Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

District Selectman posted:

I immediately told my sister in med school: please don't listen to mom and dad for financial advice, I am always here to talk to.

Doctors are mostly very bright people, but between massive student loans and (eventual) large salaries, they develop bad habits. Her and her med school friends were all having panic attacks about their loans, but now they're all pretty numb to it. That's a cool survival mechanism, but you shouldn't be numb to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt! And then in 10 years, they're all going to making way more money than they have the time or inclination to spend properly, and spend it on crap or bad investments.

Add to that they have virtually no time to learn about anything other than doctoring, and it's no wonder they're bad with money. When are they supposed to study proper investment, or even give it any thought? I see a similar thing with engineers, although I feel like they have less of an excuse. For them, it seems to be about choice; they're just so spergy they focus all of their mental energies on engineering and their obsessive hobbies that they never learn about money.
I know a couple doctors, fresh grads and almost retiring. They have *lots* of time to learn about investing and budgeting. That is a 100% cop out and a choice they make. They could forego a couple of evenings of drinking and learn basically all you need to know about budgeting and mutual fund picking, but they choose not to (or they do it, and *actually* become wealthy..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

District Selectman posted:

I see a similar thing with engineers, although I feel like they have less of an excuse. For them, it seems to be about choice; they're just so spergy they focus all of their mental energies on engineering and their obsessive hobbies that they never learn about money.
This is my uncle.

Speaking of him, I learned last night that not only is he drawing down on his 401k to take a long break from work and to fund his mildly obsessive doomsday prepping and other ridiculous projects around the house, for years he had been running like four shell corporations that he shuffled money between every year to get more back in taxes. He said he doesn't do it anymore but I was like :stare:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Bad with money story: Me. Today. I had to pay a $360 fine because I forgot to pay my property tax on time. Then I paid a $90 "convenience fee" to pay it online because I can't be assed to write a check and stick it in an envelope (well, I might have if they had mentioned the fee before the last step, but by then I'd already typed in my whole credit card number! At least I'll get half the fee back in points).

Oh, convenience fees.

When I had finally finished up my undergrad thesis, I had to get two copies bound at $9 each. My old university wanted a "convenience fee" of something like $10 for the privilege of paying by credit card (I worked on campus and could have easily dropped by the cashier's office with the cash, if only they would have accepted it). But you can get around this by paying electronically with an e-check! Unless you mis-enter one digit like I did and get billed a $25 penalty for your hubris.

:negative:

On the plus side it steels my resolve to keep my wallet closed whenever the Alumni Association comes calling, hat in hand.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is my uncle.

Speaking of him, I learned last night that not only is he drawing down on his 401k to take a long break from work and to fund his mildly obsessive doomsday prepping and other ridiculous projects around the house, for years he had been running like four shell corporations that he shuffled money between every year to get more back in taxes. He said he doesn't do it anymore but I was like :stare:

Heh, we've got a few uncommitted preppers. These are guys who haven't done it yet, but talk a lot of poo poo about burying a schoolbus in the ground and living in it like a bunker. Got a guy who doesn't believe in banks either, and keeps his money in cash :stare:

I just don't get it. I talk to 50+ year old engineers who have been making $100k+ for the last decade+ and they're living month to month. They seem to take pride in not understanding how to take care of their money and there's a lot of "I'll work till I'm dead I guess" gallows humor.

This even goes for my parents, who will both retire from a defense contractor with a maxed out 35+ year pension, that will likely pay them about $50k a year EACH once they retire. Forget about their lifetime of savings, which should be enormous. If you take into account equity in their home and a combined $100k annual pension, plus social security...I have to ask myself why my dad is joking about never being able to retire? Having seen the frivolous things my parents wasted money on over the years though, I believe his concern.

