Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Derp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
What are some good logic-based puzzle game downloads? I have already played through the Picross E series and all the NIkoli releases, as well as Mario Picross, but I would love more like these. I find that the 3DS is fantastic for the puzzle games.

Tappingo is meh, since it hardly ever has anything difficult, and although I have played through the Layton series other than the xAA one, I am looking for straight puzzle games, or at least minimal story.

vvv Yeah, it is decent. I was really annoyed by the 15 tutorial levels that aren't skippable, but it is fun. I don't have Crashmo, yet. Is it more fun?

EdibleBodyParts fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 31, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

EdibleBodyParts posted:

What are some good logic-based puzzle game downloads? I have already played through the Picross E series and all the NIkoli releases, as well as Mario Picross, but I would love more like these. I find that the 3DS is fantastic for the puzzle games.

Tappingo is meh, since it hardly ever has anything difficult, and although I have played through the Layton series other than the xAA one, I am looking for straight puzzle games, or at least minimal story.

Do you have Pushmo????

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EdibleBodyParts posted:

vvv Yeah, it is decent. I was really annoyed by the 15 tutorial levels that aren't skippable, but it is fun. I don't have Crashmo, yet. Is it more fun?

Crashmo doesn't gently caress around, it's a lot better than Pushmo in that respect.

Glow Artisan on DSiWare is one I really liked. Nintendo published a ton of puzzle games on DSiWare and I didn't play most of them, but Snapdots (a version of the old GBA game Guru Logi Champ) is pretty good.

Mole Mania might be a bit more action-y than you'd like, but it's a fun VC game in the Sokoban/Adventures of Lolo mould and was made by the same team that made DK94.

Tappingo 2 is coming out this week, incidentally. I get the impression it's pretty much just a level pack, though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

EdibleBodyParts posted:

If you're lookin' more for a simple, formulaic puzzler, then I may recommend Art of Balance: Touch (although there's a superior version which is supposedly going to be out very soon on the Wii U, if you've got one of those). If you'd like a bit of an adventure-y platformer, Fluidity: Spin Cycle is really nice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I just noticed an announcement on the PAL eShop that the DSiWare title Go! Go! Kokopolo! Harmonious Forest Revenge is being removed from the eShop after today. So if you really want it, now is your last chance.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Despite being more Layton, LvW is still my favorite Ace Attorney since Trials and Tribulations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Layton x AA is way more of an AA game than a Layton game and I don't think it'd be a good first impression for anyone who hasn't played a Layton game, honestly.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Layton x AA is way more of an AA game than a Layton game and I don't think it'd be a good first impression for anyone who hasn't played a Layton game, honestly.

That's odd. As someone who didn't like the Layton games, I found LxW to be far too much of a Layton game to bother with. Not enough AA.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdibleBodyParts posted:

I am a huge fan of Link n Launch on DSiWare, although it is somewhere between pure logic puzzle and an action puzzle game like Tetris or whatever. You have to shift pipes around to connect your spaceship to fuel sources, but you only have 2 minutes to get your ship to its destination so you have to make compromises between the good solutions to puzzles and the fast solutions.

Here's a very bald man playing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhulj2qNrQ

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 31, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I remember getting Link 'n' Launch via one of those monthly Club Nintendo game rewards and it's really fun. Then again I'll play almost any puzzle game that remotely resembles Pipe Dream.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Glow Artisan as mentioned before is a fantastic game.
Snapdots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EM8pEQhQkk

Less logic based games. Going to link to reviews as there really arent videos that do these titles justice.
Zengage- http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/05/art_style_nemrem_dsiware
Base 10 http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/04/art_style_code_dsiware
Boxlife http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/06/art_style_boxlife_dsiware
Number Batttle http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/08/sujin_taisen_number_battles_dsiware

DSiware is tremendously underrated and shouldn't be overlooked. Sadly when transferring these titles to a new system you will lose your save data.

As a digital only consumer I am dreading that day I trade in my XL for a New 3DS. SD card incompatibility alone is going to be a big issue. Is the wireless pc backup a feature or a step to an actual account system?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are downloaded games tied to a user account? Like if I get a game on my 3DS and there happens to be a Wii version, do I get both versions? Or are they considered totally different games?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Are downloaded games tied to a user account? Like if I get a game on my 3DS and there happens to be a Wii version, do I get both versions? Or are they considered totally different games?

