Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXWiG2B4zk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Huh, maybe we should just burn down gaming.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

Gyges posted:

Huh, maybe we should just burn down gaming.

suddenly seems like a great idea yeah

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im concerned about videogame journalists ruining the pure artform that is videogames

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I miss dodgeball. :qq: good times.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
The people that make Law and Order: Special Vicims Unit are currently reading through about a hundred different scripts where game-rapists force a journalist to leave their home.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

That 3% looks really good against not reporting it all. I bet they also get much more than 3% when the twisted, detailed threat was posted to the internet and left a trail of electronic records, as opposed to happening in private with no witnesses. What are you arguing for, exactly, that she shouldn't report it to the police?

And who the gently caress reposts verbatim the twisted rapey death threats they've received? People just don't do that.

Posting a police report on twitter isn't some iron clad way to silence critics. Given the black and white thinking of gamers, the report will become evidence that she was lying if someone doesn't end up in jail.

Even if she does everything that is demanded of her, there will still be people questioning her on past actions (she lied on the report because she reposted death threats).

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets herd all gamers into gas chambers and kill them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gravefront posted:

suddenly seems like a great idea yeah

Yeah, until now I was in full support of gamers but suddenly I think it should really all burn down.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

lol the comments

quote:

"the icy mountians of tamriel"
what? tamriel is a continent you are talking about skyrim you poo poo, if you are talking about "i am a gamer" get it right you bitch, its loving skyrim a single country within the continent, not tamriel, tamriel is a continent and as such it has icy tropic and temperate climates skyrim falls into the icy climate whereas cyrodil fell within temperate
you wanna talk about being a gamer as a life choice fine whatever be autistic, but get the names right if you are going to be autistic about your life and shut out the real world

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Tokamak posted:

:tinfoil:
Because police are really good at convicting perpetrators of sexual violence against women; 3% is a good outcome.

You posted the report, so why isn't the perpetrator in jail now :smug:
And when the report inevitably leads nowhere, I get to call the victim a lying whore :smug::smug:

Yeah look if she was a more or less honest person, you'd have a point. However when someone is caught lying or misrepresenting the truth, they have something called a "credibility problem" and they then need a little bit more proof to back it up even if it is that a report has been filed to the authorities.

I don't care if it's sexual assault, theft, forgetting to return a library book, or seeing the big bad wolf.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Neurolimal posted:

The Secret wasn't a nonfiction book hth

Brannock posted:

lol at this piece of poo poo using the exact same strategies against rape that they condemn "mras" for

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Tokamak posted:

Posting a police report on twitter isn't some iron clad way to silence critics. Given the black and white thinking of gamers, the report will become evidence that she was lying if someone doesn't end up in jail.

Even if she does everything that is demanded of her, there will still be people questioning her on past actions (she lied on the report because she reposted death threats).

people from 4 chan of all people know its easy as hell to stay anonymous on the internet so if she posted it and no one ends up in jail they would just assume someone was using a vpn. it's true that even if she did everything that was demanded of her people will still question her on her past actions (female, feminist, game critic = automatic hate for some idiots) but really she has no reason not to post it.

EDIT: other than on principle because she feels she dosent need to justify herself, which is valid i suppose.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Eron Gjoni, the boyfriend's on twitter and has described Zoe as emotionally abusive; some people familiar with abusive relationships have looked at the posted chatlogs and agree with him; others view *him* as abusive. I'm still open to either possibility, but for such a shitstorm this has all been, there's been shamefully little conversation on the abuse aspect. The 4chan brigade didn't seem to care much, aside from occasionally saying "she's a rapist by her own definition"-- which is more of an snipe at her hypocrisy. Why not just say "she's a rapist"?

The focus has been almost entirely on her sleeping with journalists and the conflict of interest that created. I don't blame anyone for not taking 4chan seriously given their target and initial methods. They did not consider their reputation. Zoe's supporters probably doubled before anyone even thought to talk about abuse seriously.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

Blackheart posted:

lol the comments

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
do mra's have a history of saying cheating is not rape, i'm learning so much about people i really dont care about

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Denim Dude posted:

people from 4 chan of all people know its easy as hell to stay anonymous on the internet so if she posted it and no one ends up in jail they would just assume someone was using a vpn. it's true that even if she did everything that was demanded of her people will still question her on her past actions (female, feminist, game critic = automatic hate for some idiots) but really she has no reason not to post it.

EDIT: other than on principle because she feels she dosent need to justify herself, which is valid i suppose.

Yeah I think it's a Obama's birth certificate kinda thing, like gently caress them for needing proof?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Shadoer posted:

Yeah look if she was a more or less honest person, you'd have a point. However when someone is caught lying or misrepresenting the truth, they have something called a "credibility problem" and they then need a little bit more proof to back it up even if it is that a report has been filed to the authorities.

