Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Szmitten posted:

Also, this discussion might be better for the gamers.txt thread rather than here.

Funnily enough gamers.txt got gassed for turning into a GBS thread about Zoe Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Szmitten posted:

"Playing video games" is as much a hobby as "watching movies" or "reading books" i.e they're pretty prolific and as such there are assholes in all walks of life. The bigger issue is that video games are still a young and immature industry, inside and outside: the audience is mainly kids and teenagers, and those that stick with it into adulthood might remain somewhat immature (there are also plenty of grown-ups who play games a lot and aren't weird about it); devs are also starting kinda young but even as they age they're still often marketing towards a younger audience, even the oldest-and-still-working developers are entering their sixties and they're typically still aren't making games geared exclusively towards people their own age.

Some people just don't believe that video games aren't an insular thing anymore. I'm pretty sure the tide is changing and what we've been seeing the last few years are the final death throes of a few loud sticks in the mud who are still clinging desperately to their rock until they inevitably give up or go with the flow and keep a lid on it.

They also take the enthusiast press way too loving seriously. And they shouldn't. Yeah, Ebert or Kermode said/say a lot of interesting things, but they're still just guys writing their own opinion pieces, they're not the paragon gatekeepers of the entire industry they write about.

Also, this discussion might be better for the gamers.txt thread rather than here.

I just wanna make Mario jump on a goomba.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

weird bleep posted:

I just wanna make Mario jump on a goomba.

Too bad youtube lady and obama made videogames illegal.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Too bad youtube lady and obama made videogames illegal.

I'm still playing them. :twisted:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

Funnily enough gamers.txt got gassed for turning into a GBS thread about Zoe Quinn.

Ah, I'm out of the loop. :v:

Pax is happening, right? Have Idle Thumbs/Campo Santo shown off Firewatch yet?

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Szmitten posted:

Ah, I'm out of the loop. :v:

Pax is happening, right? Have Idle Thumbs/Campo Santo shown off Firewatch yet?

The moment I read your post they tweeted:

quote:

Good morning! We're two and a half hours away from our Firewatch panel and trailer. Can you even stand it? Watch at http://blog.camposanto.com

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

TetsuoTW posted:

b-b-b-b-but you're being intolerant of my intolerance :qq:

This made me giggle. It's all horrid but there's a lot of comedy, albeit dark, to be had. If you're a Kurt Vonnegut, Four Lions, Shawn Elliot fan. Those YouTube videos for a start, especially the camp Kane.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SoulChicken posted:

Those YouTube videos for a start, especially the camp Kane.
The funniest moment in that video, for me, was the moment I realized this is a cultivated image. Gropey LaVey chose to dress like that, talk like that, light his videos like that, clumsily fumble with his backward zippo and cigarette like that. Well, maybe not the "clumsily" part. At least the other turbogoon just kind of pointed his laptop's webcam at himself and talked. Mini Mystery there tried.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Forums Barber posted:

wow, that's disgusting that you would wish failure in life towards someone because they weren't as polite as you require them to be on Facebook. I really don't understand where you're coming from here. It's certainly not very tolerant, why not turn the other cheek?
Now you're just putting words in my mouth.

I'm not "wishing failure in life" on someone however, there are consequences to one's actions and words, and it's short-sighted and naive to expect that in an age where you can speak to potentially tens of thousands of people instantly about anything you like, that there would be no cause and effect association between those words and later opinions of you based on such statements.

HMS Boromir posted:

Maybe it's some kind of weird privilege showing on my part but I would not describe myself as "an X" with regards to any of my hobbies, I'd just say "I like to fish on the weekends and in my spare time I cultivate a garden in my back yard." or whatever and if someone responds with "Ugh, you're one of those gardeners, I hear they're all arsonists and cat murderers." I would just stop talking to that person because they're an idiot.
I can understand and see your point, but my hobbies do shape my perspectives and behaviors in many ways whether I'm aware of them or not, just as a black person has a whole set of experiences that shape them as a whole, even if they personally don't "act black" or "dress black" and the like. It reminds me a bit of the old "Angry Eyes" film on Kate Elliot's Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes experiments/demonstrations on unseen privilege.

