Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Flytrap posted:

Not my fault the modelers are lazy. There is some difference, when I first saw her I squinted and asked myself "is that what a Turain woman looks like"? But it wasn't a major difference. I think she's just a bit thinner maybe? It's been a while since I played Omega.

She has a funny face and has a skirt on her armor. Progressive......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay: Menae

I'll try to keep this no longer than my post on Sur'Kesh.

Menae's big problem is that it's visually boring; so visually boring that the standard tricks in level design stop working. Menae attempts to make you take a hike, gives you ample opportunity to look at the skybox and chat with your team about the environment, and even attempts to include some transitions in gameplay, but it's so samey and dull that these tricks fall flat. Compared to what people were expecting -- the chance to go to Palaven, "a silver world of fortresses and fire" in the game's own words -- Menae is a flat brown turd of a level.

To give an overview, Menae is four main locations connected by some standard meandering paths with line-of-sight-blocking terrain to disguise their proximity. The terrain is generally flat and the locations are mostly combat arenas populated with lots of instances of a single prefab building model, lots of boxes, and a fighter model that is seriously reused like 60 times. Menae is designed to make you look up, as Lt. Danger pointed out; the skybox is dominated by a couple Reapers stomping around in front of Palaven, and there are a couple Turian ships fighting and crashing in the distance. A skybox isn't a level, however, no matter how interesting.

Issue the First: Menae is a naked heightmap. There's no grass or vegetation to disguise the world's basic geometry, and technical limitations make the exposed rock and dirt look like, in all honestly, a blurry pile of poo poo. To get realistic-looking scree terrain requires going into CryEngine's configuration files and turning on some specific occlusion settings; Unreal III is just not up to the task of displaying bare dirt that doesn't look terrible. This is a problem that was roundly criticized in Mass Effect's side mission planets and was eliminated in Mass Effect 2's smaller but lusciously embellished sidequest planet locations. To have it re-emerge in Mass Effect 3's main quest is somewhat scandalous.

Here you can see the naked heightmap. A lot of the cover areas are just blatantly squares of raised dirt.

Issue the Second: Reused/boring assets. Menae is populated by Turian soldiers in palette-swapped armor, a single prefab building that makes up both major camp areas, a fighter model sitting all over the place and also flying around sometimes, and a comm tower that they apparently couldn't restrain themselves from copying just once. The upshot is that everywhere in the level feels pretty much like everywhere else in the level, from the reused models to the bare heightmaps. This is why the level's game attempt to have transitions between defending a comm tower, doing a turret section, and hiking to the second camp fall flat. Nothing about any of those sections feels like a transition, because they're all so visually samey.

This is everything wrong with Menae. Notice that every structure is identical, and that blocks of cover are obviously just poorly textured blocks of ground/heightmap geometry. Meanwhile the whole thing is just oppressively drab.

Is this the camp we saw above? It's not; it's an inaccessible area with mostly empty prefab structures. But you'd be forgiven for thinking so!

This radio dish will reappear only once, a sign of great restraint on the designers' part.

Issue the Third: Limited enemies. The developers decided to introduce Reaper enemies gradually, so Menae gets the shaft here by being the first non-tutorial mission with Reaper enemies. This mission has the Husk, Cannibal, Marauder and Brute, but they're introduced sequentially. You spend most of the level fighting Husks, with Marauders only introduced halfway through and about four Brutes total. This adds to the sameness of the level, as you fight through identical enemies in identical terrain.

That's basically it. Menae actually incorporates some good design ideas; it attempts to switch up gameplay, attempts to call attention to the skybox without being another balcony layout, has a long walk in the middle to avoid gameplay fatigue, and the environment matters enough for Shepard and squad to comment on it, but it's all such a drab sack of poo poo that none of this ends up working. Video games are a visual medium, and the skybox is ultimately not the environment the player has to engage with. Instead the player is sent to two more or less identical flat brown areas to fight, and sent to two virtually identical camp areas differing only in the layout of their identical prefab structures. Yawn.

