Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a cheapish and reliable way to branch out into Earth and/or Astral magic if I don't get any as national commanders? I desperately need to be able to throw more MR on my troops. Even with an Earth or Astral pretender, summonable E and S mages come with armies and are fairly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there a cheapish and reliable way to branch out into Earth and/or Astral magic if I don't get any as national commanders? I desperately need to be able to throw more MR on my troops. Even with an Earth or Astral pretender, summonable E and S mages come with armies and are fairly expensive.

Spectres are how I do it, since they have both Earth and Astral randoms. They're not exactly cheap, but they cost death gems which (in my case at least) you tend to have a surplus of.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there a cheapish and reliable way to branch out into Earth and/or Astral magic if I don't get any as national commanders?
Non-nationally, Spectral Mages have a decent shot at either path. D1+2x100% WESD.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Indep mages often have 1-2 levels in Astral, so expanding and then forting up + lab building in provinces with useful indies would help, too.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Would there be a way to make rainbow mages automatically site search the province they were in in their paths? Or at least have each one of them maybe auto-cast the site search spell of the path they start out in at the province they're in? Or would that be OP?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
By the way, did Illwinter ever confirm whether Dominion being capped at 10 is intentional? Because I really don't like it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Jabarto posted:

By the way, did Illwinter ever confirm whether Dominion being capped at 10 is intentional? Because I really don't like it.

yes, yes.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

This is rather neat. Splashtop is a great app.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Ilanin posted:

Would there be a way to make rainbow mages automatically site search the province they were in in their paths? Or at least have each one of them maybe auto-cast the site search spell of the path they start out in at the province they're in? Or would that be OP?
Probably not. And I'd be tenuous on using them as site searchers since they're so drat squishy. Probably be better if they have extra levels when casting rituals so you can throw up globals and use the scaling summons more effectively.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jsoh posted:

yes, yes.

And it suckkkkkkkkkkks

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Gentleman posted:

This is rather neat. Splashtop is a great app.

How well does this work without a mouse.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Watching some YT LP of Sceleria, I noticed that Sceleria priests can revive undead. More exactly, every priest owned by Sceleria (for example your normal indie priest!) can do it. Do you think it's intended to work that way? The logical thing would be for say special function to be limited to their national priests, as they are the only ones which makes sense to know how to do it. Knowing Illwinter, it could be an oversight...

Maybe I'm over-thinking this trying to put realism in a fantasy TBS, but most Dominion's systems and lore are pretty deep! :P

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 31, 2014

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Decrepus posted:

How well does this work without a mouse.

Fairly good, you can set it up to use the entire touchscreen as a touch pad, dragging the mouse around like on a laptop.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Watching some YT LP of Sceleria, I noticed that Sceleria priests can revive undead. More exactly, every priest owned by Sceleria (for example your normal indie priest!) can do it. Do you think it's intended to work that way?
Yes, and even if it weren't, it helps an incredibly dull nation do its one thing well, so whatever.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Watching some YT LP of Sceleria, I noticed that Sceleria priests can revive undead. More exactly, every priest owned by Sceleria (for example your normal indie priest!) can do it. Do you think it's intended to work that way? The logical thing would be for say special function to be limited to their national priests, as they are the only ones which makes sense to know how to do it. Knowing Illwinter, it could be an oversight...
Lanka can do it too.

Except they get zombie monkeys, so it's better.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if that Youtube LP is going to show it off, Turin, but one thing that makes a pretty incredible difference to how good Scelaria is now is the Amulet of the Dead artifact that any Thaumaturg can forge for 5 gems at Constr-4. Means you get two more of whatever you're summoning, which on an H2 priest (Thaumaturgs and quite a few indies) means you go from 1+ Longdead Horseman (boo) to 3+ (hurray!).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe I'm over-thinking this trying to put realism in a fantasy TBS, but most Dominion's systems and lore are pretty deep! :P

It is completely intentional and is in fact one of the selling features of the nation. You will note that while all of Sceleria's priests can reanimate undead none of them can preach. Sceleria has a nation tag that swaps preaching for reanimation and it is explicitly part of the nation's design.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

It is completely intentional and is in fact one of the selling features of the nation. You will note that while all of Sceleria's priests can reanimate undead none of them can preach. Sceleria has a nation tag that swaps preaching for reanimation and it is explicitly part of the nation's design.

quote:

You will note that while all of Sceleria's priests can reanimate undead

Oh, but my issue was that: it isn't "Sceleria's priests" the ones who can reanimate, in the game is "priests owned by Sceleria", like national priests and indie priests and any other one. Obviously if changed they would have to buff the nation elsewhere. I know I'm being slightly anal with this :P

