Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Anyway, the trivia is that I hadn't remembered that the farmer's daughter is Amy Adams, the first time I recall seeing her (I'm sure she acted previously), and it's also the first time, in retrospect, I recall seeing John Gallagher. #BartletChat #WhatsNext

She was in Smallville and Buffy before that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

i love dicks

death to israel

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm sorry bad moon rising is the best episode if only for the opener in Babish's office with the tape recorder.

Everything from Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail through Manchester, Part II should be disqualified under a mercy rule for all other episodes. It may be the best stretch of television episodes ever, but it certainly is the best stretch of the West Wing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Nixon: I mean, you’ve got to stop at a certain point. Why is it that the girls don’t swear? Because a man, when he swears, people can’t tolerate a girl who is a—

Haldeman: Girls do swear.

Nixon: Huh?

Haldeman: They do now.

I'll loving punch a person who calls Nixon a stealth progressive or something, but I'll go to my grave maintaining that Nixon was our funniest president by leaps and bounds.

I mean, he didn't MEAN to be, but still, counts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gooniest President, certainly.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

Everything from Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail through Manchester, Part II should be disqualified under a mercy rule for all other episodes. It may be the best stretch of television episodes ever, but it certainly is the best stretch of the West Wing.
Yeah, I agree completely. I just got through that bit last week. I still think 20 Hours In America is up in the top 5, just not sure where. It's pretty top notch all the way through Game On and starts to get spotty after that, though Sorkin's whole "gently caress you" to end the fourth season with John Goodman was pretty drat good, frankly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Gooniest President, certainly.

My dream Nixon biopic is to have a man just dressed as Nixon, acting out Nixon Tapes moments, and play the Curb Your Enthusiasm music between every reading.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

She was in Smallville and Buffy before that:

Also the dialogues in Buffy are better than those in the West Wing.

Joss Whedon rules, Aaron Sorkin drools. :dukedog:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Are you telling me that the vampire and spaceship and comic book guy is more beloved by goons? GTFO!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sorkin and Whedon are both equally up their own rear end and think they're way smarter than they are but at least Sorkin's point is usually 'hey maybe we can loving expect better from the people in power' as opposed to Whedon's point of "PEW PEW PEW CHECK OUT THESE SEXY FEET"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My dream Nixon biopic is to have a man just dressed as Nixon, acting out Nixon Tapes moments, and play the Curb Your Enthusiasm music between every reading.

That...actually sounds drat amazing. I'm surprised nobody's done something like this yet, apart from that one resignation speech re-enactment.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

My Imaginary GF posted:

That...actually sounds drat amazing. I'm surprised nobody's done something like this yet, apart from that one resignation speech re-enactment.
This, but with Nixon instead of fat people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjf8T5k6Mk

I know he's saying between scenes, but imagine someone following Nixon around just playing goofball circus-y music as he rants at paintings and bitches about the queers!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ReindeerF posted:

This, but with Nixon instead of fat people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjf8T5k6Mk

I know he's saying between scenes, but imagine someone following Nixon around just playing goofball circus-y music as he rants at paintings and bitches about the queers!

I'll also accept this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sports Night was abominable. Just the dumbest, most cringe-inducing, poorly written, awful piece of poo poo of a show. How does it still have defenders. The Norm Show had better jokes and more emotional resonance than Sports Night.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Sorkin and Whedon are both equally up their own rear end and think they're way smarter than they are but at least Sorkin's point is usually 'hey maybe we can loving expect better from the people in power' as opposed to Whedon's point of "PEW PEW PEW CHECK OUT THESE SEXY FEET"

It's just more fun to listen to Whedon's character talk than Sorkin's. Sorkin's just sound really fake. One reason The Social Network was really offputting to me.

That being said, I kind of lost interest in Whedon somewhere around Dollhouse. I'm perfectly okay with not watching anything else of his ever again. It's not like he's a real genius like Buñuel or Jodorowsky.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Or Milius!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3QO86jb8A

EAATTT MEEEEE

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
If anyone hasn't seen Conan the Barbarian with the director's commentary on, fix that poo poo. It's seriously Milius creepily talking about how lithe and supple all the women were and Arnold drunkenly laughing at parts of the movie he'd forgotten.

Edit: http://youtu.be/GSqnFxVaIx4

Stunning Honky fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 31, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just more fun to listen to Whedon's character talk than Sorkin's. Sorkin's just sound really fake. One reason The Social Network was really offputting to me.

That being said, I kind of lost interest in Whedon somewhere around Dollhouse. I'm perfectly okay with not watching anything else of his ever again. It's not like he's a real genius like Buñuel or Jodorowsky.

His adaption of Much Ado About Nothing was great.

