Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Quest For Glory II posted:

The new 3DS/WiiU Shantae went from Summer 2014 to TBA 2014 :|

Pirates Curse? That's been delayed so many times now.

Might be they're devoting more manpower to Half Genie Hero since they just got Hero Modes funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

At this point we'll probably get the Kickstarter game before we get the game they were making before they even starter that thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Newest update on Mario Adventuring -

Holy hell, Super Mario World. This was the primary Mario of my childhood, and so it carries a special nostalgia kick.

There needs to be a term for our surreal long-term videogame memory - every few levels i get a pang of "hey, that green pipe looks important." I head towards it and I'd like to think that maybe I'm just reading Nintendo level design like tea leaves. But no, I think its some old long-buried memories that still recall the shape and location of the game's nestled secrets.

And to make it all the more bizarre, a walkthrough points me towards secrets after I conquer each world - and I discover things I never knew existed. A 3-Up Moon mushroom? A top secret area that essentially allows for unlimited powerups and lives? The mind reels.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Yeah, tons of games got pushed back, unfortunately. Darn indies, why can't you just set realistic goals???

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
So I finally fired up Wind Waker again, and put in the 1-1.5 hours I needed to get a bigger wallet and 1000 rupees to fill it for the swift sail. Man does that make the game much more tolerable. It's actually fun again.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
So I've recently gotten into megaman, I've finished megaman 2, megaman x and gotten most of the way through 3. That being said, there are so many different megaman games and series that I'm not really sure what else is worth checking out. I'm not talking about games just on the wii u but I couldn't see a megaman thread.

I like the run and shoot game play, but found the thankfully minimal story in x terrible. For the classic series i know 2 and 3 are a must, the others are okay. What about the X games? There's like 8 of these?

Also are the other series worth getting into? Legends, zero? Battle network seems like it's own thing. Basically I like running, shooting and then stealing some guy's weapon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The three X games on Wii U are fine, but some of the later ones (X6/X7 especially) are pretty loving dire. The amount of plot/dialogue only increases from game to game.

The Zero and ZX series are both action sidescrollers and successors to the X series; Zero is a more modern, technical action series and ZX is a metroidvania thing. The quality of both series is a lot more consistent than X, too. Expect all these games to show up on Wii U eventually.

Legends is a 3D action/adventure series, the others are JRPGs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

I like the run and shoot game play, but found the thankfully minimal story in x terrible. For the classic series i know 2 and 3 are a must, the others are okay. What about the X games? There's like 8 of these?

Keeping in mind that I've only completed one of them and haven't played some of them past the first few minutes, in the X series the best game by a huge margin is the first one. Two and three are enjoyable but not as good as 1. Then things go off a cliff. 4 is okay, but the stages were really easy until the last boss when the difficulty skyrockets and it was surprisingly short (I thought there would be two or three more stages when I suddenly hit the last boss). 5 is kind of flat. 6 has some pretty boring level design. 7 is an abomination that must be destroyed. 8 apparently gets some warm feelings mainly by virtue of not being 7.

If you want more Mega Man then your best option is probably 9 and 10 which you can get on the Wii U through the Wii's eShop. 9 is excellent, on the same level as 2 and 3. 10 is just pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

So I've recently gotten into megaman, I've finished megaman 2, megaman x and gotten most of the way through 3. That being said, there are so many different megaman games and series that I'm not really sure what else is worth checking out. I'm not talking about games just on the wii u but I couldn't see a megaman thread.

Also are the other series worth getting into? Legends, zero? Battle network seems like it's own thing. Basically I like running, shooting and then stealing some guy's weapon.

All the original series are worth playing. Some are weaker than other but they're all pretty fun. This includes 9, 10 and Mega Man and Bass. Also, if possible, played Powered Up on the PSP because it might be the best remake of a classic game ever.

The SNES X games are all good. The first is the best but still, play them all. X4 is my personal favorite. It has two campaigns that play differently and contains the only interesting plot point in the entire series. X5 is a major step down but it's still okay and noteworthy because it was supposed to be the last one so they (badly) wrap up a bunch of stuff in it and it has the best/worst names mavericks in the series. X6 and X7 are garbage games that you should avoid at all costs. X8 is also well worth playing. The PSP remake of the first doesn't add too much, but if you have a PSP it's worth checking out.

The Battle Network series is pretty okay but very samey even within it's own game and if you hate dumb plot, avoid this like the plague. The Gamecube one is a normal sidescroller Megaman, but it also kinda sucks.

