Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I was just wondering. How will should I deal with Merchant Republic Italy:

Due to their merchant republic nature, they're extremely stable, Catholicism is extremely strong too, thus meaning that Anatolia is said religion. They've been slowly been eating away at Jewish Byzantium. I have a feeling they'll be my Ottoman Empire in EUIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SkySteak posted:

Due to their merchant republic nature, they're extremely stable, Catholicism is extremely strong too, thus meaning that Anatolia is said religion. They've been slowly been eating away at Jewish Byzantium. I have a feeling they'll be my Ottoman Empire in EUIV.

Are there vassals feudal? They may have independence revolts. How much larger is their army? The AI is really dumb at hiring mercs so you may be able to eek out a victory with that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SkySteak posted:

As a republic, their feudal vassals are going to hate their merchant overlords, which means they'll contribute very few levies. If you can mass the coin to hire up enough mercs to get yourself an advantage troop-wise, you should be able to break them; merchant republics lean on mercs for troops, and they can't hire units already under contract to you.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As a republic, their feudal vassals are going to hate their merchant overlords, which means they'll contribute very few levies. If you can mass the coin to hire up enough mercs to get yourself an advantage troop-wise, you should be able to break them; merchant republics lean on mercs for troops, and they can't hire units already under contract to you.

I can understand what you're saying but

He does have a lot of feudal vassals in Italy itself, and more city vassals in Greece+Anatolia. Said areas are also all Catholic and becoming increasingly more Italian. I guess my fear is basically what they'll be like in EUIV. In CK2 I can handle them, but mainly due to massive retinues.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SkySteak posted:

I guess my fear is basically what they'll be like in EUIV. In CK2 I can handle them

Then kill them now then. What's the problem.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

It took 10 years to get Ireland under my control and I started at the old gods time. Which leave me with 100+ years to prepare for a horde, with that amount of time is it possible to build it up enough to be capable of holding off the Aztecs?

The aztecs are really not as scary as people think, unless you're still a small realm (like a spanish kingdom). They have no cavalry, mostly light/heavy infantry, and tend to split into siege stacks quickly. Make sure you've got good retinues, pull back your armies when the first appear, then strike when they split up.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Then kill them now then. What's the problem.

My only CBs are for trade zones+Embargo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SkySteak posted:

My only CBs are for trade zones+Embargo.

Pope claims or invasion. Land that big is bound to have dukes that are impious.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
So I've run into an odd issue in Lux Invicta: Religions and heresies with no holy sites are constantly reforming, even when holding no land and with no provinces sharing their religion. Has anyone else encountered this?

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Invasions are indeed awesome if you can get them. I was playing France managed to form Francia after awhile. The HRE set up an anti-pope as it always does, then rolled over the real pope to set up a vassal pope. Said vassal pope eventually rebelled, and he granted me the Invasion casus belli. After all was said and done, I controlled all of de-jure Francia and the HRE.

...And then realized there wouldn't be any challenge anymore and the game was practically over.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mortabis posted:

Goons, I need your help. How do I get rid of my demon baby? Preferably without suffering the -50 vassal relationship hit from just imprisoning and executing him.

Imprison and execute him. Really. I wanted to "roleplay" once so I didn't want a demon kid in the dynasty, I tried hard to get rid of him by plotting, by marriage, by any way possible without resorting to plain old-fashioned violence and that only led to crippled other heirs, people dying and poo poo hitting the fan all over the place.

The only solution I found was to piss him off so hard that he rebelled and came at me with a 20k strong army lead by 20+ Martial, genius witches (in 1085 or something like that, starting from 1066), and only by liberal use of mercenaries (spent something like 1000 ducats) I managed to beat him into submission and imprison him, then off with his head as quickly as possible.

Everybody in my family, my realm and possibly the whole world loving hates me now for singlehandedly saving the world from the hordes of Satan.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 30, 2014

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Pope claims or invasion. Land that big is bound to have dukes that are impious.