E: Arnold's commentary on Total Recall consists of him narrating what happens on screen and saying how awesome it is.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yeah I'll watch any commentary with the Gov

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
One of my favorite commentaries is the John Carpenter & Kurt Russell commentary on the anniversary edition of Big Trouble In Little China.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the best commentaries are the mr show dvds whenever someone's in character

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

hello friends, did anything exciting happen in the past 1500 pages?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UT won tonight woooo Texas Fight etc

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It's a good thing too because if we had lost to UNT I'm 100% sure someone would have burned a cross in Charlie Strong's front yard

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Badger of Basra posted:

It's a good thing too because if we had lost to UNT I'm 100% sure someone would have burned a cross in Charlie Strong's front yard
Oh the "Come on, black coaches can't really win, look at [example]" alumni crew is in full express for sure. To quote Toby Ziegler, "They'll like us when we win."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

He's not a hip hop coach!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but TYRONE WILLINGHAM etc etc etc.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh I was quoting some columnist who said that when they named him. There were some posts in here somewhere about it, it was incredibly unsubtle "He's black!!!!" type stuff.

P.S. Red McCombs is an rear end in a top hat

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, a lot of the old alums are fascinating, but they also came from a time when UT was the last all white national champion, heh. They love Earl Campbell, but they're not ready for the coach to be, well, you know - urban (Urban, no problem). The next couple of generations running into the 1990s have vestiges of this too in my experience.

Hopefully this guy will kick rear end and they'll all shut the gently caress up.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mooyashi posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Conan the Barbarian with the director's commentary on, fix that poo poo. It's seriously Milius creepily talking about how lithe and supple all the women were and Arnold drunkenly laughing at parts of the movie he'd forgotten.

Edit: http://youtu.be/GSqnFxVaIx4

Isn't there a bit in this where Milius* starts talking about what his plans for Conan the Destroyer were before the studio gave it to a different director, Arnold makes some comment about how it's a shame the movie never got a sequel, and it comes out that Arnold had entirely forgotten being in Conan the Destroyer?

*By some reports, an enormous goon in person, and definitely part of the inspiration for Walter from The Big Lebowski.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Whedon's point is "the patriarchy needs to be literally destroyed":

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Isn't there a bit in this where Milius* starts talking about what his plans for Conan the Destroyer were before the studio gave it to a different director, Arnold makes some comment about how it's a shame the movie never got a sequel, and it comes out that Arnold had entirely forgotten being in Conan the Destroyer?

*By some reports, an enormous goon in person, and definitely part of the inspiration for Walter from The Big Lebowski.

To be fair, I think everyone else forgot that movie too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Whedon's point is "the patriarchy needs to be literally destroyed":

He says as much, but I don't think his works shows that much for it. Whedon feminimism is mainly a woman punching a guy in the face.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Progress!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ufarn posted:

He says as much, but I don't think his works shows that much for it. Whedon feminimism is mainly a woman punching a guy in the face.

Season 3 is about Buffy refusing to be part of an organization consisting of old white men telling her what to do. Season 7 is about how the Watchers forced a woman to get all the slayer powers because they were to chickenshit to do it themselves. And when they became afraid that the women might rebel against them they made sure that only one at the time would have such powers and that she would be controlled by a man. Buffy then decides that everyone should those powers and do with them what they wanted regardless of what the men would wish.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just more fun to listen to Whedon's character talk than Sorkin's.

I have the exact opposite experience. Sorkin does conversations like nobody's business and if you like a good monologue nobody does pontificating better. I feel Whedon's scripts are carried on the broken backs of his actors (mostly the ones that work with him the most, or "regulars"), and even then, sometimes no amount of acting can wipe all that red from his ledger :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Progress!
It's better than nothing, but we're kinda over Peggy Carter punching dudes in the face. We need the screenwriters to step it up a notch now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

First Bass posted:

I have the exact opposite experience. Sorkin does conversations like nobody's business and if you like a good monologue nobody does pontificating better. I feel Whedon's scripts are carried on the broken backs of his actors (mostly the ones that work with him the most, or "regulars"), and even then, sometimes no amount of acting can wipe all that red from his ledger :v:

All Sorkin's characters do is pontificate. Even when they're dialoguing, they're basically duologuing.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i wouldn't say sorkin and whedon are good at dialogue because nobody talks like that. it's fun to listen to (mainly with whedon, not so much with sorkin), but come on.

obviously, their style fits very well with what they make - political soaps and comic book to screen adaptations, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

i wouldn't say sorkin and whedon are good at dialogue because nobody talks like that. it's fun to listen to (mainly with whedon, not so much with sorkin), but come on.

If I wanted realistic conversations I'd watch The Big Lebowski. ;)

• Locked thread