As a response to the "well *I* don't see you as a person of color, I see you as just a person," justification many people will claim to defend their status of not-being-a-racist, she would make a point in every class she taught and every show she went onto, to (usually with a tall black man and a small white woman as easy examples as her basic focus was on racism) have two people stand side by side, and then begin asking the black man "do you feel proud of being tall? Of being black? Of being a man? Do you feel it shapes you as a person and affects your life?" And they would say "well of course, I'm proud of who I am and have no reason to be, and it's certainly an important part of my self-identity".

The point she was trying to make was that, to assert that you are looking past the differences in people, is to really see them as you see yourself, rather than someone who really does have different experiences and identity than you are, and that by claim that one "looked past the differences" was to insult their identity.

The point is, differences are real, and need to be celebrated and respected, rather than ignored. Not identifying yourself as a sum of your parts is to ignore reality, and in a way, it might be being dishonest with onesself.

Perhaps the real key is that anyone who only does one thing, hangs out in one space with one group of people, or who only identifies themselves in one way, is fundamentally going to have a skewed outlook on life, and similarly different behaviors than others who do a whole range of things. For instance in my personal experience interacting with people of the two hobbies I mentioned, people who spend all their free time gardening or thinking about it, too much are certainly going to behave in a certain way and have certain outlooks for instance (let's say, they tend toward being earthy and hippyish in a lot of ways.) People who spend all their free time fishing certainly have a whole set of behaviors and actions as well (most people with an "I'd rather be fishing" or "Wife wanted me to quit fishing or she'd leave me" type stickers on their cars, tend to have a certain outlook on life and certain political beliefs as well.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 30, 2014

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Well thought out points Coyo7e, thanks for that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

The funniest moment in that video, for me, was the moment I realized this is a cultivated image. Gropey LaVey chose to dress like that, talk like that, light his videos like that, clumsily fumble with his backward zippo and cigarette like that. Well, maybe not the "clumsily" part. At least the other turbogoon just kind of pointed his laptop's webcam at himself and talked. Mini Mystery there tried.

That bald guy in that loving getup with the cigarette is concentrated unlikeable. Like, all he needs is some racism on top, and he's basically the most revolting person on the planet.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Like, all he needs is some racism on top, and he's basically the most revolting person on the planet.

Having checked out his blog out of morbid curiosity, there's plenty of racism there too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

That bald guy in that loving getup with the cigarette is concentrated unlikeable. Like, all he needs is some racism on top, and he's basically the most revolting person on the planet.
Well boy howdy do I have a treat for you! Apparently Kane there associates himself with, and I poo poo you not this is what they actually call it, the "Dark Enlightenment". Check out the "Positions" section in particular, and prepare to be utterly unsurprised.

(The short version is they're Silicon Valley Libertarians crossed with Free Republic).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I guess he is literally satan then

Edit: God drat it, they're actually trying to rebrand racism as "human biodiversity", this poo poo is unreal.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 30, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Well boy howdy do I have a treat for you! Apparently Kane there associates himself with, and I poo poo you not this is what they actually call it, the "Dark Enlightenment". Check out the "Positions" section in particular, and prepare to be utterly unsurprised.

quote:

Political authoritarianism
Desire to return to monarchy or aristocracy
Admiration of fascism

you don't say

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SoulChicken posted:

Well thought out points Coyo7e, thanks for that.
Thank you. I watched some stuff on Jane Elliot years ago in school and kind of glossed over it however I've personnally grappling with whether or not it's worth staying on SA (and continuing to care about and play videogames) at all recently and attmpted to branch out my horizons in all sorts of directions lately. Then, with all of this stuff going on in Ferguson, and seeing strong paralells between the "police mentality" and then the recent stuff coming to a head in the greater videogame sphere, and then personally running into a lot of really strange and awful behavior in various corners of the internet or outside life where a small group had sort of calcified and no longer spent any time having conversations and broadening their expectations, but rather it was just s "good ol' boys' club" where newcomers who show up with outside opinions or "unacceptably stupid" questions are pretty much run out of town after being tarred and feathered.

