There isn't a whole lot of story to tell in between those games or levels to do it with.

My impression always was there being at least a couple months cap between killing Sarevok, and waking up in Irenicus' dungeon. Plenty of time to set an expansion in. I think the BG2 intro leaves the time between the end of BG1 and start of BG2 pretty opaque, but the ingame lore sets BG1 in 1368DR, and BG2 starts in 1369DR.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't know, there's quite a bit of space. The BG2 intro states that it's been months between the end of BG1 and Irenicus attacking you and kidnapping your party, so there's plenty of space for them to add a new, fairly sizeable expansion that takes you adventuring elsewhere in the Sword Coast.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The expansion will take you to an island where everyone is secretly a Dracula

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hell I'll take an expansion-sized version of Watcher's Keep if they're willing to give it. That kind of content anyway.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hmm the problem with that scenario is that you finish the first game at around level 7, then the second one starts you at level 7 ish (I think it is a specific amount of experience or w/e). If this adventure is set between the two games and they wish to preserve continuity either they constrain the experience you can gain to the level that BG2 starts with and let you continue with whatever you had at the end of BG1, or they let you wildly level up and then upon import into BG2 you get deleveled. I don't think either way really works. Much better would be to create a new game with a new narrative. I have heard a good suggestion of a prequel set during the time of troubles with Gorion as a party member.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Didnt they have concept art for dragonspire castle or whatever it was called back when they announced bg:ee and this adventure x and y stuff? They also "bought" the rights to one of the old bg2 mods that never got released, return to trademeat, supposedly lots of area art.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd honestly just prefer a standalone story using the Infinity Engine, somewhat like the Black Pits but more exploration heavy. I'd buy it. But trying to shoehorn in an interquel between BG 1 and BG 2 just feels awkward.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Deaderinred posted:

Didnt they have concept art for dragonspire castle or whatever it was called back when they announced bg:ee and this adventure x and y stuff?

Here it is:

East of that place is Boareskyr Bridge where Bhaal died. Just having found out that you're a bhaalspawn I think it's actually pretty decent plot idea to send the PC investigate that area.

There is also some dialogue in BG2EE that refers to things that haven't actually happened in either BG1 or 2. Like eg. NPC in Neera's ToB quest calls the PC "Victor of the Dragonspear Crusade", and there are also references to the party having visited Bridgefort which is in the same area as Boareskyr Bridge.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Deaderinred posted:

Didnt they have concept art for dragonspire castle or whatever it was called back when they announced bg:ee and this adventure x and y stuff? They also "bought" the rights to one of the old bg2 mods that never got released, return to trademeat, supposedly lots of area art.

Return to Trademeet did get released though?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Rookersh posted:

on the other hand, IWD is like the one game i'd actually want an EE for.

better ui, more coherent systems that work like the other DnD games, THE loving ROLL COUNTER like BGEE has but for a WHOLE PARTY, etc.

also it's the only way atari is able to get their games on steam after hasbro/interplay signed that dumb loving 5-10 year exclusivity contract with gog, so you know, i'll take it.

I agree completely. I love the EE games.

Honestly anything that generates interest in these types of RPGs is good, especially with the new kickstarter stuff coming out.

I'm still really butthurt about what happened with the Dragon Age series

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Or remakes of the Goldbox games?

Ideally, they'd do a full conversion of the old Dark Sun games with BGEE engine. DS:SL and DS:WotR use the same ruleset, same perspective, they're both fun and buggy (especially WotR) with cut content to restore. They're unapproachable for many current players due to janky DOS-era graphics/audio/compatibility, and for reasons, there are no mods to fix them beyond the official patches.

Adding psionics would probably be irritating, but they could just replace Paladin/Monk with Gladiator/Psion since Athas has no gods. A/V development would be the greatest expense unless the guardian of SSI/Mindscape/TSR scraps gets cranky. The plot and maps are already drawn out, and it's weird that nobody's made a game in that setting since the early '90s.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 31, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I wouldn't mind Baldur's Gate 1.5. Any level drop at the start of BG2 can easily be explained as the result of Irenicus' attempts at draining your essence

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
So finished BG1 is BG2 the same length? Because I am looking for a good time sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Badcounterpoint posted:

So finished BG1 is BG2 the same length? Because I am looking for a good time sink.

They average out about the same if you do them down to the marrow.