Anyway, that whole group is lesson enough for me. An addiction to nice SUV's, and expensive hobbies to fill the void in your soul is not a good way to financial freedom.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SiGmA_X posted:

I know a couple doctors, fresh grads and almost retiring. They have *lots* of time to learn about investing and budgeting. That is a 100% cop out and a choice they make. They could forego a couple of evenings of drinking and learn basically all you need to know about budgeting and mutual fund picking, but they choose not to (or they do it, and *actually* become wealthy..)

I'm not a doctor, and only know med school students, so you may be right. My evidence is purely anecdotal and based on what my sister and her friends tell me. Somewhere there's an engineers sibling saying, "my brother said engineers don't have ANY spare time to learn about money", and I would be all like bitch that ain't true.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jeffrey posted:

Having a company card instead is nice. I only have to pay the bill if I don't have proof that something was for work, and it's all after the fact. Even without it, the company would certainly book flights and hotels for me, why would I front them cash for that? (I guess the cash back would be kind of nice.)

You miss out on all the rewards then. My company is going to mandatory Corp cards and it loving sucks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bloody Queef posted:

You miss out on all the rewards then. My company is going to mandatory Corp cards and it loving sucks.

I have a work issued spending card for traveling. Seemed safer to me than getting a credit card even if I could get a rewards one. What is the company goes under? You're but a creditor on a bankruptcy. Maybe for bigger companies the risk would be less, but even then you never know.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Knyteguy posted:

I have a work issued spending card for traveling. Seemed safer to me than getting a credit card even if I could get a rewards one. What is the company goes under? You're but a creditor on a bankruptcy. Maybe for bigger companies the risk would be less, but even then you never know.

In general with corporate cards the cardholder is also held individually liable.

I work for an enormous company, but if my company went under, I'd have a lot more to worry about than the 2-3k they owed me for travel reimbursement at any given time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Who agrees to pay that for a 600 dollar phone?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
People who don't have $600.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cloks posted:

Who agrees to pay that for a 600 dollar phone?

Don't ask stupid questions. Obviously people who want it NOW.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is literally insane. There are no words.

I spoke with a lady who has 2009 Toyota Camry and pays $550 a month for it. That is more than what I pay for two vehicles, both newer and a bit more expensive than that car.

The financing situations people have are insane. The banks clearly make money off of me, I can't imagine how much money hand over fist they are making from folks that pay interest rates/payments like that.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

People who don't have $600.
But here's something I don't understand- they're apparently too broke to pay $600 for a phone, but they're prepared to pay $142/month for it? I don't know about you guys, but $142/month is nothing to scoff at, and I say that as a guy with a decent income.

I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

melon cat posted:

But here's something I don't understand- they're apparently too broke to pay $600 for a phone, but they're prepared to pay $142/month for it? I don't know about you guys, but $142/month is nothing to scoff at, and I say that as a guy with a decent income.

Literally go without the elite phone for two months and you're already half way to owning the phone outright.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jastiger posted:

Literally go without the elite phone for two months and you're already half way to owning the phone outright.

Or if you really cannot wait, get an interest free loan from your network carrier and pay $20 a month or whatever that comes out to. There is no worse way to purchase things than this

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Some people can't keep cash around without spending it, and to them $64 a paycheck is easier to make than $600 every other year. :smith:

Speaking of lease, is mentioned a friend of a friend who was under a ton of debt and selling Mary Kay while considering an RRSP loan from Primerica a while back.

Got an update; they didn't get the loan because their credit is too poor. Got into a cat accident, couldn't afford the deductible to get it fixed... Somehow they returned it to the dealership where they'd leased it and got the old lease rolled into a new one for an econo subcompact, which costs them $500 a month or so.

They're both in retails with two kids. Thankfully she gave up the Mary Kay... But she had enough credit card debt that she couldn't make payments, so she went to one of those debt service companies that advertise on TV. They convinced her that she couldn't afford to declare bankruptcy so they arranged a consumer's proposal of some sort.

