Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
And if I'm going to go down like the Hindenburg arguing really small and useless points, Varrick is a terrible one dimensional character that none of you should like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, Varrick is an excellent, two-dimensional character that all of you should love.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

If only he were a Zoroastrian.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Well, yeah, he is not a guy you want to lean on for any dramatic purposes, but for walk-on gags he is pretty great.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

And if I'm going to go down like the Hindenburg arguing really small and useless points, Varrick is a terrible one dimensional character that none of you should like.
We learned at Comic-Con that we're gonna hear about his childhood in Book 4.

Varrick is actually the best part of Book 2 because his motivations are consistent and his actions logical.

He's basically Hank Scorpio and it's amazing.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 31, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Actually yeah, putting any thought into season 2 (a thing I am terrified of because I might fall into a black hole of poor writing) I guess he's actually the least bad character.

The adventures of young steampunk magic iron man might be interesting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Varrick is fine but was overexposed in Season 2 but, much like everything else, managed to be on screen for exactly as long as he needed to be in Season 3.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
All right guys, here's the deal.

We get more reports about this thread than any other thread. There's clearly a problem here.

From what I've seen in the reports that come through and the last few pages the main issue seems to be that the thread often derails into LGBT and/or shipping talk and there's a faction in the thread that's tired of talking about that stuff too.

On one hand, unless you get creepy and/or gross or start breaking SA rules, you guys have a right to talk about whatever you want in a thread. On the other hand, sometimes a subject keeps getting rehashed and that can be irratating.

So basically after Deadpool and I talkd about this thread for awhile tonight, this is what we decided.

We don't want to have to keep closing the thread and we don't want to start handing out punishments right away.

We really don't want to say "No, you cannot talk aout LGBT issues or relationship stuff." Those are good things to talk about sometimes. On the other hand, they shouldn't be the only things to talk about. It needs to be kept out of the realm of creepy (ie don't sexualize underage characters, don't obsess over minor details). Also, keep the tumblr type stuff on tumblr (fanfic and weird fan art. A little decent non-creepy fan art here and there is okay. Again with the not derailing for pages over it though.).

If a conversation's been going on for a page or two and is going in circles, pull out and steer things to another topic.

If you are one of the "I don't want to talk about this anymore" people, just accept that it's gonna happen occasionally and you don't need to be involved in every conversation in the thread. If you don't like the way the thread is going, post about a different topic without being a dick to the people who are discussing what they're discussing.

In short, don't be creepy, and don't be dicks to one another.

If in 15 pages someone tries to start something like this again somebody just quote this post and move on. If you can't do this, then verbal bans from the thread, probations and if need be, more thread closures are in the future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys, you know I'm not a big fan of this show (or this thread). I've done my fair (or unfair) share of dumping on this thread in the past. And I probably will in the future because that's just what I do. But regardless of what you may believe I do want you guys to have a place to talk about your dumb show in this dumb forum. I want it to function well and not devolve into poo poo every month for whatever reason. I just want you guys to have a thread for your show so you can talk about it. You may think I'm just saying this because I don't want to read about the show in Couch Chat, well you're not wrong. But I also want everyone in this forum to have a place to talk about the shows they like whether I like them or not. Just listen to what Annakie said above me and let's make the thread work this time guys.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I think it's primarily an issue in-season when there is more specific discussion that's being interrupted by derails, post-season it seems like functionally a non-issue as long as rules aren't being broken or whatever. Unless some big news breaks that people want to talk about I guess?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
Studio Mir just posted this image on their facebook

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, Book 4's gonna be weird!!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wound up kinda dropping out a couple episodes into book 3. How did it turn out? Was it better than season 2?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I wound up kinda dropping out a couple episodes into book 3. How did it turn out? Was it better than season 2?
Season 3 was breathtaking.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Season 3 was the best Season of Korra by far.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh cool, guess I'm in for a treat then. Kinda glad I waited til I could just marathon the whole season.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The ending, at least, is two of the best episodes in all of Avatar.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Naga is really cute and I wish I could pet her!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's just too bad that since Naga can't fly, she's continually sidelined throughout the show. Sure she gets her moments, but overall she doesn't quite feel like as much of a character as Appa did.