Stray observations:

Attempting to draw your player's attention to the sky clashes with a basic tenet of level design: obscure the horizon. Menae tries to do both, which means that while there is always that vista there in the sky it's often blocked off to hide the proximity of different areas. Since Lt. Danger pointed out that Menae is intentionally drab to draw the player's attention to the sky, this leads to the problem of having drab blurry textured heightmap ground obscuring the sky in lots of areas.

You might think that this radio tower is a visual touchstone for the level to help you get your bearings, but it's not. It's a reused model in the distance. Palaven and a wrecked Turian cruiser are actually the only unique things in the level, and they're both in the skybox.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 27, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just realized this game is so aesthetically grounded in its retro-future aesthetic that it's literally set in the '80s.

Also I killed the thread.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's a "heightmap"?

It hasn't been so long since I played the game (and I kinda watched the video as well), but I completey forgot you move between different camps on Palaven, instead of going back to the same one (even though Garrus and his hilarious backwards jog were the highlight of the mission in my original playthrough).

Oh yeah - Danger mentioned Raymond E Feist in one of the previous videos, but neglected to point out that the videogame Betrayal at Krondor (based on the series but not a specific book, IIRC) actually had a party that (ostensibly) didn't get along, what with one being a suspicious dirty dark elf and another being a kid who basically forced himself into the questline. The conflict only really manifests in a few cutscenes, but hey - some improvement.

For that matter, most of the party in ME1 couldn't really stand each other - see elevator banter and the like. I guess everyone bonded over the course of three games (+ whatever spinoff media, obviously).

The ME2 party members were also apparently supposed to have a bunch of confrontations that you'd only be able to defuse with enough magic persuasion points, but that Jack and Miranda's was the only one that made it into the finished game.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 30, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was another thing KOTOR2 did well, I think: your party members are a diverse mix of good and bad people, and there are a bunch of scenes that show them not getting along, snarking at each other and getting into a fight on at least one occasion. A couple of these (were intended to) come to a head at the end of the game (if it hadn't been released before they finished it) with the droid characters having a three-way confrontation that's decided by your actions earlier on. But throughout the game they conveniently put these differences aside to fight for you as your party members, which turns out to be a plot point. I haven't played Planescape Torment(the first Chris Avellone Joint) but I've heard a similar concept was used in that game, and the slave collars in Dead Money aren't a million miles away.

The last video has convinced me to kill Mordin in ME2 if I play through the series again. Wiks's little satisfied "for eternity" before blowing up was a good way to go out, and felt less cheesy than Mordin humming The Song the whole time.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

2house2fly posted:

The last video has convinced me to kill Mordin in ME2 if I play through the series again. Wiks's little satisfied "for eternity" before blowing up was a good way to go out, and felt less cheesy than Mordin humming The Song the whole time.

Mordin has other death dialogue for that scene were he comments on the Krogan and everyone having a new future, which is nice if still cheesy. Good luck getting it to activate though; I'm not sure what triggers it still even after multiple playthroughs other than maybe NOT hearing The Song in ME2 or not talking to Mordin when he's on board the Normandy in ME3.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

2house2fly posted:

That was another thing KOTOR2 did well, I think: your party members are a diverse mix of good and bad people, and there are a bunch of scenes that show them not getting along, snarking at each other and getting into a fight on at least one occasion.

One thing that irked me a bit in relation to this was just how agreeable everyone was to Shepard, regardless of alignment. Like back in ME2, when Miranda and Jack are fighting Shepard can give the Renegade response of telling them to knock it off or he'll crush them or whathaveyou. Right away they back down, which is something I didn't think fit either character (particularly Jack).

I mean they tried something like this back in ME1 with Wrex, but since then everyone just winds up being a flock of sheep to Shepard (lol). For some characters like Garrus it makes sense, but for others who have beliefs or personalities that contrasted Shepard's alignment it didn't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

What's a "heightmap"?

It's the basic physical geometry of the world, although the term might be outdated.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The ME2 party members were also apparently supposed to have a bunch of confrontations that you'd only be able to defuse with enough magic persuasion points, but that Jack and Miranda's was the only one that made it into the finished game.
Tali and Legion also have a confrontation. Grunt and Mordin were at some point also supposed to have a confrontation about the Genophage, but it got cut. There's still some dialogue left of it in the files.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Raygereio posted:

Tali and Legion also have a confrontation. Grunt and Mordin were at some point also supposed to have a confrontation about the Genophage, but it got cut. There's still some dialogue left of it in the files.