The Zero series is the hardest of the series and also full of really bad design decisions but it's still pretty alright. Also the first one is a Metroidvania, then they dropped that. They returned to Metroidvania with the ZX games which are pretty fun good, but not great, games.

The Legend games are janky as hell, but they have some charm if you can get passed their "we don't understand how to make a 3D game" ways.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Fremry posted:

So I finally fired up Wind Waker again, and put in the 1-1.5 hours I needed to get a bigger wallet and 1000 rupees to fill it for the swift sail. Man does that make the game much more tolerable. It's actually fun again.

Why on earth did you need 1000 rupees for that? I got it for just over 200.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

axleblaze posted:

All the original series are worth playing. Some are weaker than other but they're all pretty fun. This includes 9, 10 and Mega Man and Bass. Also, if possible, played Powered Up on the PSP because it might be the best remake of a classic game ever.

The SNES X games are all good. The first is the best but still, play them all. X4 is my personal favorite. It has two campaigns that play differently and contains the only interesting plot point in the entire series. X5 is a major step down but it's still okay and noteworthy because it was supposed to be the last one so they (badly) wrap up a bunch of stuff in it and it has the best/worst names mavericks in the series. X6 and X7 are garbage games that you should avoid at all costs. X8 is also well worth playing. The PSP remake of the first doesn't add too much, but if you have a PSP it's worth checking out.

The Battle Network series is pretty okay but very samey even within it's own game and if you hate dumb plot, avoid this like the plague. The Gamecube one is a normal sidescroller Megaman, but it also kinda sucks.

The Zero series is the hardest of the series and also full of really bad design decisions but it's still pretty alright. Also the first one is a Metroidvania, then they dropped that. They returned to Metroidvania with the ZX games which are pretty fun good, but not great, games.

The Legend games are janky as hell, but they have some charm if you can get passed their "we don't understand how to make a 3D game" ways.
Great stuff, thanks. I didn't even know there was a remake of X for the PSP.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Shelf Adventure posted:

Great stuff, thanks. I didn't even know there was a remake of X for the PSP.

If you have a PS Vita you can play it on that as well.

Megaman powered up on the other hand has been unavailable digitally since forever so you'd actually need a PSP for that.

X6 and X7 are bad Megaman games, which means they are just very Mediocre (BN and Star Force aren't really counted here since those aren't traditional formula).

Legends series is nice but its a bit of a rarity so unless you're willing to do :filez: or spend lots of money its probably not worth it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

axleblaze posted:

The PSP remake of the first doesn't add too much, but if you have a PSP it's worth checking out.

Vile Mode is worth the purchase in and of itself, in my opinion. The remake of X1 is just a bonus.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

Why on earth did you need 1000 rupees for that? I got it for just over 200.

It only took me 280 because I had to buy a joy pendant first. I didn't want to get there and have to buy a couple things and then be out of rupees and have to go out collecting rupees again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fremry posted:

It only took me 280 because I had to buy a joy pendant first. I didn't want to get there and have to buy a couple things and then be out of rupees and have to go out collecting rupees again.

I suppose it doesn't help you now, but you can totally cancel out of the auction and walk out and back in to get something new if he's not being cooperative with a certain prize.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Artix posted:

I suppose it doesn't help you now, but you can totally cancel out of the auction and walk out and back in to get something new if he's not being cooperative with a certain prize.

Yeah, I figured it out by accident while bidding on the Swift Sail.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Megaman powered up on the other hand has been unavailable digitally since forever so you'd actually need a PSP for that.

That's unfortunate they never put that on the store because Powered Up is completely fantastic. It's too bad it sold like poo poo because the only thing better than Mega Man Powered Up would have been Mega Man 2/3 Powered Up.

Emong posted:

Vile Mode is worth the purchase in and of itself, in my opinion. The remake of X1 is just a bonus.

This is true if only for how much of an utter insane rear end in a top hat they write Vile as.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

axleblaze posted:

If you hate dumb plot (or dumb storytelling in general), you should probably avoid most of the Mega Man series, especially some of the X games.

I mean, you're most likely to keep playing the BN games for the unique battle system and strong soundtrack. I'd think the worst in terms of being same-y for world navigation would be BN2, and BN1 suffers extremely due to lack of polish (and BN4's just kinda' bad), but I'd heartily recommend BN3 and BN6 to anyone who wants to try an interesting action RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vile Mode is fun but it really half-assed compared to X mode. The weapon gimmick ends up feeling kinda tedious because 70% of them are totally worthless.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I like the idea but the execution of Vile mode kinda sucks. I honestly much preferred the remake of X to playing as Vile.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I have a really stupid question, how the heck do you join a private community?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Keep in mind that while the X story may seem terrible a times, it is a continuation of the original megaman. The story goes megaman, megaman X, zero series and finaly ZX for the ds. The series was supposed to stop somewhere in X, so that series is messed up, zero and ZX are a bit better as there was no confusion to what happens next for the developers.