That said, she still is a good doggie and Korra is the worst Avatar for forgetting her treats in The Stakeout.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ATP_Power posted:

It's just too bad that since Naga can't fly, she's continually sidelined throughout the show. Sure she gets her moments, but overall she doesn't quite feel like as much of a character as Appa did.

That said, she still is a good doggie and Korra is the worst Avatar for forgetting her treats in The Stakeout.

I would be all for Korra and Naga out in the icy tundra together exploring or something, tbh.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ATP_Power posted:

I don't think Naga not being able to fly has too much to do with it actually. Like all issues with Legend of Korra, a big part of it is that the seasons aren't as long so we don't get the side character development we did in TLA where they had time to do an Appa episode or devote some of the time in an unrelated episode to Appa.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Classic Korra: harassing a judge.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Baron Bifford posted:

Classic Korra: harassing a judge.

Classic Aang: crossdressing while on trial for murder.

Kind of sums up the tone of the two series pretty neatly actually.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
After giving it some thought, I think that I honestly prefer the animation style/quality in Korra (Studio Pierrot episodes in S2 notwithstanding) to that of ATLA. It seems crisper and just ... better somehow, while ATLA's still has a whiff of the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" plastic-bright-colors in it even in its better scenes towards the end of Season 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Korra has a better cohesion to its designs honestly. TLA has a bit of a weird mix of "obviously designed for kid's show" and more serious designs. They kinda tried to move the kid-show designs over to more serious designs around Season 3 in the original show though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Keep in mind that it also aired before HD became standard. Even if you like the series the first season is pretty low res compared to the rest of the show.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Annakie posted:

All right guys, here's the deal.

We get more reports about this thread than any other thread. There's clearly a problem here.

From what I've seen in the reports that come through and the last few pages the main issue seems to be that the thread often derails into LGBT and/or shipping talk and there's a faction in the thread that's tired of talking about that stuff too.

On one hand, unless you get creepy and/or gross or start breaking SA rules, you guys have a right to talk about whatever you want in a thread. On the other hand, sometimes a subject keeps getting rehashed and that can be irratating.

So basically after Deadpool and I talkd about this thread for awhile tonight, this is what we decided.

We don't want to have to keep closing the thread and we don't want to start handing out punishments right away.

We really don't want to say "No, you cannot talk aout LGBT issues or relationship stuff." Those are good things to talk about sometimes. On the other hand, they shouldn't be the only things to talk about. It needs to be kept out of the realm of creepy (ie don't sexualize underage characters, don't obsess over minor details). Also, keep the tumblr type stuff on tumblr (fanfic and weird fan art. A little decent non-creepy fan art here and there is okay. Again with the not derailing for pages over it though.).

If a conversation's been going on for a page or two and is going in circles, pull out and steer things to another topic.

If you are one of the "I don't want to talk about this anymore" people, just accept that it's gonna happen occasionally and you don't need to be involved in every conversation in the thread. If you don't like the way the thread is going, post about a different topic without being a dick to the people who are discussing what they're discussing.

In short, don't be creepy, and don't be dicks to one another.

If in 15 pages someone tries to start something like this again somebody just quote this post and move on. If you can't do this, then verbal bans from the thread, probations and if need be, more thread closures are in the future.

Deadpool posted:

Guys, you know I'm not a big fan of this show (or this thread). I've done my fair (or unfair) share of dumping on this thread in the past. And I probably will in the future because that's just what I do. But regardless of what you may believe I do want you guys to have a place to talk about your dumb show in this dumb forum. I want it to function well and not devolve into poo poo every month for whatever reason. I just want you guys to have a thread for your show so you can talk about it. You may think I'm just saying this because I don't want to read about the show in Couch Chat, well you're not wrong. But I also want everyone in this forum to have a place to talk about the shows they like whether I like them or not. Just listen to what Annakie said above me and let's make the thread work this time guys.

tl;dr

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Christ you guys weren't kidding. That finale was absolutely fantastic.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