Huh. Forgot about that.

Was Thane supposed to have a go at Jacob for some reason as well? (A fierce competition over who has the best abs?)

Zaeed vs Kasumi?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the basic physical geometry of the world, although the term might be outdated.

It is outdated. The only heightmaps in ME3 are in the specular layer for textures.

In the old days, a way to get 3d terrain without spending a lot of calculation time rendering polygons for the world was to take a height map--which is a 2d black and white image that represents the altitude of a given point on a plain superimposed on top of a 3d render. Then the terrain would be rendered out into a bitmap, the picture would be superimposed on the heightmap and characters or units would use the heightmap data to figure out pathing and visual offset for being higher or lower than something else. In the case of Total Annihilation, it was even used to reorient units so they looked like they were tilted as they traveled up hill. So you look at something like Baldur's Gate, (maybe, I'm not 100% sure they needed a heightmap in that game, because they could just have used some occlusion and prerenders to do it all--it's a very flat looking world as I recall), and that's how they're faking the stuff like going up a ramp/stairs, or firing up at an angle when someone is standing on a hill.

I think what you were saying was that the level is modeled to be very barren. It doesn't have any textures occluding the ground, like you see on a place that has plants or something. Though I don't know what to make of that, exactly, since I'm trying hard and can't really remember many spots in ME3 (or 2 or 1) that have much in the way of plants, or ground-hugging fog, or whatever. It's a lot of asteroids, snow fields, sterile interiors, and deserts.

Menae is open and desolate in a way that not a lot of the maps in ME are, so that's kind of what I thought you meant. But maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Edit: Another way heightmaps were used was in engines that would calculate the geometry of terrain at runtime in order to more efficiently store very large maps. Tribes 2 might have done this? I think there were some flight sim style games like Magic Carpet that did this too. I think to a large extent this practice is fallen by the wayside because we're all much more used to having gigs and gigs of data from a game install, and the bulk of that comes from A/V and high res textures. In comparison, compressed geometry probably doesn't make as big a difference to install size at it used to. In any case, ME3 has no roaming environments or large maps by current standards. I'm pretty sure it's all just stored as geometry, since the walls don't have that telltale 'steep hill' look that let's you know it's runtime geometry using a heightmap.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
These days most 3D engines build the 'ground' with a heightmap and then add geometry extrusions and objects on top of the base heightmap. I have no idea how ME3's dev tools worked but when Arglebargle says 'heightmap' what he means is that the chunks of cover are just extrusions of the ground geometry that you are walking on with some objects taped to the side to hide the edges a bit. If you look closely you can see how the ground texture just sort of fades into the rock texture, that's because the ground geometry is just curving up to become the wall.

Note that these days the images that serve as heightmaps are way more detailed and are more like normal maps that get turned into 'real' geometry by the engine: In some engines the heightmap maps one pixel to like a 1cm square of terrain. To make matters even more complicated many dev tools allow devs to 'sculpt' the basic ground geometry which the tool then automatically turns into a valid heightmap :v:

This is one of the reasons why voxel based engines are theoretically superior to standard 3d engines as with a voxel engine you are just working with the sculpted geometry directly as a volumetric mass instead of as a skin of polygons. In practice there are some other issues including the fact that switching to a voxel system is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 31, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

I haven't played Planescape Torment(the first Chris Avellone Joint) but I've heard a similar concept was used in that game, and the slave collars in Dead Money aren't a million miles away.

Do yourself a favor and play it. If you can stomach the graphics at all; I still maintain it's the best videogame story ever done. I would however suggest not doing what Lt. Danger is talking about in the last video and just react your way as opposed to roleplaying - the game doesn't have an influence system per se but tracks certain events and varies the final section depending on it and a lot of it is based on questioning the player's beliefs, not the character's.