I don't care if it's sexual assault, theft, forgetting to return a library book, or seeing the big bad wolf.

why are you people talking like she was raped? she got threats on the internet. why are you bringing up rape conviction statistics up? the gently caress is going on?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol, Who needs a degree when you can be Commander Shepherd in a god tier video game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i am a gamer, not because i have no life, but because i choose to have many (different shades of poorly written white guy in -costume-)

i can fight a dragon who roars like that t-rex from jurassic park, or i can fight the space monsters who roar like that t-rex from jurassic park

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I think Shadoer is under the impression that getting a detail about a video game wrong utterly destroys a person's trustworthiness

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 31, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Denim Dude posted:

why are you people talking like she was raped? she got threats on the internet. why are you bringing up rape conviction statistics up? the gently caress is going on?

I didn't, the guy I was quoting did so I went with it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

hey guys I'm looking for an Anita? anybody know Anita?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Anita Mandahugginkiss?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
how many poor life choices does a person have to commit before they start ironically posting in a gbs thread like an unironic d&d poster about how a lady might have cheated on her ex-bf and this somehow constitutes as Gamer Rape

it's like unlearning comedy

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

romanowski posted:

hey guys I'm looking for an Anita? anybody know Anita?

Check her house?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

falcon2424 posted:

This is the same bullshit defence that the conservatives drag out. "Oh, I'm a poor fallible sinner, just like all of you." It sucks.

Qinn didn't "slip up" anymore than Tedd Haggard slipped and found a dick in his mouth. They both faced situations where their principles mattered. And they made a conscious choice to abandon them.

This is especially bad in Quinn's case. She was in a situation where she thought her options were "admit cheating to boyfriend" or "rape boyfriend." And she made the choice to go with door #2. You can argue that she was mistaken about her options. But that's a happy accident. It doesn't mitigate her intentions.

it's in no way a defence and my opinions aren't what you're imagining they are

I might be expressing myself poorly idk, don't really care enough to keep this going

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Shadoer posted:

I didn't, the guy I was quoting did so I went with it.

i know but i was wondering why you were entertaining them. but i guess i shoulda quoted them instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ave Azaria posted:

Eron Gjoni, the boyfriend's on twitter and has described Zoe as emotionally abusive; some people familiar with abusive relationships have looked at the posted chatlogs and agree with him; others view *him* as abusive. I'm still open to either possibility, but for such a shitstorm this has all been, there's been shamefully little conversation on the abuse aspect. The 4chan brigade didn't seem to care much, aside from occasionally saying "she's a rapist by her own definition"-- which is more of an snipe at her hypocrisy. Why not just say "she's a rapist"?

The focus has been almost entirely on her sleeping with journalists and the conflict of interest that created. I don't blame anyone for not taking 4chan seriously given their target and initial methods. They did not consider their reputation. Zoe's supporters probably doubled before anyone even thought to talk about abuse seriously.

hmm yase I see *drops pants, shits for five minutes straight*

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

how many poor life choices does a person have to commit before they start ironically posting in a gbs thread like an unironic d&d poster about how a lady might have cheated on her ex-bf and this somehow constitutes as Gamer Rape

it's like unlearning comedy

the only person who really thinks it is rape is zoe quinn. thats why it is funny you fuckin idiot.

edit: sorry i said the mean words at you

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Parallax Scroll posted:

im concerned about videogame journalists ruining the pure artform that is videogames

Parallax Scroll posted:

lets herd all gamers into gas chambers and kill them

im worried about you :ohdear:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Denim Dude posted:

the only person who really thinks it is rape is zoe quinn. thats why it is funny you fuckin idiot.

idk, thats not really gut-busting funny to me, esp. when someone ironically unironically posts long tedious posts for multiple pages about how she's a rapist 'cause she has a retarded sense of the word rape

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

On one bright note, Zoe Quinn' Patreon account has leveled at $2,581.50 a month. So while she has effectively doubled her free income, it seems to have leveled off.

Denim Dude posted:

i know but i was wondering why you were entertaining them. but i guess i shoulda quoted them instead.

Yeah I thought I was mocking it by going into "see the big bad wolf" but I really did give them too much credit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neurolimal posted:

idk, thats not really gut-busting funny to me, esp. when someone ironically unironically posts long tedious posts for multiple pages about how she's a rapist 'cause she has a retarded sense of the word rape

it's funny because she has a retarded sense of the word rape and she doesn't even follow it herself, which makes her a hypocrite

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ave Azaria posted:

Because it's dumb to say she's a rapist. The only role any of the lol she's a rapist by her definition stuff has to do with anything is that it's hilarious hypocrisy. When you do anything with it other than point out how dumb it is, you're the idiot though.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

i guess we just have different senses of humor. we can still be friends though. if you want.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

it's funny because she has a retarded sense of the word rape and she doesn't even follow it herself

I'd rate it a 2 on the Chucklometer, going down to a 1 when someone drags it out for way too long in way too many posts without spicing it up

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Neurolimal posted:

idk, thats not really gut-busting funny to me, esp. when someone ironically unironically posts for multiple pages about how she's a rapist 'cause she has a retarded sense of the word rape

yeah but this is because you are a retarded piece of poo poo dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Denim Dude posted:

i guess we just have different senses of humor. we can still be friends though. if you want.

you are a class traitor and your class is Videogames

• Locked thread