I watched a couple of different videos of her teaching a class on her theories, or showing up on Oprah in the 90s and really just tearing into a white dad who wouldn't allow his daughters to date interracially, for instance. She claims that she's done business workshops and had people literally assault her or pull a weapon on her, and frankly I can see why, and it shook up a lot of stuff I personally had believed I had worked past and felt that I was "above" exhibiting consciously or not.

If anyone hasn't seen this, it's really a shocking and cutting commentary - the first couple minutes are stock footage of MLK and her 50s stuff with grade schoolers but then she walks into a college classroom setting and proceeds to really shock and upset half of the class, including making people burst into tears and ragequit the discussion and classroom - and then continues on to use them as part of the example of why what she's bringing up is important ie "that girl gets to leave the room. People who are discriminated against in their day to day life never get to stand up and walk out - it's going to follow them every day of their life."

http://youtu.be/-SpF3cwJ86A?t=43s (I skipped the first 40 seconds or so because it's stock footage which some people may see them as "triggers.")

As to why I might consider MLK and some 50s stock footage someone may have seen before somewhere as "triggers, was a paper I read recently on "white fragility" (here's a link to the paper, if you care to read the entire article that's fine but you can glean the important points in 20 seconds of reading the abstract http://libjournal.uncg.edu/index.php/ijcp/article/view/249 ) and I took the "fragility" and extended it in my own mind, to emcompass any setting where one group has power and uses all kinds of lovely and deceptive behaviors to shut down all outside views and/or parties - including my own reaction to outside arguments or persepctives in many conversations and interactions with other people and ideas. I've seen demonstrable behavior along these lines recently in most online discussions on, well, every subject under the sun... :smith:

Ultimately, my decision about whether or not to stop playing games and/or posting on SA, was concluded with "if I leave, then the shitheads win, and it will continue to tarnish the reputation of these things for anyone who is an outside observer." While fishing and hunting, I run into all kinds of ignorant jerks who act like internet trolls when politely and respectfully confronted with an outside opinion, and I wouldn't quit fishing or hunting just because there are a lot of assholes, either. It can be hard, stressful, personally painful to deal with these kinds of "trolls" yet, the only way to improve things is by reacting "non-violently", essentially. I'm by no means perfect, but I can try to improve.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 30, 2014

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

good lord

anyway, Campo Santo coming up on the pax2 stream in ~20 minutes! Rodkin fighting!!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm actually curious what the air is like at PAX Prime what with all the hubbabaloo going on recently.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Sober posted:

I'm actually curious what the air is like at PAX Prime what with all the hubbabaloo going on recently.

95% of PAX has probably never heard of Zoe Quinn.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

95% of PAX has probably never heard of Zoe Quinn.

There will be some poo poo heads, I'm sure. This is the first year I'm not going (because the Penny Arcade guys are shitheads) and last year there were some dickwolf incidents that I witnessed, without looking for them.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Firewatch looks rad as heck.

Through Twitter, I asked the Thumbs if Hernry was voiced by Rich Sommer and Chris faved it SO I TAKE THAT AS CONFIRMATION!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RetroHelix posted:

Firewatch looks rad as heck.

Through Twitter, I asked the Thumbs if Hernry was voiced by Rich Sommer and Chris faved it SO I TAKE THAT AS CONFIRMATION!

Good catch, I knew I'd heard that voice before.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Yeah, Rich Sommer is a great actor. I've watched a ton of Mad Men so I have everyone's voices laser-etched into my brain. I'm preeeeeetty sure it's him.

Anyway, watch the Friewatch trailer. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02lhvvVSy8

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
drat if that is Rich Sommer that is pretty amazing. Love the thumbs chat when they bring up Mad Men too so I bet for them it's a big deal.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
I want to see the gif they mentioned of the book from Gone Home being stomped on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sober posted:

I am quietly worried that something will get overblown to horrible proportions precisely because of how poorly the dickwolves situation was handled. Anyway, the Firewatch trailer looks rad. Hope a link to the panel shows up soon. I couldn't find it on the twitch profile.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Orthogonalus posted:

I want to see the gif they mentioned of the book from Gone Home being stomped on.

