Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But still two weeks from shipping, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

I'm really really not seeing the reason to use this instead of the open gas flame.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm really really not seeing the reason to use this instead of the open gas flame.

Diffusing the heat?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CrazyLittle posted:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eddiewalker posted:

Diffusing the heat?
I was under the impression that you want to sear as fast as you can to develop the crust, without transferring heat to the meat inside. Wouldn't diffusing the heat only make searing take longer?

How does sticking a metal cone on the flame reduce the byproducts of combustion?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

CrazyLittle posted:

Wouldn't diffusing the heat only make searing take longer?

I mean, yes, but that doesn't mean that this product doesn't still complete the malliard reaction at a temp/rate that leaves the interior temp adequately intact. It also appears to be designed to be held closer to the meat. So the device held at an equal distance as you tend to hold the flame of a un-modified torch may be cooler, but because of the change in design appears to be such that you hold it closer, it may prove as hot or hotter. If it does achieve comparable temperature it may in fact work faster if the heat is successfully diffused across the entire head of the device as well.

CrazyLittle posted:

How does sticking a metal cone on the flame reduce the byproducts of combustion?

From as best as i can see there's some metal structure inside the cone that acts as a barrier between the open flame and the food you're searing. This plate likely reduces the unburnt fuel and exhausts from directly depositing onto the meat because the heat that's actually searing the food is no longer a product of combustion itself, but the radiant heat that is a byproduct of the combustion . The chamber if enclosed that way may also more completely burn fuel reducing exhaust and fouling agents but that's an even bigger guess.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The point of things like the Searzall and restaurant grade salamander ovens is that they cook via high intensity infrared radiation vs an open flame like in a grill. The infrared radiation from a flame is spread out more evenly in these devices and this gives you more controllable and consistent results.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

The point of things like the Searzall and restaurant grade salamander ovens is that they cook via high intensity infrared radiation vs an open flame like in a grill. The infrared radiation from a flame is spread out more evenly in these devices and this gives you more controllable and consistent results.

Yeah, having a salamander at home would be awesome but it will never happen.

I did mutant-sized chicken breasts at 142F today (I went a few degrees over 140 because they were really thick and we had an immune compromised guest so I wanted to make sure to pasteurize to core completely). Juiciest chicken ever but they look weird from the bag so I used the torch (come on searzall and get here already) and made them look better.

If y'all aren't doing 140F chicken you really need to try it. It's just so much better.

And although I didn't puddle them, I did heirloom tomatoes infused with basil oil and reduced balsamic in the vacuum chamber. Those were then assembled with fresh mozz and a little more basil and it was the best Caprese ever. Seriously incredible.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ultimate Mango posted:

And although I didn't puddle them, I did heirloom tomatoes infused with basil oil and reduced balsamic in the vacuum chamber. Those were then assembled with fresh mozz and a little more basil and it was the best Caprese ever. Seriously incredible.

I need to try this. Basil oil was blended or just muddled?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

geetee posted:

I need to try this. Basil oil was blended or just muddled?

I blended mostly stems and a few leaves, strained well. It wasn't super basil-y but it worked. I basically ran the vacuum chamber as long as it would let me, and I think that is what got the texture and absorption to come out so well. I also out a little salt in with the tomato if you care.

I took the bag juice from the tomatoes and reduced it with the bag juice from the chicken to make the sauce for the chicken. Was very very tasty. The tomatoes took up so much basil oil and balsamic that the Caprese didn't really need any other dressing but everyone loves reduced balsamic and it looked fancier with the drizzle.

drat it now I need to go buy more tomatoes.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

This is bullshit. I understood the searzall could be used for both anal and nonanal purposes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a tri tip to cook, how many hours and what temp? i'm seeing some recipes say 2-3 hours and some up to 24.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Got a tri tip to cook, how many hours and what temp? i'm seeing some recipes say 2-3 hours and some up to 24.

If it is a lean roast like a tri-tip I like to treat it like a steak. I usually do them for 2-4hrs at ~134F, depending on the thickness. I have gone a whole day (24hrs) and didn't like it as much, less mouth feel.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I do mine about 6 hours at 133. I can't say I've bothered to experiment with other durations though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks for the info, I'll shoot for 4 hours tonight and serve later this week.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

How big is it? It might end up in the danger zone for too long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
3lbs ish? it wasn't particularly thick, i think it will be ok.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there something I am missing with Anova's website? Trying to add a product to my card to buy, but nothing happens.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Etrips posted:

Is there something I am missing with Anova's website? Trying to add a product to my card to buy, but nothing happens.

It needs to sit in your cart for 72 hours before it's tender for transactions.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ola posted:

It needs to sit in your cart for 72 hours before it's tender for transactions.

I had to do something really weird to actually get it in my cart. But finally placed an order last night. Pretty stoked to get it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4hr tri-tip at 134* made some awesome French dip.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._project_update

quote:

Shipping Update and Questions Answered
7 comments

37 likes
Hello Backers,

I wanted to personally provide you with an update regarding unit delivery, 3rd party developer support, and the request for increased power.

Progress

We are on track for delivery in October. REALLY. We are on track for a late-October delivery, as components are beginning to stream in for final assembly.

We are currently working on the phone application and working out programming kinks. In the next week or so, we will finalize the interface after processing some user feedback.

Developer Prototypes

The development prototypes started shipping out last week and are still going out. We should have all "Hacker Special" units fulfilled by next week.

For developers, the SDK currently consists of an example program and a protocol list that allows access to the internal controls on the unit. We'll continue to work on updating our developer tools, but this sample program enables developers to get going right away on building apps. Here's the program in action:

PLAY
3rd party developer support

We are talking with a number of 3rd party developers and there will be positive outcomes with many of them. We look forward to updating you here about any progress.

