Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Count Bleck posted:

Watch them capture and compleat Emrackles when he decides to bumble onto New Phyrexia to eat some robots.

And then put a big Phyrexian oil rig on top of his stupid tentacle head rid atop by Elesh Norn, right into Ravnica.

Oh also Venser is reanimated as a planeswalking zombie. :getin:

I actually kinda like the idea of Ravnica being re-revisted but in the context of it being invaded and all hosed up, with the guilds having to unite against a common enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wurzag posted:

I actually kinda like the idea of Ravnica being re-revisted but in the context of it being invaded and all hosed up, with the guilds having to unite against a common enemy

Imagine for a moment, a card with art depicting Rakdos and Isperia, fighting a Phyrexian Obliterator, surrounded by Revokers.

Would that be baller or what?

Also the Golgari would totally be compleated first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That's a made up word, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wurzag posted:

I prefer the idea that the first plane the Phyrexian-infected Eldrazi visit will be Theros where the gods have to team up to fight them off, and in the confusion, vaizard zombie Elspeth escapes the underworld and back stabs Elesh Norn out of nowhere with her zanpaktou Godsend.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It's just a nonstandard spelling of complete that MtG decided it wanted to reserve for the Phyrexians. Pre dictionary-based spelling standardisation, it's all over the place.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

No, actually.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rinkles posted:

Actually kind of no. "Compleat" is a real word, an archaic spelling of "complete" in the sense of "contains everything". A quick look didn't reveal any use of the form "compleated" as in "made whole", though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm having a hard time imagining a good outlast card, it seems so bad to give up an attack for a counter.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Here, US Declaration of Independence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a good outlast card, it seems so bad to give up an attack for a counter.

The tap + sorcery speed is not conducive to doing much unless the rest of the "counters matter" mechanics are busted. And even if they are, its in the same colors as Ajani Steadfast.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love seeing these 13 year old kids show up at these big Legacy tournaments with decks older than they are. One of the many reasons Magic is awesome.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Applebees posted:

Modern Tron decks could possibly play Ugin's Nexus. They could use Phyrexia's Core to sacrifice it.
I could only see it in Tron if it didn't have the exile line and you could use academy ruins on it. You already have mindslaver which is better than an extra turn.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Ah, gently caress it, this is annoying me too much now. Anyone remember the name or URL of that old blog which went down about a year ago, and did a load of reviews of the MTG books, collected the flavour articles and all that? Just wanna see if I can dig the TSP reviews out of archive.org and be sure Bolas mentioned Ugin.

(Pace Chorocojo, but not yours - it had a larger scope.)

Not what you're looking for, but it's close.
http://thesickreads.wordpress.com/

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Huh. Apparently I haven't deleted my internet history in well over a year and it was still buried in there. On the down side, archive.org saved very little of the site, so it didn't really help. (mtgfiction.com, if anyone cares)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

Plea for Power, Search the City, Magosi the Waterveil and Time Sieve.

Search the City doesn't count because gently caress that terrible card.

BizarroAzrael posted:

An attack AND a potential block. Not being instant seems to make it really bad. I'm willing to be proven wrong but it seems like a really lovely mechanic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Outlast will probably be exactly what they advertise it as: Late game usable. It's basically an incredibly slow way to build up your troops and is only meant to be used when you have excess mana and blockers. That means your guys, no matter how strong the other creatures are, will eventually out strip them in raw power.

There will be a few major exceptions, like the token making outlast guy, but Abzan is presented as the absolute slowest of the wedges.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So Allied Fetchlands probably means the other cards in Modern decks are going to get expensive as poo poo no? I just picked up Snapcaster Mages because I have a feeling they are going to spike. Even if they're in MM2, I don't expect them to get "cheap."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Both the store owners of the LCSs I go to both say the price of the Enemy Fetches are probably going to go down, actually!

