Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Do JBs use T-ATK or S-ATK? Wanna know if there's any reason to invest in switch stance if I'm just going to tech and use JB PAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Jet Boots use Tatk by default.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Switch stance is mostly for dual blade mains who want to gently caress around occasionally.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Switch stance is mostly for dual blade mains who want to gently caress around occasionally.

Wait, can you have switch stance up while having element/break stance up as well?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did the daily orders always offer stupid amounts of money compared to other client orders and I just hadn't noticed?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Nah that's a new change, they were trying to get people to do other things besides Tacos for money. And thank god for that.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Saagonsa posted:

Wait, can you have switch stance up while having element/break stance up as well?

It's actually switch strike, it's a toggle like wand lovers instead of a stance.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
So I just realized all of you people play on the same ship that I do. I feel stupid now, because for some reason I thought you were all on Ship 10, not Ship 2.

I'm an autist who likes to grind craftchievos, and I've currently got 7-9* and 10* striking extensions fully unlocked. Just yell at me if you need my services; my player ID is the same as my forum name.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone actually do crafting requests? That's one area of the game I haven't explored at all, since all I know is my requests list is always empty.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

Chain Trigger got good buffs via Twice Chain and Chain F Bonus, and the Zero Range Critical; the S.Roll JA of Crits, is now not buried under 25 SP in prerequisites.

Give Gunner another look, I think you will find that it is still a good class to play.

Yeah, I have all of those but I still feel like I'm only really doing 'good' damage against bosses due to chain and WB since I always play GU/RA when I play Gunner. The damage output compared to my other character who is a fi/hu hu/fi just makes me sad. It just feels like Gunner got hit the hardest during the EP3 changes. :(

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

SL the Pyro posted:

So I just realized all of you people play on the same ship that I do. I feel stupid now, because for some reason I thought you were all on Ship 10, not Ship 2.

I'm an autist who likes to grind craftchievos, and I've currently got 7-9* and 10* striking extensions fully unlocked. Just yell at me if you need my services; my player ID is the same as my forum name.

There's only like two people on ship 10, man. Actually, I think I'm the only one there now.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Devour or Fire posted:

They're going to bring back range mags and tech mags from PSU and have them work like Gundam funnels, it'll be called controller or puppeter or something.

I'd never play anything else.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone actually do crafting requests? That's one area of the game I haven't explored at all, since all I know is my requests list is always empty.
Depends. You can put up popular crafting recipes (which require a lot of achievement grinding to unlock) and you might get some pubbies who happen to come across your crafting advertisement and don't want to do the grind themselves. You better have the "Ex Maker 3" and "Tech Maker 3" (the ones that boost great success rates) sitting in your room or they'll notice you don't have them and pass you up on the craft request.

Simply put, it's usually not worth the effort unless you're strictly trying to be self-sufficient, then it's a possible bonus on the side.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Samurai Sanders posted:

I occasionally have gotten some requests since I have gotten to some of the Rank 3 Ice Techs, but I am still working to unlock the rest.

one of my goals WAS Ice Fang Barta 3 so I do have that now for anyone looking to get it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Every time I start playing this again I wonder why I stopped, it's always surprisingly fun.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Attack advance is definitely the best new skill.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Assuming one isn't living in Japan, is there any way to get Arks Cash without getting ripped off by the arks layer site? I tried signing up for the bitcash site, but they demand the input of a keitai email :rolleyes: and of course don't recognize international addresses or even names with roman letters :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so I'm assuming a non-japanese credit card isn't going to work.

*Just found a guide here: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/purchasing-arks-cash-in-phantasy-star-online-2-japan/

Now if everything wasn't so ridiculously expensive!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Assuming one isn't living in Japan, is there any way to get Arks Cash without getting ripped off by the arks layer site? I tried signing up for the bitcash site, but they demand the input of a keitai email :rolleyes: and of course don't recognize international addresses or even names with roman letters :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so I'm assuming a non-japanese credit card isn't going to work.

*Just found a guide here: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/purchasing-arks-cash-in-phantasy-star-online-2-japan/

Now if everything wasn't so ridiculously expensive!

That guide is super old and no longer necessary. You can just buy Arks Cash straight from PSO2es with an Android phone/Bluestacks emulator.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Is it actually that good?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

is it only for braver weapons? because that sounds it would work pretty well with wands.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drythe posted:

Is it actually that good?

I don't know if it's any good for katanas, but it's great for bows and launchers.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I wouldn't think so, since katana have pretty short range, and the PAs all this extremely hard and/or have better reach and some kind of added benefit like hyperarmor or knockdown. They also regen PP really fast, so you rarely need to spam normal attacks long enough for it to make noticeable difference.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Katana actually have a pretty retarded invisible range, especially the step attack. .

I like it as a hunter since their weapons all hit comparatively hard already and partisans still have pp problems.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I'm going to attempt to get into this. Have a while to wait on the download, but I think I managed to get registered for everything. After reading what's been presented, I have an urge to be a punchy-fist robot who can also kick things (Fighter/bouncer). Is that a dumb thing to go for?

Edit: Also, assuming I get everything working, what ship/server block/whatever should I go for? I saw Ship 2, block 20 mentioned, but apparently there's some kind of Escape from Ellis Island stuff going on there in terms of the community?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 1, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fi/Bo would work pretty well I think. That being said you can pretty much do whatever you want unless it's something like Te/Ra.