Zero series are really fun but tough. You'll also enjoy the music. ZX advent was the only ZX game I played and it felt too short, but it was still fun.

Legends and battle network are two completely different series and play completely differently. Legends isn't anything you'd expect but honestly I love it. Check out Chip Cheezum's LP of the first one for a good idea about the game.

The battle network series I think are fun. The gameplay is very enjoyable in my opinion, and can become very challenging towards the end. Like the X series it's story is a bit of a hit or miss as well. I mean it's all corny goofy bad plot, but some of them become really very super poo poo. I think it's 3 and 4? Whatever ones have the tourney and the meteor, don't do those two. Also battle network comea in the pokemon flavor of two versions to exchange items. It isn't necessary, so don't worry. Though the different versions tend to have different bosses and other things, so pick the one you want.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sprite141 posted:

Keep in mind that while the X story may seem terrible a times, it is a continuation of the original megaman. The story goes megaman, megaman X, zero series and finaly ZX for the ds. The series was supposed to stop somewhere in X, so that series is messed up, zero and ZX are a bit better as there was no confusion to what happens next for the developers.

Zero series are really fun but tough. You'll also enjoy the music. ZX advent was the only ZX game I played and it felt too short, but it was still fun.

Legends and battle network are two completely different series and play completely differently. Legends isn't anything you'd expect but honestly I love it. Check out Chip Cheezum's LP of the first one for a good idea about the game.

The battle network series I think are fun. The gameplay is very enjoyable in my opinion, and can become very challenging towards the end. Like the X series it's story is a bit of a hit or miss as well. I mean it's all corny goofy bad plot, but some of them become really very super poo poo. I think it's 3 and 4? Whatever ones have the tourney and the meteor, don't do those two. Also battle network comea in the pokemon flavor of two versions to exchange items. It isn't necessary, so don't worry. Though the different versions tend to have different bosses and other things, so pick the one you want.

Well, 3 has a tournament, but is generally regarded as one of the better games of the franchise. 4 meanwhile has a tournament and the meteor, which is probably what you're thinking of.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

If you hate dumb plot (or dumb storytelling in general), you should probably avoid most of the Mega Man series, especially some of the X games.

I mean, you're most likely to keep playing the BN games for the unique battle system and strong soundtrack. I'd think the worst in terms of being same-y for world navigation would be BN2, and BN1 suffers extremely due to lack of polish (and BN4's just kinda' bad), but I'd heartily recommend BN3 and BN6 to anyone who wants to try an interesting action RPG.
I thought Megaman: Network Transmission (the Gamecube game tie-in the the Battle Network games) was seriously underrated. It took a lot of the most fun elements of Battle Network and put them into a more normal Megaman game, and I loved it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Astro Nut posted:

Well, 3 has a tournament, but is generally regarded as one of the better games of the franchise. 4 meanwhile has a tournament and the meteor, which is probably what you're thinking of.

Yeah that's it! And the gamecube one wasn't terrible, but I felt it was very bland and boring.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I only got to the second Battle Network game before getting sick of it. The game does have some really strong elements but it also might have some of the worst, most drawn out fetch quests I've ever seen in anything ever and I just got rally bored wandering back and forth around identical looking areas. Maybe some day I'll go back to them but not any time soon.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

axleblaze posted:

I only got to the second Battle Network game before getting sick of it. The game does have some really strong elements but it also might have some of the worst, most drawn out fetch quests I've ever seen in anything ever and I just got rally bored wandering back and forth around identical looking areas. Maybe some day I'll go back to them but not any time soon.

It may be the fact that you elected to play the worst BN game from a mechanical standpoint and then played the one with probably the 3rd-worst map design that would be part of the problem, there. I can't blame you for trying to play the series in order, but you really shouldn't even have played 1, it's so unpolished.

Martman posted:

I thought Megaman: Network Transmission (the Gamecube game tie-in the the Battle Network games) was seriously underrated. It took a lot of the most fun elements of Battle Network and put them into a more normal Megaman game, and I loved it.
Network Transmission has an unbelievably great soundtrack (although it's somewhat harmed by a number of very rushed mixes). I wouldn't discount the amount of enjoyment you could get from the game, but it can get a little boring. The boss fights are ridiculous.