After giving it some thought, I think that I honestly prefer the animation style/quality in Korra (Studio Pierrot episodes in S2 notwithstanding) to that of ATLA. It seems crisper and just ... better somehow, while ATLA's still has a whiff of the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" plastic-bright-colors in it even in its better scenes towards the end of Season 3.
Mike and Bryan have talked about how, after working on Korra and getting used to that more realistic style, they can't watch ATLA without noticing the cartooniness of the the character models, specifically the size of the heads.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The animation in ATLA is obviously still great, even in the first season, but the actual drawings look kind of cheap and low detail a lot of the time in ways that Korra doesn't. Much of this is probably due to SD and advances in digital colouring, but going from one to the other in rapid succession as I did was an enormous goddamn sea change.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that Bolin's birdcall bit is a lot less awful if you take it as a tongue-in-cheek reference to some of the more kiddish plans in the original series, like that time they got all those people out of Omashu by having them fake a sickness that was actually just markings caused by a cute little anime face hugger.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Hakkesshu posted:

The animation in ATLA is obviously still great, even in the first season, but the actual drawings look kind of cheap and low detail a lot of the time in ways that Korra doesn't. Much of this is probably due to SD and advances in digital colouring, but going from one to the other in rapid succession as I did was an enormous goddamn sea change.

I started going through the show from the first episode again and this was the DVD 'remastered' version. I have to agree that outside of fights and some more animated segments (particularly the comedic ones), the rest is your typical western animation, but the hybrid of western and eastern animation styles helped the visuals a lot. Every episode does have some very nice touches.

But Korra is a huge step up from ATLA in terms of visuals.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think the birdcall thing is still awful when you consider the direness of the situation and that most of the characters in the scene are adults or on the cusp of adulthood. That sort of thing works when your characters are 12-14 years old, but when you're 17 and some middle-aged characters have just finished a serious discussion about the logistics of trying to save a culture from disaster, well... Mako's reaction was pretty understated, all things considered.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Nat posted:

I think the birdcall thing is still awful when you consider the direness of the situation and that most of the characters in the scene are adults or on the cusp of adulthood. That sort of thing works when your characters are 12-14 years old, but when you're 17 and some middle-aged characters have just finished a serious discussion about the logistics of trying to save a culture from disaster, well... Mako's reaction was pretty understated, all things considered.
It's really the same thing as with the last seven minutes of Book 1, where you can make a solid argument for what they may have been trying to do, and that sort of makes it go down less painfully, but the execution is still indefensibly awful.

The difference of course is that one is a throwaway gag and the other is the climax of the whole series up to that point.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

PupsOfWar posted:

this franchise has always had the best comic-relief varmints

big noble varmint + small mischievous varmint is a good formula that more kids' shows should adopt, maybe invert.

Gif just reminded me I need to own a Pabu doll. Something to absorb my tears over the fact that red panda/ferret hybrids don't actually exist. :qq:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't get why people harp on that birdcall so hard. It comes and goes so fast I'm surprised anyone even remembered it. I didn't even really notice it until my second watch of the episode.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Serella posted:

Gif just reminded me I need to own a Pabu doll. Something to absorb my tears over the fact that red panda/ferret hybrids don't actually exist. :qq:

Just give a red panda some cocaine. Red Pandas are really adorable by themselves:

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

JT Smiley posted:

I don't get why people harp on that birdcall so hard. It comes and goes so fast I'm surprised anyone even remembered it. I didn't even really notice it until my second watch of the episode.

Or the 'put a sock in it' part, it's the same bit they did in ATLA after Ozai loses. Sokka literally makes whooshy noises and then calls Ozai a loser and they make fun of him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

JT Smiley posted:

Like I said before, I think it would have been fine even in such a serious scene if Bolin had just known when to end the joke. It's the way he drags it out when it's obviously not working that kills me.

I never had a problem with the sock/Zaheer thing, partly because it was an obvious callback to Ozai and because I thought it was kind of fitting for a villain that spends most of his screen time giving pretentious speeches about his ideals. I thought he was a great character overall but I really hate villains who do the "I just finished philosophy 101" monologues every time they appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

JT Smiley posted:

It just exemplifies what's wrong with Bolin's character. He's the guy that's there for awkward, unfunny comic relief. The difference between him and Sokka is that at least Sokka had more to his personality, whereas Bolin kind of doesn't most of the time.

• Locked thread