I've met these people once and I only really know them at arm's length so I don't have exact numbers, but goddamn...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

Or if you really cannot wait, get an interest free loan from your network carrier and pay $20 a month or whatever that comes out to. There is no worse way to purchase things than this

To be fair, you have to qualify credit wise for that still with carriers. They all fk that system now (no contract) but the credit standards are higher.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jastiger posted:

I spoke with a lady who has 2009 Toyota Camry and pays $550 a month for it. That is more than what I pay for two vehicles, both newer and a bit more expensive than that car.

Are you comparing equal loan term lengths? If not, then the comparison doesn't mean much.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh, convenience fees.

When I had finally finished up my undergrad thesis, I had to get two copies bound at $9 each. My old university wanted a "convenience fee" of something like $10 for the privilege of paying by credit card (I worked on campus and could have easily dropped by the cashier's office with the cash, if only they would have accepted it). But you can get around this by paying electronically with an e-check! Unless you mis-enter one digit like I did and get billed a $25 penalty for your hubris.

:negative:

On the plus side it steels my resolve to keep my wallet closed whenever the Alumni Association comes calling, hat in hand.

This. My undergrad school was great and while it was expensive up front, everything was included; my master's degree school nickel and dimed me with all sorts of bullshit fees like you described. I donate to my undergrad; my master's school gets nothing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

University I'm taking classes at right now uses a payment processor that charges a $10 convenience fee for cc payments online.

Visa told them to cut that poo poo.

They stopped accepting Visa.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EgonSpengler posted:

Are you comparing equal loan term lengths? If not, then the comparison doesn't mean much.

TO be fair, I don't know the entire loan length. I just think its insane that someone with limited means spending twice what I do on two vehicles.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

What makes you think they're actually going to make those payments? I doubt anyone actually does for more than a couple months.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Back in the 90s, my ex traveled for work on the company credit card, but she got to keep all the rewards points and airline miles. I'm pretty sure the company paid the bill directly, because we were too young and stupid not to spend reimbursement checks on toys and drugs.

Guess it's not Clinton's America any more.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FrozenVent posted:

University I'm taking classes at right now uses a payment processor that charges a $10 convenience fee for cc payments online.

Visa told them to cut that poo poo.

They stopped accepting Visa.

My university does this for CC payments but instead of charging a flat fee, it's a percentage of the bill owed. I paid with a card once and realized that I was paying $50 to not use a check and a 40 cent stamp. gently caress that.

Folly
May 26, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Got into a cat accident, couldn't afford the deductible to get it fixed...

:catstare:
I laughed way too much at that typo.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What makes you think they're actually going to make those payments? I doubt anyone actually does for more than a couple months.

That's the game as I understand rent to own. They don't actually expect anybody to finish making the payments without screwing up once, at which point they go repo the furniture and do it again. They can sell the same piece of inventory over and over that way. And if the poo poo is too worthless to repossess, they'd rather destroy it than let you keep it, because they know you'll be back. It's the predecessor to payday lending, back before they discovered they could run the same scam without having to have inventory, and that garnishment laws were easier to manage than repossession.

I'm not sure how you'd self-help repossess a phone, though. Physical confrontation seems impossible to avoid.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Folly posted:

I'm not sure how you'd self-help repossess a phone, though. Physical confrontation seems impossible to avoid.

Maybe they have some sort of resettable soft-kill switch. Not sure how you'd keep a customer from unlocking it disabling it, though... Maybe that's when you resort to physical repo and collections.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Old Fart posted:

Guess it's not Clinton's America any more.

Most of those 90s expense policies were reversed partly because businesses are tighter with cash, but also largely because of Sarbanes Oxley and the resulting rise in tightly internal controls.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

A $2500 phone is a serious status symbol not to be passed on while saving to buy a $600 phone. Why save for four months to avoid spending $1900?

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMKHE26PU8

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Folly posted:

:catstare:
I laughed way too much at that typo.