So I have hopes that's the case.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Huh. Apparently I haven't deleted my internet history in well over a year and it was still buried in there. On the down side, archive.org saved very little of the site, so it didn't really help. (mtgfiction.com, if anyone cares)

This site is still up and has quite a bit on old stories:
http://phyrexia.com/continuity/

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Zendikar fetches should get cheaper because a lot of decks would prefer allied fetches - although most of the combo decks will probably stick to Tarns because UR is the main colour pair for combo decks.

If this draws more people into modern, then yeh, expect Cliques, Cryptic Commands, colonnades, Remands, Paths, Bolts/Helix and Snapcasters to go up, because UW and Esper control and Naya zoo mana bases just got a lot cheaper.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Is there a goon chat room in MTGO?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Count Bleck posted:

Both the store owners of the LCSs I go to both say the price of the Enemy Fetches are probably going to go down, actually!

They seem to be down a bit on TCGPlayer already. I need 3 scalding tarns to finish off my legacy Doomsday deck and the lowest price I could find a few days ago was ~60, now they're around 50. Given that Rosewater seemed to indicate (I can't find the tweet right now) that they're not going to print only half a cycle of dual lands (I think it was in response to a question about fetches?) I imagine that they should continue to fall a bit, and I'd wager they're getting a reprint sooner than later. (Still might buy them now... after sucking it up and buying revised duals 50 bucks each doesn't seem so terrible...)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The new inclusion of Ally Fetches in Modern will relieve some "price pressure" on the enemy ones. It's a bubble just waiting to pop and "new" Fetches in Standard will definitely make something pop.

I'll be picking up whatever I don't get from my Box and Drafting when they hit <=$10.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I think that's also probably due to the fact that most people would expect the Zendikar fetchlands to appear in Set 3. It seems like the story structure of the block is Present Tarkir ---> Timey Wimey Sarkhan Fun Time ----> Present Tarkir (alternate). So then it would make sense that in alternate universe, there will be different colored fetches there.

But the mana base for Modern has never been this cheap - shocks are incredibly plentiful, fetches are going to go the same way. The mana base being cheap means demand for the format is going to up. That then means the prices for all the other staples like Snapcaster Mage go up. I fully expect Snapcaster Mage to be more than $50.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mondrian posted:

Zendikar fetches should get cheaper because a lot of decks would prefer allied fetches - although most of the combo decks will probably stick to Tarns because UR is the main colour pair for combo decks.

If this draws more people into modern, then yeh, expect Cliques, Cryptic Commands, colonnades, Remands, Paths, Bolts/Helix and Snapcasters to go up, because UW and Esper control and Naya zoo mana bases just got a lot cheaper.

Why would people stick to Tarns? The essential lands for combo builds are Steam Vents (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta or Bloodstained Mire) Breeding Pool (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta or Flooded Strand) and Stomping Grounds (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Bloodstained Mire, and Windswept Heath). I mean, you won't typically see more than 10 fetches in a single deck. I don't think there are any Modern decks with a greedy enough manabase to require Zendikar fetches instead of Khans ones.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Why would people stick to Tarns? The essential lands for combo builds are Steam Vents (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta or Bloodstained Mire) Breeding Pool (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta or Flooded Strand) and Stomping Grounds (can be fetched by Wooded Foothills, Bloodstained Mire, and Windswept Heath). I mean, you won't typically see more than 10 fetches in a single deck. I don't think there are any Modern decks with a greedy enough manabase to require Zendikar fetches instead of Khans ones.

You want on-colour fetches so that you can fetch basics when you need an untapped land without paying 2 / need to play around Blood Moon.

You're going to end up with a playset of Tarns, plus either 6 more blue fetches if you're straight UR, or 4 U/x fetches and two R/x ones if you're playing a third colour.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I'm fairly sure he found Dunce Foolio in one of the comics that not even I'm a big enough flavour fanatic to read. And Sorin was unamused by THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE. And Tibalt from the Duel Decks too.