Ship 2, yes. Blocks are just lobbies within a ship (server). B20 is where reddit and PSO-World hang out, ERP and share hentai symbol arts. Don't go there. Even the Japanese players know to avoid it at all costs, especially when it's time for an Emergency Quest.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Glenn565 posted:

That guide is super old and no longer necessary. You can just buy Arks Cash straight from PSO2es with an Android phone/Bluestacks emulator.

Oh well, on second thought I decided that spending a bunch of money for basic inventory upgrades in a game that has IP blocked the entire world except Japan is probably not a good idea.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fi/Bo would work pretty well I think. That being said you can pretty much do whatever you want unless it's something like Te/Ra.

Ship 2, yes. Blocks are just lobbies within a ship (server). B20 is where reddit and PSO-World hang out, ERP and share hentai symbol arts. Don't go there. Even the Japanese players know to avoid it at all costs, especially when it's time for an Emergency Quest.

See, stuff like that is what kind of worries me. I can understand, conceptually, why that might be a bad character. Techs get magic stuff, rangers get ranged physical stuff, so unless they have skills that overlap or complement each other that's kind of a waste. What I don't have is any idea of what skills complement each other or what they even do. Is there a babbie's first PSO2 gameplay experience guide or something out there?

On the other hand, if respecs can be acquired for free and the in-game information is..informative enough, I suppose I can wait.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Respecs are not free. They are like $5.

My advice would be to look over the available skills (there's a skill simulator here: http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/ [it's down right now but the guy is looking into fixing it]) and just ask questions here. Once the site is back up, you can create a build and link it here and people can give you feedback.

e: vvvvv - Yeah, there's also that skill simulator. The one I linked is in English, so it's probably the preferred one (once it is back up).

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 1, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's a skill builder for Episode 3, but it's in Japanese. Google Translate works well enough to get the hint across: http://pso2skillsimulator.com/simulator/

Basically, Fighter's stances boost T-ATK as well as S/R-ATK, making Fighter a good combination with Techer and Bouncer, who are both a mix of S and T-ATK types. They also excel with critical skills (for all crits matter in this game :v:), which Bouncer also has stuff for.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Find a class/weapon you like mechanically first while maybe spend early skill points on gear skills to get the most out of them, after that you choose from like 1-3 subclasses that mostly just give a bunch of passive damage boosts that work with you.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
A skill simulator is the exact thing that would be most helpful. I'll wait until the English one comes back up. It looks like neither fighters nor bouncers are unlocked right from the start, but Braver might unlock both at level 20, so I guess I'll start there.

Are classes kept separate in terms of leveling? Like going from Hunter level 1 to 2 will be equally fast regardless of if I'm a fresh character or if I have a level 50 whatever and I'm subbing to fighter? Are skill points (or whatever you use on skills) handled the same way?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Buried alive posted:

A skill simulator is the exact thing that would be most helpful. I'll wait until the English one comes back up. It looks like neither fighters nor bouncers are unlocked right from the start, but Braver might unlock both at level 20, so I guess I'll start there.

Are classes kept separate in terms of leveling? Like going from Hunter level 1 to 2 will be equally fast regardless of if I'm a fresh character or if I have a level 50 whatever and I'm subbing to fighter? Are skill points (or whatever you use on skills) handled the same way?

I'm pretty sure with Episode 3 they changed it so you had all the classes at the start, but you can't subclass until 20 or something.

Also yeah, classes are fully separate with regards to levels, EXP and SP.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Oh snap, really? In that case, the sooner that skill sim comes back up the better.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Short bit of info for daily boosts since it wasnt covered in the thread much.

Every day, the recommended quest changes, and will have 3 client orders tied to it. These can be done on any difficulty and in addition to some small cash, will give you a 3% triboost when you clear it. This triboost stacks up to 30% with each boost daily you do, and drops down 3% every 24 hours you go without increasing it. So if you keep doing your daily quests, you can keep up a permanent 30% increase to your xp, meseta, and rare drop rates.

It's also worth noting that despite the name, there is no time limit in how long you take to complete or turn in a daily once you accept it. If you don't have time that day to play through and get your cash/boosts, just clear some space on your client orders, accept the dailies, and then do them when you got the time.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even the Japanese players know to avoid it at all costs, especially when it's time for an Emergency Quest.
It's funny because even the B20 lobby loiterers know not to stay there when it's time for an emergency quest, then they go and be terrible across all the other blocks. v:v:v

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I am in this thing as SpaceCowboyBot. If you see me, say hello.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Started playing this today. It was a massive pain in the rear end to get set up, but it was worth it. This game is loving awesome. I just got into a fight with some anime mascot thing with a sword, and then afterwards a huge rear end bug decided to drop in and say "Hi, I'm here to murder your face in"

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So I'm still chugging along on this idea of Bouncer/Fighter. Any recommendations for my mag? Dex and S-Atk are both standing out as things to focus on, but I'd like to make sure before I commit to feeding my mag like crazy.

Also where the hell do you get crafting recipes?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Go full S-atk with as little dex as possible. You get recipes from doing craft achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Helpful! So how do I get started with crafting? I'm trying to do all these Arks road card things, and I couldn't figure out how to actually extend a weapon despite having all the materials and such for it. Also, how do I actually apply a room theme to my room?

What's the deal with dex anyway? Does it just boost damage for ranged weapons? I see a dex boost rating on all my PA's, but I'm not really sure what it's for.

• Locked thread