Also, yeah. Don't play 4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you've never played Battle Network and want to try it, go for either 3 or 6, those are absolutely fantastic. If you want more, consider trying 2 or 5, they're not as great, but still pretty good. Don't play 1, it's really unpolished and is so barebones compared to the rest, avoid Battle Chip Challenge because it sucks and is even MORE barebones, and avoid 4 like the motherfucking plague because it's an abomination of horrid game design and lack of polish.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ultigonio posted:

It may be the fact that you elected to play the worst BN game from a mechanical standpoint and then played the one with probably the 3rd-worst map design that would be part of the problem, there. I can't blame you for trying to play the series in order, but you really shouldn't even have played 1, it's so unpolished.

To be fair, I played 1 when it was a new game and there weren't other BN games to play. Same with 2.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh, that understandable, then. I was fortunate enough to just sort of happen upon Battle Network 3, so I didn't have to deal with 1 and 2 until I later decided to explore the series further.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For the Wii u extended battery upgrade, the nintendo store one is never in stock. Would buying an official japan one from play asia be ok or are the cheaper 3000mah ebay ones good?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Christobevii3 posted:

For the Wii u extended battery upgrade, the nintendo store one is never in stock. Would buying an official japan one from play asia be ok or are the cheaper 3000mah ebay ones good?
I bought one from play-asia and it works perfect. The ebay knockoffs are extremely hit and miss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Newest update on Mario Adventuring -

Holy hell, Super Mario World. This was the primary Mario of my childhood, and so it carries a special nostalgia kick.

I didn't have nintendo consoles when i was growing up (Had a Mega Drive and went from there to N64/PS). I always feel like i missed something special with Super Mario World and it's too late for me to play it and get the same impact :smith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was also a Genesis kid and I didn't really play through SMW (I dabbled in it from time to time but I never played through all worlds) until college but you should still play it because it's really good. Nostalgia is cool and all but it's not as cool as the actual game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kin posted:

I didn't have nintendo consoles when i was growing up (Had a Mega Drive and went from there to N64/PS). I always feel like i missed something special with Super Mario World and it's too late for me to play it and get the same impact :smith:

Ehhh, in terms of platformers, the Genesis had a lineup I'm much more fond of, and I didn't have either of those consoles growing up. I would recommend tons of platformers that generation over Super Mario World.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ultigonio posted:

[...] I would recommend tons of platformers [...] over Super Mario World.
Super Mario Bros. 3, for one. Yes, I went there :colbert:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just beat SMW, including those dastardly hard special worlds. Much easier to do now that I can watch youtube speedrunners plot a perfect course around the level.

And yeah, I think my childhood self preferred SMW to SM3 just because World wasn't so drat difficult. But super mario 3 just has more variety, and really pushes mario in new places. They're both excellent.

About a decade ago I bought a genesis and tracked down old Sonic games - they hold up incredibly well too.

My real favorite platformer was Donkey kong country, and still is. Outside of the Marios and Sonics and Donkey Kongs, what other 2d platformers really impressed you?

Rayman Legends is on the short list; it really taps into the old "one more level" itch.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Narcissus1916 posted:

My real favorite platformer was Donkey kong country, and still is. Outside of the Marios and Sonics and Donkey Kongs, what other 2d platformers really impressed you?
hoboy
My favorite non-Mario 2D platformers would probably be Rocket Knight Adventures for it's breakneck pace and great level design, Saira for its incredible atmosphere and neat puzzles, and something else that I'm forgetting right now (I feel it in my heart, though!).
As far as recent platformers that caught me off guard with how much I enjoyed them, Kirby Triple Deluxe is way up there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

About a decade ago I bought a genesis and tracked down old Sonic games - they hold up incredibly well too.

The quality of the Sonic games drops off a cliff after Sonic CD. 3D Blast and Spinball were released after Sonic CD, right?

For current platformers you can buy on the Wii U that are impressive, Shovel Knight deserves all the praise it gets and Duck Tails is a good reboot of an excellent game (and half off in the e-shop right this moment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

DKC2 will always be the best platformer ever made (for me), but if I had to choose something else, it'd probably be a tie between these two guys:

and

I still have the carts, though my genesis and snes are both long gone. I used to play the everloving poo poo out of these games. It's a real shame that both franchises just sort of dissolved after the 16-bit era. They had so much variety in them, lots of stuff to do, and were so much loving fun. Who do I need to start bribing to get these on the eshop?

poo poo, I sorta want to break out the emulator and play some right now.

• Locked thread