BTW, I just checked it, and you can preach with Sceleria priests, both national and indie ones.

edit: holy poo poo blessed Shadow Vestals are a good expansion force. At least against indies they perform as almost twice as expensive dudes from other nations.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 31, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

edit: holy poo poo blessed Shadow Vestals are a good expansion force. At least against indies they perform as almost twice as expensive dudes from other nations.
Yeah, they really are. And they're still useful later in the game, because the nation's Holy spells are incredible at buffing them, plus you have the paths to cast Antimagic and so on to keep them from getting too spammed down with Banishment (plus a gigantic communion of mages casting Apostasy will actually gut a priest-mage line kind of reliably, and that's available with only 50rps!)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, but my issue was that: it isn't "Sceleria's priests" the ones who can reanimate, in the game is "priests owned by Sceleria", like national priests and indie priests and any other one. Obviously if changed they would have to buff the nation elsewhere. I know I'm being slightly anal with this :P

BTW, I just checked it, and you can preach with Sceleria priests, both national and indie ones.

Well they're priests of Sceleria's religion. Maybe they get taught necromancy at priest college.

I think it's the undead ones that can't preach.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, if indie priests couldn't do the same things as national priests, there would be no reason to recruit them.

Also. I remember only the H3 priests being able to reanimate horsemen. Did that change in 3 -> 4?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It sure did.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
People regularly recruit plain indy priests?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FnF posted:

If said nation can do something special with priests then yes (Just look at the current lp to show a good example of it).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FnF posted:

If you need priests... that way you don't "waste" turns in provinces that should be focusing on recruiting mages.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

If you need priests... that way you don't "waste" turns in provinces that should be focusing on recruiting mages.

Pretty much. It's worth it on an early turn, if you got nothing better to do, to temple up an indie priest province with your prophet, that way you can recruit H1s semi-regularly for even more temples/light preaching/some banishment.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm... not sure that "unexpected" is precisely the right word here.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I really don't want to know what a Mictlan nun looks like

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's a period joke somewhere, I just can't find it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've been having mixed luck with short swords. On Raven Guard and Agarthan Infantry, they seem really crappy even if the latter has daggers. Levite Zealots on the other hand rip poo poo apart with them.
Any reason why?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zealots have high attack and high morale to aid against repel attempts, probably.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Why did a book icon appear over one of my provinces?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Kanthulhu posted:

Why did a book icon appear over one of my provinces?

It's a "Story Event" there sound be a message associated with it. It will either they you what to do or you can ask us about what the story steps are.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Speleothing posted:

It's a "Story Event" there sound be a message associated with it. It will either they you what to do or you can ask us about what the story steps are.

What are the steps?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Like "Old Man Jenkins has had problems getting his toilet to flush. Perhaps a water mage can investigate further?" and then you send a water mage to the province and a turn later, a water elemental comes to attack you or something. Then after a few turns later, you find out that a magical treasure (bottle of living water) was stuck in his plumbing system.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Like "Old Man Jenkins has had problems getting his toilet to flush. Perhaps a water mage can investigate further?" and then you send a water mage to the province and a turn later, a water elemental comes to attack you or something. Then after a few turns later, you find out that a magical treasure (bottle of living water) was stuck in his plumbing system.

And usually the rewards are trivial and not at all worth the mage turns spent chasing them. But there are a handful of good ones.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
When I am setting up a PBEM game with a thrones of ascension victory condition, how do I know how many you need to win? Is there a general rule like 2 thrones per player, or do people not really use this setting?

I mean for setting up a multiplayer game with thrones victory, not how to capture them during the game. I have the option of ascension points and number of levels of thrones. I am not sure what is a good amount of these to set up in the game settings.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 1, 2014

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
You just have to send a mage and leave it there?

The message said something about one of the "old mages of ermor" would know something about an Ancient Temple that appeared there. I don't recall the exact messages.

I'm playing M.A. Ermor vs the computer so I would like to go after the useless rewards just for kicks but I don't know what exactly to do in the province.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

dis astranagant posted:

And usually the rewards are trivial and not at all worth the mage turns spent chasing them. But there are a handful of good ones.

Yeah the free permanent path ones are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

HELLO I made an attempt at sorting out pretender balance! I think it's probably as good as it can get without making hugely radical changes that would be way more effort than I am willing to put into things right now.

The changelog is sort of massive and incredibly poorly worded, but I have not exactly been sober when I've been making it and english is my 3rd/4th language so oh well!!

Big List Of Changes

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/pudmod%20pretenders%200_02.rar

• Locked thread