Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There wasn't much good about V For Vendetta

Really? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You aren't cool enough to hate fun things, are you?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

An irritation of mine is how most trailers today are more like short films then actual trailers. i know they're supposed to get people hyped up for the movie but sometimes it's ridiculous. I saw a trailer recently that was 3 minutes long.

And the films are never as good as the trailers anyway.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Because of all the Dredd talk, I feel duty bound to leave this here.

http://youtu.be/Hyph_DZa_GQ

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
People always say that about trailers, but I go to a local grindhouse night sometimes where they show old trailers beforehand, and some of those motherfuckers are lonnnng, so I refute this.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only irrationally irritating part to me was the "hotshot" instead of "flare" moment.

Everything else was basically spot on to the comic, and god damned amazing.
They were clearly saving incendiary rounds for that bit later on where he does a war-crime. Hotshot is actually what they call heatseeking rounds sometimes in the comics but yeah, that was a really bad moment. Also Anderson's badge should say "Rookie" rather than her name but other than that it's impressively faithful to the comics.
:goonsay:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Gaunab posted:

An irritation of mine is how most trailers today are more like short films then actual trailers. i know they're supposed to get people hyped up for the movie but sometimes it's ridiculous. I saw a trailer recently that was 3 minutes long.

I don't watch trailers anymore because they show the entire plot. Trailers should hint and tease about what I'll see in it, make me want to experience the story. I can understand why marketing people put the best, most dramatic scenes in the trailers, but it makes movies worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Throwing her off the balcony is a gambit. He says "yeah" because his suspicions that the bomb wouldn't go off when she hit the pavement were confirmed. Her slo-mo death is a cool call-back to the intro with her brutal murder that brought Dredd to the scene in the first place. They also emphasize that even when she's going to die, Mama doesn't really care. It was thematically appropriate and, sorry, also cool.

How do you expect one liners to be delivered? Because they seemed spot on for me given his personality and the tone of the film.

In a way that's not stunted and awkward. "...wait for her to shoot you" is probably the worst culprit. The "I am the law" that was already discussed is another. Oh, and "It's judgment time!" It's not just that their corny, it's that Urban sounds uncomfortable saying them.

My irrationally irritating part of that movie is that he twists his mouth in a way that oddly resembles Pootie Tang at various points in the movie, but that's probably just me.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Aggressive pricing posted:

I don't watch trailers anymore because they show the entire plot.
They could be worse. I remember watching Police Story 2 at my mate's house as a kid and the trailers were basically 5 minute summaries of the films, with a narrator telling you the entire plot including the ending.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
In Iron Man 3, why would Ben Kingsley's character, an English actor, be drinking Budweiser, of all beers?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

In Iron Man 3, why would Ben Kingsley's character, an English actor, be drinking Budweiser, of all beers?

Because of the monarchy. He wants the King of beers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Because he's in the United States, isn't he? Or do they travel somewhere to find him? He does have a Premier League game on, but you can watch those in America with the right cable package.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because he's in the United States, isn't he? Or do they travel somewhere to find him? He does have a Premier League game on, but you can watch those in America with the right cable package.
He's in Miami, I think. Though as anyone who's seen Withnail & I knows, english actors will drink anything.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
We have Budweiser in the UK you clown. People here even drink it sometimes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Because it's cheap?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's not irrational, but I'm not sure where to ask. In drawn animation cartoons you can tell when a piece of scenery is going to be active, like a drawer or door because it stands out opposed to the static background. What is that called exactly?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

mng posted:

It's not irrational, but I'm not sure where to ask. In drawn animation cartoons you can tell when a piece of scenery is going to be active, like a drawer or door because it stands out opposed to the static background. What is that called exactly?