Totally different, you have to buy everything twice, including Virtual Console games.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

univbee posted:

Totally different, you have to buy everything twice, including Virtual Console games.

With one exception

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

univbee posted:

Well that sucks.

So let's say I've got a regular Wii and a 3DS and I want to play the "best" versions available for every Zelda game possible given those two consoles. What should I get on each?

I saw that Zelda 1 and 2, and Oracle of Seasons/Ages are on 3DS, but am I better off getting any of them for the Wii?
I've got Ocarina of Time 3D, Phantom Hourglass DS, and A Link Between Worlds 3DS.

I played Ocarina on N64, and I played Link to the Past (repeatedly) on SNES, but haven't played any other Zelda games and want to get caught up on what I've been missing.

If there's a dedicated Zelda series thread then I didn't see it and I'll totally take my question there. :)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That's odd. As someone who didn't like the Layton games, I found LxW to be far too much of a Layton game to bother with. Not enough AA.

Typically, AA consists of half courtroom and half investigation. This game is slightly more than half investigation, only it's presented as a Layton game and occasionally there are puzzles. If you think of it that way, it's ALL Ace Attorney!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Xenomrph posted:

Well that sucks.

So let's say I've got a regular Wii and a 3DS and I want to play the "best" versions available for every Zelda game possible given those two consoles. What should I get on each?

I saw that Zelda 1 and 2, and Oracle of Seasons/Ages are on 3DS, but am I better off getting any of them for the Wii?
I've got Ocarina of Time 3D, Phantom Hourglass DS, and A Link Between Worlds 3DS.

I played Ocarina on N64, and I played Link to the Past (repeatedly) on SNES, but haven't played any other Zelda games and want to get caught up on what I've been missing.

If there's a dedicated Zelda series thread then I didn't see it and I'll totally take my question there. :)

Zelda 1 and 2 are fine either way. The Oracle games are only on the 3DS. I also noticed you didn't list Link's Awakening which is available on the 3DS and should be your first priority because it's the loving best.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The only decisions you need to make are Twilight Princess on Gamecube or Wii (Wii), and OoT on N64 or 3DS (3DS). It really doesn't matter what emulator you choose to play the other games in because its gonna be the same wherever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

homeless snail posted:

Twilight Princess on Gamecube or Wii (Wii)

Only two choices, and you still manage to gently caress it up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm a waggler.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

homeless snail posted:

The only decisions you need to make are Twilight Princess on Gamecube or Wii (Wii), and OoT on N64 or 3DS (3DS). It really doesn't matter what emulator you choose to play the other games in because its gonna be the same wherever.

You forgot LttP on SNES or GBA (SNES).

GBA has awful Young Link voice clips constantly and awful GBA sound.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I didn't mind the motion controls in Skyward Sword, but it was designed around them.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Also they changed that puzzle in the Ice Palace and made it a non-puzzle, basically.

But you do get to keep the shovel.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

I'm a waggler.

So you have a lot of practice stirring poo poo up?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Having the sword spin auto-charge and just proc on the nunchuck waggle is really OP though :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's also Wind Waker and Minish Cap on WiiU and Spirit Tracks on DS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

irlZaphod posted:

There's also Wind Waker and Minish Cap on WiiU and Spirit Tracks on DS
Is Minish Cap only emulated on WiiU?
That sucks, I'm not planning on getting a WiiU in the foreseeable future.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Isn't LttP on the Wii virtual console?

homeless snail posted:

I wasn't sure if the emulation was better on some formats over others, or if people found some versions more fun to play on certain formats (handheld vs TV/controller, etc).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

Is Minish Cap only emulated on WiiU?
That sucks, I'm not planning on getting a WiiU in the foreseeable future.

Change your plans. Those plans sound lovely anyway

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Change your plans. Those plans sound lovely anyway
I just can't think of that many games I'd want to upgrade to the Wii U for in order to justify the price. I've got my Wii and I still like it a lot, and I like that it's backwards compatible with my Gamecube games. If I were to get a Wii U it would be to replace my Wii, and losing Gamecube backwards compatibility is a pretty tough sell for me right now unless the Virtual Console started emulating more GC games.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Why not just wait a month, keep your Wii, and buy a WiiU with the money you saved during said month instead of trading in your Wii?

