Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Command Ant posted:

I think it meant that, after Dandy lived his life and really died, he returned to the planet that loved him. The friends he had made there waited patiently for him, and he happily came back to them when it was truly his time.

This was a hauntingly beautiful episode. To me, it was like a beautiful combination of Twin Peaks and a Jodorowsky movie.

I like this and choose to believe that is what it meant :)

Also, his cool outfit in the last scene at the end and his positive demeanor fit well for his character; he's dandy anywhere baby dead or alive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Alright, I'm glad I forgot to record that, I need time to take it in. And not give myself nightmares.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
One of the best episodes so far. I think so, anyway.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I loving love this show, I really do.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That really felt like a finale for Space Dandy. But the show must go on baby!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This episode was feature film quality in terms of it's art and it's direction. the imagination and creativity behind this episode was outstanding. this episode was so full of interesting images I was aghast at the sheer beauty of it. Somehow, they managed to out-imagine and out-crazy Masaaki Yuasa.

Absolutely incredible. I'm still getting goosebumps just thinking of this episode.

*Edit*

While I'm at it, I'd just like to report back from my attempt to make my friend get into this show, I showed him the zombie episode but unfortunately he's one of those types who is just "Wierded out by how anime looks like and I just cant get into it. Period". I swear to god some people are so filtered against interesting stuff its insane.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really loved the surrealistic art direction in this episode also the music by the end sounded like some lost song from Darkside of the Moon. God this show is incredible

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This would have been an absolutely fantastic ending for the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every minute of this show is a miracle and I never want it to end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God I really, really hope we find out what's up with Dandy. The way the planet said she loved him and that heart-beat with after images make me think he's like the representations of life itself or at the very least a multiversal constant that means he has the most life out of anyone in the universe or something. This episode was amazing and had me going the whole way.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really, really hope we find out what's up with Dandy. The way the planet said she loved him and that heart-beat with after images make me think he's like the representations of life itself or at the very least a multiversal constant that means he has the most life out of anyone in the universe or something. This episode was amazing and had me going the whole way.

The planet said something like "I can't, you're the chosen one." and in previous episodes the Googl Empire has said Dandy is key to winning the universal war, or something like that.

So, whether Dandy realizes it or not, he is something special. My guess is he was some important character/entity who decided he didn't want to be "the chosen one" so to speak and would rather just Dandy it up across time and space.

So, I'm predicting Dandy knows what he is all about deep down but down plays it. We know he is an awesome surfer and not just a poser.

Also, seconding that this felt like a series finale episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I 'unno, I can honestly see Dandy never realizing he's special, even if he could lift cars when he was a baby or something.

Also I wish this hadn't popped on my head and it's probably super wrong, but you're right, he's a terrific surfer... a very, very good one, he basically Walks On Water. ...Literal Space Jesus?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I cant even deal with that episode

holy gently caress

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I cant even deal with that episode

holy gently caress

WAY TO BE GONE LAST NIGHT

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

God I really, really hope we find out what's up with Dandy. The way the planet said she loved him and that heart-beat with after images make me think he's like the representations of life itself or at the very least a multiversal constant that means he has the most life out of anyone in the universe or something. This episode was amazing and had me going the whole way.

The fact that we never find out exactly what is so special about Dandy is my favorite thing about this show. Dandy doesn't know that he holds some sort of cosmic importance, and he doesn't care. It's not important to him, so it's not important to the show either. The show just goes with the flow and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This could be a show someone starts a thread about in ten years time and it gets filled with pages and pages of happy nostalgic ranting and raving. I think it's qualified. That episode and everything else and the last season of it. Genius works, so much deeper and more thoughtful than anticipated.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Can someone make me a skull dandy av from when he got his face pulled off please

Hace posted:

WAY TO BE GONE LAST NIGHT

I would have died

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Can someone make me a skull dandy av from when he got his face pulled off please

I would have died

It would have made it the best episode of Dandy ever.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Spectacle Rock posted:

The planet said something like "I can't, you're the chosen one." and in previous episodes the Googl Empire has said Dandy is key to winning the universal war, or something like that.

So, whether Dandy realizes it or not, he is something special. My guess is he was some important character/entity who decided he didn't want to be "the chosen one" so to speak and would rather just Dandy it up across time and space.

