Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Snapchat A Titty posted:

they should hunt gun instructors instead

Oh come on, that's so easy a kid could d...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:toot:

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
lorf at all things, great and small

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh come on, that's so uzi a kid could d...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shifty Pony posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mapr/status/504396977556041728

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nice av

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress off

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

GOOGLE'S SELF-DRIVING CAR CAN'T NAVIGATE HEAVY RAIN OR MOST ROADS

While Google's fleet has safely driven more than 700,000 miles, the autonomous model relies so heavily on maps and detailed data that it can't yet drive itself in 99 percent of the country, according to an MIT Technology Review report.

they are such a loving joke of a company

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

fffffffart

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

they are such a loving joke of a company

to be fair there's still plenty of uses for this kind of vehicle even if it can only navigate along a fixed route containing major thoroughfares

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if it rains or anything at all changes from the mapped data you crash and possibly kill someone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

to be fair there's still plenty of uses for this kind of vehicle even if it can only navigate along a fixed route containing major thoroughfares

you just described a train

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

poty posted:

if it rains or anything at all changes from the mapped data you crash and possibly kill someone

just make it fly and you'll get billions from the us government

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you just described a train

a train for Americans, yes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
ya and we already have relatively autonomous trains

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

right but these would run in regular interstate traffic so you get all the disadvantages of public transit with all the disadvantages of driving your own car

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
well it costs 0 while setting up a new train line is roughly a million trillions

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poty posted:

and there isn't a personal injury lawyer alive that doesn't get a little tingle down below at the prospect of nailing google for the liability, even if just for the fame.

i still think they would be quite good for special applications such as retirement communities or even golf courses. but publicly targeting lucrative edge cases doesn't feed the internalized "we're changing the world here!" *disruption* narrative. sure most of the bullshit apps and services coming out of the tech bubble only serve the small edge case of rich single men living in San Francisco but they don't admit that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you are riding in your google self driving car, going at the speed limit, as mandated by law. suddenly a pedestrian steps into the street. the car observes the pedestrian and calculates it has 200 ms to react. there is insufficient time to apply the brakes with any effect. the car has three options:

1) run the pedestrian over, 90% probability of pedestrian fatality. you are expected to survive.
2) cross into oncoming traffic. there is an oncoming car that will hit you. 40% probability of fatality to you, unknown for other driver.
3) drive off the road. the terrain is not sufficiently mapped so injury probability unknown.

what does your car do?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

you are riding in your google self driving car, going at the speed limit, as mandated by law. suddenly a pedestrian steps into the street. the car observes the pedestrian and calculates it has 200 ms to react. there is insufficient time to apply the brakes with any effect. the car has three options:

1) run the pedestrian over, 90% probability of pedestrian fatality. you are expected to survive.
2) cross into oncoming traffic. there is an oncoming car that will hit you. 40% probability of fatality to you, unknown for other driver.
3) drive off the road. the terrain is not sufficiently mapped so injury probability unknown.

what does your car do?

lock up the brakes, same as a person driver should do

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

depends on what ur rider profile says

if ur a white money manager then lol there aint nothin happening to u so plow on through

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hit the pedestrian, because there isn't a jury that'd convict

it's a ~perfect immortal machine~, obviously the pedestrian was at fault for jaywalking

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

depends on what ur rider profile says

if ur a white money manager then lol there aint nothin happening to u so plow on through

conviction of two misdemeanors sure is nothing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

The Management posted:

what does your car do?

:smug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

decapitate the pedestrian?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

decapitate the pedestrian?

well i guess we can put the car on stilt things like inspector gadgets car had

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

lock up the brakes, same as a person driver should do

a human can't make split second decisions with any kind of intelligence, our minds don't work that fast. the car has fully understood the situation and made the decision to kill the pedestrian when it could have avoided it. it has decided that the almost certainty of killing the pedestrian is better than risking your life at an unknown probability. it doesn't have the survival instinct we do, it calculated who lives and dies and somehow your life is worth more than the pedestrian's. when they review the accident and discover that going off the road would have resulted in minimal damage, does that mean the car is guilty of manslaughter?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
you can't have laughter without manslaughter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what's the balance for when the car risks your life to save someone else's? 0%? with humans nothing is quantifiable so it's all a gray area. once you have hard numbers, things become a lot more complex.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
is the pedestrian a thinkfluencer and-or entrepreneur y/n?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ufarn posted:

is the pedestrian a thinkfluencer and-or entrepreneur y/n?

the forth prime directive says a google car cannot harm a google officer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

a human can't make split second decisions with any kind of intelligence, our minds don't work that fast. the car has fully understood the situation and made the decision to kill the pedestrian when it could have avoided it. it has decided that the almost certainty of killing the pedestrian is better than risking your life at an unknown probability. it doesn't have the survival instinct we do, it calculated who lives and dies and somehow your life is worth more than the pedestrian's. when they review the accident and discover that going off the road would have resulted in minimal damage, does that mean the car is guilty of manslaughter?

the computer isn't omniscient either, 200ms is still a very short amount of time for the sensors to get an accurate picture of the situation. just like trains and other already autonomous stuff the first reaction should always be to stop

this is why we're still a very long away from fully autonomous manned aircraft - when drones get confused they just crash. they crash a lot, even the fancy UAVs the USAF flies

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also fun fact: the big UAVs the airforce fly need a chase car on take off/landing because they actually have no idea whats going on so a human has to be in the loop with an abort button

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

how do you have four prime directives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

• Locked thread