Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I just had a weird thing happen...I got what seemed to be a typical authentication email from Valve ("Someone (hopefully you) has requested to reset your password at the Steam Support helpdesk...blah blah, etc.")

I hadn't requested a password reset, and the reported IP was out of Seoul, so...yeah, I just figured that someone made an attempt and gently caress them.

...but my contact email for Steam is my work email, and this was sent to a different email address that I haven't used for Steam for months.

Why would someone spoof an authentication email? None of the links/info was dodgy; it was basically the same email that I would have gotten sent for real? Just on general principle I changed my password, and yeah, got the standard authentication email to the correct contact address.

Either Valve hosed up and sent an email to an old/wrong address, and then immediately fixed their poo poo a few minutes later, or someone went through the trouble to fake a Valve email and send it to me for no reason whatsoever? I'm just confused about what someone was possibly hoping to accomplish.

Anyone ever see something similar to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
People are stupid enough to fall for that, so if it takes them no time at all to run a thousand of those, why not? Never seen it personally though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Homeworld Remastered CEs are getting delivered the 26th of December.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

The Homeworld Remastered CEs are getting delivered the 26th of December.

They're selling those through Amazon, which means it's a 50/50 of either Amazon having a date on the books to have one or Gearbox telling them. Past experience says since it's the day after Christmas it's probably just a retailer date.

E: The US version lists the date as Dec 31st, so yes, it's a retailer date.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 1, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

People are stupid enough to fall for that, so if it takes them no time at all to run a thousand of those, why not? Never seen it personally though.

That's the thing though? Even if I "fell for it", I'd click the link, and it would take me to the "change your password" page, and I'd change my password. Okay. What did that accomplish for the dude?

Orv
May 4, 2011

aas Bandit posted:

That's the thing though? Even if I "fell for it", I'd click the link, and it would take me to the "change your password" page, and I'd change my password. Okay. What did that accomplish for the dude?

I'd have assumed they'd intercept it in some way but if not :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Blood Dragon and... meh. I've played better. I enjoyed its double-pack companion Call of Juarez: Gunslinger a LOT more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, alright then. That's like the one game I really, really want to get right now.
On related remaster news, I forgot how good the Rise of Nations soundtrack was. :stare:

By the way, Magic 2015 is a good game, right? I've been wanting to get one since the last one I played (2013) was pretty fun, and I don't have the will to spend that much on the actual card game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Oh, alright then. That's like the one game I really, really want to get right now.
On related remaster news, I forgot how good the Rise of Nations soundtrack was. :stare:

By the way, Magic 2015 is a good game, right? I've been wanting to get one since the last one I played (2013) was pretty fun, and I don't have the will to spend that much on the actual card game.

It's kind of not. They removed the good coop mode, shoved in limited and kind of lovely deckbuilding, and it's all kind of a mess. 2016 will probably have actual deck building and maybe they'll bring THG back. Pick up '14 if you really crave a new one.

I'm sorry I'm ruining everything for you Azran. :smith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

aas Bandit posted:

Some future step on the scam site might be:

"To authenticate your password change upload this .ssbn file" (or whatever), then steam guard (via that file) allows them full access to your account because only an authorized computer would have it.

Some variant of that a goon earlier in the thread fell for.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

mr. nobody posted:

Some future step on the scam site might be:

"To authenticate your password change upload this .ssbn file" (or whatever), then steam guard (via that file) allows them full access to your account because only an authorized computer would have it.

Some variant of that a goon earlier in the thread fell for.

The link didn't go to a scam site though? It was a legit steam support change-your-password link. Either way, I'll shut up about it since it's not really contributing much to the thread. :)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Orv posted:

It's kind of not. They removed the good coop mode, shoved in limited and kind of lovely deckbuilding, and it's all kind of a mess. 2016 will probably have actual deck building and maybe they'll bring THG back. Pick up '14 if you really crave a new one.

I'm sorry I'm ruining everything for you Azran. :smith:

No, not THG. :( Thanks.

It's fine, I can always just look forward to Dark Souls II DLC. :v:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Finally playing the Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonoured.

