Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cheesus posted:

I find it hard to believe Lucas released the non-anamorphic versions just to annoy people.

That he released them at all says a lot about his motivations, specifically that he's a businessman as much as a filmmaker, I suspect if money were no object to do the work, he'd had given the go-head to reversion the original trilogy back to a pre-special-edition version. Hell, I could see him being persuaded to provide branching for all pre-SE versions. But not for the return on investment for the minority audience that's been asking or them.

I find it equally hard to believe that Disney would have purchased Lucasfilm with any conditions set upon it by either Lucas or Fox.

Nah, the guy hates them, which is why they grab any prints of the original they can find. There was a 'salute to George Lucas' thing a while back, and one of my favourite stories is that in the highlight reel they used stuff from the original cuts, and he visibly bristled at it. He, in every way, considers them the inferior versions. He doesn't like them and he knows that really, it doesn't matter what edition he'll put out because people will still buy it.

The only reason the original cuts were included was down to pressure. Hell they're listed as a 'Bonus Feature'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I've never cared for the original Despecialized attempts, finding them to be waxy DNRed messes. However the new ones based on the 2011 blu-rays with color correction performed I have to say do look pretty great. Definitely something to keep an eye on (A New Hope is done but I don't think ESB or ROTJ are yet).

Version 2 of TESB just came out, it uses the blu ray version as it's base.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
When Lucasfilm was an independently operating identity: "The audience for the unaltered original trilogy is so small that it isn't worth their time to do all the work necessary, there simply won't be enough return on investment."

Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm and they'd have to work out some deal with Fox for distribution: "Fox isn't going to let a payday that big just walk out the door, no way can Disney work things out with them until 2020 at the earliest!"

No one knows the particulars of George Lucas's current ratio of control over to animosity towards the unaltered originals, so I won't touch that. But I find the shifting arguments about the economic issues facing the project to be humorous.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
How are the Arrow Blu-Ray releases? They have some Fulci and Bava titles out I am interested in, but I can't say I have hear any reviews of the their quality, good or bad.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Dr.Caligari posted:

How are the Arrow Blu-Ray releases? They have some Fulci and Bava titles out I am interested in, but I can't say I have hear any reviews of the their quality, good or bad.

Their quality was kinda iffy when they first started producing Blu-rays (quality control problems, low bitrate encodes, mild-to-intermediate DNR), but they hired a new director or something a year or two ago and the quality has dramatically improved.

I believe that the Fulci and Bava titles were among their early output, but I could be forgetting some more recent ones. I know there is extensive discussion of Arrow's releases in the UK subforum of blu-ray.com.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series is the deal of the day. $44.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LLYTOSK6L5POVSZ

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

When Lucasfilm was an independently operating identity: "The audience for the unaltered original trilogy is so small that it isn't worth their time to do all the work necessary, there simply won't be enough return on investment."

Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm and they'd have to work out some deal with Fox for distribution: "Fox isn't going to let a payday that big just walk out the door, no way can Disney work things out with them until 2020 at the earliest!"

No one knows the particulars of George Lucas's current ratio of control over to animosity towards the unaltered originals, so I won't touch that. But I find the shifting arguments about the economic issues facing the project to be humorous.

I have no doubt at all that they'll come out. The main stumbling block was that Lucas just doesn't want them seeing the light of day. Now he's gone...sort of...and the only real question is how much money is there to be made and who does it go to. If it's true that Fox don't want to step on Lucas' toes then you'll be seeing it later rather than any time soon. Fox lose the rights to two of the movies in 2020, but they'll always have A New Hope under their banner. They can try and work something out now, or they can do one in 2020 just in time for the complete saga to be released on Blu. All 9 episodes in a gigantic box set.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrVenkman posted:

I have no doubt at all that they'll come out. The main stumbling block was that Lucas just doesn't want them seeing the light of day. Now he's gone...sort of...and the only real question is how much money is there to be made and who does it go to. If it's true that Fox don't want to step on Lucas' toes then you'll be seeing it later rather than any time soon. Fox lose the rights to two of the movies in 2020, but they'll always have A New Hope under their banner. They can try and work something out now, or they can do one in 2020 just in time for the complete saga to be released on Blu. All 9 episodes in a gigantic box set.

Plus the random side episodes about Bobba Fett and whoever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Plus the random side episodes about Bobba Fett and whoever.

I really hope the Boba Fett is just a three stooges style physical comedy about how incompetent and lame he is, by the way. Just him bumbling his way through the universe and accidentally becoming a successful bounty hunter. Retcon all of Vader's lines to be super sarcastic ("No disintegrations" is actually Vader warning him not to accidentally disintegrate himself, for instance).

