Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

That really sucks. I had something similar in leaving vents open. How much rain could possibly get in there? Lots, actually.

All this D&D chat reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Heaven: Where cooks are French, mechanics are German, police are English, lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where cooks are English, mechanics are French, police are Germans, lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.

This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Racism is pretty funny when it's against white people.

EDIT: I don't actually give a poo poo.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In the same way that regular folk making fun of the elites is fine but rich people making GBS threads on poors is not.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Backov posted:

Racism is pretty funny when it's against white people.

If you believe any of those are races, you should think about who you're agreeing with

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress my loving life. Literally three hours after I slam down $280 for a new chain and sprockets, the puncture repair on my practically new PR4 fails.

Hooray for being broke yet another month! In a row! :smithicide:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Well, that blows.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whoops, meant to post this in pictures and video

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slavvy posted:

gently caress my loving life. Literally three hours after I slam down $280 for a new chain and sprockets, the puncture repair on my practically new PR4 fails.

Hooray for being broke yet another month! In a row! :smithicide:

That does loving blow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't loving get what goes through people's heads with gear choices.

Spotted yesterday: dude on a Harley wearing an armored, leather motorcycle jacket, with no helmet and athletic shorts to complement it. It was 80+ degrees out, it seems like he just aimed for the worst combination of protection and comfort possible.

Also, typical sportbike squid, no gear besides a helmet, except he had a pillion that was helmet-less, what's that fucker thinking "Well, I'm going to have some nasty road rash if I go down, but at least this person behind me will be dead, so I'll be better off than her!"?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I don't loving get what goes through people's heads with gear choices.

Spotted yesterday: dude on a Harley wearing an armored, leather motorcycle jacket, with no helmet and athletic shorts to complement it. It was 80+ degrees out, it seems like he just aimed for the worst combination of protection and comfort possible.

Also, typical sportbike squid, no gear besides a helmet, except he had a pillion that was helmet-less, what's that fucker thinking "Well, I'm going to have some nasty road rash if I go down, but at least this person behind me will be dead, so I'll be better off than her!"?

I hate seeing guys with their helmet and MAYBE more gear on (unlikely) and their girlfriend on the back with no helmet and in a tank top + short shorts. Give them the helmet at least :(.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love the helmet on the helmet lock attached to the bike. Just leave it in the garage, then.

I don't understand why you'd bring it with you but not wear it.

Sometimes when I was picking my son up from a sleepover or dropping my daughter off at school, I'd bungee their helmet to the seat when they weren't on the bike. But I'd be wearing my own drat helmet I tell you what.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"YEAH. It's not that I don't have a helmet, but that I'm too cool to wear it. SEE?!"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ah. It comes from people always saying, "Don't you have a helmet?" Now they can point to it and say, "Doy! It's right there, ya moron!"

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

I love the helmet on the helmet lock attached to the bike. Just leave it in the garage, then.

It's for when they actually ride at 10/10ths* when railing the dragon.

*park it in the corners

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

Sometimes when I was picking my son up from a sleepover or dropping my daughter off at school, I'd bungee their helmet to the seat when they weren't on the bike. But I'd be wearing my own drat helmet I tell you what.

Its for if you come across a chick* who wont get on the back without a helmet on

*Guy, its always a guy

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

I paid several hundred bucks for this helmet with the sweet skulls and poo poo on it and you're gonna loving see it goddammit

Wear it? What the gently caress for? I've got sunglasses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Well, see, you just put it on when you're planning to crash. If you're not gonna crash then you can leave it off. Simple.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

Well, see, you just put it on when you're planning to crash. If you're not gonna crash then you can leave it off. Simple.

This cracks me up when people say why do you wear gear all the time if you only need it when you're going to crash.

Because, um, I don't know when I'm going to crash, not like it's gonna be planned.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Filling up a few weeks ago, this squid comes into the gas station. He has the helmet on the helmet lock. He had just bought it and hadn't bothered to take it out of the helmet bag. The drawstrings on the bag had gotten caught in the rear wheel and damaged the helmet. It was an expensive helmet too, Shoei or Arai, if I remember correctly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

The drawstrings on the bag had gotten caught in the rear wheel

This terrifies me. I don't know what happens on a motorcycle when a rope gets wrapped around the wheel, but having gone down hard a couple of times on my bicycle as a kid when a dangling backpack strap or something got caught in the spokes, I am religious about not having anything loose and flappy that could get anywhere near the wheels. :ohdear:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Shimrod posted:

This cracks me up when people say why do you wear gear all the time if you only need it when you're going to crash.

Because, um, I don't know when I'm going to crash, not like it's gonna be planned.

What, you didn't check the crash schedule before you left the house?

Sagebrush posted:

This terrifies me. I don't know what happens on a motorcycle when a rope gets wrapped around the wheel, but having gone down hard a couple of times on my bicycle as a kid when a dangling backpack strap or something got caught in the spokes, I am religious about not having anything loose and flappy that could get anywhere near the wheels. :ohdear:

At one job, I had this great little protected alcove where I would park my bike. The only downside was that was where the outside hose was kept. One night I left work without noticing that part of the hose was in my chain. Pulled out, rode about 20 feet, and ran out of hose. Luckily, I was only going about 2 mph, so the fall was more annoying than damaging.

I would not want to try something similar at more than the walking pace I was going.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Go riding without my 30' white silk scarf!? I'd rather die!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

TheNothingNew posted:

Go riding without my 30' white silk scarf!? I'd rather die!

Isadora Duncan died for your sins. She wasn't so lucky with parking brakes either...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Flint Ironstag posted:

One night I left work without noticing that part of the hose was in my chain.