That's the game as I understand rent to own. They don't actually expect anybody to finish making the payments without screwing up once, at which point they go repo the furniture and do it again. They can sell the same piece of inventory over and over that way. And if the poo poo is too worthless to repossess, they'd rather destroy it than let you keep it, because they know you'll be back. It's the predecessor to payday lending, back before they discovered they could run the same scam without having to have inventory, and that garnishment laws were easier to manage than repossession.

I was introduced to SA through the Goldmine entry, Stories from Rent-to-Own.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

He started a business with his student loan money. I think this guy's problems were compounded by not maintaining minimum enrollment at school. He spent 2 years in prison, with another 5 or so on probation.

:catstare: drat, what a dumbass. If you aren't enrolled at least half time, you get a final demand letter and have to pay it all back in 90 days. There are much safer ways to get money that do not involve loving with the federal government's money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Used to be that here in Quebec you'd get a big check from the school at the beginning of the semester (they got the check from the government, took out tuition and gave you the rest, I think).

Plenty of stories of women getting boob jobs and dudes buying cars... Then being broke until the next semester.

They switched to a monthly system ten years back or so.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Used to be that here in Quebec you'd get a big check from the school at the beginning of the semester (they got the check from the government, took out tuition and gave you the rest, I think).

Plenty of stories of women getting boob jobs and dudes buying cars... Then being broke until the next semester.

They switched to a monthly system ten years back or so.

In the states, some schools would do that too. Some with transient populations would be screwed if the person left and the school had to cover the money. Most stopped that practice once it wasn't so fun to hand out easy money, thank god.

I could fill a thread on poo poo that went down in the student loan industry. Like the housing bubble, except now part of it is waaaay more subsidized.

Effexxor fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 31, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Effexxor posted:

In the states, some schools would do that too. Some with transient populations would be screwed if the person left and the school had to cover the money. Most stopped that practice once it wasn't so fun to hand out easy money, thank god.

I could fill a thread on poo poo that went down in the student loan industry. Like the housing bubble, except now part of it is waaaay more subsidized.

That would be a great thread, you should do it, because a lot of people have got stories. Or you could lay down some bad-with money poo poo here.

Hell, education financing in the US is a whole country bad with money.

I've got a friend who has a bachelor's and masters in English lit, a ton of medical and other debt, and 110k in student loans. I told him he should just flee the country.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I vote that anyone who mentions cars itt outside of a story about people bad with money has to watch this entire youtube video or get probated.

http://youtu.be/kzim1iYhmGA

Could we do something similar with people who get all frugal-er-than-thou over the choice of vehicle, residence, or leisure activity of someone living within their means?

The Door Frame posted:

You could put $600 on a credit card at 30% interest, pay off much less than $140 a month, and still come out way ahead of that.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Thank you for that link. :lol: Everyone needs to read this.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was introduced to SA through the Goldmine entry, Stories from Rent-to-Own.

It's stuff like this that got me hooked on SA. Awesome read.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

Could we do something similar with people who get all frugal-er-than-thou over the choice of vehicle, residence, or leisure activity of someone living within their means?

You could put $600 on a credit card at 30% interest, pay off much less than $140 a month, and still come out way ahead of that.

Rent to own customers don't have credit cards though.

Because they have poo poo credit scores.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Rent to own customers don't have credit cards though.

Because they have poo poo credit scores.

I remember getting my credit card when I was in my first year of university. They literally have a worse credit score than a student.

e: I really needed to add this as it's closer to home for me.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0406/S00004/2003-draunisalato-award-for-worst-company-in-fiji.htm

quote:

Burns Philps normally charges 1.7 % monthly interest rates, while Courts charges 1.9 % monthly interest rates. This translates to 20.4 % interest rate or 22.8 % interest rate a year on the goods sold. If the payments are spread over two-three years, the interest rate doubles and triples. In addition, the interest rate is fixed and not based on reducing balance. In the end, the customers may end up paying a total of 40% or 50% interest rates or more on the value of the goods purchased.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Student cards are a whole different animal though, you're assumed not to have credit in the first place. It's an introductory thing to get used to having a credit card.

• Locked thread