So, I'm predicting Dandy knows what he is all about deep down but down plays it. We know he is an awesome surfer and not just a poser.

Also, seconding that this felt like a series finale episode.

Well remember what Dandy said in episode two when they were trying to figure out why they kept getting ambushed at Ramen shops?

"I either know something...Or have absolutely no idea"

Also Jesus Christ it is impossible to watch that episode and not want a big bowl of Ramen...

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I loving love this show so goddamn much.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I personally think that he's some random rear end in a top hat who happens to be a universal constant. The Gogl Empire must have some way to weaponize his quantum immortality, but no version of them will ever be able to track him down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That was amazing.

The show has often felt a bit weak to me, especially the comedy parts that don't involve zombies. But when they're going all-in on the bizarre it can really shine.

It probably helped a lot that this episode wasn't using that overly-bright color palette that makes things look sun-bleached and cheap.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, err, that episode :stare:

Did anyone notice the crazy binaural part in the metallic creak around 10:30 which sounds like it's coming somewhere front right above of the listener? Wearing headphones, I can't tell the sound is actually coming from the headphones and not some sort of pipe creaking above me - even after multiple times of listening that part. That is some crazy audio engineering. Absolutely love it when you get that feeling the sound is coming outside your headphones.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 24, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
What do we know about the people responsible for this episode? Because I want to watch more their stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

What do we know about the people responsible for this episode? Because I want to watch more their stuff.

Watanabe himself was the writer for this one.

Yasuhiro Nakura was the director but he's mainly an animation director.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Shindragon posted:

That really felt like a finale for Space Dandy. But the show must go on baby!

If not the finale, this should've been the opener for season two. I don't think I can get any more hyped for the actual finale now if this is what they consider deserving of episode eight.

I'd like to use this episode to introduce people to the series but really thinking about it you kind of need to have seen the rest to truly appreciate it.

Command Ant posted:

I think it meant that, after Dandy lived his life and really died, he returned to the planet that loved him. The friends he had made there waited patiently for him, and he happily came back to them when it was truly his time.

That's what I eventually got out of it too, listening to the dialog really closely and looking at each and every clue. So it is self-explanatory, if you study it like a loving painting, I've watched this episode three times now.

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
Such a good episode. All in good time. I ain't giving up my good times!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

If anyone wants more animation like the last episode, go download Iblard Jikan in the highest resolution your computer can handle. There's no dialog or anything that I can remember, just lots and lots of beautiful paintings.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I liked how the gondola crawled up the wires

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
I liked the bit where david gilmour came out and played a rad song on top of a mountain for dandy and his new space-lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8HkiT1Z6s

goddamn that was a good episode

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Episode 22 promo is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgI8KbnTJQ

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

Snodgrass Supreme posted:

I liked the bit where david gilmour came out and played a rad song on top of a mountain for dandy and his new space-lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8HkiT1Z6s

goddamn that was a good episode
awsome

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 13, 2015

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I didn't care for a bunch of the episodes in the first season, but they're really pulling out all the stops now, it really is amazing.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

FagtasticalMondays posted:

I got a huge Pink Floyd/Gilmore vibe from the music as well. God dam this show is amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't handle this show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh my god.

Hammer pants.

Dance Ghidora.

Sperm Meow.

There really isn't any other show that does what Space Dandy does, and what it does is amazing!

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

gently caress, no wonder. I love OYA, and their newer stuff is definitely rooted in that spacey pink floyd vibe.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I like how my Slingbox started to lag out every time the party dude appeared. It just couldn't handle that level of groove.

An OST better drop at some point or my life will be incomplete, forever.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Command Ant posted:

Oh my god.

Hammer pants.

Dance Ghidora.

Sperm Meow.

There really isn't any other show that does what Space Dandy does, and what it does is amazing!

I think the best gag during that whole sequence was QT turning into a regular old present day vacuum cleaner.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Slime posted:

I think the best gag during that whole sequence was QT turning into a regular old present day vacuum cleaner.

I liked that during the bit in the credits you could, if you look carefully, make out which of the blobs was QT...And he was still doing the robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Slime posted:

When Ghidorah is flying dancing you can see a string.

• Locked thread