Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

lol haha yeah OK. Can you use a gamecube controller with that game or do you have to use a wii mote?

The game uses no motion controls so the wiimote and stick just function like a normal controller. You can use the CC as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infurnus
Nov 4, 2009

I challenge you to a DEADMATCH, where we will fight... TO THE DEAD!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If you want to know why its hard to separate the criticism of zoe / games journalists / etc from awful shitposting, you need only to read this thread.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Buy a New 3DS in like 6 months.

Or :retrogames: on eBay for a copy of the Wii version which was intentionally produced in a limited run and was only available as a pre-order.

I don't think buying it for less than the average retail price of a new wii game counts as :retrogames:

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Torka posted:

do you honestly think it's a coincidence that there's a huge correlation between games that are considered to be art and games that give the player gently caress all control over the outcome
Games journalists are turds, that's why.

There are good games which work as art, but they work the way towards the way that games are built. Games are a very good way of representing complex systems. They are a very bad way of representing the minutia of social interaction. Games journalists are dumb and do not understand this, so they keep pointing out as "art games" stuff that is actually very bad.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Now who in their right mind would say "hmmm yess this is the perfect platform to lay the rock solid foundation for a political movement to change the world."
It's got dick to do with politics and everything to do with them being nerds: they learn the art of Privilege-Fu from the internet and then they merely apply it to whatever retarded consumer bullshit they spend hours and hours of their loving wasted life with. All of a sudden, the precious visual novels they used to spend all their time playing is now full of problematic and triggering material which they can discuss (and expose!) with fellow nerds on the internet. It's a way you can feel "socially aware" and self-righteous while literally sitting on your rear end playing video games.

The average gamer SJW isn't some bell hooks reading feminist who somehow got really into CoD, s/he's a goddam nerd who plays skyrim for twelve hours every friday night.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
just checking in but i get all my opnion on stuff from somethingawful dot com and i was wondering which way this thread was leaning , should i be hating on zoe quinn and her feminazis or hating on the mra neckbeards

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Diversity in games is totally fine, you want to make thoughtful games starring women or minorities, go nuts. It has literally never been easier to create games and get them onto the market. Actually, the gaming market has usually been very open and there was really only a decade starting in the 2000's where you could say that a handful of major companies controlled the market. Now adays with steam, the indie scene and just the internet in general its never been easier.

ID Software was all white guys and they started that company in their garage. White\Asian men have basically pioneered and supported the industry from day one. These are the people with the skills that create games that people want to buy and you make things skewed towards what you are familiar with. If a group of women get together to make a good game that has balanced female characters and a racially diverse cast, it will fall or stand based on how good a game it is.

When push comes to shove, people who play games are going to be swayed by good games, not internet moralizing and fundraisers.

Depression Quest and Gone Home ain't going to loving cut it.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Cycloneman posted:

There are good games which work as art, but they work the way towards the way that games are built. Games are a very good way of representing complex systems. They are a very bad way of representing the minutia of social interaction. Games journalists are dumb and do not understand this, so they keep pointing out as "art games" stuff that is actually very bad.

Can you expound on this? This actually sounds really interesting.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
e: this ain't even relevant, wtf.

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 31, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

all i'm getting from this is that kotaku is like reverse brazzers

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
So let me get this straight.

Zoe is Maggie Chow, her P.R. director is Anna Navarre.

The five guys are Paul, Walton Simons, Bob Page, JoJo fine, and joe reed.

Kotaku is Majestic 12, Escaspist is the illuminati, and reddit are the knights templar.

Where does SA fit in?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
We're the little kid that's hungry and gives you the code to the secret passage if you give him a chocolate bar in the second mission.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

EasternBronze posted:

Depression Quest and Gone Home ain't going to loving cut it.

They're fine for what they are. But it's the "you're not allowed to say anything about it but that you had a pretentious orgasm over it" that fucks poo poo up.

If people want to say it's the worst game they've played because there's no gameplay, the devs should say hmm ok well maybe the gameplay part is another aspect here we could look into, and not "you're a rapist for your feedback."

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think all feminists would really have to do is make good games that they can support and that others would enjoy playing. My guess is that even if they could make a game they support most of them wouldn't play it.

it reminds me a lot of conservatives against video games 10 years ago that didn't actually play games and made really sophomoric criticisms of them

"We must get rid of these games where you're given high score powerups for beating hookers!!!!"

Same poo poo different decade

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
SA are the guys that sell weapons to both sides for profit.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

SA is the quest that's in every wow expansion to gather literal poo poo with your bare hands

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Did I gently caress zoe yet?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

4outof5 posted:

There is a picture of the SA forums in this video. We're so loving relevant guys. UNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Can you timestamp it I didn't see it! :o:

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

The Brown Menace posted:

all i'm getting from this is that kotaku is like reverse brazzers

Not enough diversity to go for a rainbow so they'went with a sunflower instead.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

SA are the guys that sell weapons to both sides for profit.

