Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
So I tried to get back into this game, my first fort. after getting set up was attacked by a were-rabbit. No big deal, my military deals with it. Wounds all around and a poor kid is mauled.

Fast forward to the next season, and the child transforms in the hospital, mauling all the injured military members, the entire room is coated in blood before the were-rabbit continues around my fortress slaughtering everyone.

Then transformed back into a child, crawled back into the hospital bed, cancelled resting because of being horrified, then became angry and threw the bed. Finally becoming overcome with melancholy threw himself off into the pit I have at the entrance to my fortress.

Dementedghost fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So the last time I played Masterwork, the Relics you could find did nothing bad that I could see, despite what the manual said. Now...it seems to have been fixed. :ohdear:

e:15 Necromorphs in the refuse pile, and I don't have the proper temple built yet to get rid of them. Thankfully they're taking so long to break the doors down that I have my military in place.

e2:gently caress me these bladed repeating crossbows are proving their worth. I just had a marksdwarf kill a Necromorph by slicing it in half after running out of bolts :black101:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 31, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So were armies ever fixed or is the endgame still a broken unplayable mess? I haven't played in a long time

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Ahh man I'm so hyped. The rest of my PC parts should be getting here tomorrow and I'll finally have a computer that can make it past year one before choking to death.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

So were armies ever fixed or is the endgame still a broken unplayable mess? I haven't played in a long time

Some steps were taken but bugfixes are still ongoing.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man, I'm so disappointed with how quickly I reach FPS death now, even with small maps and short history :( I'm not sure if I can take it being so sluggish by the second year.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
All right, I'm taking dwarfing requests for the .40.x fort Fogwall!

Here is the dwarfing form. A new thread on the LP forums will be put up tomorrow, hopefully.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I just want to point out that if you're super lazy like me the newest version of the starter pack is out with TWBT and DFHack.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I really wish frostbite was implemented and working because my arctic tundra forts were totally unable to wait out the invading goblins or were creatures, even the naked ones. They never felt any ill effects from milling around outside naked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

reading posted:

I really wish frostbite was implemented and working because my arctic tundra forts were totally unable to wait out the invading goblins or were creatures, even the naked ones. They never felt any ill effects from milling around outside naked.

It is implemented. It's just poorly calibrated at the moment, and takes too long to work.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Danny Glands posted:

Here is the dwarfing form. A new thread on the LP forums will be put up tomorrow, hopefully.

Just as a technical consideration, you are using TWBT, right? Now that we have a magic bullet that permits fancy graphics while keeping the status screens legible, ignoring it would be a crying shame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I just want to point out that if you're super lazy like me the newest version of the starter pack is out with TWBT and DFHack.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

MacNewbie, as well: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128960

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

I haven't played the last few versions (lack of desire to deal with everyone freezing in terror because a single zombie showed up), is it stable enough for a proper succession fort now?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What's up with adamantium? You mine it, but it comes in strands? You can make it into solids, or into fabric. That doesn't make any sense, does it? You can't mine fibers, can you?

A rock.

Another rock.

Fibers extracted from a rock.

Asbestos fibers. They come from rocks.

It even comes in blue.

Maybe the demons are just trying to save us from mesothelioma.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

adamantium is now asbestos in my mind, thanks a lot anela

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Glory of Arioch posted:

adamantium is now asbestos in my mind, thanks a lot anela

Glad to help. :tipshat:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe the demons are just trying to save us from mesothelioma.

Just when I thought it was impossible for this game to get any weirder.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Asbestos clothes wouldn't wear down anywhere near as fast as adamantium and have the added bonus of being flame resistant.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I did remember a dwarf wearing artefact adamantine plate mail wading through a pool of lava to punch out a kobold in one of the succession LPs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Archenteron posted:

I did remember a dwarf wearing artefact adamantine plate mail wading through a pool of lava to punch out a kobold in one of the succession LPs.

TEMPERATURE: OFF

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Plek posted:

Asbestos clothes wouldn't wear down anywhere near as fast as adamantium

Isn't that a bug though? Adamantium is supposed to be super durable, but for now the clothes use the same code as regular cloth.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dementedghost posted:

So I tried to get back into this game, my first fort. after getting set up was attacked by a were-rabbit. No big deal, my military deals with it. Wounds all around and a poor kid is mauled.

Fast forward to the next season, and the child transforms in the hospital, mauling all the injured military members, the entire room is coated in blood before the were-rabbit continues around my fortress slaughtering everyone.