You don't have to get rid of your old nintendo console. And the WiiU isn't just a "upgraded games" machine - it's a legitimate console with great first party games, fairly decent indie support, and pretty graphics.

I mean, do what you want, but embrace the hoarder in you and keep your Wii :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't imagine you'd get much for the Wii anyway, plus you'll probably want to keep the controllers around for the Wii U.

I keep a Gamecube with a Game Boy Player hooked up to it around for all my GCN/GBA gaming needs because that's how I roll.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They offered me 12 bucks for my Wii. Ended up just giving it to a friend.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

See Xenomorph, save your Wii, save for a WiiU. Everybody wins except for your wallet!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U has the best version of Aliens Colonial Marines, by far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii U has the best version of Aliens Colonial Marines, by far.
The canceled version? :suicide:

I'll see if I can budget for a Wii U, I'm already trying to budget for an Xbox One. Wolfenstein The New Order was fun on my 360, but I really need to play it The Way It Was Meant To Be Played (i.e., without bad loading times and pop-in low-res textures and poo poo).

And believe me, I'm not against hanging onto old consoles. I've still got my N64 hooked up to my TV, and I've got an SNES kicking around (but I'm really in favor of phasing the SNES out if I can Virtual Console the games on it that I care about). poo poo, I even have a classic first-edition "white brick" Game Boy that I've kept just to say I have one. :v:
The Wii really felt like a legitimate replacement for the Gamecube - since it could play GC games and supported GC controllers, I had no reason to have a Gamecube if I got a Wii.
I still have my classic Xbox since there's a ton of games on it that I like, and the Xbox360's backwards compatibility was garbage.

I might have to look into what the Wii U has to offer and see if there's anything else that tempts me. Getting a 3DS recently has really reminded me how much I enjoy Nintendo's first-party games, and how the bulk of my best childhood gaming memories were on Nintendo consoles. I love my Xbox and Xbox360, but I think I'll always be a Nintendo kid deep down inside. :kiddo:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 1, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Get a PS4 bundle on Black Friday and then save up for a 200 dollar refurbished wii u from the nintendo site, best value best games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

But then how will I play the Master Chief Collection? :ohdear:

Honest to god I'm not trying to start a PS4/XBone console war in the Nintendo thread.
But a Black Friday sale/bundle is a drat good idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Also my sister gave me a 16gb SD card that she had kicking around, so I just went hog-wild in the Nintendo eShop a little bit. :shobon:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 4):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Cubemen 2 - €7.99 / £6.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own any Zelda game for Wii U/3DS eShop, get Hyrule Warriors for 10% off! - from September 19-26
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - €39.99 / £32.99 from September 4-11
    The Legend of Zelda (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 from September 4-11
    Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 from September 4-11
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until September 11
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 until September 11
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £4.99 if you own the 3DS version, runs until September 25

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    European Conqueror 3D - €3.99 / £2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Xtreme (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Rytmik World Music - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival (3DS) - €19.95 / £17.99 until September 5
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - €29.99 / £25.99 from September 4-11
    The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 from September 4-11
    Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 from September 4-11
    Code of Princess (3DS eShop) - €20.99 / £17.00 from September 4-11
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS eShop) - €12.00 / £9.99 from September 4-11
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 from September 4-11
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until September 11
    Van Helsing Sniper ZX100 (3DS) - €2.69 / £2.69 until September 24

NOE is gonna be doing different Zelda sales every week in the lead-up to Hyrule Warriors, and you'll also be able to get a discount on the eShop version of Hyrule Warriors at launch if you own digital versions of any other Zelda game.

EDIT: here's the full Zelda sale list https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwb0654IQAARTDY.jpg:orig

Cubemen 2 is notable for the fact that it has cross-platform online multiplayer and level sharing with the PC/iOS versions, but I haven't bothered to even look at it so I don't know if it's actually worth caring about.

3DS dudes, note the sales on Sayonara Umihara Kawase and Code of Princess: neither game has been on sale before in PAL-land, and one of 'em is worth owning!

CV3 and Gargoyle's Quest 2 are both great, and Gargoyle's Quest 2 has never been re-released until now, as far as I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 1, 2014

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

quote:

Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS eShop) - €12.00
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Both Oracle games are also going on offer this week.