S.A. can't be the smuggler , that guys 4chan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Can you expound on this? This actually sounds really interesting.

nobody with a serious interest in literature would likely praise a book with terrible prose, or a movie with terrible cinematography if they were in film, but a hugely disproportionate number of attempts to talk about games as art are about games with terrible mechanics

Spiky Ooze posted:

They're fine for what they are. But it's the "you're not allowed to say anything about it but that you had a pretentious orgasm over it" that fucks poo poo up.

If people want to say it's the worst game they've played because there's no gameplay, the devs should say hmm ok well maybe the gameplay part is another aspect here we could look into, and not "you're a rapist for your feedback."

lol as if that's what this is about and not more like "maybe the internet shouldn't send death threats and dig up nude photos because a bad videogame got good press"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fenrir posted:

The part that really gets me is how, for some reason, everyone who is calling out Zoe on her bullshit (you know, the whole cucking with devs and reviewers poo poo) is being lumped in with MRA assholes and poo poo like that. They built this woman up to be some kind of games hero (lol) and now that it turns out she's an rear end in a top hat, there's a huge circle jerk of denial going on about it and no one wants to admit they may have been wrong. They instead double down and attack their audience.

If Zoe had sex with journalists and the journalists wrote favorable piece of her works in return (which they didn't), that's the fault of the journalists. So why is the witch hunt only going after the girl? Why was the witch hunt going on long before any of her personal life got leaked?

Cycloneman posted:

If journalists are turds then why are death threats and hacks directed at developers?

Maybe the whole "journalist" angle is a weak cover to excuse more-of-the-same?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Brown Menace posted:

also movieblob is at it again

the gently caress is this poo poo, is it like PSN+, do i get free games

Well remember when atheists started screaming about how they aren't like those atheists

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Atheism_Plus

also testing to see if the atheism+ goons still namesearch themselves

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ColdReaches posted:

So let me get this straight.

Zoe is Maggie Chow, her P.R. director is Anna Navarre.

The five guys are Paul, Walton Simons, Bob Page, JoJo fine, and joe reed.

Kotaku is Majestic 12, Escaspist is the illuminati, and reddit are the knights templar.

Where does SA fit in?

SA is the maintenance guy who's loving with gunther's soda game

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Zoe is my girlfriend.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CrazyLittle posted:

If Zoe had sex with journalists and the journalists wrote favorable piece of her works in return (which they didn't), that's the fault of the journalists. So why is the witch hunt only going after the girl? Why was the witch hunt going on long before any of her personal life got leaked?

it isn't though. pretty much every thread on /v/ is filled with people telling others to lay off zoe since it's pushing the wrong angle. she's more of a sideshow now, but people are trying to make it look like it's the main attraction precisely to deflect from the journalism angle which /v/ is trying to push

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

has anyone posted the fockboxx video yet, i'm not reading this fuckin thread but his video makin me lol

Infurnus
Nov 4, 2009

I challenge you to a DEADMATCH, where we will fight... TO THE DEAD!

EDIT: I am not aware of any actual protest, is this person just trollin?

Infurnus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 31, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Brown Menace posted:

it isn't though. pretty much every thread on /v/ is filled with people telling others to lay off zoe since it's pushing the wrong angle. she's more of a sideshow now, but people are trying to make it look like it's the main attraction precisely to deflect from the journalism angle which /v/ is trying to push

p much. if the talk about zoe hadn't been squashed so violently the other journalists wouldn't have ended up having their own indie relationships scrutinized so closely.

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but misogyny is a p flimsy attempt at burying the whole thing under one fedora

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Well remember when atheists started screaming about how they aren't like those atheists

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Atheism_Plus

also testing to see if the atheism+ goons still namesearch themselves

Hey, we're not racist, fascist, imperialists on a mission to destroy even the faintest bit of religiosity and to put all the filthy muslamic hordes in concentration camps!

We're just a bunch of gay nerds

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
god drat so many replies in the past 2 days. who the hell got cucked now?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Brown Menace posted:

What is the journalism angle? Games journalists are shills and a joke, right?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

porkchop_express posted:

god drat so many replies in the past 2 days. who the hell got cucked now?

I did, and I have since achieved nirvana.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

a cop posted:

I did, and I have since achieved nirvana.

hot. pm pics pls

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Are you ready to join today!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Brown Menace posted:

I'm sorry but when doxxing and death threats get out, you don't really get to pick and choose what's center stage.

red19fire posted:

What is the journalism angle? Games journalists are shills and a joke, right?

Yep. Same story, new day.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Pleasant Friend posted:

Are you ready to join today!

lol this gave me a semi+

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
'we reject men's rights' sounds pretty lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm sorry but when doxxing and death threats get out, you don't really get to pick and choose what's center stage.

doxxing and death threats happened to folk outside the indie stuff but there was no uproar then

thats why this poo poo is funny. one dyed hair girl paints herself as a saint but out comes the laundry and whoops loving world explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

That has got to be a false flag fake thing, right?

• Locked thread