How in the what in the gently caress?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How in the what in the gently caress?

Long day, hurry to get home, basic stupidity. Lesson learned.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Flint Ironstag posted:

No, he means the mechanics of it.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
My neighbor just got into bikes at the start of this season. He bought a stretched/lowered CBR 900. The group he normally rides with around my town isn't the best group in terms of riding ability. They all ride around with sweet vest that say "Hayabusa" on the back and mechanic gloves from autozone, but I have yet to see one wear a helmet. Usually it's a bandanna and sunglasses. Well we talk from time to time, and he ask if I wanted to buy his lovely bike, I said no and asked why he is selling it. Well apparently one of the guys he rides with had someone "pull out" in front of him and kill him. I looked up the crash from several news sources in my city and found this.

http://wlfi.com/2014/08/17/motorcyclist-dies-following-crash-sunday-morning-in-indianapolis/

Apparently the man wasn't wearing a helmet, but had it attached to the back of the bike instead. Also, there is no mention of someone hitting him, it says he lost control and hit a power box. The speed limit is 35mph on that road. From that picture, the tail pipe is underneath the frame of the bike, which probably means he was hauling some rear end. The moral of the story, is always wear your loving gear. Especially if you ride like an hooligan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress I could've sworn the moral of the story was "Don't be a dumb oval office."

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

gently caress I could've sworn the moral of the story was "Don't be a dumb oval office."

Well sure, if you're into that whole 'brevity' thing.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It's funny that a lot of people think sport bikes are super uncomfortable and they're surprised that I ride them all the time.

In reality they generally have really nice adjustable suspensions, the slightly leaned position I find quite comfortable especially at speeds with the wind blast on you, maybe i'm some kind of masochist? Usually the seat itself is the most uncomfortable bit if they're thinly padded.

Ok my RC-51 has the lowest clips on the world, a wide feeling tank between the knees, and a pretty hard seat, but it really isn't that bad at all cruising around the highway or city speeds.

R1, GSX-R, and my ZX6R are fantastic I think and I find them all fine to ride everyday if I wanted to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

It's funny that a lot of people think sport bikes are super uncomfortable and they're surprised that I ride them all the time.

In reality they generally have really nice adjustable suspensions, the slightly leaned position I find quite comfortable especially at speeds with the wind blast on you, maybe i'm some kind of masochist? Usually the seat itself is the most uncomfortable bit if they're thinly padded.

Ok my RC-51 has the lowest clips on the world, a wide feeling tank between the knees, and a pretty hard seat, but it really isn't that bad at all cruising around the highway or city speeds.

R1, GSX-R, and my ZX6R are fantastic I think and I find them all fine to ride everyday if I wanted to.

If you're spending a lot of your time at decent speeds sports bikes are fine. Probably not the best choice for continental touring but nothing impossible. I still find upright more comfortable, but it's pretty much a matter o taste in that situation.

The place where sports bike ergonomics completely gently caress you up is around town - with no wind blast you're holding your weight in an unnatural position using either your lower back or your wrists and shoulders, both of those will gently caress you up after a while.

(Also you want to try a ZX-7RR if you want to know the meaning of pain, assuming you're taller than a jockey. To get an idea, crouch on the floor with your knees around your shoulders and then try and do a handstand in that position)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Part of my commute involves getting through some parts of San Francisco, still don't really find the sport bikes uncomfortable, in fact their generally narrow profiles make filter/splitting a lot easier.

Doing more than 80mph can be a bit uncomfortable than my upgrade naked and be a bit uncomfortable, still love riding them though.

Of course a more touring oriented bike like my BMW is hard to beat comfort wise, lots of wind protection and a pretty upright position, I think more modern bikes these days with electric ride-by-wire throttles really should just have cruise control, couldn't be that hard to program if the throttle is pretty much controlled by the computer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Also you want to try a ZX-7RR if you want to know the meaning of pain, assuming you're taller than a jockey. To get an idea, crouch on the floor with your knees around your shoulders and then try and do a handstand in that position)

Like this? :v:

Geirskogul posted:

Flint Ironstag posted:

But yeah, how does a hose get in your chain? Some dingus grab the end of it and stick it in?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I wasn't put there on purpose, someone used the hose and then just carelessly dropped it. I usually looked for things like that, but didn't that time. Now I do a quick walk/look around while the bike is warming up.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 2, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't ridden my bike in over a month from a combination of having a busted ankle and not having fun on most of the roads around here. Today I'm healed up, it's 75 with a beautiful breeze, so I suit up, hit the starter and get the dead battery click. :smith:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Motherfuuuuuck. I must have caught some grit on the inside of my knee today, cause my tank's all scratched up on one side where my knee goes :qq: I should have bought some stompgrips or something...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Let me tell you about buying my very first bike, with beeeeeautiful original paint, and scratching it the first week on both sides thanks to not noticing my knee braces had exposed aluminium screws on them (I put on the braces outside my pants that day just to test how it felt).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the bike was almost completely pristine when I got it. Looks like a beater now - scuffed clearcoat, scrapes, scratches, the whole hog. Definitely not one of those "sell what you bought it for" ninjas.

At least it runs well, I guess :negative:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It will be one of those ninjas for the next fella :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M42 posted:

Yeah, the bike was almost completely pristine when I got it. Looks like a beater now - scuffed clearcoat, scrapes, scratches, the whole hog. Definitely not one of those "sell what you bought it for" ninjas.

At least it runs well, I guess :negative:

You'd be surprised how much of those scrapes and scratches go away if you give it a good clean and wax.