It's got a lot of text written in an faux-1900s slang and the combat is pretty bad but that's one case where the story and setting makes up for it so much. Even the random NPCs with no plot significance will give you stuff to think about.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 31, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man I just realized Liara sits down and plays the Mass Effect title screen music on the piano in the Citadel DLC. I knew it sounded vaguely familiar.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Do yourself a favor and play it. If you can stomach the graphics at all; I still maintain it's the best videogame story ever done. I would however suggest not doing what Lt. Danger is talking about in the last video and just react your way as opposed to roleplaying - the game doesn't have an influence system per se but tracks certain events and varies the final section depending on it and a lot of it is based on questioning the player's beliefs, not the character's.

It's got a lot of text written in an faux-1900s slang and the combat is pretty bad but that's one case where the story and setting makes up for it so much. Even the random NPCs with no plot significance will give you stuff to think about.

Go mage (after the mortuary go to the norhwest transit zone, iirc in the next map at the south end there's either a woman or a woman in a house who'll train you to become a mage), dump all points into intelligence, wisdom and charisma and get the most dialogue choices you can get your greedy hands on

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Arglebargle III posted:

Man I just realized Liara sits down and plays the Mass Effect title screen music on the piano in the Citadel DLC. I knew it sounded vaguely familiar.

I think that was one of the only things that I :3: at during this game. Well actually I did that pretty much every time that piece came up because it's such a nice, somber piece and when you hear it in this game you sit there thinking "I done good :unsmith:" even though you just saw Mordin blow up

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Arglebargle III posted:

Said title screen music is actually the Vigil theme. :eng101:

Mass Effect did a lot of neat little things with its soundtrack, for example, Saren's theme is the same thing as the Game Over music. 2's main title theme is much the same as the Suicide Mission track, and compare 3's opening theme with An End, Once And For All.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

double nine posted:

Go mage (after the mortuary go to the norhwest transit zone, iirc in the next map at the south end there's either a woman or a woman in a house who'll train you to become a mage), dump all points into intelligence, wisdom and charisma and get the most dialogue choices you can get your greedy hands on

PS:T is one of the very few RPGs I have ever played where you can finish the game without ever really fighting anything. I think there are only like 2 instances in the game where you must fight something in order to continue the story and you can use talkies to make those fights substantially easier.

I remember reading this thing about PS:T from one of the devs awhile back talking about how the script for the game containing all the dialogue in the entire game ran something like 800,000 words.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 1, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I just wanted to chime in rather late on the opening scene of ME3 in Vancouver, since I've just gotten there in my replay of the series.

Why are there so many Reapers. Every scene in this section would be far more impactful if we were shown a single Reaper causing all this devastation. Having half a dozen of the shits in a single city on one planet deflates the Reapers as a threat as soon as the 'holy poo poo!' moment wears off.

Imagine if, instead of some dipshit broadcast from the UK, we got a fresh Reaper face broadcasting a message to Earth, and more specifically to Shepard. "Shepard. You have failed. Prepare for your species' ascension." Then a Sovereign-class Reaper crashes down in the middle of Vancouver, everything blows up, and the scenario continues as normal.

Then, right as you leave Earth, a second Reaper appears; the city's already in flames, one Reaper was bad enough. It sells the unstoppability of them far better than seven or eight of the things scuttling all over future-Vancouver.

(I'll take my bad fanfic and go now :blush:)

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

ungulateman posted:

I just wanted to chime in rather late on the opening scene of ME3 in Vancouver, since I've just gotten there in my replay of the series.

Why are there so many Reapers. Every scene in this section would be far more impactful if we were shown a single Reaper causing all this devastation. Having half a dozen of the shits in a single city on one planet deflates the Reapers as a threat as soon as the 'holy poo poo!' moment wears off.

Imagine if, instead of some dipshit broadcast from the UK, we got a fresh Reaper face broadcasting a message to Earth, and more specifically to Shepard. "Shepard. You have failed. Prepare for your species' ascension." Then a Sovereign-class Reaper crashes down in the middle of Vancouver, everything blows up, and the scenario continues as normal.

Then, right as you leave Earth, a second Reaper appears; the city's already in flames, one Reaper was bad enough. It sells the unstoppability of them far better than seven or eight of the things scuttling all over future-Vancouver.