Then transformed back into a child, crawled back into the hospital bed, cancelled resting because of being horrified, then became angry and threw the bed. Finally becoming overcome with melancholy threw himself off into the pit I have at the entrance to my fortress.

if only this guy had been around your dwarves might've been saved

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Started playing again after literally years of not then decided why not and lets start playing with masterwork!

Whats this howling at the moon stuff? OHGOD. What does arcane dwarf mean? FIRES EVERYWHERE. I love it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Are there any plans for masterwork to be brought up to the current version? Or is that not really going to be a thing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neurion posted:

Man, I'm so disappointed with how quickly I reach FPS death now, even with small maps and short history :( I'm not sure if I can take it being so sluggish by the second year.

I gave up and tried fastdwarf in DFhack. Wowza! To make it sporting I set it so all creatures go max speed, not just my dwarfs. I'm getting 8 fps, but everything I care about is moving fast enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iunnrais posted:

Are there any plans for masterwork to be brought up to the current version? Or is that not really going to be a thing?

Meph is on vacation for a month, biking through some godforsaken place, so it'll be a while. Needed dfhack, too, but he was updating his scripts before he left.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Wasn't there something in the last long hiatus about updating leather production? Because I just got 400+ meat chunks from a Roc that wandered into a buzzsaw trap, but only 2 units of leather.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I love you, DFHack. Prospect on embark let me find a site with lots of different metals finally AND lignite finally. Wasn't long before I was trying to figure out a lightweight metal bin and barrel, putting up iron doors everywhere, and obviously weapon traps.

So much more fun when I have lots of metals to mess with.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Does anyone know if Toady is planning on fixing the 'invaders always win' thing? I feel like I'm trapped in my current fortress until it's fixed because I really want the only reclaim in my civ to be a success.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Plek posted:

Asbestos clothes wouldn't wear down anywhere near as fast as adamantium and have the added bonus of being flame resistant.

Also, its not like Dwarves Last long enough to be worried about cancer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Trundel posted:

Does anyone know if Toady is planning on fixing the 'invaders always win' thing? I feel like I'm trapped in my current fortress until it's fixed because I really want the only reclaim in my civ to be a success.

It is a placeholder at current, which means yeah it will probably be fixed, but it will probably be fixed by an entirely new mechanic/algorithm so I wouldn't hold your breath on it being speedy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

putting up iron doors everywhere

Does this actually do anything besides use up a shitload of bars?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

It is a placeholder at current, which means yeah it will probably be fixed, but it will probably be fixed by an entirely new mechanic/algorithm so I wouldn't hold your breath on it being speedy.

the end goal of dwarf fortress is to simulate everything in the entire dwarven world down to a molecular level. it will be called dwarf fortress v 1.00 and will only be ran on government supercomputers at 1 FPH.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nope, not even government supercomputers would work. Supercomputing clusters are operate on heavy parallelization, which Dwarf Fortress won't ever be able to make use of, not even in 2087 when Tarn Adams III releases Dwarf Fortress 1.0 :pseudo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

Does this actually do anything besides use up a shitload of bars?

Adds wealth to the fortress and makes people happy if they like iron I guess?

Door material doesn't affect durability so far as I know, sadly.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Also, its not like Dwarves Last long enough to be worried about cancer.

Some of my dwarves have been over 200 years old, I have to assume their reliance on alcohol is actually a low-grade chemo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Adds wealth to the fortress and makes people happy if they like iron I guess?

Door material doesn't affect durability so far as I know, sadly.

I think the type of material determines how long it will take for building destroyers to destroy it. So rock takes longer than wood and the like.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the type of material determines how long it will take for building destroyers to destroy it. So rock takes longer than wood and the like.

I just like metal doors, and at the time the choices were tin or iron. In retrospect I should have picked tin because it's a better color.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

I just like metal doors, and at the time the choices were tin or iron. In retrospect I should have picked tin because it's a better color.

I make all fortress building decisions based on colors and color matching. Don't have enough of one color block to build the wall? NOT GETTING BUILT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've played a pretty okay amount of DF and I know my way around things generally. My problem is I don't really know how to get into the late game. I've seen people with all these advanced fortress designs and I have no idea why you would do that or what would be the proper way to emulate it. I normally turn off invasions because I never have any idea how to defend against them. I know how the basics of military but not the more advanced operations of it. Is there a good guide on how to take the basics of the game and get into the late game stuff? Am I basically poo poo out of luck until I read all the related articles on the wiki?