I like that at the end of the second mission if you chose the non-lethal path your companion comments on how hosed up it is... Most of the non-lethal options in the base game undoubtedly ended worse for the victim than assassinating them so it's nice that it's acknowledged in game :)

Also, the time stop on blink is amazing.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

VodeAndreas posted:

I like that at the end of the second mission if you chose the non-lethal path your companion comments on how hosed up it is... Most of the non-lethal options in the base game undoubtedly ended worse for the victim than assassinating them so it's nice that it's acknowledged in game :)

Congrats. Now you're unable to play the base game because of that blink. :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

Speaking of Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall, I'm currently on the Whale Oil Factory mission and I'm attempting to go through it all without killing or alerting anyone, but on the way to fulfil the non-lethal 'assassination' I somehow lost the guy's body! I had interrogated him and was on my way to the crate to ship him off in, but on the way I stopped off to pick up a certain whale eye, leaving him on a platform with no way off it while doing so. However, now he's no longer there and there's no marker that I can see, indicating where he's located. So uh, what's happened there? Is this a known bug/"feature", or? Since I don't particularly want to have to reload and lose a good chunk of time, if I can avoid it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
If memory serves, you don't actually have to ship his body. Once you've interrogated him, you can just leave.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, I've already played AP a bunch of times, just thanks to the recent discussion in this thread I got the itch to install it and play it again. I've never taken over Halbech or allied with Shaheed, so I'll probably see how that works out for me this time.

Oh, that's cool then. And oooooookay, I read that spoiler, which makes the game go from awesome to legendary.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall, I'm currently on the Whale Oil Factory mission and I'm attempting to go through it all without killing or alerting anyone, but on the way to fulfil the non-lethal 'assassination' I somehow lost the guy's body! I had interrogated him and was on my way to the crate to ship him off in, but on the way I stopped off to pick up a certain whale eye, leaving him on a platform with no way off it while doing so. However, now he's no longer there and there's no marker that I can see, indicating where he's located. So uh, what's happened there? Is this a known bug/"feature", or? Since I don't particularly want to have to reload and lose a good chunk of time, if I can avoid it.

I've noticed the game is being pretty aggressive about clearing knocked out bodies from the world when I get too far away from them, my best guess is he got clearad away with the rest of the trash.

I'm not sure what triggers the clean up as some bodies far away stay in the world while others closer to me get culled.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Blood Dragon and... meh. I've played better. I enjoyed its double-pack companion Call of Juarez: Gunslinger a LOT more.

It was pretty much just more Far Cry 3 with some very hit-or-miss humor. And dragons.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New month means bandwidth cap resets, wheeeeeeee. Almost out of backlog games I wanna play, booooo. But ACIV: Black Flag, Walking Dead S2, Chronicles of Riddick, Arkham Origins, and RAGE will account for 81 gigs for just those five games, so I guess I'll fill that cap pretty quickly anyway.

Steamcompletionist says only 14% of my library has never been opened. I'm living the dream!!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I've heard nothing but good things about Black Flag so I'd say start there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
TWD Season 2 is a lot weaker than Season 1 in a lot of ways, (i.e. the conflicts can get super contrived and characters' personalities can completely change at the whims of the plot) but I think overall its still worth playing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm on episode 5 and I think TWD2 is pretty darn good, it just has a really different tone than TWD1. It feels a lot more actiony and things are constantly dramabombing and the violence is way off the charts. It feels more like a movie than the first one.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It was pretty much just more Far Cry 3 with some very hit-or-miss humor. And dragons.

As someone who had no interest in playing through Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon was a rather nice alternative.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 1, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

New month means bandwidth cap resets, wheeeeeeee. Almost out of backlog games I wanna play, booooo. But ACIV: Black Flag, Walking Dead S2, Chronicles of Riddick, Arkham Origins, and RAGE will account for 81 gigs for just those five games, so I guess I'll fill that cap pretty quickly anyway.

Steamcompletionist says only 14% of my library has never been opened. I'm living the dream!!

Skip RAGE if its' an issue. It's not that long, not that good, and takes a lot of space. Black Flag is great. Arkham Origins is actually really good despite some initial negative responses. Chronicles shouldn't be that big of DL IIRC. Those 3 will take almost a month to finish anyways.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now that I did some googling, apparently Chronicles of Riddick has poo poo-rear end TAGES DRM, which is also no longer supported, which might be why the game is no longer sold on Steam (the GOG version doesn't have TAGES however). So I guess I'll remove that from the list. I also have Mass Effect 2, Red Faction Armageddon, the Left 4 Dead games, but honestly I am starting to reach the finish line.