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jango is portrayed as far more competent than Boba. It's too bad he's stuck in a bad movie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheJoker138 posted:

I really hope the Boba Fett is just a three stooges style physical comedy about how incompetent and lame he is, by the way. Just him bumbling his way through the universe and accidentally becoming a successful bounty hunter. Retcon all of Vader's lines to be super sarcastic ("No disintegrations" is actually Vader warning him not to accidentally disintegrate himself, for instance).

Chris Pratt could play Boba!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
H. Jon Benjamin for Boba Fett.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Yaws posted:

Jango is portrayed as far more competent than Boba. It's too bad he's stuck in a bad movie.

He's just an honest man trying to make a living in the universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yaws posted:

Jango hires another person to do the job he was hired to do (who then fucks it up), leads Obi-Wan directly to the secret clone planet, then gets his head cut off.

Yeah, FAR more competent :rolleyes:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Jango hires another person to do the job he was hired to do (who then fucks it up), leads Obi-Wan directly to the secret clone planet, then gets his head cut off.

Yeah, FAR more competent :rolleyes:

Jango is shown to be a far more able fighter than Boba and actually kills a Jedi. Boba fell into a sarlaac pit after a blind guy hit him with a stick. Boba sucks.

Anyway, I just got my Predator bluray and it sucks. All the characters have this weird plastic sheen to them. I hate it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The old Predator Blu-ray is much better than the new one. I'd only buy the newest release to see it in 3D.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Jango is shown to be a far more able fighter than Boba and actually kills a Jedi. Boba fell into a sarlaac pit after a blind guy hit him with a stick. Boba sucks.

Anyway, I just got my Predator bluray and it sucks. All the characters have this weird plastic sheen to them. I hate it.

It's horrible. It's the absolute definition of something that was run through a computer on an automatic setting and made to look 'HD'. It treats grain as some sort of dirt and eliminates it so that everyone looks waxy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I still have that first release of Predator with all the grain, but the transfer is basically a DVD upscale so it's poo poo all the way down for Predator releases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with releases like Predator and The Sword in the Stone is that it shows that no one bothered looking at the final video master before having tens of thousands of Blu-Rays produced.

Even releases like Spartacus and the original Patton disc look awful up close, but are passable on smaller monitors. Most likely because they were meant for SD masters (downscaling Spartacus to 480p makes it look almost exactly like Criterion's DVD). Predator doesn't even look right in thumbnails.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 24, 2014

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I still have that first release of Predator with all the grain, but the transfer is basically a DVD upscale so it's poo poo all the way down for Predator releases.

Yeah, I'm baffled by people saying the original Blu looked better. It didn't even look HD. Every release has been poo poo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rocco posted:

Yeah, I'm baffled by people saying the original Blu looked better. It didn't even look HD. Every release has been poo poo.

From looking at screenshots, it seems like a pretty good release that's held back by MPEG-2 compression and an older encode. Apparently, Predator was shot on a grainier film stock, so even a 4K scan will still look a bit hazy and grainy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rocco posted:

Eh, I'd rather have it than the weird House of Wax version of the movie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You know, I'm fine with that release. Nobody looks like a wax statue.

Maybe the darkness and jungle scenes are helped by the grain? I don't know.

I paid $5 for it in ... 2009? So I'm not gonna bitch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like new 4K restorations are on the way for My Fair Lady, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Apu Trilogy:

http://www.the-reel-thing.co/session-schedule/

Obviously, nothing about Blu-Ray specifically, but they're in the works. I find the existing Fox Blu of The Day... to be fantastic in quality, but it's great they're going an extra step to ensure it's preserved at optimal quality. CBS released a fairly mediocre Blu of My Fair Lady... taken from a early 2000s 1080p master from 35mm. The new restoration is supposed to be entirely from the 65mm camera negative, with damaged/missing sections directly from the 65mm color separations. In the initial restoration in 1994, they had to use a lot of optical tricks for those shots (such as re-creating the opening titles from frame loops). I'm not crazy about the film, but it's exactly the sort of film that should look incredible on Blu with proper work.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Red posted:

You know, I'm fine with that release. Nobody looks like a wax statue.

Maybe the darkness and jungle scenes are helped by the grain? I don't know.

I paid $5 for it in ... 2009? So I'm not gonna bitch.

You're right, it's a subpar bluray release but by far the best home video release so far.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I bought the alternate art Blu-Ray of Road House, and it's not an alternate cover - it's just a placard that doesn't fit inside the case. What is the point of these things?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Red posted:

I bought the alternate art Blu-Ray of Road House, and it's not an alternate cover - it's just a placard that doesn't fit inside the case. What is the point of these things?

Get money from people. It's advertising.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Which region 2 Blu Ray should I get of Jurassic Park?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Kino Lorber announcements...