Not sure of the technical name, but it's due to the object being on an animation cel layer rather than a background layer. If you haven't seen traditional animation stuff before, each frame is composed of the individual components painted on transparent cellulite; the parts that move do so on their own sheet, then each scene is made of the different animation layers literally stacked on top of the background(s). Backgrounds were also usually done in watercolor, which gives the extra level of difference between the background and animation. It's also worth noting that the layers of cels weren't 100% perfect, so the plastic could actually cause issues with the color on lower levels looking different or literal shadows to show up on background layers from those in the front

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

He was a starving actor before so it's what he is used to.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Coffee And Pie posted:

Because they paid for the product placement

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that sucks in Man of Tai Chi is that it has Iko Uwais in one of the fights but barely uses him. So instead of a super awesome Tai Chi/Silat fight instead it's just Silat/guy who doesn't want to fight.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

muscles like this? posted:

Something that sucks in Man of Tai Chi is that it has Iko Uwais in one of the fights but barely uses him. So instead of a super awesome Tai Chi/Silat fight instead it's just Silat/guy who doesn't want to fight.

This drove me completely mad. The second I saw him in the boat/club I thought that was going to be one of the last fights and I was super pumped. I would have paid just to see that. But then only disappointment.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was just mad there wasn't a sex scene, and a line afterwards that said "I came here a boy of tai chi, and now I leave as a Man of Tai Chi".

Same level of annoyance that no one said "It's daylight saving time" in Sunshine.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

mng posted:

TVTropes calls it a "Conspicuously Light Patch"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mng posted:

Roger Ebert used to call those 'Fudd Flags' since Elmer could use them to hunt down Bugs Bunny. I don't know that they have an actual technical term, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Disgusting Coward posted:

We have Budweiser in the UK you clown. People here even drink it sometimes.

And then we go to the bathroom and refill the kegs. It is all part of the great cycle of life.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

All beer is disgusting anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sentient Data posted:

Not sure of the technical name, but it's due to the object being on an animation cel layer rather than a background layer. If you haven't seen traditional animation stuff before, each frame is composed of the individual components painted on transparent cellulite; the parts that move do so on their own sheet, then each scene is made of the different animation layers literally stacked on top of the background(s). Backgrounds were also usually done in watercolor, which gives the extra level of difference between the background and animation. It's also worth noting that the layers of cels weren't 100% perfect, so the plastic could actually cause issues with the color on lower levels looking different or literal shadows to show up on background layers from those in the front

Adam Savage used to work as a color mixer for an animation studio, he talked about it in one of the Tested podcasts.

Basically, since you're layering animation cels on top of each other to have multiple moving objects/characters in a scene, you run into problems with the celluloid blocking a small amount of light from coming through. This causes the colors on the rearmost cels to show up darker than they should have. The fix for this was to mix colors so you had multiple lighter and darker versions of the same color, and then use the lighter colors for cels that were meant to go behind other cells. So for instance, you would have a cell of Baloo running, and then multiple versions of that cel in lighter and darker colors, depending on which scene you needed it for.

Traditional animation is amazingly complex to get right.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

mng posted:

It's parodied here pretty funnily.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

KozmoNaut posted:

Adam Savage used to work as a color mixer for an animation studio, he talked about it in one of the Tested podcasts.

Basically, since you're layering animation cels on top of each other to have multiple moving objects/characters in a scene, you run into problems with the celluloid blocking a small amount of light from coming through. This causes the colors on the rearmost cels to show up darker than they should have. The fix for this was to mix colors so you had multiple lighter and darker versions of the same color, and then use the lighter colors for cels that were meant to go behind other cells. So for instance, you would have a cell of Baloo running, and then multiple versions of that cel in lighter and darker colors, depending on which scene you needed it for.

I think I just found that podcast, thanks! Tested is a neato channel when they're discussing past jobs, and Adam's man cave is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the replies :)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

If you want to see something really impressive, get your hands on a copy of Rock & Rule which is...well its a complicated and somewhat tragic story. The important thing is that you could consider it the magnus opus of traditional cel animation, pushing the boundaries of what could be done with physical photography and art. Some of their special effects shots had over thirty layers of cels being lit and manipulated! Its basically insane.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Byzantine posted:

All beer is disgusting anyway.

