Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nine episodes in and Argevollen's still kind of slow and low budget, and the characters are almost non-entities, but I actually kind of like how ridiculously understated it is. Just one big, grueling land war between two nations, neither particularly better or somehow more noble than the other. I appreciate that enemy combatants are routinely taken prisoner without any real fuss or moustache-twirling on the part of the captors.

Also the protagonist's advanced bot has been used more as a force-multiplier so far rather than some wunderwaffe that can singlehandedly win the war, which is refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://pic.twitter.com/PllzRtRSYl

Here's the Yuki Nagato-Chan announcement. They at least have a year now. 2015.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For the life of me, I still don't understand what's appealing about RWBY, I have a friend who's a very recent fan and he's all over it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Did someone say RWBY?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think someone said RWBY!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Compendium posted:

For the life of me, I still don't understand what's appealing about RWBY, I have a friend who's a very recent fan and he's all over it.

It's basically so derivative of shonen-y fighting stuff (Soul Eater in particular) and Young Adult books that to a certain kind of fan it's like peanut butter and chocolate I guess. I feel like the average fan of the show is someone who feels compelled to seek out or write fanfiction of it, and the show's writing definitely feels like that sort of thing.

(And that's saying nothing about the horrible animation that they made with a team that is larger than some anime studios, so if your friend pulls out the indie excuse you should tell him it's bullshit)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime owns, japan groans. RWBY 4 lyfe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is anyone here actually watching it? I won't make fun of you I promise.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Is anyone here actually watching it? I won't make fun of you I promise.

I will

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HMS Boromir posted:

I think someone said RWBY!

That's actually me irl, love them cookies.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The more the ivory tower anime nerds look down on it the more i want to watch it.

E: wonder if the people who hate this are the same as the people who jizzed hard over inferno cop

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

The more the ivory tower anime nerds look down on it the more i want to watch it.

E: wonder if the people who hate this are the same as the people who jizzed hard over inferno cop

Are you implying that inferno cop isn't a masterpiece?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I Did Not Enjoy Inferno Cop

(the only anime "masterpiece" is k-on. still waiting on the simulwatch zorak)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Namtab posted:

Probably, since it means they've got good taste.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Inferno cop has its charm even if its hit or miss. Turning Girls is a better example of a good show on an ultra low budget

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Terper posted:

Probably, since it means they've got good taste.

This badly animated anim was made in glorious nippon so it owns/This badly animated anim was made by filthy gaijin therefore it is bad.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It is bad though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Namtab I want you to watch RWBY then look me in the eyes and tell me its writing is better than Inferno Cop's

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 29, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Inferno cop has its charm even if its hit or miss. Turning Girls is a better example of a good show on an ultra low budget

I should probably get around to finishing Turning Girls. I stopped after seeing the episode with the one character having delusions of BL between cups of hot and cold water, and I can't really see later ones topping that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I should probably get around to finishing Turning Girls. I stopped after seeing the episode with the one character having delusions of BL between cups of hot and cold water, and I can't really see later ones topping that.

There's one that does.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Srice posted:

(And that's saying nothing about the horrible animation that they made with a team that is larger than some anime studios, so if your friend pulls out the indie excuse you should tell him it's bullshit)

How big is their team because I doubt this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not counting voice actors I recall seeing a few dozen people on the credits? It's not like it's a huge studio or anything but it's definitely big enough to not be the little guys, so to speak.

e: I'm too lazy to sort out the duplicate names to get a proper count but imdb lists a fairly sizable team working on it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3066242/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 29, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know any other place to ask about this, so I apologize if this seems inappropriate. I was in BFC the other day, and I read something about "ins anely sexy anime" thread. Since it apparently fell into archives and right now I don't have my credit card at hand, what does "ins anely sexy anime" mean, exactly?

e: vvvv It seems to suggest the ogling of sexy anime characters? That seems hella odd. Was it something like a T&A, but with anime? :cripes: vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 30, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you know precisely what it means

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I don't know any other place to ask about this, so I apologize if this seems inappropriate. I was in BFC the other day, and I read something about "ins anely sexy anime" thread. Since it apparently fell into archives and right now I don't have my credit card at hand, what does "ins anely sexy anime" mean, exactly?

e: vvvv It seems to suggest the ogling of sexy anime characters? That seems hella odd. Was it something like a T&A, but with anime? :cripes: vvvv

It was a really good thread, and I'm pretty sure it's in the goldmine so you don't need archives.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

zorak goldmined the thread check there

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll look into it later. The golden color kinda throws me off. Also, the thread probably changed its name, so this might take a while (didn't find anything under its name on my first look).

e: Thanks, Srice! :thumbsup:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I'll look into it later. The golden color kinda throws me off. Also, the thread probably changed its name, so this might take a while (didn't find anything under its name on my first look).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2619928

Sadly since a lot of those images used waffleimages they are lost :smith:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Without waffleimages it doesn't make a lot of sense, but the OP was completely sincere. And the rest was people screwing around.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Future historians will record the death of waffleimages as a tragedy on par with the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

The "ins anely sexy thread", as it was once known, now stands only as sad columns, with the barest whisper of the wonders they once buttressed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"T-thanks, senpai, for telling me about those ins anely sexy anime babes"
               /
              /

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Nine episodes in and Argevollen's still kind of slow and low budget, and the characters are almost non-entities, but I actually kind of like how ridiculously understated it is. Just one big, grueling land war between two nations, neither particularly better or somehow more noble than the other. I appreciate that enemy combatants are routinely taken prisoner without any real fuss or moustache-twirling on the part of the captors.

Also the protagonist's advanced bot has been used more as a force-multiplier so far rather than some wunderwaffe that can singlehandedly win the war, which is refreshing.

One thing I find interesting is how unglamourised the war is. Much of the time, people are just sitting around being bored, dealing with maintenance problems in their glitchy giant robots, and so on, and when the action rolls around we get :stare: poo poo like the protagonists pulling the old grenade-in-a-corpse trick to wipe out an enemy patrol when they stop to check whether their buddies are OK, and then blasting their way through an enemy camp as they desperately try to evacuate.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

I Did Not Enjoy Inferno Cop

fav + retweet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog/posts/970206

The Under the Dog guys seem to be getting desperate. They just updated the rewards so that anyone $20 or higher gets ALL movies they make out of the series digitally.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned what they thought about the Hanamonogatari OVA. How was it?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned what they thought about the Hanamonogatari OVA. How was it?
They're talking about it here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coaaab posted:

They're talking about it here.

Yeah, realized that this morning. :ughh:

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I find interesting is how unglamourised the war is. Much of the time, people are just sitting around being bored, dealing with maintenance problems in their glitchy giant robots, and so on, and when the action rolls around we get :stare: poo poo like the protagonists pulling the old grenade-in-a-corpse trick to wipe out an enemy patrol when they stop to check whether their buddies are OK, and then blasting their way through an enemy camp as they desperately try to evacuate.

I like this show a lot better than Aldnoa o a little sad that there's no thread for it. It's just a small squad of military dudes doing their thing. The fight from the last episode was really fun. How many episodes is it supposed to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jayisspecial posted:

I like this show a lot better than Aldnoa o a little sad that there's no thread for it. It's just a small squad of military dudes doing their thing. The fight from the last episode was really fun. How many episodes is it supposed to get?

26 episodes, iirc. I only watched a bit of it but heck, you could make a thread and that might get the few people who are keeping up with it to post about it!

• Locked thread