This brought a question to my mind: is there a story provided for the Duel Decks? I.E., is there lore as to what happened when Sorin met Tibalt? Because considering the participants, in my mind it pretty much goes like when Indiana Jones met that guy with a fancy sword - Tibalt boasts and makes some colorful sparkles, Sorin just glances in disgust at him, and then Tibalt collapses into a pile of ash. Confirm/deny?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Rules question: if I +1 the new sarkhan and make him a dragon, then +1 Ajani MOH and give Sarkhan three +1/+1 counters, what happens to the counters at the end of the turn? Do they fall off or remain there and provide the bonus the next time I make Sarkhan a dragon again?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think we usually have a blurb on WHY they fight but not necessarily next follow up. I think Tibalt was just being a general dick and Sorin was like HEY THIS IS MY PLANE. And then they fought. Maybe Tibalt had a chance because his deck was better :v:

Seriously: Tibalt's backstory is "basically a total rear end in a top hat, got nearly executed and fused with a demon. Still an rear end in a top hat."

^^^Edit: He keeps the counters though they do nothing while he isn't a creature.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Jabor posted:

You want on-colour fetches so that you can fetch basics when you need an untapped land without paying 2 / need to play around Blood Moon.

You're going to end up with a playset of Tarns, plus either 6 more blue fetches if you're straight UR, or 4 U/x fetches and two R/x ones if you're playing a third colour.

I guess, but with proper sequencing of off-color fetches you can drop the (generally) two islands and still be able to fetch plenty of Vents. I do allow that Tarns might make a difference over a long enough time period, but I think it'll be possible to run Twin and Storm without them and still top 8 events.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I had a tragic showing today at the SCG Modern event playing Junk and I must have just misread the meta (and also not have been very good playing my deck, i just finished it last week) since I went a pathetic 1-4. Lost to my mana a few times, lost to Pod twice which seems like a terrible matchup even with all the hate I SB'ed in and winning game 1 both times I saw it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Just noticed the dude on the left.

That's not an Aven. What is that? (Abzan)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

This brought a question to my mind: is there a story provided for the Duel Decks? I.E., is there lore as to what happened when Sorin met Tibalt? Because considering the participants, in my mind it pretty much goes like when Indiana Jones met that guy with a fancy sword - Tibalt boasts and makes some colorful sparkles, Sorin just glances in disgust at him, and then Tibalt collapses into a pile of ash. Confirm/deny?

There's no story for that Duel Deck as far as I'm aware beyond "Tibalt you little loving poo poo"

Gensuki posted:

Dogmen. Abzan and Temur both have them. The Abzan ones are more Jackal like, the Temur ones are basically Chow.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Gensuki posted:

Dog-folk.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just reading Maro's blog and so many questions are about "Why does Sultai get an old mechanic" that I think he's running out of ways to say "Delve has appeared on exactly 3 cards in all of Magic".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Gensuki posted:

They're some new race of jackal people called the einoch or ainok or something

redux
Apr 23, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I had a tragic showing today at the SCG Modern event playing Junk and I must have just misread the meta (and also not have been very good playing my deck, i just finished it last week) since I went a pathetic 1-4. Lost to my mana a few times, lost to Pod twice which seems like a terrible matchup even with all the hate I SB'ed in and winning game 1 both times I saw it.

Pod is basically the reason I am back on Jund at this point. I played junk for a while and found the pod matchup nearly unwinable. Anger of the gods really does make that kind of difference.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Watching Junk against Pod just looks like "they're playing basically the same deck except one of them gets to run Birthing Pod" which does not fill me with confidence for the matchup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

redux posted:

Pod is basically the reason I am back on Jund at this point. I played junk for a while and found the pod matchup nearly unwinable. Anger of the gods really does make that kind of difference.

I landed a Stony Silence turn 2 both SB games and lost. It's loving unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pod is a combo deck that's also very, very good at turnin' dudes sideways.

• Locked thread