Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im using this controversy 2 get followed on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

lovely Wizard posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658972&userid=108713

Literally all your posts are bitching about how this is dumb, ergo, you a retard.

"Guys this is dumb!"

"Just shut the gently caress up!"

"Gas this thread already"

"No I don't want to go to another thread, I must post here until everyone knows this thread is dumb!"

"JUST STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! MY BRAIN CAN'T TAKE THE COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!"

fnox
May 19, 2013

Does anybody even read kotaku, like, why is that a thing

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Paladinus posted:

Lol, someone mentioned Femen as an example of an effective feminist movement. :gas:light this thread, please.
femen in general is such ridiculous and decadent garbage. Its middle-eastern outpost don't want to help women in the middle-east, they just want the entire planet to adopt our permissive society and to accept anomic individualism. Not one of these middle eastern feminist activists are in any real danger as they are all snobby upper-class secularists who reside in cosmopolitan enclaves of opulence and privilege. They're the arab equivalent of goddam hipsters.

Femen, like Pussy Riot, is dumb.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I notice that the internet isn't on fire. I take it the Pax panel about internet harassment with Zoe was basically boring and nothing happened?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

When the mass media inevitably gets involved, and takes the SJW side, it will be this record, his record, that will remain the only truth to what happened here today. he is the true journalist. the true games journalist.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

#freespeech #teachthecontroversy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've read almost every page of this thread and regret nothing.

I want more posts of that 10 year old telling these fuckers off though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Annexed posted:

I've read almost every page of this thread and regret nothing.

I want more posts of that 10 year old telling these fuckers off though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
This is the stupidest loving thing

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Grondoth posted:

This is the greatest loving thing

FTFY

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

What happened to you asking if people cared?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

THE PENETRATOR posted:

im using this controversy 2 get followed on twitter

collude with some weird twitters and push down corn prices for me thanks in game boy advance

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Incidentally, Gamer Headlines which has done a fine job of reporting on this has another article up

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/moving-forward-worst-week-gaming-whats-next/

quote:

#GamerGate

The past week has been, by a long shot, the worst week in the recent history of gaming. With finger pointing, tantrums and some absolutely vile abuse aimed at so many prominent figures on both sides of the debate, nobody has come out of this situation on top. We have experienced the ugly side of every sector in gaming and it’s left a lot of us lacking enthusiasm for the industry that brought us all together to begin with. Although the original fever has passed, it looks as though nobody in the industry is truly moving on. And I believe a large portion of that is down to the narrative that has been created by the dismissive, sweeping voices that stand in opposition within gaming media.

Much of the anger surrounding the ‘GamerGate‘ climate (a tag coined to represent the injustice felt by a community of gamers at odds with its industry, has transitioned from the petty back and forth surrounding individuals) and fallen firmly on the doorstep of the journalists that have in the past, and continue to, stand in the way of progress. I have talked a bit before about journalistic responsibility, as well as simple ways around potential conflicts of interests, and received an incredibly supportive and open minded response from the gaming community. So frequently now I am confronted with the accusation that gamers are overall a misogynistic group of individuals. However, I am a woman, I am openly and outright feminist, I have spoken out against the treatment of women in gaming, especially over this past week - and yet the responses I have received have been almost entirely to the tune of “whether or not I agree with your point of view, I respect you for discussing it reasonably”. So why is it that I’m seeing articles from other, far more prominent and connected figures in gaming media claiming that ‘gamers are over’, that our culture has expired, and the general sentiment that the community has outstayed it’s welcome within it’s own supporting industry?

This overarching disconnect from the reality of gaming culture speaks strongly in favour of the need for reform. Journalism has become an incredibly defensive sector due to recent ethics and conduct concerns expressed by the community, and a great deal of the response has been dramatic knee-jerk reactions such as dubbing all gamers sexist, or blocking writers from offering indie support. Unfortunately, the defensive reaction of the gaming media has closed almost all formal channels of communication between the industry and the community, and this complete refusal of discourse has only served to heighten the divide, and fan the flames of frustration felt on both ends. When the only means of communication is informally through networks like Twitter, it increases the anger, it perpetuates the feeling of ignorance and lack of understanding between both parties – all of these factors increase the likelihood of abuse and aggressive attitudes.

It still doesn’t feel as though it’s a fair fight, and it isn’t. There are many figures within the industry that carry a great deal of influence, and in picking sides either way have perpetuated the ‘Gamers v Social Justice’ narrative we are experiencing right now. But that isn’t what’s actually happening. Sexism is a real issue within gaming, but it has become a false target, the reality of which is belittled by the unfounded, misrepresented and often entirely baseless accusations being casually thrown around. There has of course been undue and unwelcome harassment and abuse suffered by many people in gaming over the past few weeks, regardless of which standpoint they have taken. The accusation that this outward form of hatred is prevalent only in the ‘gamers’ sector is entirely dismissive of the abuse names such as TotalBiscuit and JonTron have faced. It is entirely dismissive of the utter insult, disrespect and hatred the community as a whole have faced, to the point where we have been compared to a terrorist organisation. Is this reasonable discourse?

