Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Games are already pretty diverse. I really don't see diversity as an issue especially when most of the major releases allowed you to create your own character.

Not only that you're not even dealing with humans most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
What our games need is more glorious communism.

Why is it that I must always play as some decadent American bourgeoisie imperialist? Why is there no game where I can play as Dimitri the simple farmer or Zhodaniayev the steel mill worker?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
somebody cfould make a game all about the diversity or something, or just say you're going to and scam anybody dumb enough to buy into social justice

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

game writers are poo poo, so when they try to make a point about ethics in their games it always comes off so insultingly heavy handed and preachy that it makes abc afterschool specials look subtle

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

I don't think its feminism ruining it. I think its pseudo bullshit and bad writers who aren't really journalists ruining everything.

Torka posted:

game writers are poo poo, so when they try to make a point about ethics in their games it always comes off so insultingly heavy handed that it makes abc afterschool specials look subtle

Haha. It reminds me of those shock pictures from high school when they showed the dangers of driving or some bullshit and had some guy's face ripped open looking like a nasty ol cherry apple pie.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Seriously complaining about diversity in games is like wlaking into a BaskiN Robins and asking for the most far out hosed up flavor imaginable which nobody serves because it tastes disgusting and then leaving in a huff because their 31 flavors is too bigoted and doesn't represent the strawberry toothpaste flavors.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mulefisk posted:

What our games need is more glorious communism.

Why is it that I must always play as some decadent American bourgeoisie imperialist? Why is there no game where I can play as Dimitri the simple farmer or Zhodaniayev the steel mill worker?

:ussr:

*кивает с уважением к вам*

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
simple man of the party finds jetpack in field, does he have big adventure? Big smash up, explosions, girls like decadent capitalist? No, Dimitri takes jetpack to party chairman and seeks no compensation before returning to work

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Danger Mahoney posted:

:ussr:

*кивает с уважением к вам*

Your avatar and this make a good combo. Will you be going to Napolean's party?

gently caress the ROW posted:

simple man of the party finds jetpack in field, does he have big adventure? Big smash up, explosions, girls like decadent capitalist? No, Dimitri takes jetpack to party chairman and seeks no compensation before returning to work

Secret game mode. Dimtry barters 5 saved up toilet paper rolls for new shoes instead of waiting in line in the frigid winter for days.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We're dealing with a form of media who's first big hits were two sticks hitting a ball, a guy trying to beat up the gorilla who kidnapped his girlfriend, and a loving circle that can't stop eating.

Now who in their right mind would say "hmmm yess this is the perfect platform to lay the rock solid foundation for a political movement to change the world."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mulefisk posted:

Why is there no game where I can play as Dimitri the simple farmer or Zhodaniayev the steel mill worker?

Ultima Online is still running, you know.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Taint Reaper posted:

We're dealing with a form of media who's first big hits were two sticks hitting a ball, a guy trying to beat up the gorilla who kidnapped his girlfriend, and a loving circle that can't stop eating.

Now who in their right mind would say "hmmm yess this is the perfect platform to lay the rock solid foundation for a political movement to change the world."

Well there was a MS pacman. Equality was achieved long ago. If I remember Ms Pacman did better too cause it was better developed.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland posted:

Well there was a MS pacman. Equality was achieved long ago. If I remember Ms Pacman did better too cause it was better developed.

nah you got five dudes in hoods chasing a lady around dark alleys i think thats problematic

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Al Borland posted:

Yeah Ms. Pacman actually had an ending after the 36th level on the Genesis version as opposed to a killscreen on the Original Pacman.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

also video games are not art and never will be, interactivity requires too many concessions

notice that all the games on the small list that the industry likes to tout as approaching art are ones where the player is railroaded through a story with no control over the outcome and very little control over the path they take to reach it. if that's a game then a CYOA book is a game (although CYOA books actually give you a lot more choices than most of those games lol)

Torka fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 31, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
why do people think art can't be interactive?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
in the darkness 2 you can hurl steel pins into people and arrange them on the wall.. thats very artistic although earlier in the game a mafia guy makes a titty joke and i almost had to stop playing

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Haha assuming gaming journos care about any politics other than forcing their own holier-than-thou ideology

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i covered my ears and eyes until the joke stopped, or about 30 seconds later, as the case may be, and was able to keep playing

