Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mimir posted:

I'll let you draw any conclusions you might want.

This feels incredibly relevant. Isn't the "zee zee" the typical Jimmy Olson signal watch noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Okay, so Lord Havok is Dr. Doom, the axe is Mjolnir, the egg is perhaps a cosmic cube, but I don't think the Omni-Gauntlet could be the Infinity Gauntlet; it doesn't look like it's powerful enough. It could be the equivalent to Quasar's Quantum Bands though.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like the egg's more like the one from JLA/Avengers, especially since there's someone inside of it.

CountryFriedSnake
Feb 25, 2006

Jiro posted:

It's you, you're Bastion! Save us from The Nothing! Say the Empress's name!

GLORIANA TENEBRAE!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lars Blitzer posted:

Okay, so Lord Havok is Dr. Doom, the axe is Mjolnir, the egg is perhaps a cosmic cube, but I don't think the Omni-Gauntlet could be the Infinity Gauntlet; it doesn't look like it's powerful enough. It could be the equivalent to Quasar's Quantum Bands though.

Why would they bank on a second-rate character's unique item? Its pretty obvious they're alluding to Items of Immense Cosmic Power here. Do we ever even see it in action? Its just a namedrop macguffin meant to hilight the issue's crossover-like Everything At Stake storytelling structure.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Yeah, it's basically all "Grabbing all sorts of Major Cosmic Doo-dads and Whatchamacallits to impress the idea that Something Very, Very Bad Is Going To Happen!"

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
Morrison has used an egg in the actual Marvel Universe before, the Phoenix Egg, but you're right, they're just a bunch of Very Important Items to signify the high stakes that mean EVERYTHING again and again until they mean nothing at all, like the two world killing nukes with the convenient off switches from his Animal Man run.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Blind Marvin posted:

Morrison has used an egg in the actual Marvel Universe before, the Phoenix Egg, but you're right, they're just a bunch of Very Important Items to signify the high stakes that mean EVERYTHING again and again until they mean nothing at all, like the two world killing nukes with the convenient off switches from his Animal Man run.

Someone on Twitter made the comparison to Adam Warlock's evil self hatching from an egg?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Leaving the incredibly :goonsay: discussion of 'what, EXACTLY, is this universal power geegaw an analogue for' aside for a moment:

Is the Gentry a stand-in for more of Morrison' critiques of what sap exciting comics this age?

Misery, Hellish creations, shackles of continuity, over intellectualization/analysis, and ultimately an entitled fandom that's perverse in its attempts to gatekeep or evaluate?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 24, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
They're probably a lot of things. I think it's pretty important to note that there's only one recognizably humanoid member of The Gentry. "Dame Merciless" is a scantily clad, corpse-like female figure who only wears the flimsiest funeral rags. If The Gentry are the things wrong with Comic Books, that's one of 'em pinned down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The gentrification of the DC Universe, most superficially.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do like the "anti-death equation", which prevents a heroic sacrifice from meaning anything while at the same time bringing back a character for more degrading storylines.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Frazer Irving shared his variant to one of the issues

Yes, this is John Constantine, The Hellblazer from that parody Doom Patrol issue. Amazing :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

I dunno, 90's-esque Fate doesn't look grungy enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

Yes, this is John Constantine, The Hellblazer from that parody Doom Patrol issue. Amazing :allears:

Oh god, I hope he's actually in the issue. :allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

fatherboxx posted:

There any variants yet for other issues? This series is going to be expensive.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fatherboxx posted:

Not being a super-regular DAY ONE comics guy (and instead a casual "Oh god I have $30 extra dollars lets grab a comic that I really want") kind of guy, I waltzed into my LCS last week to find the Captain Carrot variant.

The counter guy looked at me like I was retard since it was 5:15pm. :shepface:

That's all a very long way about of saying that this Irving variant is going to be gone gone gone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Frazer Irving.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I was just thinking a few days ago how great it'd be if an alternate universe Constantine was a corny superhero like that issue of Doom Patrol, and here we are

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Some of this has already been pointed out, but here are some links between Morrison's work since Final Crisis:

From Final Crisis:

From Multiversity:

From Action Comics:

From Batman RIP and earlier in his run:

Here is what Morrison had to say about the green monster clinging on the back of Bat-Mite (/Might):

Grant Morrison posted:

I had this idea the creatures in the fifth dimension were so appalling to look at, they couldn't show themselves to humans. It's not because they're bad, it's just because if we were to look at them we'd fall apart and poo poo ourselves. Bat-mite very kindly disguises himself as a child-like version of Batman. What you see is the face of something in the fifth dimension.

So is that green monster in Multiversity another attack from the fifth dimension (aka ZRFFF), or maybe even the same attack as in Action but just seen from a different angle? Could it be that it only seems like an attack to people within linear time, but it actually has some kind of benevolent purpose (like an innoculation for the multiverse)?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

From Final Crisis:

From Multiversity:

I want to know what that clock's counting down to.

Should I be reading Morrison's Action Comics run before/alongside Multiversity?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

-Perhaps you have heard of Watchmen?

(side-note, those bodies falling through the bleed at the top are pretty super-creepy)

-Sure!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 27, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well its too early to tell how much the stories will really tie together, or if the connections I've made are just Morrison re-using his favorite tropes. You should at least read issue 9, about President Superman, since it directly leads up to Multiversity #1.

