Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

No, like, I swear either an episode of Thumbs or an interview with Steve or- poo poo I just realized I mixed up two studios. Whoops. Nevermind.

I was thinking of an interview with Steve where they said that Fullbright was probably going to have a shared universe but not in a blatant "AND HERE'S WHAT SHELLY IS UP TO NOW" thing, but you might see snippets of an older character, or a reference made in one game to some name becomes a PC or more important figure in another.

This is probably what your were thinking about : http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/22/gone-home-developer-outlines-links-with-bioshock-system-shock/

There is also a Christmas Duck in The Walking Dead Season 2, so it is possible that game could be added to the Gone Homiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HMS Boromir posted:

Probably because it's from one of those lovely "satirical" news websites that just posts fake news with no actual joke attached.

SWATing is a real thing that has happened.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phone posted:

SWATing is a real thing that has happened.

I think he's talking about that actual quote, not swatting as a thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you know swatting is a real thing, though, that story seems completely plausible at least in the US; I can easily see one of those bogus calls leading to someone being shot to death or something and then the law coming down like a ton of bricks on the crank caller and prosecuting them for murder.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you know swatting is a real thing, though, that story seems completely plausible at least in the US; I can easily see one of those bogus calls leading to someone being shot to death or something and then the law coming down like a ton of bricks on the crank caller and prosecuting them for murder.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...al-consequences

quote:

A prolific phone hacker, Weigman and nine co-conspirators used social engineering and other scams to obtain personal information, impersonate and harass telecommunications employees, and manipulate phone systems to carry out dozens of swatting incidents, along with other crimes. Several of his co-conspirators also received jail time.

Weigman’s first swatting incident occurred in 2004 when he was 14 years old. When a girl he met through an online chat room refused to have phone sex with him, he retaliated by swatting the girl and her father, convincing a 9-1-1 operator he was holding the two at gunpoint in their Colorado home, which prompted a SWAT response.
Emphasis mine. Seems pretty light-handed to me to cause that many people to be held at gunpoint and potentially shot (and likely waste tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money wasted, not to mention personal property destroyed during the raid - which the pranked individuals were probably still liable for rather than the police), after conspiring to steal personal information from multiple sources before putting them at very real risk of harm, as well as potential jail time if the cops broke in while they were actually in the middle of a crime.

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/twitch-streamer-pot-stash-whiteboy7hst/ How do you feel about this one? A person had a prank SWAT call on them, now he's got a felony on his record for being the recipient.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 31, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

:allears:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It's true. It can involve bishops, horses and all kinds of other poo poo. Not to mention pawns that have turned into queens. :v:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You can hop multiple pieces to advance across the board, but soon you'll find yourself doubled in size and walking backwards. Checkers and balances. #GamerGate

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 31, 2014

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

The queen exists to die for the king?

hosed up.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Shoe is the single most powerful piece on the board, but it cannot pass Go alone.

Dice are the soul of #GamerGate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wanted to do a Mouse Trap analogy, but it kinda fell flat.

So I'll leave you with a genuine piece of Twitter wisdom:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mierenneuker posted:

I hope someone else appreciates this (pun?) - I never once in all the times I tried to play mouse trap, actually trapped the mouse - the poo poo always broke because it was shoddy and cheap, and the rules seemed to imply that if the rube-goldberg contraption didn't work right then it was our fault and to try again and allow that player to skip free, from what I can recall of my third-grade school years.

edit:

quote:

If the trap operates correctly, the opposing mouse will be captured and the player owning it will be out of the game. Any Cheese Cards held by the captured player must be turned over to you. If the trap fails, the opposing player immediately moves his mouse to the SAFE space.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 31, 2014

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

But the MRA's are also encountering enemies, how can both sides be going the right way?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The MRAs are playing a game where it turns out they're the baddies, but because they kept skipping through the dialogues they missed the plot (twist).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Go is a game about denying liberty. Black moves first but white has the final word. #stupidfuckingbullshit

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

This... doesn't make sense. You can apply to this logic to any group of person and in a lot of cases it is not a good thing. I really feel for her because of all the dumb harassment thrown her, and other women's, way for no good reason whatsoever but she does have an inflated sense of self-importance. I'm glad that more under represented groups are getting into making games but she's by no means a pioneer.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jimbot posted:

This... doesn't make sense. You can apply to this logic to any group of person and in a lot of cases it is not a good thing. I really feel for her because of all the dumb harassment thrown her, and other women's, way for no good reason whatsoever but she does have an inflated sense of self-importance. I'm glad that more under represented groups are getting into making games but she's by no means a pioneer.

You're over-thinking it. It's not supposed to be some grand catch-all wisdom thing, just a statement of 'I'm still standing'.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Guys... http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2f233w/zoe_quinn_false_flag_at_pax/

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I was JUST about to post that.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I can't decide what part of that is my favorite, but one of the moderators for that subreddit being named "ArchangellePedophile" has to be up there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Also judging from Danielle's twitter I guess she won't be at the Idle Thumbs panel today? :(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sober posted:

Also judging from Danielle's twitter I guess she won't be at the Idle Thumbs panel today? :(

Pax isn't exactly a friendly space for people like her.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I wonder how much it would take to hook these guys up with Alex Jones.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I just spent way too long browsing that reddit and now I want to die.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Beard Yawn posted:

I just spent way too long browsing that reddit and now I want to die.