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Torka posted:

notice that all the games on the small list that the industry likes to tout as approaching art are ones where the player is railroaded through a story with no control over the outcome and very little control over the path they take to reach it. if that's a game then a CYOA book is a game

I disagree because Shadow of the Colossus had pretty intricate boss battles. They were all pretty interactive because you could climb all over them which only one other game has really replicated, and that's Monster Hunter 4.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
The part that really gets me is how, for some reason, everyone who is calling out Zoe on her bullshit (you know, the whole cucking with devs and reviewers poo poo) is being lumped in with MRA assholes and poo poo like that. They built this woman up to be some kind of games hero (lol) and now that it turns out she's an rear end in a top hat, there's a huge circle jerk of denial going on about it and no one wants to admit they may have been wrong. They instead double down and attack their audience.

But the funniest thing I've seen yet is people calling it "slut shaming" when she's called out for loving those guys. It's one thing if she just hosed those guys, who cares? Doing so while you're in a relationship makes you a loving rear end in a top hat.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Taint Reaper posted:

and a loving circle that can't stop eating.

Who says nobody develops games with the Tumblr crew in mind?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

4outof5 posted:

Why do games need more diversity?

But it ain't rocket science either. There's obvious reasons to have different types of people in games. They exist in the real world. loving Star Trek can handle diversity though, it's not hard. All feminists would really need to do is launch a tasteful campaign but they've painted themselves as abusive people and nobody wants to say "Yes, I'll get right on that for you!" to people being cruel, smearing, lying, manipulating, and so on.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Press A for more artsing

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah Ms. Pacman actually had an ending after the 36th level on the Genesis version as opposed to a killscreen on the Original Pacman.

Glass ceiling!!!!!!!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Triple A posted:

why do people think art can't be interactive?

do you honestly think it's a coincidence that there's a huge correlation between games that are considered to be art and games that give the player gently caress all control over the outcome

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mulefisk posted:

Press A for more artsing

WarioWare is art and I will cut people who disagree

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think all feminists would really have to do is make good games that they can support and that others would enjoy playing. I don't think it would be that difficult. My guess is that even if they could make a game they support most of them wouldn't play it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 31, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's a list a mile long with good female videogame characters already. Like if you're missing them you're probably not even looking.

Like you should probably be playing Xenoblade, The Longest Journey/Dreamfall, Broken Sword, Elder Scrolls series, Saint's Row 2,3, and 4, Square Enix Tomb Raider, etc.

I mean just those games alone you have a pretty diverse cast combined.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I came to this thread to see a gif of monkeys throwing poo poo at each other and have been sorely disappointed up to now. That's a gif that would summarise this whole saga in one absurd, brutal, repetitive 5-second loop of ordure and stupidity.

Content: For anyone wanting a review by a British games journalist, check out this podcast: http://crateandcrowbar.com/2014/08/22/episode-056-hawks-must-die/ The actual review starts at 47:15 and lasts about 15min. The podcast is consistently informative and enjoyable. "Informative and enjoyable" are words that have seemed more inappropriate in an SA thread.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

haha let's be fair now, lara croft and her ever-growing chest were embarrassingly blatant male fanservice until her most recent iteration

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't played anything from the Xenogear/Xenoblade series. Where do I start?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Torka posted:

haha let's be fair now, lara croft and her ever-growing chest were embarrassingly blatant male fanservice until her most recent iteration

That's why I said Square Enix Tomb Raider

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Buy a New 3DS in like 6 months.

Or :retrogames: on eBay for a copy of the Wii version which was intentionally produced in a limited run and was only available as a pre-order.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Xenoblade

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's why I said Square Enix Tomb Raider

point

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brannock posted:

I'd nod respectfully

*nods respectfully towards you*

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Xenoblade is its own game. Pay $80 on eBay or just wait next year for the New 3DS version.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

lol haha yeah OK. Can you use a gamecube controller with that game or do you have to use a wii mote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

The part that really gets me is how, for some reason, everyone who is calling out Zoe on her bullshit (you know, the whole cucking with devs and reviewers poo poo) is being lumped in with MRA assholes and poo poo like that.

If you want to know why its hard to separate the criticism of zoe / games journalists / etc from awful shitposting, you need only to read this thread.

• Locked thread