In my opinion it was a pretty messy run, especially due to inconsistent art, but worth reading for the beginning and end storylines.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

I thought of that, but given this is Morrison it's entirely possible he's laying groundwork for something else.

quote:

(side-note, those bodies falling through the bleed at the top is pretty super-creepy)
Oh god I never noticed those before. :gonk:

e: TAGS ARE HARD

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought of that, but given this is Morrison it's entirely possible he's laying groundwork for something else.

Well, kind of. All of the Watchmen characters are based off of Charlton Comics characters (which DC bought a long time ago, and Watchmen was originally going to use those characters--Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, The Question, etc). There is an upcoming issue of Multiversity that actually will use the original Charlton guys instead of their ersatz replacements (illustrated by Frank Quitely) and was already surely on GMozz's mind at the time. If you knew this already, apologies.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Isn't the clock approaching midnight mainly just short-hand for an urgent crisis?

But yeah, with that upcoming Watchmen homage issue of Multiversity its hard not to see its second inclusion as also being a Watchmen reference. Would be cool if we see that same kind of thing there but from the perspective of inside the comic-page looking out into the bleed-space between universes.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 27, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

Well, kind of. All of the Watchmen characters are based off of Charlton Comics characters (which DC bought a long time ago, and Watchmen was originally going to use those characters--Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, The Question, etc). There is an upcoming issue of Multiversity that actually will use the original Charlton guys instead of their ersatz replacements (illustrated by Frank Quitely) and was already surely on GMozz's mind at the time. If you knew this already, apologies.

Yeah, I saw on Wikipedia that one of the issues is going to be the actual Charleston characters. I just didn't make the Charleston->Watchmen connection since I generally forget all about that until it comes up in discussions.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Isn't the clock approaching midnight mainly just short-hand for an urgent crisis?

There is a gauge called the Doomsday Clock that was set up by a group of scientists to express how close the world was to nuclear annihilation. During the Cold War, it got pretty close to mid night because the nuclear superpowers were close to attacking each other, and that was a main drive for the conflict behind Watchmen.

Right now, not so much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

redbackground posted:

(side-note, those bodies falling through the bleed at the top are pretty super-creepy)

-Sure!

Those "Bodies" are almost definitely Shadow Demons of the sort that both the Anti-Monitor and Mandrakk The Dark Monitor utilized as minions

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Those "Bodies" are almost definitely Shadow Demons of the sort that both the Anti-Monitor and Mandrakk The Dark Monitor utilized as minions

It looks more like 9/11 imagery to me; the people who jumped out the windows rather than being burned alive.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Those were definitively Shadow Demons in the story.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

d00gZ posted:

Those were definitively Shadow Demons in the story.

Can you explain further please?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

StumblyWumbly posted:

There is a gauge called the Doomsday Clock that was set up by a group of scientists to express how close the world was to nuclear annihilation. During the Cold War, it got pretty close to mid night because the nuclear superpowers were close to attacking each other, and that was a main drive for the conflict behind Watchmen.

Right now, not so much.

Haha, well, in 1984 the Clock was at 3 minutes to midnight (largely because of the threat of US-Soviet nuclear war). With the end of the Cold War it did move backward significantly, but in recent years, the clock has moved back up.

Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists posted:

"The challenges to rid the world of nuclear weapons, harness nuclear power, and meet the nearly inexorable climate disruptions from global warming are complex and interconnected. In the face of such complex problems, it is difficult to see where the capacity lies to address these challenges." Political processes seem wholly inadequate; the potential for nuclear weapons use in regional conflicts in the Middle East, Northeast Asia, and South Asia are alarming; safer nuclear reactor designs need to be developed and built, and more stringent oversight, training, and attention are needed to prevent future disasters; the pace of technological solutions to address climate change may not be adequate to meet the hardships that large-scale disruption of the climate portends.

The current time is five minutes to midnight, which, to circle back to comics, is the time that the (in-universe) Clock was set at in the first issue of Watchmen.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I don't really read DC, but I just read the first couple pages of this thread and it sounds great. Am I going to need an extensive knowledge of the workings if the DC universe to enjoy this or can I just jump in and enjoy the Morrison insanity?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Action Comics #9 at least. It'll introduce you to one of the main characters in #1.
https://www.comixology.com/Action-Comics-2011-9/digital-comic/24203

You don't need to go deep on it, but there's a ton there and it builds on a lot of his past DC event concepts. I'd recommend just jumping in and then reading an annotation page http://comicsalliance.com/multiversity-dc-comics-grant-morrison-annotations-part-1/ and see where it takes you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there been any information on when the Multiversity Guidebook will be released? I keep seeing mentions of it but nothing about when it's gonna be available.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there been any information on when the Multiversity Guidebook will be released? I keep seeing mentions of it but nothing about when it's gonna be available.

I want to say near or after the end of the whole shebang.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Has the clock moved backward since Final Crisis? In the caps above.

Also what the gently caress did i just read

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

irlZaphod posted:

Also what the gently caress did i just read

I came here to post exactly this.

Now I gotta dig out Final Crisis again. There's a lot of stuff I never noticed in there, I think. It blows my mind how deep and long in advance Morrison has been planning this. I almost feel like going back and reading The Invisibles again too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
Alright! they are calling him Captain Marvel again! Even if it is just for Multiversity, it makes me happy to see him and the family go by the proper names in the solicit for the Thunderworld issue.

• Locked thread