It's amazing how many different shades of dumbdumb there are. The OP to the "moderates" who think that this is exactly what "they" want and they need to bide their time to the cautiously optimistic people who are saying that, "Just in case this is true, make sure you have your cameras around." Just amazing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I am glad to see so many comments calling bullshit though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the most terrifying part for me is easily the calm levelheadedness of some of those people in the face of this completely ludicrous thing. If everyone was just yelling or making posts like the "Make sure you save this just in case it happens. It will help us bring her down." guy then you'd chalk it up to online craziness, but seeing people actually think about how they shouldn't call an emergency line and should just be there to document this absolutely mind-blowingly fake hypothetical situation because they think it might actually happen is nuts. Like, how deep do you have to be into the GamerGate crazy well to just accept poo poo like this as totally plausible. :psyduck:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If you want to be a cynical bastard, some of them might be less 'being duped' and more 'pretending to go along with it' to encourage others not to call the authorities if Zoe Quinn was indeed to be assaulted.

edit: after looking at the site myself, I'm going back more towards 'they're all dumb as poo poo'. One of their supporters made a parody 'I'm leaving the internet due to harassment' video and 90% of them can't figure out it's a parody and think she was actually harassed.

edit2: Seriously, what loving world do these people live in?

quote:

anonymous death and rape threats against both genders are as old as the printing press. most normal, well-grounded people don't feel the need to be a professional victim.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 31, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sean sounds really different when he isn't on a condenser microphone.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's been said, but the engine behind this whole Quinn issue is "a woman had sex (!!!) and it wasn't with me." I'm currently covering PAX, and I ducked into the Game Industry Rumble for a bit to check out what it was, because I've never attended it in the past. If these shitlords had any consistency, panels like this would be their 9/11: It's nothing but journos and devs, palling around and throwing inside jokes at each other for 90 minutes while a rowdy audience cheers them on. It's harmless, of course, but it's an explicit display that, yes, people from both sides of the industry have close relationships with each other.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Sober posted:

Yeah I don't blame her in the slightest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Al! posted:

Pax isn't exactly a friendly space for people like her.
That makes it loving sad because it is the premiere (if not only real) place for fans to converge. That's really loving lovely if PAX of all places (despite never great at handling certain things) can't set a good example.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

The OP was deleted. Dare I ask what it was about?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bobservo posted:

I think it's been said, but the engine behind this whole Quinn issue is "a woman had sex (!!!) and it wasn't with me." I'm currently covering PAX, and I ducked into the Game Industry Rumble for a bit to check out what it was, because I've never attended it in the past. If these shitlords had any consistency, panels like this would be their 9/11: It's nothing but journos and devs, palling around and throwing inside jokes at each other for 90 minutes while a rowdy audience cheers them on. It's harmless, of course, but it's an explicit display that, yes, people from both sides of the industry have close relationships with each other.

I think a pretty big giveaway that most of the #GamerGate people don't actually understand what they're complaining about is the fact that GiantBomb has barely been mentioned. Those guys are better friends with and have had more content with developers in it than probably any other site, yet people are bitching about sites like Kotaku and Polygon. If you want to complain about developer/journalist shenanigans at least pick the site that's openly proud of their close relationships with devs (because Jeff knows that if you're a reasonable adult you'll understand that it isn't actually a big deal).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TinKelp posted:

The OP was deleted. Dare I ask what it was about?
That Zoe Quinn was going to PAX and was going to organize an assault on herself that she herself planned to make terrible gamers look bad.

Conspiracy theory level insanity, basically.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
https://twitter.com/Danielleri/status/505997480756920320

:laffo:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

VDay posted:

I think a pretty big giveaway that most of the #GamerGate people don't actually understand what they're complaining about is the fact that GiantBomb has barely been mentioned. Those guys are better friends with and have had more content with developers in it than probably any other site, yet people are bitching about sites like Kotaku and Polygon. If you want to complain about developer/journalist shenanigans at least pick the site that's openly proud of their close relationships with devs (because Jeff knows that if you're a reasonable adult you'll understand that it isn't actually a big deal).

In fairness to the crazies, Giantbomb doesn't strive towards impartial journalism the majority of the time. They're predominantly an entertainment site. And when they're been exceptionally close to a developer (Bastion being the example that leaps to mind) they've actively refused to review the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Giantbomb also has a tendency to dismiss people as assholes and ignore them instead of engaging, and also when you're a bunch of white dudes that are engaged and invested enough in the AAA side of the business (~not that there's anything wrong with that~) it becomes hard to paint them as part of the secret hipster feminist queer cabal destroying fine videogames.

They do occasionally pop up on those "AROUND GAMES JOURNALISTS NEVER RELAX" corkboard conspiracy images, though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also earlier I saw some guy compare this whole thing to the Arab Spring. Who the gently caress are these people? Do they not understand what the words they use mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This people is not honest guys!

• Locked thread