Does this new game take place in the Homeiverse?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Al! posted:

Does this new game take place in the Homeiverse?

I want to say they confirmed that on a podcast, yeah. Or at least they wanted to make a background "universe" all these games shared, even if they weren't major callbacks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I want to say they confirmed that on a podcast, yeah. Or at least they wanted to make a background "universe" all these games shared, even if they weren't major callbacks.

That was kind of a joke because Gone Home takes place in our world except the soda brands are different.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Al! posted:

That was kind of a joke because Gone Home takes place in our world except the soda brands are different.

I forget what the actual reference is, but Steve Gaynor on Tone Control confirmed that Gone Home can technically be put in the same universe as Bioshock and System Shock I think?

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Now you're just putting words in my mouth.

I'm not "wishing failure in life" on someone however, there are consequences to one's actions and words, and it's short-sighted and naive to expect that in an age where you can speak to potentially tens of thousands of people instantly about anything you like, that there would be no cause and effect association between those words and later opinions of you based on such statements.
talking about consequences:

quote:

Defense lawyers told the courtroom that Horner, who goes by the gamertag BadAssDwg69, was upset after being repeatedly beaten by a fellow gamer at Battlefield 4. After obtaining the rival gamers information, prosecutors say Horner called police and reported a murder/hostage situation at the home. SWAT team then raided the house, shooting and critically injuring the “Livestreamer’s” father in the process.
Horner, described as affecting a brash, “hardcore” persona while online was anything but throughout the trial. At multiple times Horner broke down into fits of sobbing hysteria and calls to his mother, to the point that the presiding Judge, Arthur Digsby, was forced to have him removed. Hearing the sentence of 25 years to life, Horner began sobbing. Judge Digsby told Horner that though he felt bad for the youth, he was ultimately responsible for his own actions.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Crip Towe posted:

I never heard this story before. This makes me feel like if this kind of poo poo was more widely publicized - whenever internet awfulness flares up - it would be better then a million bouts of troll shaming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crip Towe posted:

I recall hearing that police stations are considering including a caveat to emergency situation calls, like "if this is Swatting and not a real emergency, please understand that it carries an extremely heavy criminal penalty" but that seems a bit much

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 30, 2014

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
If you want to see the Firewatch panel, the archive is here http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/b/563131781. The panel starts at 23:17:00 (yes that's 23 hours and 17 minutes into the archive) and there's a few minutes of introductions before the 10 or so minutes of gameplay. I think it looks great and can't wait to play it whenever it's done.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Al! posted:

I never heard this story before.

Probably because it's from one of those lovely "satirical" news websites that just posts fake news with no actual joke attached.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HMS Boromir posted:

Probably because it's from one of those lovely "satirical" news websites that just posts fake news with no actual joke attached.
Oh okay, so it's one of those Onion ripoffs without any actual skill, humor, class, or self-awareness. Great. So it's just fake news which further obfuscates the real problems, thanks internet

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I recall hearing that police stations are considering including a caveat to emergency situation calls, like "if this is Swatting and not a real emergency, please understand that it carries an extremely heavy criminal penalty"

That is a lot more than I expected, though the father getting shot probably doesn't help his case.

The problem is that some police allow anonymous submissions online which are harder to track than a phone call if the person knows what they're doing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Al! posted:

No, like, I swear either an episode of Thumbs or an interview with Steve or- poo poo I just realized I mixed up two studios. Whoops. Nevermind.

I was thinking of an interview with Steve where they said that Fullbright was probably going to have a shared universe but not in a blatant "AND HERE'S WHAT SHELLY IS UP TO NOW" thing, but you might see snippets of an older character, or a reference made in one game to some name becomes a PC or more important figure in another.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

really? Crap. I had two sites in my zite feed with the same story. But yeh, now i checked the rest of the site... Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

God, that's amazing. A real eye-opener.

• Locked thread