(I'll take my bad fanfic and go now :blush:)

No, you're right and your idea would be pretty effective. It would set up Shepard for a more emotional tie-in with the Reapers actively taunting him/her, and sets the stage for self-doubt by Shep and the galaxy at large. If they also showed maybe the Earth fleet fighting hard against the Reapers but one or two slipping past in orbit it would also create tension; humanity CAN fight these things, but for how long? In the actual game though the Alliance fleet is seemingly torn to shreds above Earth, which always bothered me because it's like "So the Reapers seemingly just marched right up to Earth almost unopposed? So... how will Humanity last more than a week if their primary Earth defense force is gone and the Reapers seem to be that powerful?"

A great example of similar storytelling is what happens in Halo Reach. The Covenant arrive at Reach in a single super-carrier, and the first half of the game is showing how it's an uphill battle against them for the humans with just that relatively small Covenant invasion fleet. Then once the plan to destroy it works, more than a dozen other super-carriers warp into orbit. And it's kind of a huge "Oh poo poo... :staredog:" moment because you know that the human population on Reach are really, really screwed at that point.

ME3 doesn't do a good job in terms of showing how vicious and unstoppable the Reapers are. Stuff gets blown up, and its implied that they conduct horrible experiments with the Reaper enemies you fight, but a lot of their large scale destructive prowess is implied more than anything else. You hear about them being bad guys... but because you mostly only hear about them being bad guys, they don't exactly feel like the most threatening thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's hilarious how Harbinger just disappears as a character. Yes, he was pretty underwhelming and they were unable to recapture the magic of chatting with Sovereign, but holy crap he just vanishes from the story. Mass Effect 2 doesn't really need a main antagonist but ME3 could arguably use one to help tie Shepard to the progression of the Reaper fight or the Crucible. We've already spilled a fair amount of ink on how Shepard's activities in 3 can be tangential to what is ostensibly the plot.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 1, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually hes totally there; Harbinger is the Reaper that shoots you in the ending sequence. That's right Harbinger is so obsessed with Shepard that it personally comes to Earth just to shoot him and then leaves.

He shows up nowhere else in ME3. Nowhere. That is his entire contribution to the game; he shows up at the end to shoot you. Then he goes home.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Part 12: Religion

Further Reading

Thane vs Kai Leng: http://youtu.be/6kDikcnkn9Y
Francisco Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son: http://lpix.org/1790297/saturn-devouring-one-of-his-children-1823.jpg
Deleted Ashley Conversation: http://egmr.net/2012/04/mass-effect-3-deleted-cutscene-surfaces/*

Let's play a game!

Take a character from Mass Effect and diagnose for daddy issues. Who's at fault for each conflict? Is there a cyclic element, like repeating past mistakes? Is there a deeper conflict at work?

* I double-checked this after recording the video and there may be some doubt about whether it's actually real. Some of the lines are clunky enough to have been written by a redditor, but that also means they're clunky enough to have been written by Bioware. I vaguely remember watching it on Youtube, but it isn't up there now, so take it as apocrypha!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Sorry for being late with the update - I moved house this weekend. Life in general is going to get busier for me so I'll try for a weekly update from now on.

We're halfway through so hopefully it shouldn't take too long to finish. Thanks for all your patience.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I quite like Menae's starkness but I can't argue with this post.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

I quite like Menae's starkness but I can't argue with this post.

I like Haestrom's starkness in ME2, Menae is stark only at the horizon. I do sympathize with liking the idea for an area but you can do artistic and well-made at the same time, it's even been done in the same series.

I'd just like to say, CryEngine's occlusion mapping for realistic rocks and gravel is amazing. I forget exactly what it's called but it's some kind of occlusion mapping that takes a flat surface and applies an occlusion map to it so that small painted-on objects (like stones) will occlude each other in a way that creates the optical illusion that it's actually a rough bed of pebbles and stones. You have to literally get (your character) down on your hands and knees and move your head back and forth (Crysis supports this) to see that it's an illusion and you're actually staring at a flat surface. Unreal III however does not have that capability.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, so the Synthesize ending , going by that explanation of the theme of the game, means that solution to the problem is Zeus and Cronos merging into some sort of Akira-esque beast? :gonk:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Kai Leng was designed to be intentionally irritating, and your description of him as ME3's version of a creeper internet goon/redditor/tv troper had me doubling over.

