Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sphrin posted:

I'm not sure exactly how it works this time but I've had a armored dude get staggered and go alert when a knife hit him but the 2nd one put him down. So they are still crazy powerful but not just auto kill like LL.

Finally decided to play Ranger Hardcore, and while its been fun the loving Demons are really god drat huge bullet sponges and its weird actually fearing going outside with them around.

Shotgun, point blank, both barrels. Takes 'em down real easy.

By the way, sneaking through the Red Army/Reich frontlines, I thought I was disguised as a Red? They still shoot me on sight regardless. Meh, that's when pipebombs are handy.

I don't understand the people who say stealth is pretty much necessary on Ranger/Ranger Hardcore. Just plan out your assault and pick off at least any guys manning HMGs, snipers or particularly troublesome ones. And if there's a big pack of people? Don't be afraid to use explosives. Ammo is no issue if you keep switching out weapons and using MGR now and again. Money is useless since you'll be swapping out guns so much, it's only good for buying more ammo. Just don't gently caress up and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You're not, you're just in your normal clothing with a coat on it instead of being a red. The route you probably want to take unless you're killing everyone is under the long railway, across some girders, and then back under the railway at the Nazi section.

Side note, playing on Ranger is much, much more difficult than I remember 2033 being because most of the mutants are either bulletspongey (nosalises sometimes take 3/4 good MGR shots to actually die) or broken (lurkers in the couple areas that they appear will clip through solid objects to hit you). You don't have a lot of leeway and if you get swarmed you're usually boned. Also the librarians are far tougher than the original; they will take a heap of ammo to put down even if it is MGR.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 30, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I dont know why you'd ever use a MGR on anything, let alone a mutant which are what shotguns are for jeez guys.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

I dont know why you'd ever use a MGR on anything, let alone a mutant which are what shotguns are for jeez guys.

By the end of the game you have a giant stack of MGR since past Polis money has no meaning. You don't, however, get the ability to sell your guns (Abzats and a Volt Driver) that the guy gives to you in the Red station like in 2033, in Redux you just don't get them, which deprives you of about 150ish extra MGR if I remember right.

edit: looked it up, you lose out on about 450 MGR because you don't get those guns.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Not sure I'm digging the keys/lockboxes mechanic in 2033 redux, been scouring the dead city for about half an hour and keep suffocating as a result looking for the key to the box under the stairs :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Not sure I'm digging the keys/lockboxes mechanic in 2033 redux, been scouring the dead city for about half an hour and keep suffocating as a result looking for the key to the box under the stairs :(

If you're talking about just as you exit the station it's in one of the lobby offices. The safe stuff is rarely beyond a medkit and a couple MGR rounds and occasional ammo mags.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're talking about just as you exit the station it's in one of the lobby offices. The safe stuff is rarely beyond a medkit and a couple MGR rounds and occasional ammo mags.

Nope, the building you go into after, with the lift shaft and the offices.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I found a key in Market, where's the safe for it?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

From SPUF (which occasionally is helpful for stuff like this):

quote:

On the mission dead city, after being separated from bourbon and you enter the 3 story building there is a small room with open windows in front of you, through climbing the crate you enter the room and get the key,
After the key head out and down to the nosalies and kill it, proceed right and around the corner to find the box on the left

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Shannow posted:

You already got the key from the corpse outside the building, right? Language fails me, but just outside the window through which you get into the building (if we're talking about the same one at all), there's a corpse down a flight of stairs just in front of it. He has the key.

Pwnstar posted:

I found a key in Market, where's the safe for it?

Go to the rightmost side of the station, IIRC. There's a lot of bunk beds with people sleeping on them, inside a train wagon. The box is on top of one of the beds, I think. It's in there and it's not hidden anyways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The route you probably want to take unless you're killing everyone is under the long railway

Yeah, I killed everything. :shobon:

Look, throwing a grenade into that massive bundle of people was just too tempting.

