Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

EugeneJ posted:

More like "collusion among gaming journalists who don't want to see their endless supply of comped games and Doritos come to a screeching halt".

A bunch of twee liberal arts hipsters trying desperately to prove they are more than glorified ad men for publications that are themselves long ads for EA and Square Enix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Since when was games journalism any good, anyway.

Before it was this it was basically some version of the doritos and dew scandal. Before that it was about pushing you to buy expensive accessories that didn't work, and poo poo games in expensive cartridges.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Which game journalist made me buy DayZ? Because I'm going to murder him/her to death,

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Man Whore posted:

You are bad.

sorry for not being a rapist?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Shadoer posted:

Yeah it's very blatant and obvious that there is some kind of collusion and coordination between these journalists. It's not like they are being controlled by the Illuminati lizard people, but they are definitely working together to achieve similar goals even though they are suppose to be working for different entities.
That we actually have people denying this still just floors me. Like this isn't some sort of weird 9/11 truther where's the birth certificate obama situation, this thread literally started after 5 figures of comments were hand deleted on reddit and people went "wait a second that's clearly weird".

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

ArbitraryC posted:

^^^^ conditional consent has been a thing kicked around in social justice communities for a while. It's a fairly logical definition of consent: "I wouldn't have sex with you if x/y/z" *other person lies about x/y/z to have sex with you*.

well of course, unless it was zoe quinn that was doing the cheating then they ignore it. i wasn't saying you (if you were the one she was responding to) was right or wrong. just pointing out that rainy day wasn't saying that getting a girl drunk and taking advantage ISN'T rape.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

fnox posted:

Before it was this it was basically some version of the doritos and dew scandal. Before that it was about pushing you to buy expensive accessories that didn't work, and poo poo games in expensive cartridges.

This has nothing to do with games journalism. The people zoe hosed didnt even write about her "game." Games journalism has been poo poo and is exactly as poo poo now as it was 2 weeks ago.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnox posted:

I haven't paid attention to gaming articles since like...IGN and Gamespot were rivals.

But the guy who made the Quinnspiracy "Five Guys" videos on youtube mentioned that he looked up to a game journalist from Forbes.

Forbes isn't good for anything, so at that moment I knew something was very wrong.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

rainy day posted:

sorry for not being a rapist?

Do SJWs still not exist, or was that position just too loving rediculous to keep espousing even for you?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

big duck equals goose posted:

I bought this dumb game.

gently caress you, Zoe. Even your game recommendations suck. Imagine Gods Will Be Watching (another poo poo game on steam) with no graphics, all resource management and a even more lovely story.

I want my $1.00 back, you loving purple haired tubby monster.

You bought it? Seriously? It's free online.
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

fnox
May 19, 2013

rainy day posted:

This has nothing to do with games journalism. The people zoe hosed didnt even write about her "game." Games journalism has been poo poo and is exactly as poo poo now as it was 2 weeks ago.

so what the gently caress is all this noise about then.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLittle posted:

Wait, do you actually think it's a conspiracy of some kind?

It's a mother loving conspiracy, it's a mother loving conspiracy, it's a MOTHERFUCKING CONSPIRACY.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Xelkelvos posted:

You bought it? Seriously? It's free online.
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

WTF this will not stand. Kill all indie devs,

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Shadoer posted:

Incidentally, Gamer Headlines which has done a fine job of reporting on this has another article up

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/moving-forward-worst-week-gaming-whats-next/
Her earlier article hits the whole controversy right on the nose.
http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/an-alternate-response-to-recent-controversy-media-abuse-and-women-in-gaming/

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

fnox posted:

so what the gently caress is all this noise about then.

they gave her press, even if they didn't review her game

also refusing to report on it

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Denim Dude posted:

well of course, unless it was zoe quinn that was doing the cheating then they ignore it. i wasn't saying you (if you were the one she was responding to) was right or wrong. just pointing out that rainy day wasn't saying that getting a girl drunk and taking advantage ISN'T rape.

