Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The quality of the Sonic games drops off a cliff after Sonic CD. 3D Blast and Spinball were released after Sonic CD, right?

Yeah, but you're forgetting about Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, unless you're implying those are a drop off in quality from CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sonic CD is verifiably the first bad Sonic game. Evidence: they make you go left. Sonic Adventure 2D.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The quality of the Sonic games drops off a cliff after Sonic CD. 3D Blast and Spinball were released after Sonic CD, right?

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles was also released after CD, so no it didn't.

Also my favorite SOnic games have come out rather recently. I like the classic Sonic games alot but Colors is my favorite Sonic game.

Also, anyone that like the old school Genesis platformers, you should check out Freedom Planet on steam. It's just a giant love letter to those games and it's rad as hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bubsy was a love letter to Sonic, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I find it depressing that the man behind one of the greatest text adventures ever went on to make Bubsy...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Well, it was more of a company trying to cash in on the popularity of Sonic by making their own version of him.

But still Freedom Planet is a good.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

homeless snail posted:

Sonic CD is verifiably the first bad Sonic game. Evidence: they make you go left. Sonic Adventure 2D.

You go left in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 as well. :colbert:

Sonics where you only go right are terrible. Sonic Advance 2 is not a good game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I somehow wound up with multiple copies of Sonics 1-3, multiples of Sonic Spinball, multiples of Sonic 3d blast, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic CD, Sonic R, and multiples of the Gamegear games.

Let me tell you, Sega stuff is real cheap to collect.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Rocket Knight Adventures for the Genesis is the secret best 2D platformer of all time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

Did your wife throw out more boxes and cheat on you while you were out trying to replace them?

That was a fakepost I paraphrased from some TLDR youtube guy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

That...wasn't really :tinfoil: :ohdear: me saying that!

I was MAKING IT ALL UP!! :cry:

Yeah and then I found out the guy offed himself. It felt weird.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
edit: never mind

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have now completely lost track what we are talking about.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

I have now completely lost track what we are talking about.

The plot lines and rich vast stories from Other M

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Pulseman's a good game with a fun premise. Too bad we never got it over here otherwise it could have been a classic. Also Gunstar Heroes rocks but it's barely a platformer; Shame too, because it feels great to control.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
SO. Ducktales HD! I've been eyeing it for a bit, and do need about six bucks to get my next five bucks in cashback, I enjoyed the original one (maybe, i mean, i probably did but all that stuck with me is the moon theme) so think it's a good idea? or too light in content? Or should I simply get it on PC and buy something else on the U?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

SO. Ducktales HD! I've been eyeing it for a bit, and do need about six bucks to get my next five bucks in cashback, I enjoyed the original one (maybe, i mean, i probably did but all that stuck with me is the moon theme) so think it's a good idea? or too light in content? Or should I simply get it on PC and buy something else on the U?

It's a good game. I mean it isn't very long but it's fun to play.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love it. If you liked the original and you liked Ducktales the show it's really great, especially cause they got all the original voice actors. Even Scrooge, and that guy is like 93! A lot of love and care for the show went into the remake. There's also a brand new level exclusive to the remake, as well as both classic and modern versions of its theme. All the music is done by Jake Kaufman who rules

There are TONS of cutscenes, which a lot of people complain about but it takes like one second to skip them so I don't think they are a problem at all.

Edit: If you don't like or don't care about Ducktales at all, it's still a solid platformer, but I feel like half of the game's appeal would be gone for you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the original. There's nothing wrong with the Wii U version and it has offscreen play.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, I barely remember Ducktales, not living in the U.S. and not having cable meant I only ever saw two or three episodes, did like what I saw tho. But I'm mostly wanting it for those faint memories and because I love platformers.

When I bring up the PC version it's mostly on a price basis. Gonna check the eShop, but I think i'm backing down on getting it for now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BFC posted:

Pulseman's a good game with a fun premise. Too bad we never got it over here otherwise it could have been a classic.

Ahem.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, I barely remember Ducktales, not living in the U.S. and not having cable meant I only ever saw two or three episodes, did like what I saw tho. But I'm mostly wanting it for those faint memories and because I love platformers.

When I bring up the PC version it's mostly on a price basis. Gonna check the eShop, but I think i'm backing down on getting it for now.

It's $15 on Steam right now, and $7.50 on the eShop. If you are buying based on price, the eShop version is half the price.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fremry posted:

It's $15 on Steam right now, and $7.50 on the eShop. If you are buying based on price, the eShop version is half the price.

Obviously. But I believe Steam will have it even cheaper at some point in the future, possibly in the holidays which would be a nice time to play it. I'm in no rush, getting five bucks is nice but I don't want to get something almost entirely for that.

I'll just not buy anything yet. Who knows, maybe on the next Club Nintendo rewards they'll put a fun download for the Wii U that'll push me over.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 31, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can you really not start Wii mode without a sensor bar? That's really lame. I wanted to play some Brawl on the gamepad to get ready for 4 and it turns out the required sensor bar on my tv is busted. Is there a workaround?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can you really not start Wii mode without a sensor bar? That's really lame. I wanted to play some Brawl on the gamepad to get ready for 4 and it turns out the required sensor bar on my tv is busted. Is there a workaround?

The Wii gamepad itself is a sensor bar, you should be fine.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
We used to use a pair of candles when our old Wii one broke. Don't know if that works with a Wii-U though, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ImpAtom posted:

The Wii gamepad itself is a sensor bar, you should be fine.

