Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inkspot posted:

Warrior Who doesn't have the same ring to it, so John Hurt doesn't count.

They Call Me Mr Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Why don't they call him 2.1.0?

Rose's love doll can be 1.10.1

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

In news that nobody noticed, yesterday Bill Kerr (the non-Troughton antagonist from the until recently lost The Enemy Of The World serial) passed away yesterday at 92 (he was the oldest surviving Doctor Who actor). He literally died laughing watching Seinfeld.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 30, 2014

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Metal Loaf posted:

No, sir. He's all thirteen. :v:

(If they'd been able to keep Capaldi's casting a secret somehow until that moment, it would've been pretty bonkers.)

Holy Moly, can you imagine? I would have screamed in the theater

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tornhelm posted:

In news that nobody noticed, yesterday Bill Kerr

Spoilers :mad:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tornhelm posted:

In news that nobody noticed, yesterday Bill Kerr (the non-Troughton antagonist from the until recently lost The Enemy Of The World serial) passed away yesterday at 92 (he was the oldest surviving Doctor Who actor). He literally died laughing watching Seinfeld.

Actually, and I literally just looked this up last night since I was watching Inferno so that's the only reason I know this, but Olaf Pooley is still kicking at 100!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

They released it on iTunes like a year ago man.

Also I stand corrected. I was moderately sure he was the oldest surviving one though for some reason.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Stairs posted:

except it was clearly established in 10's run that they were not killed, just locked away.

This isn't established at all. They wdrs timelocked then killed according to 10s run

kant
May 12, 2003

Stairs posted:

Except that it was the same drat shed as in "Day of the Doctor" and that was on Gallifrey.
Are we 100% sure about this? It's like a sunny nice day outside where the shed is and that doesn't seem right compared to the scenes on Gallifrey. You'd think he'd use the device from outside the area it would effect. Plus there's the whole other level of being time lock'd that has nothing to do with the time war. Isn't it supposed to be impossible for a time lord to go back in time on Gallifrey? They're always part of the same timeline.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

kant posted:

Are we 100% sure about this?

It's explicitly stated in the script and shown in the episode with a flashback to Day of the Doctor, so yes.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

"His sister isn't" on the tv is just as good as it is on paper

kant
May 12, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

It's explicitly stated in the script and shown in the episode with a flashback to Day of the Doctor, so yes.

OK. I didn't really want to re-watch it to make sure. Guess there's no making sense of it all.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The episode didn't have the part from the script where Rusty self-destructs and blows up the Dalek ship. It made the ending kind of vague. Maybe they decided to bring Rusty back later.

Anyway, I liked the actual episode better than the script, but the Doctor was still too much of a jerk. That seemed to be toned down in the later scripts, though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

kant posted:

Are we 100% sure about this? It's like a sunny nice day outside where the shed is and that doesn't seem right compared to the scenes on Gallifrey. You'd think he'd use the device from outside the area it would effect. Plus there's the whole other level of being time lock'd that has nothing to do with the time war. Isn't it supposed to be impossible for a time lord to go back in time on Gallifrey? They're always part of the same timeline.

I always assumed that it wasn't on Gallifrey, but it's quite possible for it to have been there. When talking to the moment the War Doctor does say he doesn't expect to survive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

I always assumed that it wasn't on Gallifrey, but it's quite possible for it to have been there. When talking to the moment the War Doctor does say he doesn't expect to survive.

It has the same moon system as Gallifrey. Am I the only one that got that it was meant to be his childhood home even back then?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Why don't they call him 2.1.0?

Rose's love doll can be 1.10.1

Peter Capaldi is the Second First Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The only one where it matters what number he is is Ten because the actor's stage name has "Ten" in it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The next time it will matter is when cloning is discovered and William Hartnell #20 plays the 20th doctor

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PriorMarcus posted:

It has the same moon system as Gallifrey. Am I the only one that got that it was meant to be his childhood home even back then?

I always thought the Doctor came from a well to do family, that house looked like a barn or a farmhouse. Perhaps it was on their property. Makes the ending of Listen make more sense.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Not sure which thread this belongs in, but I really hope when Coleman leaves they don't shove Clara into some alternate universe or whatever crap. She actually has a life and a family. Not to mention it feels like such a cop out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Pink really gets Cyberman'd, she might just be too distraught to continue going with the Doctor.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

PassTheRemote posted:

I always thought the Doctor came from a well to do family, that house looked like a barn or a farmhouse. Perhaps it was on their property. Makes the ending of Listen make more sense.

In Listen his parents actually say "Why is he sleeping out here instead of in the house?"

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only one where it matters what number he is is Ten because the actor's stage name has "Ten" in it.

Ten-in't :haw:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Stairs posted:

In Listen his parents actually say "Why is he sleeping out here instead of in the house?"