Kino Lorber:
White Lightning (1973, Joseph Sargent) - Nov. 11 [MGM Studio Classics]
Gator (1976, Burt Reynolds) - Nov. 11 [MGM Studio Classics]
Coming Home (1978, Hal Ashby) - Nov. 18 [MGM Studio Classics]
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920, Robert Wiene) - Nov. 18 [F.W. Murnau Foundation, 4K restoration]
The Bubble (1966, Arch Obler) - Nov. 18 [3-D Film Archive, Blu-Ray 3D]
Thieves Like Us (1973, Robert Altman) - Nov. 25 [MGM Studio Classics]
The Long Goodbye (1975, Robert Altman) - Nov. 25 [MGM Studio Classics]
The Conformist (1970, Bernardo Bertolucci) - Nov. 25 [Raro Video, new 4K restoration]
Buffalo Bill and the Indians (1976, Robert Altman) - Dec. 9 [MGM Studio Classics]

Also, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is up for pre-order on Amazon via Sony, but no release date yet. As with It Happened One Night, it's a new 4K restoration by Sony Colorworks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fantastic that they're not wasting time releasing the restored Caligari. Can't freaking wait.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

caiman posted:

Fantastic that they're not wasting time releasing the restored Caligari. Can't freaking wait.

I feel bad that I was more excited when I misread that as Caligula which painfully needs a better bluray.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Conformist (1970, Bernardo Bertolucci) - Nov. 25 [Raro Video, new 4K restoration]

Raro was originally going to put this out in the US themselves (announced like freaking forever ago), I wonder what happened. Are they just focusing on shlock releases now?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

leokitty posted:

Raro was originally going to put this out in the US themselves (announced like freaking forever ago), I wonder what happened. Are they just focusing on shlock releases now?

I think the delay was due to the existing master being kind of old (same one used for Paramount's DVD) and Arrow's release kind of showed its shortcomings. It was rumored for a while Criterion would get the rights, but it seems like a lot of American licenses for Italian films are reverting to their native copyright holders.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
We were arguing about this a long time ago but it's finally happening.

quote:

HBO's The Wire, aka that show you've been saying for years you'll watch because all your friends won't shut up about it, is coming back. The show is being remastered for HD, and it's supposed to marathon on HBO at some point in the near future. However, exactly when that'll happen isn't nailed down just yet: though HBO began running promos advertising the HD episodes' premiere on September 4th (as seen above), HBO tells us that the episodes "aren’t ready yet." The episodes are still being reviewed, and HBO says that it hopes to share more soon.

The big question is whether HBO's remaster will simply bring the show, as it was originally broadcast in 4:3, up to HD resolution, or if HBO will also recut the show into 16:9 for today's widescreen TVs. Although it initially aired in 4:3 standard definition, The Wire was reportedly shot with Panavision cameras in Super 35, meaning that footage actually had to be cut off the sides for the initial broadcast. A widescreen version of The Wire showed up briefly streaming on Amazon Prime — true widescreen, not cropped on the top and bottom — two years ago before returning to its former 4:3 aspect ratio. HBO declined to comment on what format its HD remaster would take.

Update September 2nd, 1:10PM ET: HBO tells us that HD remasters of The Wire are not yet ready to be aired. This article originally stated that they would likely begin airing on September 4th, as an HBO advertisement originally targeted their broadcast for.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/2/6096833/hbo-the-wire-hd-marathon

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 2, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

We were arguing about this a long time ago but it's finally happening.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/2/6096833/hbo-the-wire-hd-marathon

Unless he changed his mind, David Simon isn't going to be pleased.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
What is the problem exactly? Just remaster it in 4:3 and release it. Tits and copious amounts of gore is ok, but HBO viewers can't deal with black bars on the sides?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Unless he changed his mind, David Simon isn't going to be pleased.

I honestly don't give a gently caress what he thinks about this. His whole argument was just some gut feeling crap about "4:3 just seems more like TV!" if I'm remembering right, and screw that. They could just remaster them in HD and leave the aspect ratio, but even if they switched it to wide I'd still be fine with it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If something's framed for 4:3, it looks terrible in widescreen, though. The Region 2 (I think) dvds of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show were done in 16:9, and not only did everything look like it was framed wrong, but the edges of other the set (and the beginnings of other sets) were visible, I think along with actors waiting to enter the frame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

If something's framed for 4:3, it looks terrible in widescreen, though. The Region 2 (I think) dvds of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show were done in 16:9, and not only did everything look like it was framed wrong, but the edges of other the set (and the beginnings of other sets) were visible, I think along with actors waiting to enter the frame.

It depends on how it was framed when it was shot. I'm sure if it looks like rear end HBO will do it 4:3. Did anyone watch any of the 16:9 ones on Amazon before they got pulled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Gladney posted:

They protected for 16:9 until season 4 at which point David Simon made an executive decision that it should be 4:3

• Locked thread