That is rape, lying about stuff outside of the relationship might be lovely but it's not rape. Zoe potentially endangered her ex by having unprotected sex w/ other people which is all kinds of hosed up but not rape. As someone who actually cares about sexual violence against women, calling everything bad "rape" is counterproductive and hurts the causes of people trying to get sexual assault to be taken seriously.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Denim Dude posted:

Yeah but the original criticism against rainy day was that yeah, that definition of rape is actually discussed quite a bit in that community and for good reason. If a dude was on the one accused you could bet your rear end that would be an angle a lot of these tweets would be pushing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rainy day posted:

nah dude. absolutely nothing is happening. carry on. ignore all this. what are you doing? no. no. no. just keep going. pay attention? mra. filth.

fnox
May 19, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I haven't paid attention to gaming articles since like...IGN and Gamespot were rivals.

But the guy who made the Quinnspiracy "Five Guys" videos on youtube mentioned that he looked up to a game journalist from Forbes.

Forbes isn't good for anything, so at that moment I knew something was very wrong.

Journalism in general is kinda poo poo anyway. It's telling people what to think basically.

argondamn posted:

I am absolutely sure the best loving press she has ever got she got it from the backlash from this.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

argondamn posted:

also refusing to report on it

which, again, happened before any of the supposed cuck spree

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Do SJWs still not exist, or was that position just too loving rediculous to keep espousing even for you?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

romanowski posted:

jennifer lawrence and kate upton's titties on the internet and y'all in here arguing about zoe quinn's titties, wtf?

Its possible to care about more than one thing. :colbert:

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

lmao

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

rainy day posted:

That is rape, lying about stuff outside of the relationship might be lovely but it's not rape. Zoe potentially endangered her ex by having unprotected sex w/ other people which is all kinds of hosed up but not rape. As someone who actually cares about sexual violence against women, calling everything bad "rape" is counterproductive and hurts the causes of people trying to get sexual assault to be taken seriously.

Do you play video games?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/an-alternate-response-to-recent-controversy-media-abuse-and-women-in-gaming/

quote:

Quinn is not the problem. The media blackout is, the journalists are.

Quinn is very much part of the problem.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

lol

So seriously, do you still believe SJWs don't exist?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 1, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

which, again, happened before any of the supposed cuck spree

do you have a timeline or something

also pretty sure the cuck quest is real

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

also lol at the idea of her getting any press without loving anyone

she's never made a game

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

argondamn posted:

also pretty sure the cuck quest is real

Cuck Amuck

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ah, so the media is not the problem. Got it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
shut the gently caress up crazylittle

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
shut the gently caress up neurolimal

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

CrazyLittle posted:

Ah, so the media is not the problem. Got it.

"very much part of the problem" =/= "not the problem"

Blame ain't a finite resource retard.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
So we have established that in just the past two pages, that Zoe Quinn is the problem, and not any actual journalists... and it's a conspiracy. Thank you for clearing that up.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

rainy day posted:

That is rape

no doubt. and i agree on your other points. i do not believe cheating is rape, obviously there aren't enough prisons in the world to hold all the people who cheat on their partner. the informed consent argument is pretty compelling to me though.

Dec 26, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

shut the gently caress up crazylittle

Milky Moor posted:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

CrazyLittle posted:

So we have established that in just the past two pages, that Zoe Quinn is the problem, and not any actual journalists... and it's a conspiracy. Thank you for clearing that up.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

lovely Wizard posted:

"very much part of the problem" =/= "not the problem"

Blame ain't a finite resource retard.
So when a journalist sells their integrity, it's the woman's fault. Okay.

quote:

***Quick edit: A lot of people seem to misunderstand my point on abuse and harassment. Quinn is not without fault, and I am in no way stating she should not be criticised for many of her actions - Her personal life, nor the personal lives of anybody in the gaming industry, is owed to the general public, therefore the abuse regarding her sex life is entirely redundant, wrong, and yes - misogynistic.

Read more: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/an-alternate-response-to-recent-controversy-media-abuse-and-women-in-gaming/#ixzz3C2HjDOwP

• Locked thread