I'm Orthodox, though I guess I could get a Catholic Doge.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've had the demon baby twice before. The first time he got as close as 2nd in line for the Roman Empire, but when my ruler died after siring a son he became a loyal regent and I gave him a Spanish kingdom when I came of age. 2nd time was during a Caliphate Strikes Back attempt and he inherited after murdering like 3 of his brothers and was pretty much a really good ruler with kickass stats. I made the mistake of marrying all of my witches though and the one with high intrigue killed the others. Whoops.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So what happens in Iceland with the whole "hey it's 100 years earlier NO ONE LIVES HERE" thing

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So what happens in Iceland with the whole "hey it's 100 years earlier NO ONE LIVES HERE" thing

Polar bear lords.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

TaurusTorus posted:

Polar bear lords.

Finally, I've been waiting for the secret bear DLC to release forever.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
You know this game, sometimes you think some grand multi-generation master plan, and most of the time it never pans out. But just like the AI joining the two roman empires

Sometimes, everything lines up

And it all works out in the end

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well I did it in the end:

Zoroastrian start, Ironman. India is also taken, but offscreen. About 4500 living relatives and around 80 vassal kingdoms.

Actually got really, really boring after a while, just mindless stabbing, sieging and rebel-swatting. My last six or seven emperors have been geniuses with 25+ in diplomacy, so keeping the realm peaceful hasn't exactly been a major task.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a particularly good strategy for dealing with Empires as an outsider? i.e. I'm the Emperor of India, facing an Orthodox Empire of Persia under the Timurids. Is there anything I can do to cause the Empire to fragment, and turn into separate Kingdoms or Duchies?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Some stuff I coded for the America mod:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Moreau posted:

Is there a particularly good strategy for dealing with Empires as an outsider? i.e. I'm the Emperor of India, facing an Orthodox Empire of Persia under the Timurids. Is there anything I can do to cause the Empire to fragment, and turn into separate Kingdoms or Duchies?

The most reliable thing to do is kick them while they are down and keep kicking them. I didn't really show it off too well in my republic tutorial because others had already covered war, but I basically declared war on the HRE once at the beginning when I saw an opportunity and then spent the rest of the game with my foot on their throat until I was the undisputed top dog.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sam. posted:

Is Theovelt supposed to be a mangling of "Theodore Roosevelt"?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

TorakFade posted:

Imprison and execute him. Really. I wanted to "roleplay" once so I didn't want a demon kid in the dynasty, I tried hard to get rid of him by plotting, by marriage, by any way possible without resorting to plain old-fashioned violence and that only led to crippled other heirs, people dying and poo poo hitting the fan all over the place.

The only solution I found was to piss him off so hard that he rebelled and came at me with a 20k strong army lead by 20+ Martial, genius witches (in 1085 or something like that, starting from 1066), and only by liberal use of mercenaries (spent something like 1000 ducats) I managed to beat him into submission and imprison him, then off with his head as quickly as possible.

Everybody in my family, my realm and possibly the whole world loving hates me now for singlehandedly saving the world from the hordes of Satan.

Ultimately that's what I wound up doing. I sent him off to be fostered by the most distant Siberian pagan warlord I could find, hoping that would keep him away from his siblings (it didn't--he killed two of his three older brothers). Eventually my character died and the realm passed to the third son. Demon baby comes of age, gets all the demonic traits and poo poo, so I try to imprison him. Like a slippery fish he gets away and goes back to his old mentor's court and starts an adventure. A few years later he invades me with a stack of 30,000 men. I defeat him, imprison him, have him excommunicated, and then execute him.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Moreau posted:

If you keep assassinating the leader of the realm then sooner or later the whole she-bang will fall apart into civil war. Then,

Knuc U Kinte posted:

kick them while they are down and keep kicking them

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

As a Muslim, is there any way to stop the game from the game automatically having my daughter educated by a vassal then immediately taking her away, getting a -30 opinion malus with the vassal that stacks until they're at something like -5500 "Lost a Ward"? Because it's really loving dumb and annoying.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 31, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Moreau posted:

1) Adopt a religion that allows Holy Wars. (Alternately get a lot of casus belli somehow.)

2) Stab the Emperor's heirs until he gets a bad one (preferably a woman or child, though you won't get the former against Muslims).

3) Stab the Emperor.

4) When the rebellions appear, declare war first on the Empire and then on each of the rebel leaders for their biggest duchy.

5) Smash the Imperial armies, but try to defeat the rebels by occupation; rebels surrendering to the Empire ends your war but rebels beating the Empire does not, so keep the rebels strong in comparison to the Empire.