By the way, Lt. Danger. I'm interested in, if you haven't talked about it before, your thoughts on the Tuchanka arc alternate ending, where Mordin/Padok live and the genophage isn't cured.

I'm curious because while I ended up liking it as an alternate capstone to Mordin's story, convincing him to prioritize the galaxy's stability over his personal redemption ala his ME2 philosophy, but I also feel that the concept ultimately was as a larger cop out than the traditional Tuchanka ending.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 2, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

*quiet sobbing*

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

To be fair, Reaperfied London is just as drab as actual London, just with more destroyed buildings.

You know what would've been dope, setting that level in Bangkok or Macau.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CPFortest posted:

To be fair, Reaperfied London is just as drab as actual London, just with more destroyed buildings.

You know what would've been dope, setting that level in Bangkok or Macau.

What is this nonsense didn't you know 'Humans' means upstanding white english speaking gentlemen? None of these asian hooligans.

One of these days a video game involving aliens invading will have them invade somewhere that isn't english speaking. But not today! (At least Pacific Rim managed to not be set in America :v:)

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Let's just make it as non-white as possible. Set the level in Ethiopia or Iraq, do some end where it all began poo poo.

At least they didn't set that level in New York, which would've been way lamer than London.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Say what you want about Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer is better at incoherent screaming.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

CPFortest posted:

Let's just make it as non-white as possible. Set the level in Ethiopia or Iraq, do some end where it all began poo poo.

At least they didn't set that level in New York, which would've been way lamer than London.

As I recall, Halo ODST did this quite nicely.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

McKilligan posted:

As I recall, Halo ODST did this quite nicely.

It's too bad that the siege of Earth was Halo's version of the Machines attacking Zion, since it was actually pretty amazing that pretty much every scene on Earth in the latter Halo games took place in Africa.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I thought we weren't doing ending chat.

CPFortest posted:

I'm curious because while I ended up liking it as an alternate capstone to Mordin's story, convincing him to prioritize the galaxy's stability over his personal redemption ala his ME2 philosophy, but I also feel that the concept ultimately was as a larger cop out than the traditional Tuchanka ending.

There's something worth mentioning but I'm not sure if this is violating no-ending-chat since it's an alternate bit that we definitely won't see - Lt.?

EDIT: As a side note, this LP inspired me to replay ME1 on NG+, as a Vanguard with Singularity as a bonus power. I'm rolling with Kaidan/Wrex who make a nice team. The most annoying things are vendor scrap (easy enough to deal with since there is rarely anything worth keeping) and the random nature of good items (I needed to complete Bring Down The Sky to get a decent omnitool for Kaidan.) Overall the game has held up pretty well.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 2, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
ME1 is perfectly playable and enjoyable and fantastic without any qualifier or reservation if you use .ini editing to make Shep sprint at Mach 2 outside of combat. Makes the game a nice managable 15-20 hours or so even with all the dialogue and cuts out the Mako since you run ten times faster than its top driving speed with more control to boot, meaning you cut traverse times while getting more XP in the open world segments so you get that sweet Rich achievement and its Spectre gear that much sooner.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I loved driving the Mako with its insane physics, I spent hours ramping it off various mountains.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Willie Tomg posted:

ME1 is perfectly playable and enjoyable and fantastic without any qualifier or reservation if you use .ini editing to make Shep sprint at Mach 2 outside of combat. Makes the game a nice managable 15-20 hours or so even with all the dialogue and cuts out the Mako since you run ten times faster than its top driving speed with more control to boot, meaning you cut traverse times while getting more XP in the open world segments so you get that sweet Rich achievement and its Spectre gear that much sooner.

The combat would still blow. Especially after every other enemy unlocks Immunity and refuses to die unless you hose them for several seconds after they fall down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Willie Tomg posted:

Wait, this is a thing you can do? :getin:

I need to replay ME1.

• Locked thread