Which is not to say I won't buy a ton of stuff in the future of course. Wish Steam had their Autumn Sale in September...

e: Once I'm through my Steam backlog, I have games on consoles to play through. Like Heavy Rain :unsmigghh:

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 1, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You assholes all talking about AP caused me to go back and redownload it. This is why I never finish the games in my backlog :argh:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Now that I did some googling, apparently Chronicles of Riddick has poo poo-rear end TAGES DRM, which is also no longer supported, which might be why the game is no longer sold on Steam (the GOG version doesn't have TAGES however). So I guess I'll remove that from the list. I also have Mass Effect 2, Red Faction Armageddon, the Left 4 Dead games, but honestly I am starting to reach the finish line.

Which is not to say I won't buy a ton of stuff in the future of course. Wish Steam had their Autumn Sale in September...

Mass Effect 2 is great and I need to go back and finish it. It's also an insane improvement over ME1.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
There's no thread that I could find, so I'm going to ask here. I was playing Paper Sorcerer, which is amazing by the way, and during the second boss all 4 of my guys were hit with 9999 damage and insta-killed. The screen flashed something about time and then told me I slept in the cell for eternity. I can't find any record of anyone else experiencing this online, so what the gently caress? Is Paper Sorcerer time limited and they never say it anywhere or mention it in game?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah, ME2 is pretty fantastic.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

I've noticed the game is being pretty aggressive about clearing knocked out bodies from the world when I get too far away from them, my best guess is he got clearad away with the rest of the trash.

I'm not sure what triggers the clean up as some bodies far away stay in the world while others closer to me get culled.

drat, looks like I'll be reloading, then. Thanks for the heads-up about the aggressive body-removal - looks like I'll have to leave my targets conscious until I've done everything else (/until I'm prepared to fully complete the non-lethal objective) in the future, so that I can stick to the target like glue, until I've dumped them somewhere/whatever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

Yeah, ME2 is pretty fantastic.
I'm disappointed that there's no native gamepad support (Bioware intentionally removed it) but I may just do M+KB since it's pretty shooting-focused. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and make a Joy2Key profile. :I

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I'm disappointed that there's no native gamepad support (Bioware intentionally removed it) but I may just do M+KB since it's pretty shooting-focused. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and make a Joy2Key profile. :I

If you're gonna do it a j2k profile would maybe take 3 minutes. It's not like there's a lot of specialized buttons.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I'd love it if it had gamepad support, but the shooting honestly feels great with K/M. I rarely snipe in games but I found myself using the snipers rifle all the time, because it was just that good. I'd say suck it up and give it a try just because all the characters in ME2 are way better than in ME1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not gonna bother with ME3 though. Not just because people say the game is bad but because it's on Origin probably and it probably wouldn't carry over the save anyway.

Same with Dead Space 3. I wanna get DS2 but I'm gonna stop there. With EA games, always stop at the 2nd one. Sometimes the first one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I'm not gonna bother with ME3 though. Not just because people say the game is bad but because it's on Origin probably and it probably wouldn't carry over the save anyway.

Same with Dead Space 3. I wanna get DS2 but I'm gonna stop there. With EA games, always stop at the 2nd one. Sometimes the first one.

I would say despite the ending ME3 is worth playing. For the most part it's a really great game.

DS3 on the other hand...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Saves transfer between Steam and Origin. Mass Effect has its own save management program, so it doesn't matter where you got the game from.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

There's plenty of good stuff in ME3, and the saves do carry over.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Major Isoor posted:

drat, looks like I'll be reloading, then. Thanks for the heads-up about the aggressive body-removal - looks like I'll have to leave my targets conscious until I've done everything else (/until I'm prepared to fully complete the non-lethal objective) in the future, so that I can stick to the target like glue, until I've dumped them somewhere/whatever.

Body removal shouldn't occur on mission targets though. If that's actually what happened that's a pretty serious bug that I'm surprised was never fixed.

Also ME3 is still pretty great. It fixed all the little things that bothered me about ME2's mechanics and then some. The multiplayer is basically the only multiplayer I ever play (shame that you have to put so many hours in to use anything that isn't defaults though). The story and writing isn't as good as ME2 overall but it's because some points are serious hits and some are serious misses while ME2 is pretty much consistently hitting on its plot points.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mass Effect 2 also has a really great cast of characters, particularly Mordin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCMgl0QDXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ME3 is also fun, and has much improved combat and a lot of little QOL improvements. The saves transfer through the stupid Bioware social network that they force on you, not through steam or whatever. That, or there's an import function ingame, it's not a big deal at all.

If you are going to play through ME2 and if you liked it more than 60%, you really should play ME3. it's fine. And you can space it out so if you play ME2 now you can easily wait for ME3 to go on sale later on.

• Locked thread