Do you also have an opinion on tipping that you would like to share with us?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Do you also have an opinion on tipping that you would like to share with us?

Don't tip cows, it's mean and hurtful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LeJackal posted:

If you want to see something really impressive, get your hands on a copy of Rock & Rule which is...well its a complicated and somewhat tragic story. The important thing is that you could consider it the magnus opus of traditional cel animation, pushing the boundaries of what could be done with physical photography and art. Some of their special effects shots had over thirty layers of cels being lit and manipulated! Its basically insane.

Awesome, thanks for the tip :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even Roadrunner cartoons used to parody it, like when the cliffs would fall instead of the coyote's bridge trap.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well i know it's a kids movie and all, but this is the irrationally irritating movie thread.

I recently saw Kung Fu Panda, and the main villain is kept in some really supermax prison because he's the baddest and meanest fighter there is. He's chained and immobilized in a dark pit.
Then i thought to myself, why not just execute him? I know, i know, kids movie. But still, far more humane than being chained with both arms to the wall in a dark pit for the rest of your life, worse than the often critized real life isolation cells. Plus, you don't need to pay the salaries of 1000 thousand rhino prison guards.

Besides, he ends up escaping anyway and ends up blown to smithereens offscreen.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Sep 1, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ok. I have a few. I was watching Superman 2 yesterday for the first time in a long while. I remembered it being cheesy but still liking it. Jesus Christ is this thing a piece of poo poo. Lex and Ms. Tessmacher escape in a from prison in a helium balloon. They're caught doing it. So no one within 50 miles is on the lookout for a hot air balloon or can spot one.

Later, Lex, still in his prison garb, has somehow guided the balloon to the Antarctic because he knows where Superman's Fortress of Solitude is. It has to be loving FREEZING up there, especially in the loving SKY, but here's Lex with his bald head and still in his prison skivvies floating around with his half naked bitch, not freezing at all, not hungry or anything and with obviously no one looking for him.

Christ.

Earlier, a little kid falls off the ledge of Niagra Falls and, honest to god, it must take him 45 seconds to even begin to reach the bottom. I'm not entirely sure how gravity works but I know a bit.

Then later we get Superman cellophane logo superpower out of nowhere. Movie loving sucks. I love Chris Reeve in the role and a lot of other things about it stylistically but gently caress if this movie hasn't aged badly.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Superman 2

When I watched Superman III as a kid the irritating movie moment was spending so much screen time on some random weirdo, now it's that he didn't get more. Pryor as the main antagonist would have been fantastic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Falukorv posted:

Well i know it's a kids movie and all, but this is the irrationally irritating movie thread.

I recently saw Kung Fu Panda, and the main villain is kept in some really supermax prison because he's the baddest and meanest fighter there is. He's chained and immobilized in a dark pit.
Then i thought to myself, why not just execute him? I know, i know, kids movie. But still, far more humane than being chained with both arms to the wall in a dark pit for the rest of your life, worse than the often critized real life isolation cells. Plus, you don't need to pay the salaries of 1000 thousand rhino prison guards.

Sometimes it's too risky to kill someone because they have allies, or because it would cause public sentiment to turn against you. It could be one of those things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's also possible his mentor pulled some strings. Tai didn't seem to be actively evil before he was turned down for the scroll, just egotistical and self-centered. That he flipped the gently caress out and went berserk was probably argued down to a moment of madness than anything calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Cant think of any allies, the whole town was basically evacuating when they got wind of that he'd escaped. He was a lone wolf. But yeah, the mentor having a soft spot is a good enough reason (ignoring that he was arguably held in a state worse than death).

I mean, the whole town cheered when he was killed, nobody would care if they killed him in custody. poor Tai, kind of feel sorry for him. Shouldn't have indoctrinated him in a messianic warrior cult, not his fault if you think about it.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Sep 2, 2014