Pwnstar posted:

When all you have is Bourbon's AK and a silenced revolver, MGRs are a necessity for Cursed station. Found the crazy quad barrel shotgun soon after though, now I just feel bad for ditching Bourbon's AK.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there no online manual for this? I can't find anything, even on the disc.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

blackguy32 posted:

Not really, and considering the conditions in which the games were developed (Last Light especially) it's not really surprising.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Just finished and while they didn't add too much to the game just the fact that you can play it without some of the issues the game had is pretty drat amazing. Best part is the Ball spawners in D6 got changed so its possible to finish that area without having 200+ rounds of MGR.

But yeah even having played through the original twice Ranger Hardcore kicked my rear end, had plenty of filter time but god drat I had about half a mag of MGR and 2 shells in the auto shotgun. Thank god I knew how to deal with the Librarians this time otherwise I never would have made it.

Feels like I need to do another run through though, spartan non ranger mode and stick with a silly loadout like the revolver/bastard/volt.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

4A's CTO in a Eurogamer Digital Foundry interview: "For the game we are working on now, our designers have shifted to a more sand-box-style experience - less linear but still hugely story-driven."

Can't wait to see what they come up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They rolled up Child and Defense into one chapter, and holy poo poo did they make it easier now. It doesn't feel like the kid hampers your mobility much at all.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Sphrin posted:

Thank god I knew how to deal with the Librarians this time otherwise I never would have made it.

If your method is anything but throwing five knives at their head, then you still don't have it right. Throw knives at everything, be a real ranger.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
The knife throwing is dumb as hell. You hit a guy wearing full body armor in his left arm with a tiny thrown knife and it kills him instantly.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

blackguy32 posted:

Someone put it online here. It's for original 2033, no idea how different from Redux.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9eddggjjggw97h7/Metro+2033+Manual+EN.pdf

Above Our Own posted:

The knife throwing is dumb as hell. You hit a guy wearing full body armor in his left arm with a tiny thrown knife and it kills him instantly.

Not any worse than games that make a bow and arrow more deadly than a rifle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh good this thread's alive again I don't have to talk about Metro in the Steam thread anymore.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

When all you have is Bourbon's AK and a silenced revolver, MGRs are a necessity for Cursed station. Found the crazy quad barrel shotgun soon after though, now I just feel bad for ditching Bourbon's AK.

I'm going through on Spartan Ranger difficulty and Cursed was basically me blitzing through the whole thing firing my revolver into the dark because I blew all the AK ammo on the nosalises right before then because holy poo poo are they tanks for some reason, and they can three-hit kill me (and it spawned six at a time) then felt really dumb because a single revolver headshot will take them out. Two to six shotgun shells for me don't do poo poo though. I forgot you lose out on the third weapon slot in ranger though; that's going to be a problem soon.

Also them changing the UI and watch and Artyom's VA to the ones in Last Light is kind of bugging me, but no big deal. Also they've improved the graphics so much that anything past Normal brings my computer to its knees.

quote:

You don't, however, get the ability to sell your guns (Abzats and a Volt Driver) that the guy gives to you in the Red station like in 2033, in Redux you just don't get them, which deprives you of about 150ish extra MGR if I remember right.

Wait so I can't get the volt driver anymore? On 360 I basically crept through Ranger mode with that thing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 31, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
You only get the Last Light watch in Spartan mode; Survival mode gives you the original 2033 watch.

You can still buy the Volt Driver somewhere. But they no longer give it to you for free early in the game.

The Volt Driver and Abzats were originally added to the game in the Ranger DLC, which was a free update to the PC version but was paid-for DLC on Xbox 360. (And the Abzats was also available as pre-order DLC for the 360 version when Metro 2033 was first released.) Since they felt it hard to justify charging people just for new difficulty modes, they went "hey, have some super powerful guns too!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Above Our Own posted:

In a game with a giant heap of mutants I can see you coating the knives in some kind of nerve toxin made from one of them.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait so I can't get the volt driver anymore? On 360 I basically crept through Ranger mode with that thing.