If you do a good enough job of mangling the Empire, the Emperor will be forced to yield to his rebels. This will create some independent duchies and kingdoms, and hopefully also replace the Emperor so you can do it all again to his successor.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

BBJoey posted:

As a Muslim, is there any way to stop the game from the game automatically having my daughter educated by a vassal then immediately taking her away, getting a -30 opinion malus with the vassal that stacks until they're at something like -5500 "Lost a Ward"? Because it's really loving dumb and annoying.

I actually have the same question because this drives me crazy

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So in my CK2 game, France has ousted my dynasty and cannot invite anyone to push a claim on the throne. So:

I've betrothed a granddaughter to the future King of France. What would I need to do be able to push a claim (and therefore put someone of my dynasty as ruler of France) again?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sam. posted:

Wait, so how did you do this, exactly? That is -- is this an additional mechanic along with the typical patrician succession, or are you somehow overriding it through events? Does this trigger the moment a leader dies in the republic? In that case, does it mean that it doesn't matter how much money you've funneled into your election funds?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Oh yeah I remember this, it casued quite a few problems in my Seljuk game some months back as I had to powerlessly sit and watch as broken game mechanics made some of my more powerful vassals hate my guts forever.

Is Paradox aware of this even? It would probably just be best to disable the automatic tutoring of daughters for Muslims just to stop this from happening, I mean with the game now suggesting a tutor for your children when you choose the educate option it wouldn't actually be that much hassle to have to manually educate your daugters, compared to having a bunch of vassals swear undying hatred of you because the game keeps assigning and recalling wards.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

SkySteak posted:

So in my CK2 game, France has ousted my dynasty and cannot invite anyone to push a claim on the throne. So:

I've betrothed a granddaughter to the future King of France. What would I need to do be able to push a claim (and therefore put someone of my dynasty as ruler of France) again?

You'd need to matrilineally marry the heir to get a claim on the throne for someone of your dynasty, but surely if someone of your dynasty was the King of France at some point you must have dynasty members with claims already?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You'd need to matrilineally marry the heir to get a claim on the throne for someone of your dynasty, but surely if someone of your dynasty was the King of France at some point you must have dynasty members with claims already?

Thanks, I just realised that several dukes/counts in France have weak claims. So killing the King has erupted a massive civil war.

Also bonus screenshot:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, so how did you do this, exactly? That is -- is this an additional mechanic along with the typical patrician succession, or are you somehow overriding it through events? Does this trigger the moment a leader dies in the republic? In that case, does it mean that it doesn't matter how much money you've funneled into your election funds?

It's by event when the President dies. It's only for the religious head, republics still use normal patrician elections. You can find the code here. Feel free to use it, but right now it's pretty barebones and I haven't done much debugging.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there a mod or something to make dealing with prisoners less of a pain? I've seen "Ransom all" decisions in other mods before, so I assume it's possible to have just that bit on its own. I'd leave them to rot in the dungeons, but they keep spamming me with events...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Found some duplicate dlc keys from different packs if anyone wants them. Nothing major but saves a few dollars :v:

All are for Steam.

Songs of Albion
59X2E-VZ7J2-K7TH2

Songs of Faith
0RG0K-RWNYK-C4FPQ

Songs of the Holy Land
CD75Q-B7MWT-RCJYT

They're all at least a year old (probably more) but should still work.

E: There was a key here. It is moved now.

E2: Removed used keys. Moving base game key over to the steam gift thread - Check there!

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 31, 2014

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Rynoto posted:

Ruler Designer
2W9P6-0KLBF-KLR2C

Just grabbed that one so others can get some stuff too,

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Dynasty Shields (1)
9WMIF-KW3IT-ZFZYZ

Just grabbed this. Thanks!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

Found some duplicate dlc keys from different packs if anyone wants them. Nothing major but saves a few dollars :v:

All are for Steam.

Mongol Portraits
XF2YD-30KB4-IBKA5

I snagged this one, been wanting more portraits. Thanks a lot!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sam. posted:

Shiiit, is there an ETA for 2.0? Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sam. posted:

It's by event when the President dies. It's only for the religious head, republics still use normal patrician elections. You can find the code here. Feel free to use it, but right now it's pretty barebones and I haven't done much debugging.

Is the religious head being changed from Speaker to President then?

• Locked thread