I'm not sure those are his parents, at least not biologically. They mention that he's not like the other boys, which is an odd choice of words for parents to use. I think that he's just run away from an orphanage, which would make for an interesting parallel with the rest of the story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

They mention that he's not like the other boys

Misdirection, he is The Other Boy

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm not sure those are his parents, at least not biologically. They mention that he's not like the other boys, which is an odd choice of words for parents to use. I think that he's just run away from an orphanage, which would make for an interesting parallel with the rest of the story.

But then who is the Time Lord who helps Wilf in End of Time who is basically supposed to be the Doctor's mom?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Misdirection, he is The Other Boy

Stop right now, and I'll look the other way. Keep going, and I'll throw you into the looms myself.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
This interesting Missy theory came up in a discussion (involving some former Doctor Who writers) on Facebook.

quote:

Adrian Middleton: My money is on Miss Evangelista from Silence in the Library. She retained her IQ and after years of stories from River Song obsessed on the Doctor. The Doctor has clearly rigged his sonic to download souls into the library (via the "death-easing" pills introduced in ITD) expecting River to help them ease into their new afterlife. Of course the genius level Missy helped River escape the Library and has taken her place.

Robert Shearman: That's really clever, Adrian. I mean, I sort of hope it isn't that, because I'd prefer Missy to be a new character altogether unburdened by past stories - but that's the cleverest theory I've yet heard.

Robert Shearman: (Um. No offence to the other theories.)

Adrian Middleton: Well it allows Moffat to make the Doctor seem a super-callous-fragile-mystic who turns out just trying to epitomise Eccleston's "everybody lives!" vibe. Plus it lets him be smug about every single story he ever wrote leading up to the conclusion. PS. Sorry for the Mary Poppins joke

Paul Simpson: Death-easing pills? It was a power cell that would enable him to track the remains I thought... and it wasn't the first soldier who turned up.

Adrian Middleton If he'd been seeing giving a pill to the same soldier who "ascended" it would be a dead giveaway. He's probably there too.

Adrian Middleton Given that the memory storing cell from the sonic in silence in the library was a power cell too, then its a convenient lie.

Paul Simpson The frightening thing about where that could be leading is that it brings River back into the series finale...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PassTheRemote posted:

But then who is the Time Lord who helps Wilf in End of Time who is basically supposed to be the Doctor's mom?

Never explicitly stated to be his mother so easy to change or ignore

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still think the best theory I've seen so far about Missy is her being an amalgamation of all the dead Clara's throughout history. Still programmed to save the Doctor, but twisted and "giving him hell", as Vastra told her.

Someone else expanded on that and wondered if control-freak Clara would die in the end to take control of Missy and stop her.

It's goofy as hell, but I could see Moffat going there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Never explicitly stated to be his mother so easy to change or ignore

You know, I never really thought about it before- but what if that was the Doctor's wife?

Like his actual, original wife. Unless he adopted Susan's father/mother, whichever was his, and there's some mutterings that he absolutely didn't, he has a wife unaccounted for, and she'd be about the right age to go with Hartnell Doc.

Maybe they split up or some such.

Basically I'm willing to accept anything except the idea that it was his mom because that's lame.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this, but I'd kind of like to the the Rani re-introduced.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Stormfang1502 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this, but I'd kind of like to the the Rani re-introduced.

I'd be down for it as long as Pip and Jane don't suddenly start writing for the new series.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm all in for the Rani. Anything would be better than it being River or some random again. It would also be a great nod to Kate O'Mara since she wanted the Rani back.

My 14 year old son, who likes old Who too says "who is that barking woman? Is she evil? Evil people bark. Oh God is it that Scientist lady from when Radagast was the Doctor?" So I'm guessing he's hoping she's actually the Rani. Or a dog. Probably a dog.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I know she's American, but Kate Mulgrew would make an excellent Rani if they wanted to bring the character back to its supposed thematic origins.

Missy will not be the Rani because there's exactly one good idea buried in The Rani and it's not there in any of Missy's appearances. It's probably going to be a new character. Maybe it'll be Death, who is so in love with the Doctor because of all the people who die around him and there'll be more hand-wringing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Stormfang1502 posted:

Yeah the Rani has never been brought up before :)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's so cute when the normal thread hopes the next episode won't be poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's so cute when the normal thread hopes the next episode won't be poo poo.

And manages to predict exactly how it will be poo poo. I'm waiting to see everyone jizz themselves over Listen while ignoring how loving stupid the young Doctor being in it is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know an idea is bad when even fan theories can come up with an explanation for Missy that isn't dumb.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sonance posted:

This interesting Missy theory came up in a discussion (involving some former Doctor Who writers) on Facebook.

I don't buy it, but I do think "Heaven" is probably digital, and both Half-Face and Gretchen were scanned by Missy and uploaded a half-second before their deaths. So this system works like the Library's system, and may indeed be related.
Still hanging on to the idea that Missy's an Evil Clara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I don't buy it, but I do think "Heaven" is probably digital, and both Half-Face and Gretchen were scanned by Missy and uploaded a half-second before their deaths. So this system works like the Library's system, and may indeed be related.
Still hanging on to the idea that Missy's an Evil Clara.

It's got something to do with the Cybermen too probably.

• Locked thread