Yep, but it makes you use the sensor bar initially. Right before Wii mode starts it asks you to point your remote at the tv. I might try the candle trick. LEDs and lamps haven't worked.

Managed to get past that with my half broken sensor but now Brawl launches straight into a frozen screen of vertical pink/purple lines. What.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 31, 2014

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Turn off the quick start settings and boot up the Wii U by holding B on the gamepad. Works fine for me and the gamepad acts as the sensor bar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It seems that you have set it to tv/gamepad once and then every other time holding B to boot into Wii mode works without the other sensor bar. Nintendo you so silly.

Now that I'm there it would be great if someone can tell me when this happens as soon as Brawl boots up :(

http://i.imgur.com/fePKfnm.jpg

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Does it only happen with Brawl?

edit:

absolutely anything posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures for the Genesis is the secret best 2D platformer of all time.
This is someone with taste.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 31, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Unfortunately I don't have another Wii game in here to try, all the rest are packed in a box. The Wii U has been perfect since launch and all of the Wii U games work fine. The disc is in flawless condition too. Maybe it's a sign to just wait for the new one.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Welp, I thought I'd dig out my copy of Xenoblade since I never finished it and was pretty psyched to learn that I could play Wii games in Off-TV mode with the gamepad. But then I find out that I can't use the gamepad for controls, the Wii U pro controller doesn't work in Wii mode, and my old classic controller has decided to disappear on me. Is there any sort of homebrew patch that can make the Wii U read gamepad inputs?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No.:(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You don't have Wiimote-nunchuck? Xenoblade plays fine with that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Well shucks. :(

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't have Wiimote-nunchuck? Xenoblade plays fine with that.

I do, but I just prefer modern style controllers for games to don't use motion controls. :shrug:

Seriously though, I'd kill to be able to use the gamepad as a classic controller.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Unfortunately I don't have another Wii game in here to try, all the rest are packed in a box. The Wii U has been perfect since launch and all of the Wii U games work fine. The disc is in flawless condition too. Maybe it's a sign to just wait for the new one.

If I recall correctly, people had mentioned Brawl and a couple other games where more likely to have issues because the disks are dual-layered. Does anyone know if that's correct?

In any case, I'm glad you at least got Wii Mode working without the sensor bar. Ultigonio, this solution would be a good thing to include in a FAQ in the OP.

absolutely anything posted:

Ultigonio posted:

This is someone with taste.

Rocket Knight Adventures is definitely one of the best. The sequels/spinoffs on Genesis/SNES weren't bad either, though the original is still the best. I wish the remake was better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CatsPajamas posted:

If I recall correctly, people had mentioned Brawl and a couple other games where more likely to have issues because the disks are dual-layered. Does anyone know if that's correct?

In any case, I'm glad you at least got Wii Mode working without the sensor bar. Ultigonio, this solution would be a good thing to include in a FAQ in the OP.

I thought about that. The thing is, the game shows up fine on the Wii menu but that happens as soon as it launches. I think I heard one or two game noises after 30 seconds or so too. It's surprising that google can't seem to find anything similar to this.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Oh shoot, that's right. You mentioned the FAQ some number of pages back, I noticed that but forgot to respond.

I'm still thinking of how to implement the FAQ - there's a lot of information currently in it, but I'd prefer to reduce it to its simplest form to only include things that would be helpful to have around for reference (in the same way release dates are). A lot of things will be asked in the thread without anyone even glancing at the OP, and the majority of people who frequent this thread are able (and quite willing) to answer. As it is, the Quick Start menu provides a fairly functional method to get into the Wii Menu if you find yourself consistently going there for a specific game. If, however, Kilometers Davis managed to resolve their issue with SSBB, that would definitely be something that could be held for reference.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eagerly waiting my latest paycheck, where I think I might have made a little extra. Which means Wii U time, hopefully.

To continue my my run through all the main mario games, I decided to give Super Mario world 2 a try. It's sorta iffy as a "Main" entry, since the SMW2 title was only a Nintendo of America marketing tactic. And you don't play as Mario. But I had vague enough memories to give it a go and blimey - that level design really is something else. Worth the price of admission alone.

What is not worth it is the requirement to unlock secret levels. 100% EVERY LEVEL? That means I've got to collect 20 red coins and five flowers AND somehow have max health at the end of every level. Hahaha, nope.

I never played Yoshi's Story for the n64, but I never heard good things about it. And apparently the Yoshi sequels made by a Nintendo offshoot aren't great either, so I'll be skipping those. It actually works out nicely, Yoshi's Island is like the palette cleanser before I finally start playing the New Mario series.

Also, is there a 2d Mario thread? I was thinking of starting one up, since there seems to be enough chatter here about it.

Will have to give Rocket Knight a good shake sometime.

As for Sonic, I've played nearly every original Sonic game there was, including the game gear ones. Even dipped into the Sonic Advance and DIMPS entries, which are of varying quality. As for the originals, I'm quite fond of Sonic CD. It de-emphasizes speed, and the level design is unlike any other Sonic game. It also had two totally different equally awesome soundtracks - the american one might be my favorite non Donkey Kong Country soundtrack ever.

The original Sonic game is solid, but definitely shows age. Sonic 2 is a masterpiece and maybe the best thing Sega ever produced. Absolutely on par with Nintendo's best. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is sprawling and crazy and epic, but a bit thin at points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
100% Yoshi's Island is really terrible.

Just go watch a 100% speedrun of the game on Youtube, they are insanely technical.

• Locked thread