Request for increasing heater power past 800W

We have heard from some of you that you would like heater power greater than 800W. Unfortunately that is not something we will do because of temperature homogeneity and thermokinetic issues.

Increasing power will wreck temperature homogeneity – the current power output was designed for the current pump. Increasing power would simply “spin the wheels” without providing any improvement in cooking. We don’t do things just to look better on paper against competitors, regardless of whether it might help us short run.
Increasing power will also cause thermokinetic problems in calculating recovery (how fast your food comes to temperature). There are data logging features in the system / SDK that need accurate temperature homogeneity to assist in recovery calculation.
Thank you all for your continued support and excitement about our Precision Cooker. We can’t wait to get your units in your hands – back to my UNDISCLOSED LOCATION with Elvis, Ken Lay and a bunch of green aliens.

Best,

Jeff

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ken Lay? I've heard him lie about energy usage before :tinfoil:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

4hr tri-tip at 134* made some awesome French dip.

Good to hear. Gonna soak a couple myself tomorrow; one standard Santa Maria style and one experimental Carolina mustard style. Can't wait to see how the latter turns out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Good to hear. Gonna soak a couple myself tomorrow; one standard Santa Maria style and one experimental Carolina mustard style. Can't wait to see how the latter turns out.

You West Coast bastards and your ability to get tritips! :fuckoff:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Samizdata posted:

Yeah but we don't see any atlantic fish, oysters or any decent crawfish

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Do you have a trader joe's near you? They seem to carry it somewhat regularly.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Do you mean Atlantic oysters? There's tons of oysters here.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Neither do I. I see corn. And soybeans....

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

Do you mean Atlantic oysters? There's tons of oysters here.
And honestly I'd expect to find Bluepoints and Bausoleils and whatever pretty much anywhere people'll pay for them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This place is a kinda chain seafood place out here and they have east coast oysters:

https://www.thefishmarket.com/menus/downloadable%20menus/dm_sampleoysterbar.pdf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, slap my rear end.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Samizdata posted:

I thought tritip was getting more common elsewhere. In addition to Trader Joe's, you can try Costco. I usually have luck there when visiting friends out of state.

Edit:

Samizdata posted:

Neither do I. I see corn. And soybeans....

Sounds like you may actually be closer to an actual cow than to a Costco. With a little bit of practice and a good knife you can have any cut you want...

My mustard experiment came out ok, though in most of my guests' (and my) opinion the standard one was better.

It did, however, really make me want to make another batch of the sauce and smoke some pork spare ribs (does anyone find ribs to be worth vizzling? I recall I tried it once and didn't find it worth the effort).

Steve Yun posted:

Well, slap my rear end.

Santa Monica Seafood should too, I'd think. And crawfish. Can't say how good they are because I hate oysters and can't afford to shop there anyway!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh hey, what's this?

Ooo a snazzy box, but it's the same!

Wait a minute...

Oh my, so snazzy, here's a headshot:

No action shots because I got home late last night and didn't have a chance to test it.

- REALLY LIKE the texture on the black, it's a rubbery paint/plastic as opposed to the satin paint on the One.
- The clamp is very nicely done.
- The new shroud is easier to get in place than the One, the one has a down+twist motion that you have to be careful with to not jam with the impeller, this one the shroud goes into position THEN twists to lock.

Dislikes:
- The polycarb "nozzle" only has one direction it can get re-attached but has absolutely no way of telling which direction it is, might be a thing with my unit because it looks like it SHOULD have 3 positions to reattach.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 9, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

While we're at it, can anyone with the One do a quick test for me please:

1. Bring water to 80°C.
2. Set temp to 47.5°C
3. Wait (in this step you can pour some water to bring the temp down but don't bring it under 60°C ish)

Then answer these questions two:
1. Does your One reach equilibrium at 47.5?
2. What firmware version do you have?

I wanna test this because my One fails to reach equilibrium, the PID algorithm never recovers from the negative dip, it just lets the water reach room temperature while the pump turns.

Since I am conscious of the issue it's not a big deal and it only affects me when doing yoghurt but if it still exists on the new one I will report it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

deimos posted:

Oh hey, what's this?

Ooo a snazzy box, but it's the same!

Wait a minute...

Oh my, so snazzy, here's a headshot:

No action shots because I got home late last night and didn't have a chance to test it.

- REALLY LIKE the texture on the black, it's a rubbery paint/plastic as opposed to the satin paint on the One.
- The clamp is very nicely done.
- The new shroud is easier to get in place than the One, the one has a down+twist motion that you have to be careful with to not jam with the impeller, this one the shroud goes into position THEN twists to lock.

Dislikes:
- The polycarb "nozzle" only has one direction it can get re-attached but has absolutely no way of telling which direction it is, might be a thing with my unit because it looks like it SHOULD have 3 positions to reattach.

Hacker special or normal backer?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

the littlest prince posted:

Hacker special or normal backer?

I am a normal backer, but this is the same type of unit sent to the hacker backers (and also no warranty, etc. etc.).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just got my Anova One in this evening. Any recipe/cooking suggestions for 8oz of chicken breast?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
If you guys haven't tried puddling salmon, you're missing out. 130F for 45 minutes. Maybe a bit lower temperature if it's lean. I like to make a thick puttanesca sauce to serve with it. Saute some garlic and onion in a pan. Throw in sliced kalmata olives, capers, and a couple slivered roma tomatoes per person. Some lemon zest, juice, splash of wine and balsamic maybe. Cook it covered for 30 minutes and uncover to reduce for another 15. Finish with a small pat of butter if you're feeling up to it. I let the salmon sit out for 5 minutes before crisping the skin in a pan.

edit: and whatever italian spices, salt, pepper

geetee fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The "mi-cuit" salmon technique from Modernist at Home was a revelation.