You just don't get it for free at the midway point through the game, there are Volt drivers still lying around though. Missing out on that heap of MGR because you couldn't sell them is an annoying change.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You just don't get it for free at the midway point through the game, there are Volt drivers still lying around though. Missing out on that heap of MGR because you couldn't sell them is an annoying change.

Oh ok, that's fine then. Though, I think that might mean I have to choose between that driver and armor. I'll stick with armor if I can find another one lying around later. If not it's not like I didn't use it for an entire playthrough before anyway.

Also I will never get the good ending because I suck at stealth and going to town with the big guns is too much fun anyway.

quote:

You only get the Last Light watch in Spartan mode; Survival mode gives you the original 2033 watch.

Didn't know that either! Neat.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Did they make the Tower DLC easier? It was complete bullshit unless you beat it in a very specific way. I'd like to get LL Complete and 100% it, but if that means going through the Tower again, then I'll stick with the regular version of LL for now and wait for LL Complete to go something like 75% off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugh, that reminds me that the Tower was the one thing I never finished. I got a few levels in then gave up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh ok, that's fine then. Though, I think that might mean I have to choose between that driver and armor. I'll stick with armor if I can find another one lying around later. If not it's not like I didn't use it for an entire playthrough before anyway.

Also I will never get the good ending because I suck at stealth and going to town with the big guns is too much fun anyway.

There is no armor by the way, the upgrades simply don't exist in Redux since stealth is changed versus the original game.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah it makes sense that you can no longer get a load of free money from selling a free Volt Driver and Abzats, because there's no longer any stealth armour or combat armour to blow your money on. There's no reason to save up money except to buy cool guns (like the volt driver!) and upgrades. I am very excited at the prospect that the volt driver has a bunch of upgrade options.

Above Our Own posted:

Are you playing in Survivor or Spartan? The one-knife-kill was in Last Light, so it makes sense if that's in Spartan mode. Someone else said that it took two knives to kill someone, I think they were playing on Survivor.

Do those knives have that glowing green effect on them? That bugged me in Last Light. I guess it was so you could easily find your knives again in the dark, but I prefer shiny metal knives to ones coated in fluorescent green paint. (Though... that could be mutant toxin! Heh.)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

your evil twin posted:

Are you playing in Survivor or Spartan? The one-knife-kill was in Last Light, so it makes sense if that's in Spartan mode. Someone else said that it took two knives to kill someone, I think they were playing on Survivor.

Metro 2033 always had one knife kill, with caveats: men in the larger armor took 2 if they were alerted, and all the bits of kit (ammo, grenades, etc) blocked the knife from killing the guy. Last Light removed the latter.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Just finished this up and I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more than the last one. Seemed better paced.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is no armor by the way, the upgrades simply don't exist in Redux since stealth is changed versus the original game.

Well that makes things easier then. Guess I'll blow everything on the volt driver and related upgrades after all. Though I've never used the Abzats. Is it worth it?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Well that makes things easier then. Guess I'll blow everything on the volt driver and related upgrades after all. Though I've never used the Abzats. Is it worth it?

Abzats is very situational, nothing will survive a full mag, but its the weakest shotgun and you only get something like 56 shells. Outside of the library I wouldn't bother.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So, did anyone ever figure out if it's possible to kill Lesnitsky and still get the good ending? I mean, he stole a bioweapon that was used to kill 100+ people, was willing to be complicit in the murder of 25,000+ more, and felt zero remorse. If you don't kill him, it is guaranteed he will get back up and continue attempting to do these things. Yet somehow, sparing him is supposed to teach redemption? Or something?