Rest of the article: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/moving-forward-worst-week-gaming-whats-next/#ixzz3C21MsroI

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

I love your love of threads you hate. Reminds me of the Xbox One.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Shadoer posted:

Incidentally, Gamer Headlines which has done a fine job of reporting on this has another article up

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/moving-forward-worst-week-gaming-whats-next/

Finally a non-dumbass article.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

EA Sports posted:

collude with some weird twitters and push down corn prices for me thanks in game boy advance

ok

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I love your love of threads you hate. Reminds me of the Xbox One.

sjws have the wrong amount of ram, and also not enough resolution.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
lol holy poo poo. I literally did a double take when I saw this.

fnox
May 19, 2013

you'd think that after kony 2012 people would stop blindly committing to a cause after watching a video :shrug:

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Shadoer posted:

There are articles and youtube videos from tons of places that are reasonable like this. Didn't feel like making a list because that's too much like slacktivist bullshit but man if the cuck conspiracy thinks they rewrote how the public feels about everything they're very silly

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Spiky Ooze posted:

There are articles and youtube videos from tons of places that are reasonable like this. Didn't feel like making a list because that's too much like slacktivist bullshit but man if the cuck conspiracy thinks they rewrote how the public feels about everything they're very silly

Wait, do you actually think it's a conspiracy of some kind?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6PUW_jM-c

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

CrazyLittle posted:

The Quinnspiracy or some poo poo is the name of Cucky's company/website, I know it's a rather regretable choice now.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Why are all of these men white middle upper class millenials?

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

rainy day posted:

most "SJW" people consider getting someone really drunk and loving them while they're half conscious rape. Zoe is the first person I'm aware of to call cheating on your SO rape.

yeaaaaah that often is a form of rape

goddamnit, this loving honeypot loving shitfest

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*latin chorus chanting as a 60-piece string orchestra plays*

Kotaku. Vice. Mother Jones. Across the ravaged land the last bastions of civilization, euality and grammar tremble, the gates buckling against the relentless gamer tide

Through the field of battle I stride, buster sword in hand. The day may come when trolls feast in the halls of King Escapist, but it is not this day. In me, Duchess Rotunda Cucks III has found her champion.... her white knight.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 1, 2014

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm pretty drunk right now and was raped pretty good.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

rainy day posted:

most "SJW" people consider getting someone really drunk and loving them while they're half conscious rape.

You are bad.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CrazyLittle posted:

About that...

fnox
May 19, 2013

it's so easy to offend sometimes.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

jennifer lawrence and kate upton's titties on the internet and y'all in here arguing about zoe quinn's titties, wtf?

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

This is like when Fox News thinks up "death tax" or something except way gayer

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLittle posted:

More like "collusion among gaming journalists who don't want to see their endless supply of comped games and Doritos come to a screeching halt".

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Man Whore posted:

You are bad.

cis white male posted:

yeaaaaah that often is a form of rape

goddamnit, this loving honeypot loving shitfest

you guys realize they weren't being sarcastic? he/she was responding to someone who said most sjws say cheating is rape, he/she responded by saying nah actually no they don't, they consider getting a woman drunk and having sex while she is black out drunk and you aren't is what sjws claim is rape.

i disagree with pretty much everything rainy day has said in this thread but you missed some context somewhere.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
^^^^ conditional consent has been a thing kicked around in social justice communities for a while. It's a fairly logical definition of consent: "I wouldn't have sex with you if x/y/z" *other person lies about x/y/z to have sex with you*.

The Landstander posted:

This is like when Fox News thinks up "death tax" or something except way gayer
Someone posted a page ago about how the sjw crowd is behaving incredibly similar to Christians who use persecution as a defense against their lovely opinions and it's actually surprisingly accurate. It's pretty much the left equivalent of fox news at this point.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 1, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

romanowski posted:

jennifer lawrence and kate upton's titties on the internet and y'all in here arguing about zoe quinn's titties, wtf?

We are? I thought we all agreed they were average at best.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah it's very blatant and obvious that there is some kind of collusion and coordination between these journalists. It's not like they are being controlled by the Illuminati lizard people, but they are definitely working together to achieve similar goals even though they are suppose to be working for different entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I bought this dumb game.

gently caress you, Zoe. Even your game recommendations suck. Imagine Gods Will Be Watching (another poo poo game on steam) with no graphics, all resource management and a even more lovely story.

I want my $1.00 back, you loving purple haired tubby monster.

• Locked thread