Sparing Pavel made perfect sense to me as a huge example you teach to the young dark one, but letting the unrepentant mass murderer go because "killing is bad" makes a bit less sense. Yet as far as I can tell, that single decision can force you to get the bad ending.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything having to do with the "morality" by the end of the game made no sense to me anymore, like how saving the giant bear monster is considered good, but all the watchmen you have to kill to save it don't matter for some reason (they're both animals but for some reason one deserves to live and the others deserve to die). Or how killing the dragon at the top of the building in the dead city is considered bad, even after it just tried to kill you climbing up the ladder. Or how killing Pavel and Leznitsky is considered bad when they both repeatedly showed over the course of the story that they were unrepentant, irredeemable pieces of poo poo that would never stop loving you and everyone else over while they were able.

The entire game just felt way sillier and less subtle than metro 2033 to me. I didn't even notice 2033's equivalent of the morality thing until my second playthrough for example, and while it started equally subtle in Last Light, it was slapping you in the face with "YOU DID A GOOD/BAD THING" by the end. There was also no reason the setting needed exaggerated mustache-twirling, atrocity-committing villains. The first game was completely fine with no outright villain and just a grim, unforgiving setting.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Everything having to do with the "morality" by the end of the game made no sense to me anymore, like how saving the giant bear monster is considered good, but all the watchmen you have to kill to save it don't matter for some reason (they're both animals but for some reason one deserves to live and the others deserve to die). Or how killing the dragon at the top of the building in the dead city is considered bad, even after it just tried to kill you climbing up the ladder. Or how killing Pavel and Leznitsky is considered bad when they both repeatedly showed over the course of the story that they were unrepentant, irredeemable pieces of poo poo that would never stop loving you and everyone else over while they were able.

The entire game just felt way sillier and less subtle than metro 2033 to me. I didn't even notice 2033's equivalent of the morality thing until my second playthrough for example, and while it started equally subtle in Last Light, it was slapping you in the face with "YOU DID A GOOD/BAD THING" by the end. There was also no reason the setting needed exaggerated mustache-twirling, atrocity-committing villains. The first game was completely fine with no outright villain and just a grim, unforgiving setting.

Speaking of morality, did anyone ever use the knockout button? It's like you start in some sort of nazi gas chamber and the game is like, "Hey you can knock them out or just kill them". Why would you knock anyone in this game out?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

You earn an extra "moral point" if you get through a level without killing anyone. (This doesn't apply to every level, just certain levels. The Metro wiki has a guide to this.)

To get the good ending you need a certain number of moral points. So in theory you could play through the game, sneaking past or knocking out Nazis and not killing anyone... and then be a bad person and kill the two important characters, and still have enough moral points to get the good ending.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

your evil twin posted:

You earn an extra "moral point" if you get through a level without killing anyone. (This doesn't apply to every level, just certain levels. The Metro wiki has a guide to this.)

To get the good ending you need a certain number of moral points. So in theory you could play through the game, sneaking past or knocking out Nazis and not killing anyone... and then be a bad person and kill the two important characters, and still have enough moral points to get the good ending.

You get way, way more points just by listening to conversations. In the middle of some station? Listen to each conversation for a total of 6 moral points. Enemies doing a station check to see their equipment is operating? Listen to that before you kill them. There's only 3/4 events in the game where you'll get points for preventing something from happening rather than letting it play out (most happen in the chapter Bandits).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The bad ending in Metro Last Light was cooler anyway. (Dishonored did the same thing)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The bad ending in Metro Last Light was cooler anyway. (Dishonored did the same thing)

The problem is it doesn't really leave the series a way to go forward with the Artyom storyline so they'll probably choose the good ending if they're making another Artyom game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The problem is it doesn't really leave the series a way to go forward with the Artyom storyline so they'll probably choose the good ending if they're making another Artyom game.

One bad default, one good default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Both the demon and the bear are protecting their babies, this is why is it not moral to murder them/leave them to be devoured. Pavel and Lesnitsky are both defenseless when you get the choice to kill them, if you are surprised that murdering someone in cold blood is considered to be not a moral act then please see a psychologist. Not to mention you have a literal child with you who is watching and learning from everything you do.

• Locked thread